• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantom Dust |OT| Out of the ashes, into the Dust

KageMaru

Seeing how it's still not up in the Xbox store, I'm guessing MS no longer updates the store at around 5am EST. =/ Come on Microsoft, flip the switch and give us the game!

Theorry

Seeing how it's still not up in the Xbox store, I'm guessing MS no longer updates the store at around 5am EST. =/ Come on Microsoft, flip the switch and give us the game!

They do. As all those sales go live and new releases. But some they can do manual also. :)

Indelible

I remember this game being just okay on the original Xbox, free is a good decision if they want this to have staying power.

Zedox

I thought that was out of preview, I'm guessing its still just World of Tanks only?

and KI.

Some games aren't released until someone presses a button. In this case it would be Adam Isgreen. He used to press the button for KI as well. It will be out today.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Still not up. REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

I've been waiting forever for this, Microsoft. Give it to me, now! ;___;

Lifeline

Was looking through the Windows Store for this and just remembered I bought Gears 4 on PC too and completely forgot about it. Gonna make this a Xbox weekend and power through both games.

Is this game good for someone who isn't really into RPG type games. But can quite like some action orientated 'numbers games' if they have good mechanics?

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Is this game good for someone who isn't really into RPG type games. But can quite like some action orientated 'numbers games' if they have good mechanics?
There are no stats to level up. It's all about building a balanced deck of skills. The numbers games are in the skills' damage, mana cost, cooldown, number of uses, etc.

Give it a try.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
My only fear is that people get turned off by the slow single player mode. The AI isn't particularly great either. It's less Halo tier campaign and more... Hearthstone innkeeper tier haha.

Absolutely. It's not really an RPG outside of maybe the basic campaign flow (you talk to NPCs and get missions from them). The actual combat is fundamentally action. You're dodging, attacking, and moving around like any normal third-person action game.

YoshiMax

We have seen before how they can make titles become available across world regions at appropriate times (I.e 00:01 release day) which makes these even more annoying. It's 3pm in the U.K. now why do we have to wait? Could've appeared on the store when Major announced it and unlocked appropriately across regions. I get it with BC and we know when (if there's anything) Majors Twitter with announce and they'll become available but these ones are a bit frustrating especially if you have poor download speeds.

Bit of an entitled rant for something that's free but I'd like to see them take it onboard.

Zeta Oni

ANyone have a direct link to the download page? I'm at work and cannot get on my Xbox at the moment, and cannot find the game on xbox.com

Still waiting on that, it's not up on the store yet.

Should be within the hour, hopefully.

One of those rare times I'm actually envious of Xbone / W10 owners. Lucky devils.

Small suggestion for an OP edit, but this video is (albeit older) a much better informational introduction to Phantom Dust than Austin Walker's barebones take on it.

Thanks, I'll add it in.

I'm definitely worried some of those achievements could require entirely restarted story mode runs. That could be incredibly tedious. Phantom Dust is not a game designed for speedruns!

Ishmae1

In this case it would be Adam Isgreen. He used to press the button for KI as well. It will be out today.

I WISH I controlled that button, but sadly, I do not. It's a distributed system that propagates the title across servers all over the world. I have no idea how it works.

Achievements did pop for me this morning around 7AM Pacific, which means it's likely working its way through the system right now.

I'm definitely worried some of those achievements could require entirely restarted story mode runs. That could be incredibly tedious. Phantom Dust is not a game designed for speedruns!

On the no-retry achievements - that just means you can't hit that "retry" button or skip them for the secondary achievement. Exit back to the underground and start the mission again and you can earn the no-retry achievement if you don't die. Honestly, only the final one is the real challenge, which is why it's zero-points (but has a cool concept art award for it!).

Also, if you're new to Phantom Dust, I'd suggest not reading that achievement list - there's some moderate spoilers in there!

On the no-retry achievements - that just means you can't hit that "retry" button or skip them for the secondary achievement. Exit back to the underground and start the mission again and you can earn the no-retry achievement if you don't die. Honestly, only the final one is the real challenge, which is why it's zero-points (but has a cool concept art award for it!).

Also, if you're new to Phantom Dust, I'd suggest not reading that achievement list - there's some moderate spoilers in there!
Oh, excellent. And yeah, I can imagine that last one being rough.

Good advice on not reading the achievements, too.

Top Bottom