• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Vaporwave Thread of WTF is Vaporwave

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBboy20

I like discovered the genre last month. I never searched a genre before until now. Maybe this is the music I never thought I needed...

Cream

Banned
Years ago, I would sometime have to visit my annoying cousins who lived in a really crappy part of Laurel.

Near their house, there was this mall, that was almost completely abandoned. Like, literally, it was open, but totally empty, stores open and everything. I remember it had this weird 80s vibe and everything was neon.

On the top floor of the mall, there was a very large circular food court. The only open restaurant was a Taco Bell. The neon Taco Bell sign was blinding.

In the very middle of this HUGE food court space was a few arcade machines. Not games, but like Chuck E Cheese type stuff. So characters you could ride, crane games, that kind of thing. And when I say huge, I mean gigantic. So imagine a really big imposing open space, with just a couple of arcade games in the very middle.

I was so terrified of that place. It was so eery and depressing and horrible. Like I was in a graveyard.

Every single vaporwave song reminds me of that terrible place.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

They found each other again, through the cracks of the towers, under the violet haze of Citadel 2814. The ancient love rushed through the wires as it once had through the veins. And from another first embrace, the cycle continued, eternal.

BBboy20

Years ago, I would sometime have to visit my annoying cousins who lived in a really crappy part of Laurel.

Near their house, there was this mall, that was almost completely abandoned. Like, literally, it was open, but totally empty, stores open and everything. I remember it had this weird 80s vibe and everything was neon.

On the top floor of the mall, there was a very large circular food court. The only open restaurant was a Taco Bell. The neon Taco Bell sign was blinding.

In the very middle of this HUGE food court space was a few arcade machines. Not games, but like Chuck E Cheese type stuff. So characters you could ride, crane games, that kind of thing. And when I say huge, I mean gigantic. So imagine a really big imposing open space, with just a couple of arcade games in the very middle.

I was so terrified of that place. It was so eery and depressing and horrible. Like I was in a graveyard.

This genre really was on to something then.

Komo

Banned

Beautiful.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

The sea of neon rippling waves under a heavy rain that batters the window of the dark hotel room in the middle of the city. There is no point to any of this except beauty. A return of dreams, Hong Kong.

HiResDes

Yes!can't wait to check it out, his last shit was epic. Digitalisea also grew on me tremendously and I would now consider it in my top fifty of 2014

BOOGIE AT THE HYPERMALL 20XX KICKSTARTER

5mEVlZe.jpg

from the kickstarter page:
“Boogie at the Hypermall 20XX" is everything you’ve dreamed of in terms of musical experiences, bringing to life the best of vaporwave, the number 1 genre of the World Wide Web.

ConsumerCo(tm), creators of BatH20XX, has studied and analyzed every single album on the internet to create the ideal music festival, with artists like SAINT PEPSI (Skylar Spence), Vektroid / MACINTOSH PLUS / 情報デスクVIRTUAL / PrismCorp Virtual Enterprises, Blank Banshee, マクロスm a c r o s s 82-99, Lamitina , 식료품groceries , Donovan Hikaru , General Translator , Darksleep , Phoenix #2772 , death's dynamic shroud.wmv & CVLTVRΣ / and other artists like SYLLABUS , 猫 シ Corp , architecture in tokyo , YUNG BAE , ESPRIT 空想 , Eyeliner , Pyravid , NMΞSH , vincent覚えている , Combo Reseller , VHS Dreams, §E▲ ▓F D▓G§ , GIANT CLAW , Hong Kong Express , ClearVisionDream Productions and Infinity Frequencies! - the MALL AT STEAMTOWN in Scranton, PA - August 1st and 2nd, 2015!

really hope this gets funded. that lineup! potential GAF meet-up?

h#shdem0n

Anyone been bumping Death's Dynamic Shroud.wmv or Shima33? Some of my favorite new blood in Vaporwave.

Also, You Can Make Me by Hellcom is a fucking brilliant song by a very up and coming producer.

Two observations:
1)I think it's funny that the OP from 2013 is already questioning whether Vaporwave "still exists."
2) No mention of Chuck Person's Ecco Jams in OP. smdh

So, set me straight here, because I really don't understand:

Why would you listen to this stuff, when you can listen to the original music so much of it samples or rips off? I mean, most vaporwave I've heard blatantly steals from 80s J-pop or fusion, or from video game soundtracks. Why not get the actual (or imagined) nostalgia hit from music that's actually from another time and place? Why does it need to be reinterpreted? The fact that so much vaporwave sounds so good just shows how good the original material was, and how much it still stands on its own. Listen to some Toshiki Kadomatsu, or some T-Square, or Casiopeia, or Ryuichi Sakamoto, or YMO.

This is all so weird. It's like a Wings of Honneamise soundtrack cut-up party.

Why would you listen to this stuff, when you can listen to the original music so much of it samples or rips off? I mean, most vaporwave I've heard blatantly steals from 80s J-pop or fusion, or from video game soundtracks. Why not get the actual (or imagined) nostalgia hit from music that's actually from another time and place? Why does it need to be reinterpreted? The fact that so much vaporwave sounds so good just shows how good the original material was, and how much it still stands on its own. Listen to some Toshiki Kadomatsu, or some T-Square, or Casiopeia, or Ryuichi Sakamoto, or YMO.

I feel like the appeal of lots of genres and subgenres right now relies on, for lack of a better word, an "intellectualized" deconstruction and reinvention of the themes and tropes of outdated musical styles. It doesn't seem to be so much about breaking new ground as it does building upon established ideas.

And personally, while something like vaporwave borrows heavily from its source inspiration, there's clearly a different attitude and character to the music. It's more cynical and absurdist than it is earnest and straightforward.

Komo

Banned

The Vaporwave tracks tend to create an entirely different atmosphere, vibe and tempo than the original tracks did, which makes it suitable for different moods and experiences

With that said, I absolutely love T-Square and Casiopeia, and when they're sampled in Vaporwave, that's just a bonus for me

I guess I don't really like hearing a detached, ironic take on music that is so powerful for its inherent optimism and hope. The economic era it's from might be in the past, but the music still works.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Vaporware is awesome. I would say I'm surprised to see this genre on GAF but to be honest, people on this forum have pretty good taste in music.

Komo

Banned
I'm looking for some more slow-ish, jazz-like Vaporwave similar to bl00dwave's ULTRADREAM album, and Disconscious's Hologram Plaza. Anyone got any recommendations?

abunai

I'm looking for some more slow-ish, jazz-like Vaporwave similar to bl00dwave's ULTRADREAM album, and Disconscious's Hologram Plaza. Anyone got any recommendations?

maybe this would be up your street? i've been listening to a bunch of albums from the label and they're all pretty good

https://dmttapes.bandcamp.com/track/make-me-love-you

AMDISCS is another label worth checking out

aestheticboys

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I really like the Saint Pepsi sound. I gave Blank Banshee a listen and it's not quite as my style. Do you guys have recommendations closer to Pepsi? I'll keep exploring on my own, too. Thanks.

mooooose

ay dudes for anyone into saint pepsi, he had to change his name to skylar spence a few months ago for legal bs

https://soundcloud.com/skylarspence

he has a new album coming out on september 18th and it's really great. it's a dance pop album, half the songs have vocals and the other half are instrumentals more akin to hit vibes and/or gin city

Komo

Banned
maybe this would be up your street? i've been listening to a bunch of albums from the label and they're all pretty good

https://dmttapes.bandcamp.com/track/make-me-love-you

AMDISCS is another label worth checking out

aestheticboys

Yes, this kind of stuff is great! Thank you

Also, gave Analog Dementia's new album, Columbine Nightmares a listen today. As someone who's relatively 'obsessed' with the Columbine Massacre, I found this to be quite chilling.

Not the most audibly pleasant Vaporwave, but the entire thing wraps up into an interesting and oddly memorable experience.

pronk420

Lots of vapourware labels are doing buy the whole catalog for like $1 at the moment. business casual, neko corp, and now DMT tapes.

I know you can get most of them free but its pretty fetch to have them all in your band camp account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom