• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 - WiiU (Director: Yusuke Hashimoto, Pub: Nintendo, Supervision:Kamiya)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zroid

Banned
The best part about this news is that this might be a start of things to come for Nintendo.

People complained that Nintendo ignored the 'core' gamers with the Wii.

It's pretty obvious that Nintendo listened and is doing everything it can to satisfy that audience with their new console. This is good news no matter how you try to spin it.

I have too much hype for Wii U right now :(

it's not healthy

Glass Rebel

If you want to be mad at anyone, be mad at Sega. It's their fault this happened. They canceled Bayo 2 when it was in pre-production. Nintendo saved it from the brink. I don't think enough people realize this.

I'm just glad it's coming out.

haha for a moment I thought you were saying sega had the cash to fund and release another bayonetta hahaha

haha

oh man

Bayo 2 was cancelled and likely didn't have a future before this, given Sega's stated plans for the future in terms of what franchises to focus on.

That was ironic indignance. The fact that "Bayonetta 2 exists and is being made" has elicited anything other than an outpouring of joy just shows how dug in some people with their Nintendo hate. Of course, I was already planning to buy a WiiU. :D

Gartooth

I played Bayonetta over the summer for the first time and I felt like punching myself in the gut afterwards for putting it off for so long. Fantastic game, and it is great to hear that it has been revived no matter the platform that it is on.

good pick-up for the WiiU.
Everyone that's whining about the fan base being on the PS3 and 360- what the hell do you think Nintendo is trying to do here?

They are trying to bring you in. Smart move.

I also love a good third-party console 'exclusive' reveal in this day and age, as rare as it is. :lol

No Kamiya direction makes me less interested in this, but will definitely keep an eye on how it goes. Wii U purchase not that likely for me, but if it ever becomes cheap enough, this might push me to buying it.

StuBurns

Banned
I'd think this could make Wii U a safe haven of sorts. That's why it would be smart for developers to gather up support now so they won't have to break the bank and inevitabley close down if things go poorly on the 720/PS4.
Unless the WiiU does insanely well, I don't see how that's viable.

The price of making a 'AAA' Durango/Orbis game isn't going to be multiplication of the PS360 games. Unless the WiiU install base completely dwarfs the combined PS4/XB8 installbase, it's not going to be anymore viable to make games on there.

If anything, the 3DS is the only 'haven' left.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
She also got new guns I guess. They blue instead of purple like Scarborough fair

HardRojo

I've never seen a Nintendo fan say "we don't need watchdogs" or imply that it looks bad -- you are so shit at this VJC...

Wii-U could definitely do with a version of Watch_Dogs. I hope it gets it. If it doesn't get it though, I doubt you'll witness as much crying as you've seen in this thread.

What would you know? Wii owners never had to worry about PS360 titles not coming to their console because they (the titles) never did and that's how it's been the whole time so it's just to be expected that they wouldn't start a ruckus about a title that's coming to PS360 only becase that's how it has been ALL the time!
Now, Bayonetta 2 is announced and PS360 owners are being stripped of one of the titles they've grown to love on their console and even worse the game is announced for a system that isn't even out so it's just natural that they would get upset, seriously some people...

Jarmel

Banned
I have no clue why anyone would be bitter about this. None at all. If Nintendo didn't pick this up, it would be dead. Yes it may suck that it didn't come out on the system of your preference, but it wasn't going to happen anyway. Atleast this way you can possibly play this down the road.

On the other hand i admit us Nintendo fans can get a bit defensive, But once again thread after thread after thread we have persistent posters coming in just to be Mr. Negative, or "lol Nintendo", And this is a prime example.
People know for a fact, Nintendo saved this game from otherwise not existing. But noooo its not good enough. Meanwhile ninten-gaf are a bit over-fucking-joyed that for the first time in ages an established exclusive is coming to our console of choice and instead of being able to talk about it we have to put up with almost a third of over 2000 post coming in not to add anything, but just to port beg and point out they are still not buying a console they obviously have no intention of getting in the first place regardless.

demidar

What would you know? Wii owners never had to worry about PS360 titles not coming to their console because they (the titles) never did and that's how it's been the whole time so it's just to be expected that they wouldn't start a ruckus about a title that's coming to PS360 only becase that's how it has been ALL the time!
Now, Bayonetta 2 is announced and PS360 owners are being stripped of one of the titles they've grown to love on their console and even worse the game is announced for a system that isn't even out so it's just natural that they would get upset, seriously some people...

Wow scathing!

My only issue is that the classic sega references may be removed, in lieu of Nintendo ones.

No sonic rings, no eggman, no space harrier level, no remixed sega music etc.

Otherwise, I don't give a fuck. I would never of bought a wii u otherwise but Bayonetta means I'll inject Nintendo up my veins, even as a sega baby.

The game is that fucking good.

I probably won't buy at launch still though. I'll buy a copy of Bayo and wait

Also this basically means most likely platinum and Nintendo are going to stay buddies for a very very long time.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Honestly, I don't see the problem. In an age where 99% of third party titles on home consoles are multiplatform, I wouldn't mind seeing a return to exclusives on a larger scale. With 3 HD consoles on the field, the overlap between titles is overwhelming. What's the point (outside of first party games) to buying multiple systems if they all have the same third party titles with varying degrees of quality (and sometimes content)?

