• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I know why Disney's greatest hand drawn film will never be released on Bluray/HD

For years I've wondered why.

Why hasn't A Goofy Movie ever seen a release in proper widescreen in HD like virtually every other Disney classic has? This question is made all the more puzzling considering that the much worse sequel, An Extremely Goofy Movie has seen release in HD on streaming and the like.

So why shun such a hidden gem? A renaissance classic?

Thanks to a recent rewatch, I finally know why.

It's this moment in this scene.

Specifically:
hKD4Cof.gif

There it was, all along. The one gesture that is banned in schools, in a country where many politicians also want teachers armed with weapons, but that's a subject for a different thread. The dreaded finger-gun is here, animated in fluid, Disney glory for all little children's minds to be warped. It is because of the danger of this gesture being "glorified" for kids to potentially imitate in a place like school where such an action can get them suspended that we will likely never see this classic film released in any capacity ever again, and will spend eternity in the banned vault next to Song of the South.

Cu3Qpzs.jpg

Is there any other animated Disney film containing this gesture that is currently released? If not this reason, then what else is left that may possibly stand in the way of proper Goofy Movie re-release in this day and age?

The only other film that has such a gesture I can think of is in The Incredibles and Syndrome's Stasis Beam, shot out by the same hand sign.

Dishwalla

Banned
Okay...

What about the fact that Max kills that stagehand when he sends him crashing into that Jumbotron? There's no way that guy lived.

Sealtest

But why hasn't extreme goofy movie gotten a bluray release? I know it isn't as great as the original but still a great movie

Edit - Nvm I read in your comment that it has seen an HD release.

Aselith

Insane. I was in high school less than 2 decade ago and it wasnt' uncommon for students to have rifles in their car on friday to goon weekend hunting trips right after school.

Yeah, it's really weird that would change after a bunch of high school shooting sprees.

FyreWulff

Why did the movie delete like half the characters from the TV show

Insane. I was in high school less than 2 decade ago and it wasnt' uncommon for students to have rifles in their car on friday to goon weekend hunting trips right after school.

try living in civilization

Dermee

Neo Member
I love A Goofy Movie. I feel like if they really wanted to get around to putting it on Blu-Ray and Digital that they could edit that particular part out somehow.

Shauni

I remember loving that movie back in the day.

But why hasn't extreme goofy movie gotten a bluray release? I know it isn't as great as the original but still a great movie

Edit - Nvm I read in your comment that it has seen an HD release.

I never actually saw that.

There's your answer.

In a pre-columbine shooting world, something like that or as innocuous as a finger-gun was nothing to bat an eye at. But obviously afterwards it became a different story. The finger-gun became a perceived sign of intended violence in a place like school, particularly in the US. Any caught in the act by educators would be promptly suspended or reprimanded.

A quick google search shows that it still happens today and occasionally reignites the debate of whether or not such action against this gesture is over exaggerated or not (it is)

Rest well in Film purgatory, A Goofy Movie.

I think Disney forgot they made this movie. I mean, they went out of their way to re-release Oliver & Company on Bluray. Either that or they don't have the song rights to Eye to Eye.

Mr-Joker

Banned
"Goodbye House, Goodbye tree, Goodbye broken pile of wood."

Why did the movie delete like half the characters from the TV show

Because it was a Goofy Movie not a Goof Troop movie.

I like it this way as I never watched Goof Troop so I was able to enjoy A Goofy Movie without having to know who the characters was other than Pete, PJ, Goofy and Max.

Huh. I never knew the finger-gun was banned in school. I distinctly remember on multiple occasions doing this gesture and even more grievous ones with friends, usually when silently gesturing to each other how we'd kill the other person in escalating back-and-forth.

Good times.

While I think it would be silly if that was the reason, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the reason, either.

Actors and employees in Disney parks can't even point with one finger. They have to use two.

I don’t know, will we see this before the ducktales movie on Blu-ray/HD streaming?

I’m still thinking yes, even with Pete being a jerk at the motel

I attended a talk recently from the head of animation restoration at Disney who said on the topic that their budget each year mostly goes toward restoring the older films, and getting those released due to the ticking time clock of nitrate film stock. He said a lot of the films that got VHS release weren't preserved like they should have been, and would require more work than just scanning the film print again.

So it's a budget thing, by the sounds of it. Priority being on the films that are literally disintegrating, then they'll move on to the stuff that's more approachable.

Ehh, I think it has less to do with that and more to do with the fact that Disney just doesn't give a lot of respect to their animated output not done at Walt Disney Animation Studios. I think they view A Goofy Movie the same way they do Ducktales the Movie: Treasure of the Lost Lamp, which were both done at DisneyToon Studios.

You mean the animated movie that is still available on streaming services like Amazon Video?

Read my OP again.

HD

Also understand that no copy of this film exists in the original 16:9 film format. Fullscreen and UK's cropped Pan and Scan in horrendous interlaced 480p are the only copies that exist.
Ehh, I think it has less to do with that and more to do with the fact that Disney just doesn't give a lot of respect to their animated output not done at Walt Disney Animation Studios. I think they view A Goofy Movie the same way they do Ducktales the Movie: Treasure of the Lost Lamp, which were both done at DisneyToon Studios.

This doesn't explain the release of lesser-known, worse film, An Extremely Goofy Movie, which was a direct-to-video film over the theatrically released, larger budget original.

jobrro

I don't know, they have made alterations to films for home release before and it doesn't seem like this would be that difficult to alter or simply cut. They added songs to Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King. They also removed some dubious content that has been secretly put in the films by animators like the topless woman in The Rescuers.

Read my OP again.

HD

Also understand that no copy of this film exists in the original 16:9 film format. Fullscreen and UK's cropped Pan and Scan in horrendous interlaced 480p are the only copies that exist.

This doesn't explain the release of lesser-known, worse film, An Extremely Goofy Movie, which was a direct-to-video film over the theatrically released, larger budget original.

Actually, I do know that you can watch the film in widescreen on Disney's in room video on-demand service on Disney Cruise Lines. There's also a widescreen 720p upscale floating around on the internet taken from Disney Cinemagic. They do still make the film available uncut, they just haven't taken the time to give it a proper wide HD release yet. If they ever will.

I don't know, they have made alterations to films for home release before and it doesn't seem like this would be that difficult to alter or simply cut. They added songs to Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King. They also removed some dubious content that has been secretly put in the films by animators like the topless woman in The Rescuers.

If you watch the scene in full, it's nearly impossible to edit or cut that scene out without an extremely noticeably jarring cut. It's connective tissue that sets up the next scene, and slicing it out would be a butcher job. Reanimating the scene is out of the question both budget wise and look wise. It's shot on film, so any new animation would pop out immediately and be just as jarring. Not to mention that creatively there needs to be an entirely new way for Pete to scare Goofy and Max, have them land on the ground and proceed to joke around with each other for Pete to witness and grow jealous of.

There are simply too many obstacles compared to cropping an image out, subtly erasing or warping out existing footage, or replacing an image with another. It's a creative cut which sinks the entire attempt.
Actually, I do know that you can watch the film in widescreen on Disney's in room video on-demand service on Disney Cruise Lines. There's also a widescreen 720p upscale floating around on the internet taken from Disney Cinemagic. They do still make the film available uncut, they just haven't taken the time to give it a proper wide HD release yet. If they ever will.

Are you sure that isn't just the UK Pan-and-scan release? I'll have to hunt around for that 720p version, it's the first I hear of it.

Mr-Joker

Banned

That's a shame as they are great movies.

didn't realize this movie had so many fans

It's a really good father and son road trip movie that despite the main characters being anthropomorphic animals, it was relatable as all children eventually get embarrassed by their parents as they grow up but the truth is that no matter how old they get, they will always be their kid.

The only other Disney movies that did that was Lilo and Stitch, with Lilo and Nani's relationship and the threat of the social service separating the two girls.

If you watch the scene in full, it's nearly impossible to edit or cut that scene out without an extremely noticeably jarring cut. It's connective tissue that sets up the next scene, and slicing it out would be a butcher job. Reanimating the scene is out of the question both budget wise and look wise. It's shot on film, so any new animation would pop out immediately and be just as jarring. Not to mention that creatively there needs to be an entirely new way for Pete to scare Goofy and Max, have them land on the ground and proceed to joke around with each other for Pete to witness and grow jealous of.

There are simply too many obstacles compared to cropping an image out, subtly erasing or warping out existing footage, or replacing an image with another. It's a creative cut which sinks the entire attempt.

Are you sure that isn't just the UK Pan-and-scan release? I'll have to hunt around for that 720p version, it's the first I hear of it.

Yep, it's definitely an improvement over the shoddy UK release. The only caveat is that the opening titles are in German, and there's a logo in the corner.

0IZ0E9f.png

Top Bottom