• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

Jeffrey

You realize the 6P dies at like 40% battery right? And it breaks in half when you touch it harder than you touch your penis.

i have like the legal flight limit of battery packs. ill be fine for a 2 week vacation.

seems like according to AJ i can just slap that sim card into another unlocked phone anyways, so the 6p will be barely used anyways.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
i have like the legal flight limit of battery packs. ill be fine for a 2 week vacation.

seems like according to AJ i can just slap that sim card into another unlocked phone anyways, so the 6p will be barely used anyways.
Just borrow someone's Nexus. Or buy one from a store, activate your Fi sim, then return it.

Dobsie

My first 6p had the battery issue but Google replaced it no problem and renewed the warranty for 2 years. I might as well ride it out and see if they offer me a pixel or something once this one craps out. (I already know they're low on 6p's now so a man can dream)

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Best Buy

20170523_064943drodv.png

Amzin

Hey all, I'm looking for some recommendations - not sure how to search for this info on Google and pressed for time since I need to do this today, but I got a 5X used from a store that has some hardware faults and they're willing to swap it out for something else (they don't have anymore 5X or I'd just try another one).

I need something that is T-Mobile compatible, in $200-$300 (used) range, would prefer to avoid Samsung but I plan on reselling whatever I get now for a Pixel 2 probably later in the year so I can live with it for a few months if it's my best option. Having a great camera would be nice as well.

I'm just not familiar with what phones might be in that range for used - guessing like a year+ old HTC, Samsung, Motorola, etc. are my main options?

Hey all, I'm looking for some recommendations - not sure how to search for this info on Google and pressed for time since I need to do this today, but I got a 5X used from a store that has some hardware faults and they're willing to swap it out for something else (they don't have anymore 5X or I'd just try another one).

I need something that is T-Mobile compatible, in $200-$300 (used) range, would prefer to avoid Samsung but I plan on reselling whatever I get now for a Pixel 2 probably later in the year so I can live with it for a few months if it's my best option. Having a great camera would be nice as well.

I'm just not familiar with what phones might be in that range for used - guessing like a year+ old HTC, Samsung, Motorola, etc. are my main options?

ZTE Axon 7 or OnePlus 3 can be found used for less than $300

Amzin

ZTE Axon 7 or OnePlus 3 can be found used for less than $300

Oh my bother has one of those ZTEs, thought it was pricier for some reason. Thanks for those recommends, two more models to check up on. I'm somewhat limited by whatever they have in stock so trying to have a tiered list by the time I get there today :p

reKon

Banned
That 10.5 inch iPad Pro is the perfect size for the 9.7 - 12 inch range. That's what I would like for a Pixel C 2 if it ever came out.

HigXx

Sony announcing they're dropping their premium range of phones and just going forward with Flagship and Mid-Range which I think is for the best.

Also - before the latest flagship is even out-
that they have 2 new flagships before the end of the year (XZ1 and XZ1 Compact)

I wish they would just release one flagship a year. Tempted to pick up XZP but the fact it won't be the latest phone by October is annoying

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Posting on China Mobile via Project Fi while in China. Sup Jeffrey.

Sent from my iPhone

reKon

Banned
Sony announcing they're dropping their premium range of phones and just going forward with Flagship and Mid-Range which I think is for the best.

I wish they would just release one flagship a year. Tempted to pick up XZP but the fact it won't be the latest phone by October is annoying

I'll never understand this company's strategy when it comes to the mobile market. So much potential and yet they under perform. Still don't understand why they were penalized for the fingerprint embedded button in the US. This was never made clear. The penalty itself is absurd. Like, why couldn't the penalty be in the form of a fee % from the sales of certain products? Also, what happened to the industry leading battery life that they had from the Z2 and Z3 series? Almost everyone has caught up.