Will it last? It's too early to say. They did the same thing with the Wii at one point and we all saw the results of that.

But as for Bayonetta 2... it's obvious Nintendo stepped in to save it from the grave. Better that than no game at all, right?

Definitely better than no game at all. Although the problem would be bringing the Bayonetta fanbase to a completely different (and unproven, but since this is Nintendo, yeah...) system since the original game was released on different and still-active consoles.

I'm a Bayonetta fan sure, but I'm not buying a Wii U for this. I'm just happy the game has been uncancelled.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Definitely better than no game at all. Although the problem would be bringing the Bayonetta fanbase to a completely different (and unproven, but since this is Nintendo, yeah...) system since the original game was released on different and still-active consoles.

I'm a Bayonetta fan sure, but I'm not buying a Wii U for this. I'm just happy the game has been uncancelled.

Now Bayonetta fans will know how Kingdom Hearts fans feel!

Really, this is what the future may hold.

Many have resisted the suggestion that the 8th generation could be another PS2/Gamecube/Xbox stratification because, so the logic goes, the Wii U will still be too far behind the other two consoles for it to still receive a significant number of multiplatform titles. The PS2 was different, they said. It was riding on the success of the PS1.

That is a valid point. But...

... the Wii U, weirdly enough, may be riding on something different - the struggle of publishers and developers to survive the direction this gen has gone. Something similar was theorized about the Wii, and since Nobody Plays Wii Games (tm) a lot of people this gen didn't notice that the Wii did in fact get a lot of formerly midrange games as you would have seen on the Playstation 2. Mostly from Japanese developers. Now we have Wii U, where the looming expense of 8th gen development is just going to make things worse. For all the claims that "it won't really be more expensive." I find that an optimistic expectation.

Wii U could benefit from circumstances forcing another PS2/Gamecube/Xbox scenario. In this case, Wii U plays the PS2 and it does end up getting a lot of multiplatform games combined with a lot of major exclusives aimed at the core audience - mostly Japanese games. The multiplatform games Wii U receives could end up being the Call of Duties - games like that. Games where the graphics and technology where never the selling point this gen, and even on the HD consoles, such things were intentionally sacrificed in the name of gameplay (60fps).

If Nintendo is serious about rebuilding their brand with the core audience, it could turn out the best thing they could possibly do would be to secure the Bayonettas, Monster Hunters, and everything along those lines. These are the games that more and more people in the core gaming world have been dissatisfied with the lack of.
It's an interesting reasoning but there's one part I don't understand: if current gen development costs have driven a number of pubs/devs into the ground, why wouldn't developing for Wii U bring about an equivalent result ?

Considering it appears to be essentially a souped up version of the HD twins, what would make releasing games for it less risky?

I've been under the impression these past few years that overbudgeting games, having too much ride on too few projects was the point of failure and I honestly can't see how intrinsically Wii U could change that. I get that "having mid-sized projects" is probably the answer but I can't see why Wii U would spontaneously bring these about.

GCX

It makes me a little sad though that nobody had meltdowns like this when Nintendo showed a brand new IP from Kamiya.

Beckx

Really, this is what the future may hold.

Many have resisted the suggestion that the 8th generation could be another PS2/Gamecube/Xbox stratification because, so the logic goes, the Wii U will still be too far behind the other two consoles for it to still receive a significant number of multiplatform titles. The PS2 was different, they said. It was riding on the success of the PS1.

That is a valid point. But...

... the Wii U, weirdly enough, may be riding on something different - the struggle of publishers and developers to survive the direction this gen has gone. Something similar was theorized about the Wii, and since Nobody Plays Wii Games (tm) a lot of people this gen didn't notice that the Wii did in fact get a lot of formerly midrange games as you would have seen on the Playstation 2. Mostly from Japanese developers. Now we have Wii U, where the looming expense of 8th gen development is just going to make things worse. For all the claims that "it won't really be more expensive." I find that an optimistic expectation.

Wii U could benefit from circumstances forcing another PS2/Gamecube/Xbox scenario. In this case, Wii U plays the PS2 and it does end up getting a lot of multiplatform games combined with a lot of major exclusives aimed at the core audience - mostly Japanese games. The multiplatform games Wii U receives could end up being the Call of Duties - games like that. Games where the graphics and technology where never the selling point this gen, and even on the HD consoles, such things were intentionally sacrificed in the name of gameplay (60fps).

If Nintendo is serious about rebuilding their brand with the core audience, it could turn out the best thing they could possibly do would be to secure the Bayonettas, Monster Hunters, and everything along those lines. These are the games that more and more people in the core gaming world have been dissatisfied with the lack of.

This was the second best thing I've read today, the first being Bayonetta 2 existing.

I hope what you're talking about comes to fruition, my biggest complaint about this gen and my biggest worry about next-gen is what it's done to the middle of the market.

Most likely that this is a self fulfilling prophecy.

The Wii U is a system that is not out yet. So far, there is apparently at least 1 game that Broktasten wants that will be available within "Launch window."

Rather than say something like, "hey, good start," or "I'll keep my eye out then," his response is to be frustrated that the Nintendo system is getting any games he personally wants.

Well, obviously the Nintendo system won't be something you want if you are upset every time an appealing game is announced for it.

Angry? What? I'm not even frustrated or upset. I read the news, said "Well, shit.", saw Aeana's post and tried to explain some reactions, because it seemed obvious. I guess not.

Let me tell you how I really felt about this news: "It's a bummer". And that's it.

It's stupid, generalizing posts like yours that make me angry. I really don't know how the fuck anyone could read so much into so little. So please, next time you try to be clever, think first before you hit the reply button.

It's not Nintendo's fault that you dislike them...

Nintendo is obviously trying to get games on their system...I'd be surprised if Bayonetta ends up being the only game on the system that interests you...there will be more especially if you like Japanese developed games.

Of course it's not Nintendo's fault. I never said that. I just don't care about Nintendo. Literally. That doesn't mean I dislike or hate them or want their games on other platforms or anything.

7threst

My only issue is that the classic sega references may be removed, in lieu of Nintendo ones.

Otherwise, I don't give a fuck. I would never of bought a wii u otherwise but Bayonetta means I'll inject Nintendo up my veins, even as a sega baby.

Also this basically means most likely platinum and Nintendo are going to stay buddies for a very very long time.

It's Platinum. I bet they come up with some creative ways to make it work with Nintendo references if Sega references aren't allowed. I prefer both though.

It's an interesting reasoning but there's one part I don't understand: if current gen development costs have driven a number of pubs/devs into the ground, why wouldn't developing for Wii U bring about an equivalent result ?

Considering it appears to be essentially a souped up version of the HD twins, what would make releasing games for it less risky?

I've been under the impression these past few years that overbudgeting games, having too much ride on too few projects was the point of failure and I honestly can't see how intrinsically Wii U could change that. I get that "having mid-sized projects" is probably the answer but I can't see why Wii U would spontaneously bring these about.

The HD tools and process have already been established compared to the beginning of the gen when everyone was in the same boat, learning how to use HD consoles. It's basically a modification of whats already existing instead of upgrading. Going towards stronger hardware requires new tools and processes which can be expensive.

The price of making a 'AAA' Durango/Orbis game isn't going to be multiplication of the PS360 games. Unless the WiiU install base completely dwarfs the combined PS4/XB8 installbase, it's not going to be anymore viable to make games on there.

I was under the impression it will be, but I can't say I'm an expert on game budgets or anything. I'll take your word for it.

MrBS

Holy shit this is what I wake up to?

tumblr_luqljtP7vA1qii6tmo1_250.gif

YES!!!!

ezekial45

Banned

Sega is still involved with the project.

Opiate

Multiples of Wii U? That's difficult to say. Budgets will continue to increase, however, and at some point all games and franchises will reach a point where they cannot feasibly continue to climb upward in cost.

Further, the rate at which games reach this point will vary by genre and franchise; obviously Call of Duty, for example, can climb for a much longer period than can Bayonetta, or even Metal Gear Solid can.

And I think you'll find, generally, that there are a good number of Japanese franchises hitting their "cost ceiling" at around the PS3/360 threshold. Heck, many (such as Disgaea) met that threshold before then, and others met it so long ago that they have long since moved to handhelds.

By contrast, the Western solution to a franchise that can no longer escalate in scope and production value is to simply put the franchise to rest. It doesn't go to handhelds, or become a scaled down affair like Disgaea on PS3 in Japan, it simply stops being made, with the distant hope that some day it may be reborn as a retro franchise on Xbox Live.

I really don't know enough to say if there are a few franchises that will be unable to make the leap to PS4/720 or a lot of franchises that fit this description, but we may find out. Western franchises, as said, will likely just cease to exist rather than be relegated to a single, weaker platform like the Wii U -- but Japan doesn't seem to function in that manner, so this is at least a possibility.

zroid

Banned
Exclusive?

http://i.imgur.com/jsZIl.gif[IMG]

Bayonetta is one of my favourite games this gen, but I'm not buying a console for it[/QUOTE]

Don't worry, I'll tell you all about how awesome it is. It'll be the next best thing to playing it yourself!

[quote="GCX, post: 42085870"]It makes me a little sad though that nobody had meltdowns like this when Nintendo showed a brand new IP from Kamiya.[/QUOTE]

There were some mad kiddies for sure, but also a lot of people who dismissed it because of its aesthetics or Pikmin vibe or any number of reasons. I guess that's not so easy to do with Bayo 2.

Sour grapes instead of meltdowns.

It makes me a little sad though that nobody had meltdowns like this when Nintendo showed a brand new IP from Kamiya.

Don't you remember the P-100 announcement at E3? For the first couple pages people were claiming that the game was shovelware crap that General Nintendochet had forced an unwilling Kamiya to create in a torture chamber.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom