• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Pre-order Thread - iPhone 8, 8+, Watch Series 3, AppleTV 4K

Makai

I picked up a watch as a toy gadget to try. Seems absolutely horrible. Apps take FOREVER to load. Twitter crashes on startup. The dock is barely navigable - certainly way faster to just use my phone for any task besides checking the time. Returning this unless someone can help me figure out how this is useful at all. I like my kaleidoscope face.

WoolyNinja

I picked up a watch as a toy gadget to try. Seems absolutely horrible. Apps take FOREVER to load. Twitter crashes on startup. The dock is barely navigable - certainly way faster to just use my phone for any task besides checking the time. Returning this unless someone can help me figure out how this is useful at all. I like my kaleidoscope face.

Hmmm - you got a series 3 watch? Mines super fast with pretty much everything. I click the Workout app and it opens instantly. It tells time, and shows my notifications so I don't have to pull my phone out of my pocket all the damn time. I also found that its awesome for skipping to songs in Spotify playing on my phone while I'm driving. A lot safer and easier than picking up my phone and skipping songs. On top of that it has fantastic workout tracking.

Not exactly sure what you expected from a watch but I've been pleasantly surprised so far.

EDIT: Also just tried the photo app and that too opened quite quickly?

Hattori

Banned
don’t expect the watch to replace your phone, it’s first and foremost a companion device. It’s useful for notifications and bite sized info dumps like messages/mail/tweet notifications. In addition, it’s a great health/workout tool.

Charcoal

I have never heard an Apple Watch be referred to as a toy gadget. Nonetheless, my experience is the complete opposite of yours.

Makai

Hmmm - you got a series 3 watch? Mines super fast with pretty much everything. I click the Workout app and it opens instantly. It tells time, and shows my notifications so I don't have to pull my phone out of my pocket all the damn time. I also found that its awesome for skipping to songs in Spotify playing on my phone while I'm driving. A lot safer and easier than picking up my phone and skipping songs. On top of that it has fantastic workout tracking.

Not exactly sure what you expected from a watch but I've been pleasantly surprised so far.

EDIT: Also just tried the photo app and that too opened quite quickly?
Yeah, with LTE even. I have a trigger on my steering wheel for skipping songs. I tried Siri to search for a song, but no luck.

TwIsTeD

I was worried about how small of a physical appearance upgrade this was at first coming from my 7 Plus but now I’m all in - 8 Plus is Silky Smooth both Physically and OS lol and the hype is real with TrueTone

Two Words

seeing four dots on the explorer watch face is surprisingly satisfying

maxresdefault.jpg

Loving my black 8+ so far!

The “hold next to an iOS11 device” activation was super nifty, I just had to put it next to my iPad, select the most recent backup of my phone and off it went!
That process was so satisfying. I felt like it was Ghost in the Shell-like and a ghost was being transferred from one shell into the next shell.

The 8 Plus is great so far. Everything runs so smoothly as expected, even upgrading from a 6S Plus. The entire thing being enclosed in glass feels so much better than the 6S Plus as well.

Quick

Banned
Y'all Space Grey 8 Plus users get a case on the phone by chance?

I picked up the leather case in black and I'm having second thoughts on the colour.

DOWN

Banned
Y'all Space Grey 8 Plus users get a case on the phone by chance?

I picked up the leather case in black and I'm having second thoughts on the colour.
I have the black leather case and the saddle brown leather for 7 Plus. I got tired of the black and still love the saddle brown.

RC

Banned
Had no issue getting my space grey 8 plus at about one hour to close.

Big step up from the 6. And it’s great to have a working GPS again.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Had no issue getting my space grey 8 plus at about one hour to close.

Big step up from the 6. And it’s great to have a working GPS again.

Dying to replace my 6 after months of it giving me issues. Not impressed by either new offering, but I may just jump on the 8 for now and give it another couple years for the X successor to impress me. Glad to at least see some positive thoughts on the upgrade.

holygeesus

Banned

My watch is primarily to tell me the time - shocker! Closely followed by using it as a device to determine if it is worth digging my phone out of my pocket. When it pings with a notification, a quick raise determines this for me, and I can choose whether it is worth stopping my day and responding. If your phone is constantly out, I can't really see the point of the Apple Watch, but for people like me, who are constantly on the go during the working day, it has pretty much become essential - couldn't do without mine.

Nephtis

I bought a 8 Plus today - there was a line at the store that took about 5 minutes to clear. And they absolutely had a ton of phones available. So far I almost feel like the display is better on my 6s? Not terribly impressed having the 8 be the exact same screen size. Playing games felt exactly the same on both phones. I haven't tried AR yet. I may return the phone and sign up for the upgrade program.

The camera is neat. Thankfully I have 14 days to think on this purchase.

Ryhian

To be clear, it doesn’t support the new Qi 3.0 (though it may be smart to get a charger that does so you can hang onto it next year), but it is faster than the original Qi 5W. Currently iPhone 8 & X ship at the 5W old speed that IKEA pads use for example, but they are getting an update to enable them to do 7.5W (faster than the standard charger Apple includes). http://bgr.com/2017/09/19/iphone-8-vs-iphone-x-fast-wireless-charging/

Perfect! Thanks so much for that. I hadn’t seen the article.

dock

Got my watch yesterday. Opted for the 38mm aluminium version, with a few third party straps. It’s pretty nice, but it’ll take some getting used to.

Using faces with the Now Playing complication makes a big difference. Just a shame that music apps aren’t available on the watch. Even the official Music app can’t control the music stored on my phone. I’m grateful for the Overcast podcast app, at least, but it’s a shame that Spotify and Amazon won’t support it. Same with Apple TV I guess.

