• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rain World |OT| Concrete Jungle

asker

One day left. I'm counting the hours now!

Anyone else have a hard time expressing to friends why this isn't just another 2D indie game and why they should be excited. When asked about what you do in the game, nothing I say makes it sound sexy. "You are a slugcat and you must hunt for food in a grim world". I guess you have to have followed the development blog to truly appreciate how big of a step this game is in many areas.

Hollow Knight -> Horizon -> DS3 Ringed City -> Rain World.

If this game turns out as good as I hope it is, it'll have been pretty much back to back greatness for me these past two months.

Can't wait to dig into this after DS3!

Mandelbo

I'm very pleased with the thread subtitle, definitely made the right choice there! My copy's downloaded to my PS4, so all there is to do now is wait...

Granjinha

The way he talks about observing and overcoming obstacles using nothing more than your growing base knowledge, reminds me of Spelunky.

yeah, it's really like that. There are no "upgrades" in the game, so every new stuff you use you learn by observing and experimenting. I loved that about the game.

hey more_badass, do you have those cool gifs showing how the animation on the slugcat works?
Here's an early BTS one from the Kickstarter
l6GdgNn.gif

And a look at the lizards taking shape

Crub

the playtime of others is clocking around 30-40 hours so don't take that as the actual time it takes to finish the game :p

30 hours? Aw. Was hoping for something far shorter. So many games coming out currently and I just don't have time to put that many hours into this game currently.

Think I might ask for a refund and buy it again later.

18-Volt

Any news on the Vita version?

Where is the Vita version?

They haven't given any update since announcing it for Vita. And it's being published by Adult Swim games, who strangely have never published Vita ports. I think Vita version of Rain World is canned.

Too bad, I was looking to play this on Vita, PS4 doesn't feel like the right platform for this. Maybe they might port Rain World to iOS in the future?

Crispy75

There's a lot of heavy lifting going on behind the scenes, so I don't know if any handheld has the chops, except Switch maybe?

Dantero

30 hours? Aw. Was hoping for something far shorter. So many games coming out currently and I just don't have time to put that many hours into this game currently.

Think I might ask for a refund and buy it again later.

Do you really go for quantity of games played and not your enjoyment of them? I'm imagining you playing a game for 30 hours, greatly enjoying it, then looking at your playtime and going "30 hours played? Better stop and play something else that I may or may not enjoy".
I've seen other people say something like you just did and it baffles me every time.

They haven't given any update since announcing it for Vita. And it's being published by Adult Swim games, who strangely have never published Vita ports. I think Vita version of Rain World is canned.

Too bad, I was looking to play this on Vita, PS4 doesn't feel like the right platform for this. Maybe they might port Rain World to iOS in the future?
This game isnt going to work on iOS. There's a ton of stuff going on behind the scenes: animations, AI, the persistent world happening off-screen, etc. I'm all for iOS ports, but this is the last kind of game you want to play on touch.

But honestly I wouldn't be surprised if this comes to Vita. In an interview, the devs said this is going to be the first Adult Swim game to be released in Japan, so Adult Swim is pushing this game pretty hard. Plus they specifically expanded the game to support 16:9 widescreen, with Vita in mind

18-Volt

But honestly I wouldn't be surprised if this comes to Vita. In an interview, the devs said this is going to be the first Adult Swim game to be released in Japan, so Adult Swim is pushing this game pretty hard. Plus they specifically expanded the game to support 16:9 widescreen, with Vita in mind

Interesting. But still, no specific Vita updates is a little worrying. Other indie developers who also have a Vita port in development at least say something about it, if it's happening or not.

Interesting. But still, no specific Vita updates is a little worrying. Other indie developers who also have a Vita port in development at least say something about it, if it's happening or not.
The latest Kickstarter update specifically mentions "additional platforms and systems".
The journey continues, of course! We have content updates already in the works, including multiplayer, as well as additional narrative arcs and game modes which will we detail as soon as the initial release madness subsides. Since it isn't being included in the initial release we've had to keep all of this stuff top secret for the past months, so we seriously cannot wait to show you.

Also up next we will be detailing our progress in bringing Rain World to additional platforms and systems. Please pardon us being tight-lipped about the specifics of this for now, as we have quite a lot of compatibility testing and fussing about with code before we will be comfortable making any official announcements or timelines. Our tiny team can only handle so many platforms at once!

===

Push Square broke embargo too
6/10
http://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps4/rain_world
Rain World has massive world that can be pretty easy to get lost in and enables some real survival adrenaline rushes. Unfortunately, these positive aspects – alongside its exquisite art direction – are at odds with some of the less satisfying aspects: the slightly awkward controls, the overwhelming feeling of almost too much freedom, and the fairly constant threat of losing large chunks of progress take away from the experience.

The end result is complicated: it's a game we bounced off quite a lot but one we still greatly appreciate. The game does something new with the genre and it does it well for the most part, making the game worth at the very least giving a look.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
From the other thread:
Animations are procedurally generated and scale up to your frame rate. AI and physics are 40 fps.