LeleSocho

Banned

The Xperia X and X Compact were terrible phones for that price no wonder no one bought them.
They still continue with this stupid crappy strategy of announcing flagships in two completely different periods of the year... when will they ever learn?
As if they didn't create enough confusion with XZs and the XZ Premium.
*sigh*

I feel like Sony has just been re-releasing the same phone for the last 5 years. Honestly couldn't tell you which of their XX XY XZ ZX X Premium phones is even the latest one.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
OnePlus has 3 things they need to nail

1) Upgrade the camera and the screen. Middling camera won't get a pass this year with how good other cameras are in other phones. Ditto with the screen. Can't be a flagship killer with a 1080p pentile matrix setup.

2) Keep the pricing low. 3T got that random $30 price bump. Hope that isn't a for telling of things to come. A $400 OP5 is a different proposition compared to a $500 OP5. This is especially the case with other phones price bomba'ing.

3) Fix their supply chain. There was a good 4-5 months there after launch where the phone was backordered either for 6 weeks or else no buy at all. Can't be a flagship killer if you can't actually buy the phone. Plus 4-5 months can be an eternity in the phone world. New offerings, price drops, more colors/storage mean what was a must have 4 months prior might not be now.

kaiyo

You mean premium midrange.

The Xperia X and X Compact were terrible phones for that price no wonder no one bought them.
They still continue with this stupid crappy strategy of announcing flagships in two completely different periods of the year... when will they ever learn?
As if they didn't create enough confusion with XZs and the XZ Premium.
*sigh*

They do the 2 releases per year for the Asia markets.

At least now they are streamlining their line up.

I feel like Sony has just been re-releasing the same phone for the last 5 years. Honestly couldn't tell you which of their XX XY XZ ZX X Premium phones is even the latest one.

You can say the same for iPhone and Galaxy. Oh, maybe you can tell with the Galaxy with their tacky plastic design from a couple years ago. With Xperia, the design is timeless, no wonder you can't tell which one is latest =P.

kaiyo

They should keep those in Asia, having "2 flagship" releases a year only hurts their already not great image worldwide.

It seems like they are going to do refreshes for the first half with the -s (XZs) going forward, maybe. Along with the low range and Premium models.

IronRaven

So some of the similar AI based memory management that other Chinese companies like Huawei are doing.

Let's see how it plays in practice. Not sure if a 6-8 gb ram phone needs it, but what do I know.

That's my thought too. I would think that 6-8 gigs of RAM would be just fine for basically anything you would ever need to do with a phone.

Bboy AJ

Nice. Can you access Google services?
It's exactly the same as everywhere else. If if if you're on Fi data. If you're on wifi, you're screwed when using Google services without a VPN.

I actually find Apple Maps better for walking and transit directions in Toronto. Apple Maps actually informs me of subway closures and alerts as I'm searching for directions or looking at the widget.
For driving, Google Maps is still better. Honestly, all Apple needs is street view and lane guidance for me to dump Google Maps on iOS.

reKon

Banned
Anyone here use Waze long term? If I can get Morgan Freeman voice on navigation, it be worth it despite the crazy ass side street routes.

LeleSocho

Banned
Aside the integration with the whole ecosystem that Google Maps have with Google Apple Maps is nowadays on par.
Sometimes Apple can't find stuff that Google does and sometimes Google can't find stuff that Apple does, they trade blows pretty evenly.

yagal

You can say the same for iPhone and Galaxy. Oh, maybe you can tell with the Galaxy with their tacky plastic design from a couple years ago. With Xperia, the design is timeless, no wonder you can't tell which one is latest =P.

lol At least they have numbers after the name ... and they are better phones

Quasar

So all the tensorflow chatter actually has me wondering if this will flow back into video games and game AI. At least on online games.

23qwerty

Probably gonna phone google to try and RMA or refund the 6p today or tomorrow, does it matter that the bootloader is unlocked (but unrooted)?

Thinking of getting a OP3T to replace it but could theoretically limp along with the Nexus 5 until the OP5 if that's coming sooner rather than later and a similar pricepoint..

Top Bottom