Kinda wanna upgrade to the 8 Plus but I also kinda wanna get the X. I can upgrade to the 8+ painlessly with Verizon but I dont know how early they'll let me swap that in for the X.

holygeesus

Banned
You can skip and pause any iPhone music source, including Spotify, with Now Playing. You can't choose what to listen to, however.

Ah gotcha. I'm pretty sure I read you can access your library though from your watch.

Edit - is this not what you mean?

hvIjiCZ.png

It looks like the 8 I got my wife has managed to brick itself on the iCloud restore. It’s been stuck on the last pixel for 12 hours, and none of the home/power button combinations are doing anything. Fun.

I think how Apple started to advertised the Apple Watch when it first came out is still causing some confusion out there. Honestly, the original Apple Watch was not really able to handle those apps back then. They were more akin to bite sized versions of their iPhone counterparts and were really only meant to be used to check something quickly and moving on with your life. Of course getting your iPhone out is going to be a far better experience.

To me, the Apple Watch is a companion device that lets me handle notifications differently and take care of my health. Honestly, now it’s a lot more of a fitness device than it was before.

So, whenever someone asked me if the Apple Watch was worth getting, I’ve always told them that it’s definitely worth your money if you’re into fitness or would like to handle your notifications a bit better. Beyond that’s, its really hard to recommend when people think it’s yet another way to browse their favorite apps.

A good example would be the Amazon app. I think originally you could buy stuff from it. Why? I’m not sure, it makes no sense to browse the amazon shop on your wrist, the screen is too tiny. Makes much more sense to use your iPhone instead. I think now it’s gone, but it would’ve make more sense for the Watch app to be used to check in the status of your orders real quick, or say reordering an item, like the dash buttons.

Like someone else mentioned, it’s fantastic for notifications. I mean, I think it’s nice to see a notification and decide if it needs my attention immediately or not. If it does, and as long as the app is supported, it can handle it right from my watch. Otherwise it can wait and I can see it on my watch later and take care of it then.

For Fitness, I gotta say that it has improved my health dramatically. To the point that it’s addicting trying to close those damn rings. I mean, the watch really does a wonderful job trying to get you to be a bit more active than usual. I usually sit at my desk for 9 hours a day, so it’s nice to get a reminder when I’m busy, lost track of time, to stand up and try to get a bit of activity before the hour expires. The watch doesn’t demand much either, just go walk down the hall for a bit and you’re closer to your goal for the day. That’s it, it’s so simple yet so effective. You can even adjust your active calorie goal to your liking.

So, to me, the watch was a valuable investment that I continue to use every day for the past year and a half.

I can’t. It doesn’t really have anything to do with protection, though. I just love the feel of silicone or a grippy case. Feels too slick otherwise.
I can see that on the old ones but the glass back is pretty grippy. I stopped using cases due to the bulk and the idea that if you want a specific color then it defeats the purpose by having to put a case on it.

Oxn

It looks like the 8 I got my wife has managed to brick itself on the iCloud restore. It’s been stuck on the last pixel for 12 hours, and none of the home/power button combinations are doing anything. Fun.

Same thing happened to me. You need to force restart it, but everything has already loaded.

Press the up volume, then the down volume, then hold the power button.

Do it all normal speed.

So click, click, hold

Oxn

Always use a case for the first few months while you're still in that "new phone" mode. Once the novelty wears off, unsheath it and begin to enjoy it's naked glory.

That way you can avoid getting annoyed over initial scratches right when you get it.

This is what i do

kaskade

Consensus on the Apple TV 4k for those of you who got one? I'm bummed it's delayed a week online since it seems available in most stores. If the closest Apple Store wasn't an hour away I would've just picked one up in store.

ZOONAMI

With T-Mobile jump on demand I always go without insurance and the store reps always look at me like I’m crazy. It’s like ive been doing this for years y’all, I take care of my phones.

From a user on reddit, but this speed difference looks significant

AppleWatch Series 2 vs 3 speed compared

https://www.reddit.com/r/AppleWatch/comments/71otc2/applewatch_series_2_vs_3_speed_compared/

https://youtu.be/wC80Lem__II

I ended up getting a Series 2. This video does not represent my experience at all. It's showing loading times of 3-4 seconds for the most basic apps. For me, they load up instantly. I kinda have a hard time believing that's actually a Series 2 in this video.

holygeesus

Banned
I notice that Amazon have slashed the price of their 4K titles on Prime now, obviously to compete with iTunes. Good times for the consumer. Passengers is like half the price now, and I always find Amazon the best PQ of the 3 main hitters.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Y'all going caseless are crazy, especially with back glass replacements costing $100 — with AppleCare. Much more without it.

https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/service/pricing

Any drop tests yet? I only occasionally drop my phone and usually only a couple of feet from table to floor - short pile carpet in the office, or wood at home.

Picked up a series 3 Watch, upgrading internally but downgrading externally from my series 0 SS.

Any drop tests yet? I only occasionally drop my phone and usually only a couple of feet from table to floor - short pile carpet in the office, or wood at home.

On some of the more repeated brutal drop tests some of the shattered back glass started to fly off. We're talking a dozen drops from six feet onto concrete but it's still kind of worrying if you're a butterfingers.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
On some of the more repeated brutal drop tests some of the shattered back glass started to fly off. We're talking a dozen drops from six feet onto concrete but it's still kind of worrying if you're a butterfingers.

I find the usual thin, clear cases to be not nice to hold - eg TPU. Tempered glass front and rear to protect from scratches, and a thin bumper around the edge would be a good option. The K11 seems popular but looks bulky

Same thing happened to me. You need to force restart it, but everything has already loaded.

Press the up volume, then the down volume, then hold the power button.

Do it all normal speed.

So click, click, hold

Wow, thanks. I checked last night and could t find any articles mentioning that the button inputs had changed, but it looks like there are a few up now.

Top Bottom