• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MoviePass (Unlimited Films in Theaters) Drops to $9.95 a Month

Sean

Banned
Decided to see Kingsman today and it turns out the showtime I picked in MoviePass was a Dolby Cinema reserved seating one (which shouldn't have been selectable). I checked in and then when I went to purchase the ticket at the kiosk it said I didn't have enough - the MoviePass card covered $14.90 and I had to pay $5.39 out of pocket (ticket cost was $20.29).

Considering how much money I've saved using MP i'm not going to cry over 5 bucks, but thought I should warn people to be careful. Always cross reference with Fandango or something to see if it's a "premium" showing, cause MoviePass fucks up sometimes.

Ashhong

Decided to see Kingsman today and it turns out the showtime I picked in MoviePass was a Dolby Cinema reserved seating one (which shouldn't have been selectable). I checked in and then when I went to purchase the ticket at the kiosk it said I didn't have enough - MoviePass covered $14.90 and I had to pay $5.39 out of pocket (ticket cost was $20.29).

Considering how much money I've saved using MP i'm not going to cry over 5 bucks, but thought I should warn people to be careful. Always cross reference with Fandango or something, cause MoviePass fucks up sometimes.

Sounds more like a bonus rather than a fuck up imo. 5$ for Dolby Cinema is a steal. Goddamn love Dolby theaters.

But yea, that is technically not allowed

Lucario

I just realized moviepass has never charged me at all.

Checked on my membership, and my next billing date is eighty years in the future.

Apath

Sounds more like a bonus rather than a fuck up imo. 5$ for Dolby Cinema is a steal. Goddamn love Dolby theaters.

But yea, that is technically not allowed
Same thing happened to me and I considered it lucking out. IMO if I book the movie through the Moviepass app and it turns out to be the wrong type, that is on them and not me.

I got into one movie this month (with hiccups) and two failed attempts, the last being tonight. I was set to see Baby Driver and the theaters were showing this afternoon and now that apparently everyone subbed is checking it their servers can't handle and the app is one again unresponsive. I even borrowed my SO's newer phone for this.

I'm unsubbing for the time being. Don't be too eager to get your cards yall, there will be more load and you might get the same result.

Been waiting 5 weeks now for my card. I don't think it's ever coming. Congrats, MoviePass! You basically stole $10 from me and there's nothing I can do about it. What a great service.

Boogs31

This is a cluster f of stuff lol.

So I get a card yesterday. It's not the same card that is mentioned in the app. Now I receive an email saying my card is shipping and should be here within 5 business days lol.

I'm in the same boat. So I'm guessing we'll be receiving a second card and the card we currently have doesn't work?

I hope I get Moviepass one day. Ill be an old man when I get my card and ill be like that Simpsons meme of Old Man yells at Clouds. As Ill be yelling for my Moviepass card and my Grandkids will think I gone senile and send me to retirement home :(

louiedog

Finally used mine today to see Kingsman. I was reminded why I prefer to go to Alamo Drafthouse where I have to buy tickets the day they go on sale for new releases like this. There was a family to my right with inappropriately young kids who ended up being fine, but the parents kept making noise. On my girlfriend's left was a guy who pulled out his phone for a minute. If he'd been on my side I'd have shoved my face in it and asked, "hey, what are we looking at over here?"

Maybe I'll stick to popular movies in week 3-4 from now on so I can either go to Drafthouse or be in a less empty theater.

maruchan

i got my card a few days ago, i waited about a month to get to me. i tried it today for kingsman, man what an awesome process. im going to use to see it tomorrow..

So, got the card yesterday. There's a showing tonight at 9:15 that I want to go to but I'm worried it might sell out. If I go to the theatre this afternoon when the box office opens and buy the ticket for later tonight, that's not some weird TOS violation, right?

SSPssp

So, got the card yesterday. There's a showing tonight at 9:15 that I want to go to but I'm worried it might sell out. If I go to the theatre this afternoon when the box office opens and buy the ticket for later tonight, that's not some weird TOS violation, right?

Just make sure to select the 9:15 show in the app and its completely fine. You can buy a ticket for any time on the same day.

Arttemis

I've been charged for the second month of service despite ordering more than five weeks ago and not receiving anything yet.

The CEO says October 8th is the latest day for anyone to receive the card after ordering within the August 15-20 period.

This is so fucking frustrating. Movies I was hoping to watch with it are already gone from the theater. My girlfriend has hers for almost a month and she ordered two days after I did.

KyleCross

Welp, ordered August 17th and still no card. Looks like I can't see Spiderman now, my local theatres only show it once in a blue moon.

I've been charged for the second month of service despite ordering more than five weeks ago and not receiving anything yet.

The CEO says October 8th is the latest day for anyone to receive the card after ordering within the August 15-20 period.

This is so fucking frustrating. Movies I was hoping to watch with it are already gone from the theater. My girlfriend has hers for almost a month and she ordered two days after I did.

Did you try to buy an e-ticket at a theater not in your area in the first week? That should be the only way you got charged, triggering an e-ticket (even if you didn't use it), otherwise you shouldn't be charged until you actually you first use the moviepass card.

rjinaz

I just realized moviepass has never charged me at all.

Checked on my membership, and my next billing date is eighty years in the future.

Same here. I have the same billing date too.

I'm going to guess that it's because we're technically in a trial for a month. I'm assuming I'll be charged within the next two weeks.

I'm likely going to cancel though, just because while I have used it twice in a month, the total cost for each ticket was $5 anyway so I broke even (if I got charged that is). AMC is just too far for me to go regularly, I wish it wasn't, I'd be using this almost daily and it would be amazing.

Anyway I'm not going to cancel until I know I'm going to be charged though!.

SSPssp

I'm on the free trial (month) and I'm not seeing any billing date whatsoever. I assume that will change 30 days after I first used it but who knows.

Neece

It's such a satisfying feeling using the card. For some reason I'm always a little nervous that the card will decline so those 5 seconds waiting makes me anxious before a big relief as the tickets begin printing.

Every time it goes through I feel like I'm getting away with something too good to be true. Even the guy at the counter the other day said it was an amazing deal and he would be getting it once he stopped working there (since he gets free movies as an employee).

LogicStep

So my card was in the mail today. I think I remember reading here that once you get it you have to activate it? I don't see that option anywhere. On the app it says my card is processing.

So my card was in the mail today. I think I remember reading here that once you get it you have to activate it? I don't see that option anywhere. On the app it says my card is processing.

It auto-activates the first time you do a 'check in' to load the card with the ticket money.

The Argus

Got my card! Tried to activate it, but when I type my last 4 digits, nothing appears on the screen, it's just blank but the cursor moves. Is this normal?

dickroach

seen in the past week and a half:
Mother
Wind River
Rebel in the Rye
Good Time

going to see in the next week:
Dunkirk
Ingrid Goes West
Battle of the Sexes

i love this fucking thing
also, don't see Rebel in the Rye
Got my card! Tried to activate it, but when I type my last 4 digits, nothing appears on the screen, it's just blank but the cursor moves. Is this normal?

yeah I remember when I was activating it nothing showed up on the screen when I was typing in numbers, but just hit Submit or whatever

Sitting down for my 3rd movie since getting the card 4 days ago. I don’t have high hopes for this service lasting long at this price point, but I’m going to run it into the ground while it does.

This was my first time using it at an AMC theater. They’re new around here. No kiosk in the location closest to me, but the person at the box office absolutely could not have given less of a shit.

Sitting down for my 3rd movie since getting the card 4 days ago. I don’t have high hopes for this service lasting long at this price point, but I’m going to run it into the ground while it does.

This was my first time using it at an AMC theater. They’re new around here. No kiosk in the location closest to me, but the person at the box office absolutely could not have given less of a shit.

I finally got my card and used it yesterday, it was awesome. Then, just as I reclined back in my chair, with my feet up, I thought to myself, there's no way this is going to survive very long. I hope I'm wrong.

kubev

No kiosk in the location closest to me, but the person at the box office absolutely could not have given less of a shit.

I used mine for the second time on Friday, and the guy who gave me my ticket asked how I liked my MoviePass. I just found it interesting that he'd know that I was using a MoviePass, as I didn't show him the card at all. I wonder if they all start with a specific series of numbers or something. In either case, I mentioned to him that I thought I really liked it so far, but I mentioned that it took me quite a while to receive mine after initially requesting it.

My wife and I used ours for the second time today. The theater owner expressed doubt that the cards would work, he said they'd been having trouble with them, but they ran through without issue. I guess maybe there's some new card holders that don't really understand how to use them yet.

But yeah, I'll enjoy this while it lasts. We usually go at least once a week, so this is just all saved money for us.

meow

I finally got my card on Friday, after signing up on the 15th. Checked out a movie tonight and it worked seamlessly. However...when we got to the theater to buy our tickets (we didn't go ahead of time, just went right before the show time), almost all of the seats were filled/tickets were sold. Only 2 left in the front row, some handicap seats, and 3 seats in the last row, all separated. We were resigned to the fact we might be sitting separately (since gaf has taught me some people get super testy when asked to move a seat down with reserved seating).

Then when we got to the screen, the place was nowhere near that full...there were at least 8 seats free, all next to each other, in the back row on one side of the theatre. The lower rows were sparser also. I don't know why it would be like that. The cynic in me thinks it was all moviepass people, just buying tickets and not going.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I was pleasantly surprised that tonight I went to a movie, realized I had hit my data limit, hopped on mall wifi, and the location was accurate enough to allow the checkin to get the ticket through moviepass.

Now on the app it says "card processing." What does that mean? I ordered on the 16th. After maybe 2 weeks it said "card shipped," and now it says this...

SURGEdude

Ordered on the 21st of last month, still waiting. Card went from shipped to processing about a week ago. Other than that haven't hear a peep since their "we fucked up" email on the 13th. Really annoying.

Top Bottom