• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you disheartened by modern anime? Why havent you watched Ping Pong the Animation?

I am not interested in a Ping Pong anime the same reason I didn't enjoy basketball anime: it's pretty anti climate to watch sport anime that the Japanese suck at.

OTOH, I have read a few high school baseball manga and I enjoyed most of them.

Maybe I just want realistic sport anime/manga? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jarate

Banned
I am not interested in a Ping Pong anime the same reason I didn't enjoy basketball anime: it's pretty anti climate to watch sport anime that the Japanese suck at.

https://www.ittf.com/rankings/

Japan is the 4th best table tennis country in the world. they have 2 men in men top tne and 3 women in womens top ten.

KillLaCam

Banned
Whenever you see anime hate threads on GAF, they are almost always full of people complaining about the lack of classic Toonami-style dark action shows. I don't think it's about the quality as much as it is the specific type of show they want. Like, I'm sure the vast majority of complainers wouldn't be willing to give Made In Abyss a chance purely because of the character designs.
Oh yeah you're right. I don't even care that much about those classic toonami-like shows. But My friend had to force me to start watching Made in abyss with her because I wouldn't start it on my own. The only reason I didn't want to start it was the art style. Because everything else sounded interesting to me.

But it's a pretty good show.

I don't think everything has to look dark and serious but I wish things like that weren't so rare these days.

shaowebb

I thought we were talking bout Ping Pong Club and not this show..

XvO1ils.gif

Literally the tamest thing I could find of Ping Pong Club. That anime was fucked up.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Oh shit, if this much of GAF dislikes the art of Ping Pong, maybe I should hold off on my Initial D recommendation thread.

KazenY2J

To be honest, there's also people bored by all the mediocre-to-bad moeblob/harem/fujobait stuff coming out in droves every season.

I'm not saying that there isn't still good stuff from time to time, though.
And I get that, but some people wouldn't be willing to watch something like Madoka Magica or Made In Abyss cause of the "moe" art styles.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
And I get that, but some people wouldn't be willing to watch something like Madoka Magica or Made In Abyss cause of the "moe" art styles.

That's how my brother is. He's interested in watching Madoka, but he believes that he would feel like a creep if he did simply because of the young girls in tandem with the moe artstyle.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

lmfao

JAPAN SUCKS AT PING PONG YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST

I can not with good conscious support the OP with suggesting someone watch this badly written anime. There are many literary mistakes with Ping Pong anime that make many other offerings in the modern sports anime genre shine (Ginga E Kickoff!!, Haikyuu!!, Free!, Dive!!) Ping Pong doesnt even have an exclamation mark in the name so you know it has writing mistakes at the core.

Ping pong is so infuriating with how the writer has handled key cast members. Ill never forget it.

DTL never disappoints.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

This is the dumbest post I've seen on here in a long time and I've already been beaten several times over as to why this is inaccurate on several accounts.

Izayoi

Banned
Funny timing, I started watching this earlier in the week and I adore it. Kinda shocked people think it looks ugly, it's such a cool looking show and it's bursting with passion.
The people who think this looks ugly are probably the same people who won't watch Mob Psycho 100 because of the art.

In other words, they are demonstrably bad human beings.

Be ashamed of yourselves.

LotusHD

Banned

What the fuck, what type of reasoning is this

People mentioning "animation style" is the red flag that they have no idea what they are talking about. When their idea of good looking anime are ufotable or the bland looking, poorly lighted/shaded modern madhouse shows... lol

That will forever be a black mark against AnimeGAF.

Woah this show is great, top 10 of the decade free

I know Katanagatari and Tatami Galaxy came out the same year but PSG is no slouch either. Better choice than 90% of GAF awards tbh

petran79

Banned
That's how my brother is. He's interested in watching Madoka, but he believes that he would feel like a creep if he did simply because of the young girls in tandem with the moe artstyle.

