• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

aquarium-age gaf

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Treat for some of you. Set up a smaller tank for some extra Red Cherry Shrimp.
It looks like I have a Fire Red type in my mix.

I'll post a tank pic once I get some good lighting.

t5wE7.jpg

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Scrow said:
ok, that is fucking awesome.

does anyone have a decent guide for doing that particular method of bonsai aquarium?

i found this: http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100611060133AA3ZP32

but i'm not sure if it uses the same underwater plant
While you can submerge a bonsai tree specifically or grow a small mangrove, that tank is simply a tree branch with some tied moss (Maybe Christmas moss by the looks of it) on it.
There is some dwarf hairgrass towards the back and I don't know the name of the plant in the front.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Hazaro said:
While you can submerge a bonsai tree specifically or grow a small mangrove, that tank is simply a tree branch with some tied moss (Maybe Christmas moss by the looks of it) on it.
There is some dwarf hairgrass towards the back and I don't know the name of the plant in the front.
ok, christmas moss on the branch.

what do you think the grass is on the bottom of the tank?

it doesn't look like Java moss.
That grows in long tangled strings.

I'd bet it's Christmas moss. That's a pretty common moss and it looks somewhat like that.

i hoped this thread was going to be about the most awesome aquariums you guys have visited T_T i'll post mine anyway

1. monterey bay
2. osaka kaiyukan
3. london

I did the aquarium thing when I was in high school, and had to learn the hard way about many things. Lots of fish died, and I gave up. Seeing this thread makes want to give it another try.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I just noticed my own Java moss is spreading out and isn't as much a tangled mess.
I'm very happy since it looked sorta ugly tied up in a messy ball.
Lasthope106 said:
I did the aquarium thing when I was in high school, and had to learn the hard way about many things. Lots of fish died, and I gave up. Seeing this thread makes want to give it another try.
Low maintenance, very hardy animals and plants:

Fish:
Guppies, Endlers, Platys

Shrimp:
Red Cherry Shrimp (Brown, Red, Fire red, Yellow, Blue, and Green colors)
Amano Shrimp
Ghost Shrimp

Plants:
Any moss
Java fern
Rotala _______ (I like narrow leaf green)
Most low light plants

You just need to change the water 30% or so every week with filtered or treated water and keep an eye on your pH level in the tank. That's mainly it.
You can start looking at other factors like Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates.
Then even later your General Hardness and something else...

Also I'm totally going to sound like a shill here, but buy a rich substrate like Aquasoil NEW Amazonia. Just have some of that in your tank, or on top of some other cheaper substrate like Eco-Complete. You general want about 2" of bottom so that some stem plants have a good root system and there are more nutrients overall.

Note that you will have to wait and cycle the soil to let the nitrifying bacteria grow.

Mekere

I'm thinking about setting up my first tank for a while now. I will probably see some tank this week end. :)
I will probably start with a small one (30/50L (9/13 gallons?)), heavily planted. I don't really know what kind of fish I will put in. The volume being very small, the only logical choice would be a betta splendens alone but I need to see my water parameters after the cycle to decide.

DonMigs85

Mekere said:
I'm thinking about setting up my first tank for a while now. I will probably see some tank this week end. :)
I will probably start with a small one (30/50L (9/13 gallons?)), heavily planted. I don't really know what kind of fish I will put in. The volume being very small, the only logical choice would be a betta splendens alone but I need to see my water parameters after the cycle to decide.
Maybe a Gourami pair and a couple of Corydoras or Kuhli loaches. I love these little guys.

300_145442.jpg

Mekere

50L is too small for a couple of Gourami, even the dwarf kind (Colisa lalia), I want my tank to be heavily planted, that would make a living volume of 40L and they would need twice that.

A couple corydoras is not enough. It's a fish who likes to be in group, 6 is a minimum. And 50L is too small for that many fish :/

Kuhli loaches. I like this fish too :). But the same, it's a shy fish who'd prefer living in group (3/6 fishes) and need a lot of space on the floor and places to hide. My 50L would only have 60cm of length it's not enough for them :/

But really, that would be my choice of fish if I were to buy a 100L tank (26 gallon?) I love south Asian fishes, hence my idea of a Betta splendens. I really don't want my fishes to be in a tank too small or inadequate for them.

Maybe I can try and find some room for a 100L...

:(

DonMigs85

My old Kuhli loaches barely moved. They were always hiding under the same plant.
At night they would prowl a small area of the tank looking for food. But every now and then they would go crazy and swim around all over.

Mekere

Yeah, they are really shy fishes :D My mother had one in her 120L and to see it you would have to surprise it in the midlde of the night, we thought it was dead for monthes before someone was able to spot it.
Her having only one, was just one of her many mistakes,it was living along with a pleco (died of dwarfism), one angelfish (yes one.. in 120L, it went crazy of course), neons (just 4 instead of 10/15) and all kind of different fishes that did not match each other, no need to say, I have forbidden her to set up a new tank, she believes the sellers too much >_>

Loaches like to chill out.

I had two clowns for about 3 years and all they would do is eat, get fat and "lay" on the piece of driftwood.

DonMigs85

BannedEpisode said:
Loaches like to chill out.

I had two clowns for about 3 years and all they would do is eat, get fat and "lay" on the piece of driftwood.
Did your clowns reach this size?

image_preview

Natetan

i love those cherry shrimp pictures. they're so cute.

i think my guppies ate all of mine tho :(

My angels are getting big! i like them though, we have two night black and two platinum white ones. it's a nice contrast. I also got a nice bamboo tube for my glass shrimp to climb into.

One problem though is the water got hot and the plants died. We resolved it by leaving the air conditioner on in that small room until the ambient outdoor temperature comes down.

Leunam

Does anyone have a good online starter guide or maybe a book recommendation for a beginner? My wife has a 30 gallon tank in storage so I may do something that size but I'd like to do some research first. Thanks.

Mekere

Leunam said:
Does anyone have a good online starter guide or maybe a book recommendation for a beginner? My wife has a 30 gallon tank in storage so I may do something that size but I'd like to do some research first. Thanks.

I'm sorry, most of my references are in french, but I suppose there are a lot of forums about aquarium in english too. Just make sure to read about the water cycle and also that they do care about the fish, if you see people saying that a goldfish can live perfectly in a 5 gallon tank, go somewhere else. If I stumble onto a good one, I'll tell you.

But overall, really take your time! If you want to do things well (for you and the fishes) there is a lot to learn and most of the time you can't trust sellers :/

Leunam

Thanks. I tried the aquascaping forums but it seems like it's more for people who already have the basics down.

Double D

I'm currently doing construction on my house, so none of my tanks are running at the moment. Once I have everything done I'm going with something right around 200 gallons.

I previously had 3 tanks set up. One was a 14 gallon Biocube for my son that had 2 Gold-Striped Maroon clowns. I had an anemone in there with a couple zoanthids. Nice and simple. I didn't have to touch the thing. Barely did water changes. I literally just did it's own thing.

I had another 29 gallon Biocube that I modded all to hell. Had a metal halide hanging above it, protein skimmer, fans to circulate the water better, extra moonlights, etc. That was my favorite tank I've set up. Small, concise, and just plain looked great. The amount of coral I had would occupy a small corner of a large tank, but this thing looked decked out. Anyways, now I'm getting carried away typing when most of you just care about pictures, so here it is.

DzYnal.jpg
EFTdkl.jpg

KIvIyl.jpg
CdCwPl.jpg

That last picture was taken about a month later. I added a sun coral in the middle, moved some things around, and other things grew.

What I'd like to convey is that anyone who thinks that saltwater tanks is too difficult or daunting needs to look into a Biocube, Nanocube, Aquapod, etc. For the most part they are all inclusive and make caring for something like this quite simple. Of course, I took it a little further than some people, but this is actually only the tip of the iceberg (as you can see in DJ_Lae's awesome setup)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Natetan said:
i love those cherry shrimp pictures. they're so cute.

i think my guppies ate all of mine tho :(

My angels are getting big! i like them though, we have two night black and two platinum white ones. it's a nice contrast. I also got a nice bamboo tube for my glass shrimp to climb into.

One problem though is the water got hot and the plants died. We resolved it by leaving the air conditioner on in that small room until the ambient outdoor temperature comes down.
I keep 12 adult cherries with my guppies and they are no problem. I have the giant 2+ inch guppy females too.

Only thing I'm worried about are the young shrimp for sure which is why I have some in their own separate tank right now. Three are berried (have eggs) right now so I hope they drop soon. (Like my photo)
Leunam said:
Well I didn't know anything and I have just been reading around on forums.
The Planted Tank
Aquatic Plant Central
Zyzyxxz said:
Ok I want to start aquascaping now after I've seen these pics.
Yes!

eastmen

Banned
can you guys give me the run down on what i'd need for a 20g or so fresh water tank and how much i'd be looking at. I allways wanted a fish tank .

J-Roderton

eastmen said:
can you guys give me the run down on what i'd need for a 20g or so fresh water tank and how much i'd be looking at. I allways wanted a fish tank .

20g fresh tanks are pretty cheap to come by. It depends on how many fish you want to have, assuming you have found out how many you can house with a 20g. Filters aren't that expensive and if you plan on having fresh water fish, you can have a pretty nice variety as far as community fish go. I suggest getting a few easy to care for fish so you can find out if you can handle them. Most are cheap and don't require much care. Just make sure you monitor your water levels and such.

Right now I have a 35g with 1 Rafeal catfish, 4 zebra danios, 3 tetras (sorry forgot their real names), 2 albino catfish (again, I forgot the real names of the species), and an algae eater.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
eastmen said:
Depends if you want plants or not.

Then you have soil/gravel/sand choices
Lighting choices
Livestock choices

A cheap 20 Gal for plants would be:
20G tank from Petco $35
9L of Aquasoil NEW AMAZONIA $40
Light fixture: $40-$120. Depends what you want. Regular spiral CFLs, T5 lighting, T5HO, LED, etc. etc. Spiral CFLs have worked great for me and are very cheap.
Assorted plants (I would look on a forum near you for trimmings, or on craigslist). Buying outright is costly and trimmed plants grow fantastic, and you can probably get them for cheap or free.
Filter: Tetra Whisper 30G for $30. Cheap, quiet, work great. More expensive filters and media can cost over $200.
Fish - Depends. Show guppies, endlers, platys are cheap and easy to care for.
Shrimp - Depends. Pick a type of Cherry shrimp or some Amano Shrimp.
Food - Flakes / pellets
Aquarium Test Kit $25

My personal 10G setup cost me about $90, but I got some free items and great deals.
Here is a horribly taken quick photo. It's less than a month old right now and has a lot of growing in and moving around to be done.

Bq2FB.jpg

eastmen

Banned
thanks for the info , what are the benfits of plants in the tank ?

Also are normal filters good , should i get anything else besides the filter ?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Updates for both tanks. Haven't attended either of them in a while. Planning a trim and tearing out the HM (The middle right bushy clump). Add a piece of wood with a different moss on it too.
Both I'm slowly figuring out what I want and like.

Couldn't get any decent photo of my main planted tank...

SmoKu.jpg

8tv2x.jpg

eastmen said:
thanks for the info , what are the benfits of plants in the tank ?

Also are normal filters good , should i get anything else besides the filter ?
Oxygen, use of decayed waste (Eventually Nitrates)?, protection for babies, lots of plants can help take nutrients from algae.

Downsides are you probably introduce a lot more nutrients (Good substrate and more light) and algae happens anyway. Usually it goes away and you can treat it with different methods.

Normal filter as in a standard hang on the back filter is alright (it's what I use). It's there more to suck out the waste matter so you have to clean it out so the waste doesn't decay in the filter. But if you don't clean it with tank water you'll kill the good bacteria in it.

I think. I rinse mine out with filtered water, but my fish and shrimp are extremely resilient.

rnON5.jpg

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Nice shrimp. I need to post some updates on my tanks, I'll probably do that tonight. I wish GAF had a bigger aquarium community.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I just cannot get shrimp to survive.

Oh and here's a video of my rasboras playing in the bubbles. They do backflips too.

http://youtu.be/glN_GNaISfQ

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
AndyD said:
I just cannot get shrimp to survive.

Oh and here's a video of my rasboras playing in the bubbles. They do backflips too.

http://youtu.be/glN_GNaISfQ
What kind of shrimp? The parameters for anything other than Neocardina's seems much more specific to the point where most people can't use mostly tap or filter water. So they use reverse osmosis water or buy a unit that makes it at home.
Cherries like the ones I have you can toss them into a plastic bag with tapwater and they will do fine even if you leave them outside.

A lot of them like lower ph and temps around 72-74F. Also the water needs to be very clean, track your water hardness, etc.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Yea, our water tends to be a little hard. And I do keep it a little cooler, 72-75.

I gave up on shrimp a while back. I tried just regular plain cheap transparent ones from the fish store before venturing to anything expensive. Ghosties. They would live for a few weeks then one day I would just find the shell of one. Then a while later, same with another and so forth. Over a few months I lost all of them. This happened with two batches of about 5-6 each.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Amano's should be pretty hardy. Maybe your nitrates are super high? Like over 100?

Anyway if you don't have any large fish you can just get cherries for 50 cents each from someone on a forum and toss them in. Great to look at and help keep your tank cleaner.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I tossed three Ghost Shrimp in my community tank a while back and they've done really well, surprisingly.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Here's my tank update:

2zyegd2.jpg

3.5gal containing one CPO:

no7tyb.jpg

Totally new since the last time I've posted here. Absolutely love the little girl, CPO's are great.

2rrqce8.jpg

29gal:

1 Angelfish
2 Black Emperor Tetra
2 Guppy
2 Honey Gourami
3 Cherry Barb
1 Bristlenose Pleco
1 Ghost Shrimp
3 Nerite Snail

A couple new fish in here and some new live plants since I last posted.

2meoe13.jpg

20gal:

2 Halloween Crab
4 Fiddler Crab

After my male Red Claw died I gave my female to a friend and decided to start fresh with new crabs.

20jlmoz.jpg

Halloween crabs love to climb

e97ngx.jpg

One of my Fiddlers chilling out by the water

I started with a 29 gallon two weeks ago. I have six Flame Tetras so far; when I tame the ammonia, I think I'll add a Boesemani Rainbow and a few Cardinal Tetras.

I've had mixed results with my plants. I don't think the Dwarf Baby Tears will last much longer though everything else seems to be thriving. I'll be adding some Marimo Balls later this week.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Vik_Vaughn said:
What I'd like to convey is that anyone who thinks that saltwater tanks is too difficult or daunting needs to look into a Biocube, Nanocube, Aquapod, etc. For the most part they are all inclusive and make caring for something like this quite simple. Of course, I took it a little further than some people, but this is actually only the tip of the iceberg (as you can see in DJ_Lae's awesome setup)

I've always wanted to try a Biocube for my first saltwater setup but I've read that they can be iffy on quality when it comes to the pump and random leaks. Have you had any hiccups with the tank so far?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Quadrangulum said:
I started with a 29 gallon two weeks ago. I have six Flame Tetras so far; when I tame the ammonia, I think I'll add a Boesemani Rainbow and a few Cardinal Tetras.

I've had mixed results with my plants. I don't think the Dwarf Baby Tears will last much longer though everything else seems to be thriving. I'll be adding some Marimo Balls later this week.
Dwarf baby tears is a high light plant that needs rich soil and CO2 to look really nice, what is your setup?

Top Bottom