• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pixel 2 | OT | The best Android phone gets better

wachie

ZZw68jP.png

SPECIFICATIONS

REVIEWS

The Verge said:
The Pixel 2 has many, many things going for it. Were it not for a few problems — the screen, the slightly inelegant design, and (yes) the lack of a headphone jack — it might have received the highest score we've ever given a phone. As it is, it's a great phone, but not quite a home run.

The Pixel 2 isn't the nice dining room table with the fancy silverware. It's the kitchen counter where you actually eat. It's not as impressive, but it's much more comfortable. That's what makes the design of this year's Google Phones great. They're meant to be of use, and they are.

Ars said:
Most Android phones feel like a battlefield of competing interests. Google is ever-present, hoping that you use search, see ads, and try its ecosystem apps. Then there's usually the OEM, pushing an entirely different set of apps, maybe its own ecosystem, and changing as much of Android as possible to match its software branding. Lastly there's the carrier packing in as many crapware apps as possible, so it gets a kickback with every unit sold.

The Pixel sidesteps all of that. It offers a harmonious device with a single, cohesive design language and none of the junk that slows your phone down. In 2017, that's enough to merit the title of "Best Android phone."

Tom's said:
The Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL also benefit from faster performance than the Galaxy S8, stellar front and back cameras and long battery life. Overall, I prefer the sleeker designs and curved edge-to-edge displays on the Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+, and the iPhone 8 Plus remains the king of camera phones. But if you want a pure Android experience, you'll love the $849 Pixel 2 XL. The Pixel 2's bezels are just way too big and it's screen too small for me to take this phone seriously, even for its relatively low $649.

STORE
https://store.google.com/us/product/pixel_2

Ohh boy, the official P2 thread. Can't wait to hear about stuff to customize. Also, Google are some sneaky people. They confirmed my phone shipped on the 17th alright...they only just sent me the email at around 11:52 just a little while ago. EST time.

Technically the 17th, right...thanks Google.

wachie

You mean "The best phone gets better"
No. You want this to be a phone warz thread?

Regardless of that, multiple reviews have said (which previously said Pixel was the best phone across all platforms) that this time around, it's only the best Android phone.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I've really enjoyed my Pixel XL this last year with my real bug gripe being lack of water and dust resistance. Because of where I work, I really need it and have been using a Lifeproof case which essentially forces me to talk much louder than I normally would when having a conversation for people to hear me.

Decided to upgrade to a Pixel 2 XL because of it. Honestly,just the Pixel XL has been my favorite phone experience since iPhone 3G and I can't wait to see the improvements with the Pixel 2 XL.

No. it's only the best Android phone.

Lol. iPhone by Apple is the best iPhone. What's your point?

Still, I'd say IMO that the Pixel actually is better with how well it actually integrates and helps improve my work and home life and provides me with contextual information automatically.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
By getting the Pixel 2, I feel like I'm jumping into the Pixel line just a year or two before the product really becomes a distinct Google flagship product from head to toe (with a modern design, maybe a Google SoC, and perhaps another hardware or software feature to set itself apart). That said, I'm excited for my first stock Android experience.

While it's probably too early to ask, does anyone have any case recommendations for the Pixel 2? I've never used a case before and also never had any issues, so I'm mostly looking for something that offers minor protection without blocking any functionality.

reKon

Banned
I want to see the Panda version in person. It looks hot. Too bad it will always be difficult to get. That needs to the be the version that they have on display at stores.

Kthulhu

By getting the Pixel 2, I feel like I'm jumping into the Pixel line just a year or two before the product really becomes a distinct Google flagship product from head to toe (with a modern design, maybe a Google SoC, and perhaps another hardware or software feature to set itself apart). That said, I'm excited for my first stock Android experience.

Same.

I look at it this way: any glaring issues that result from that will probably be ironed out by the time I upgrade.

Nightfall

I got the Panda XL preordered and I'm really looking forward to it. It'll be replacing an iPhone 6s which will probably be my last iPhone.

I'm a bit worried by the whole display thing where some say it's not very good and some say they don't see any issues at all.
It makes me worry if I should switch to the smaller Pixel 2. But I really want a bigger phone.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I'd be buying a Pixel 2 right this second with thinner bezels and a headphone jack :(

I currently have an HTC M7 and I'm wondering how the bezels will compare. I'm guessing they might be pretty similar?

The lack of a headphone jack was definitely a point of hesitation for me. I really wish the Google Home mini offer had instead been a $50 credit towards a pair of the new Google Assistanr-compatible headphones.

Switched to Bluetooth earbuds recently in preparation with my original Pixel. Glad I did. Not for everyone, but at least for my use, Bluetooth earbuds are so much more convenient than traditional wired earbuds.

My Pixel 2 shipped earlier today. Just waiting for it to arrive now.

While it's probably too early to ask, does anyone have any case recommendations for the Pixel 2? I've never used a case before and also never had any issues, so I'm mostly looking for something that offers minor protection without blocking any functionality.
Wondering the same thing. For now, I grabbed this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074BCRNNP/?tag=neogaf0e-20

jetsetrez

I really think the XL looks ugly. The super oblique rounded corners of the display look really bad with the thick side bezels. Makes the display look like it's sunken into the device rather than flowing on top of it like the Galaxy S8, iPhone X, and even the LG V30 do. I honestly think the regular Pixel, even with the big chin and forehead, looks much cleaner and more timeless.

prophetvx

Then the s8+ is your friend. That's what I got and the screen is so gorgeous.
Samsung software sucks though. It's always a gamble how your phone will perform in a year with all the crap that carriers can add to updates on them. I would never purchase a samsung again, prettiest, but by far the worst phones I've ever owned.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Absolutely the phone I'd buy if I weren't so enamored with the iPhone and the X. In my opinion, this is the way Android should be experienced.

Hardware is a little underwhelming, but otherwise, it seriously seems to address every single desire I want out of a phone.

Jeffrey

the best 'camera' on an android phone gets better more like ;)

Man reason im getting it. could care less about updates really these days. Phones already can do everything you want them to do, the rest is AI and other behind the doors tweaks.

Just idk for something that I paid $1024 after tax... wish it didn't have such a mediocre/bad screen, and lack a headphone jack. Wish google wasn't so stubborn about expandable memory too, especially now that 4k video is a thing.

Note 8 with pixel software and a better fingerprint sensor location would be the ultimate phone.

Still kinda feels like google is hesitant about this smartphone thing, like a long term... fling.

curious if 2018 they'd stick with one manufacturer so the 2 phones won't have such wildly different designs besides the glass/metal back look.

Anyways my xl 2 comes thursday. Good excuse to go hiking again and take some good fall pics :)

Ah, very interesting! Thanks for sharing. I wonder how it looks with the white model.

If you have a chance, it'd be great if you posted your thoughts after you test it.
I will. Me thinks I'll probably end up buying another case once reviews for Pixel 2 cases start rolling in, but for now it should work.

Just idk for something that I paid $1024 after tax... wish it didn't have such a mediocre/bad screen, and lack a headphone jack. Wish google wasn't so stubborn about expandable memory too, especially now that 4k video is a thing.
I can understand that, but personally, I like Google Photos. I rather my photos/videos just go into the cloud automatically, and not think about it.

Biggest thing I use local storage for is podcasts. For me, 32GB was just enough. Now with 64GB it will be plenty.

wachie

I really think the XL looks ugly. The super oblique rounded corners of the display look really bad with the thick side bezels. Makes the display look like it's sunken into the device rather than flowing on top of it like the Galaxy S8, iPhone X, and even the LG V30 do. I honestly think the regular Pixel, even with the big chin and forehead, looks much cleaner and more timeless.
MKB also had the exact thoughts on the display on the XL looking sunken.

the best 'camera' on an android phone gets better more like ;)
I don't know, despite the screen and other gripes, most of the reviews are calling it the best Android phone.

Type2

Thinking about picking up a case off amazon but the selection is still kind of slim. What have you folks chosen to protect your google baby?

Looks like mine arrives on the 24!
Edit: case for the xl to clarify.

taco543

My black xl is coming the 24th!

Quick question though, does anyone have any usb c earbud recommendations other than the expensive ones on the Google store? Cos at those prices I'd rather just buy the pixel buds. I'm honestly just looking for some cheapys to throw in my backpack and use during lunch at work.

Thinking about picking up a case off amazon but the selection is still kind of slim. What have you folks chosen to protect your google baby?

I'm doing what I did with my current pixel XL and that's getting a live case and a case from carved. That way I can switch when I please.

SMattera

I have an XL 2 on pre-order. Upgrading from XL.

But I'm only getting it because of the sweet trade in deal. That, combined with the free Google Home Mini, is basically like 50% off the phone.

I had a lot of problems with my original XL, from poor bluetooth reception, to the YouTube and Chrome apps crashing the phone, overheating it, and draining the battery, and a drastic reduction in SOT since Android O.

The camera is so good and the software is so fluid. I hope Google has ironed out the kinks.

f0rk

Despite the lack of headphone socket or wireless charging I've caved and ordered an xl.

Any news one when the pixel buds will be in stock in the UK?

a.wd

I've had a Pixel 2 for a week if anyone has any questions!
I can't be too candid but happy to clarify things.

How good is the waterproofing?

I swore I would never get a phone without headphones as I literally fall asleep with podcasts and the phone on charge, but the camera reviews and general buttery smoothness got me wanting to swap in my s8.

JMizzlin

I swore I would never get a phone without headphones as I literally fall asleep with podcasts and the phone on charge, but the camera reviews and general buttery smoothness got me wanting to swap in my s8.

The phone isn't waterproof, but it is dust and water resistant.

It's been raining non stop in my city this past week so I've consciously taken it out to test the water resistance. No issues at all in rain.

Speaker quality is good if you're happy listening to audio out loud. However the quick charge on the battery is legit, so you could fall asleep with headphones, wake up and charge for a short while and be good to go.

Nipo

Uff, 4gb ram only? Phone not gonna last long, for that price it should have 6gb.

Other than the note 8 which released phones have more? Without the bloatware manufacturers/carriers put on their phone i'll take the pixel with 4 over other phones with 6 when Android P rolls around.

tokkun

Interesting that the Verge review called out the Bluetooth as being better on the P2. That is my only real complain about Pixel XL.

Well, that and I wish they would go back to using soft touch plastic instead of metal bodies, but that seems to be a lost cause.

Interesting that the Verge review called out the Bluetooth as being better on the P2. That is my only real complain about Pixel XL.

Well, that and I wish they would go back to using soft touch plastic instead of metal bodies, but that seems to be a lost cause.

Apparently they've coated the metal on these phones so they actually feel a lot more like plastic than they do metal.

Kthulhu

This one from Google:

3pDM7or_d.jpg

Appeasing my inner 6 year old. I wanted to be an astronaut more than anything when I was a kid.

Kthulhu

You can drop it in water, but don't swim with it. It's IP67 to be specific.

Top Bottom