Looking forward to some crazy slow motion GIFs!

MUnited83

For you.
I didnt quite understand the hibernation mechanic that the reviewer seems to hate a lot in that video. Any detailed explanation regarding it? I would hate to go through the same area hundreds of times.
There is a rank system. When you successfully get enough food and find a place to hibernate, you rank up. With higher ranks you can access more places. When you die you lose a rank. It's not much of an issue when you start understanding how it works. As you start knowing the map, you can opt to play it safe and spend a bit of time in the same area to get food and hibernate a few times.

I think that PushSquare conclusion is going to be a common one, with the choice of score seeming almost arbitrary.

Well, every score is almost arbitrary.

And yeah, I love how the game looks and the idea of how it plays, but I worry it's going to be too hard for me. From what I know after watching some streams:

-No guidance of where you have to go.
-Obscure mechanics and systems, you have to learn by yourself.
-Huge, labyrinthine map to lost yourself.
-One hit deaths by almost anything.
-Stealth enemies (with again, one hit kills)
-Fairly long stretches of game between checkpoints
-Insta death every 20 minutes by rain, you have to find a checkpoint before.
-Food needed to use checkpoints.
-Lost of rank with every death.
-As it's a platform metroidvania game, a failed jump to cross a chasm may mean a huge detour in your path to come back to that area, which in the end means your death because *rain*.

Now, one or two of these 'features' wouldn't make that hard, but all together and combined is going to give a tough experience.

FelipeMGM

well, I did say on that other thread that the ranking system would make a lot of people mad and have the feeling of abandoning the game...

It can be really annoying and it could be more well balanced and a bit more forgiving,

In the end to get the merits of the game you dont even have to finish it or anything, much of the pleasure comes from understanding the rules and applying them to your benefit. The progression is a mix of feeling great about yourself because you figured out how to conquer some area of the world followed by the tension and the excitment of the unknown that comes ahead.

There is a rank system. When you successfully get enough food and find a place to hibernate, you rank up. With higher ranks you can access more places. When you die you lose a rank. It's not much of an issue when you start understanding how it works. As you start knowing the map, you can opt to play it safe and spend a bit of time in the same area to get food and hibernate a few times.

So essentially a mistake can cost you a lot of progress that you will not recover kinda like how when you die in Dark Souls and you lose your souls but instead of being able to get them back, in Rain World you wont be getting back your rank unless you grind again which also means that if you keep on dying you might as well end up back to 0 with no way of securing your rank?

So essentially a mistake can cost you a lot of progress that you will not recover kinda like how when you die in Dark Souls and you lose your souls but instead of being able to get them back, in Rain World you wont be getting back your rank unless you grind again which also means that if you keep on dying you might as well end up back to 0 with no way of securing your rank?
Secret/mechanic:
You can recover something at the place where you died

FelipeMGM

Polygon Review
5/10
http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/27/14951492/rain-world-review-pc-windows-ps4-playstation-4

There’s pleasure to be found in a challenge. There’s pleasure to be found in difficulty, and in failure, and in obscurity too. I just can’t say that I found any of that pleasure in Rain World. I can't fault anyone who does, because there is something to that awkward little slugcat and the grimey, mean world it calls home. But I never felt properly equipped to discover, to improve. With core systems opaque and unnecessarily limited, all I ever felt equipped to do in Rain World was fail.

danowat

Banned
Damn, I was really looking forward to this, love(d) the art style and general thematic look, but the obtuseness and that hibernation mechanic kill any enthusiasm for me.

Sounds like it could have been really special.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Sounds like it might be wise to wait for a few patches that will undoubtedly fix a lot of the unfair difficulty.

Cardon

Just posted my review, and I enjoyed it. Game can be brutal at times, but it's something you just need to stick with if you dig it, explore, play around with the systems, and figure stuff out sans obvious tutorials. So yeah, solid game all around.

For those on the fence about it, if you enjoyed the videos/walkthroughs or the such I would say check it out. I think Rain World is likely going to be a decisive game which isn't for everyone, but if you enjoy brutal Metroidvania type games which are somewhat vague in their design, then go for it.

Spence

Already got the game purchased on steam but some of the reviews are worrying me, I don't mind some difficulty but it seems really punishing?

Cardon

Already got the game purchased on steam but some of the reviews are worrying me, I don't mind some difficulty but it seems really punishing?

It can be punishing in that if a large enemy grabs you, except for the stealth plants, you're pretty much done for. And in most cases, there'll be multiple enemies chasing you if they become aware of your presence or depending on the locale.

But if some evasion is done, or simply good timing, it's possible to avoid getting killed, but at some point, death is definitive in that it's going to happen. Yet when that happens you simply move on and use what you just learned to potentially move on and keep surviving.

Ugh, I expected this game to be at least an 8/10. Hoping for some good reviews to drop... I'll definitely check it out nonetheless.

Crispy75

Feels like being caught in the rain should drop you a rank, but death by any other cause should just send you back to the lair with your rank unharmed.

Top Bottom