If I had the guts to watch more traumatising series like Candy Candy, Lady Georgie, Oniisama, I can stomach Madoka.

Maybe I just want realistic sport anime/manga? ¯_(ツ)_/¯

When I read Slam Dunk manga in the final match, author had no clue about basketball strategies. Kinda ruined realism,but it was a fun read.

Attack no 1 (Girls volleyball) wasnt realistic either compared to Attacker You!,Haikyu, but it is probably the most epic sports series ever.

Same reason I like Ashita no Joe over Hajime no Ippo.

Whenever you see anime hate threads on GAF, they are almost always full of people complaining about the lack of classic Toonami-style dark action shows. I don't think it's about the quality as much as it is the specific type of show they want. Like, I'm sure the vast majority of complainers wouldn't be willing to give Made In Abyss a chance purely because of the character designs.

They also only see the shittiest of shows because they're the most popular at the moment instead of actually digging deep. But it's really weird, because one of my favorite modern anime show is Nichijou. Don't judge a book by its cover.

So silly. Just tell him to watch the show! (its good too!)

People mentioning "animation style" is the red flag that they have no idea what they are talking about. When their idea of good looking anime are ufotable or the bland looking, poorly lighted/shaded modern madhouse shows... lol

I like your taste.

Woah this show is great, top 10 of the decade free

I know Katanagatari and Tatami Galaxy came out the same year but PSG is no slouch either. Better choice than 90% of GAF awards tbh

Well, not this. But nobody's perfect.

petran79

Banned
They also only see the shittiest of shows because they're the most popular at the moment instead of actually digging deep. But it's really weird, because one of my favorite modern anime show is Nichijou. Don't judge a book by its cover.

Nowadays I prefer original TV productions, making modern anime choices even tighter

I thought we were talking bout Ping Pong Club and not this show..

XvO1ils.gif

Literally the tamest thing I could find of Ping Pong Club. That anime was fucked up.
Same. However, I've never seen that show, but I remember seeing one of the dvds at FYE back in the day. This cover and title always unsettled me:
img_00077xssc.jpg

Aiustis

Ooh I like that art style. I am one of those people that rarely watches modern anime. I don't like the weird hair colors everywhere, the extra big eyes etc.

Thud

Ping pong and Mob Pyscho 100 use really distinct (modern) artstyles that suit animation well.

There's too much of the same generic character design that look like they came from a factory line, wether it's from the old or new era. So yeah I'm quite pleased when there's something different.

One of the things I've realized is that a huge chunk of anime watchers have no clue about animation or art. They'll dismiss anything that doesn't look like "normal" anime

Check out the recommendations thread and how many people dismiss Kaiba, Tatami Galaxy or Kaiji, because they look "ugly".
Its sad to see that...

The strange thing is, often they might love the Monogatari shows.

While I don't agree with you in that 99% of anime is shit OP (more like 85% for me), I do agree that Pingpong is a phenomenal show.

A unique and trippy art/animation style with a great story, characters with depth and fantastic pacing. While there's still alot of new shows I really like each season, I still wish to see something that can take risks in the medium like Pingpong did.

petran79

Banned
I finally made the decision and watched the series. Did not regret it. Very good adaptation that does not try to follow the manga panel to panel like it happens with most adaptations.
A unique series that takes a vastly different approach in everything. Only this director can make such series

But LWA was a trainwreck...

Not the first OVA and the movie

I can not with good conscious support the OP with suggesting someone watch this badly written anime. There are many literary mistakes with Ping Pong anime that make many other offerings in the modern sports anime genre shine (Ginga E Kickoff!!, Haikyuu!!, Free!, Dive!!) Ping Pong doesnt even have an exclamation mark in the name so you know it has writing mistakes at the core.

Ping pong is so infuriating with how the writer has handled key cast members. Ill never forget it.
I'm all for opinions on animation but you cannot be serious about calling this anime badly written....what in the hell?

Top Bottom