• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Izayoi

Banned
Oh you def thought wrong lol

And Mage Knight is the best. We have played close to or over 100 times now with like 95% of the games being basic ass conquest. There are all kinds of game types, coop, teams, base defense etc. it has a kind of perfect storm of randomization that will change up your play style from game to game, even if you have a deck to duplicate your last game you won't be able to play it the same. Even if you use a duplicate board setup you won't be able to play the same. It's the game that keeps on giving.
How many players do you play with typically? Does it get bogged down with 4? What expansions would you recommend?

Mr E.

Ten soloable games in no particular order.

1. Dead men tell no tails.

2. Merchants and Maurauders (fantastic solo variant on BGG) even better if you can get expansion.

3. Thunder bolt Apache leader.

4. At the gates of Loyang, beat your own score type but fantastic solo.

5. Gears of war.

6. Infection humanity's last gasp.

7. The Hunters Germany at war.

8. Days of Ire Budapest.

9. Black Orchestra.

10. Nemos war.

In no particular order but all great games.

@Joelseph great selections too.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
4 players will be a very long game, ESPECIALLY if it is a learning game. I warn you you to not play a 4 player game with all new players. Just...... don't lol. We played most times with 3 and quite a bit with 4, but at a certain point all the players were 100% clear on basically every rule in the game and knew what was possible to face. In that, after many many many plays, we got 4 players games down to like 3-3 1/2 hours. We took to just having a basketball game or a movie on while we were playing because all of the pertinent stuff for you too see outside of your own turn will happen at the very end of another players turn.

It is my favorite game, but it is not without its problems. The main one being downtime. Every turn is a puzzle that you have to figure out, basically. Some times the answer is clear, sometimes it is a little tricky and sometimes you need to spend 10 minutes replaying your turn 20 times to kill that castle in one attack instead of 2.

The 2nd one being the steep learning curve that extends beyond just the rules. It is a game that is both quite deep and quite complex at the same time. The first 2 or 3 times I played the game I thought it was simply ok. It wasn't until I got a better grasp of everything that was and could happen that I came to appreciate it.

The only expansion you need to get is the Lost Legion, all the others are great to pick up later after you want to try new mages.

If anyone has Tabletop Simulator and is up to try it out or learn before they try and teach, I can setup a game no problem.

As much as I love top tens, would you guys mind posting your top ten solo/solitaire games? I'm slowly building up my solo library but want to see if there is anything I've overlooked.

1. Onirim
2. Too Many Bones
3. Deep Space D-6
4. Apex Theropod
5. Star Realms (w/ Gambit expansion)
6. Run, Fight, or Die
7. One Deck Dungeon
8. Nautilion
9. Sagrada
10. The Lost Expedition

EYEL1NER

Pretty bummed. I was really excited for board game night tonight and was ready to take Frag Gold Edition, Formula D, Elder Sign, Endangered Orphans of Condyle Cove, Secret Hitler, and Captain Sonar. Since there has been 6 or more people recently, I grabbed some games that played with higher play counts. I figured Frag would go over really well.
Unfortunately I've been sick for a few days. I slept most of yesterday and just rested on the couch all night with season 4 of Prison Break. I slept all day today too, hoping that is wake up at 5PM and feel up to going. I didn't feel awful but I'm definitely still congested and weak. I was really looking forward to tonight, but no dice.

Izayoi

Banned
great advice
Yowsa! My group is relatively new to board gaming, so I might skip this one for now. Our "heaviest" game so far has been Scythe, which seems to be on the easy side of things for sure.

I feel like I'm ready to take that leap, but I'm not sure everyone else is.

Thank you for your informative post! I really appreciate it - I was about to jump in blind, but I will shelve this one until we are a bit more advanced.

Blizzard

Banned
I don't play a ton of games solo, but Feast for Odin, Scythe, and Robinson Crusoe would be my first choices.

I want to try the Race for the Galaxy solo mode but it looks complex enough that I've never sat down and learned it.

Ten soloable games in no particular order.

1. Dead men tell no tails.

2. Merchants and Maurauders (fantastic solo variant on BGG) even better if you can get expansion.

3. Thunder bolt Apache leader.

4. At the gates of Loyang, beat your own score type but fantastic solo.

5. Gears of war.

6. Infection humanity's last gasp.

7. The Hunters Germany at war.

8. Days of Ire Budapest.

9. Black Orchestra.

10. Nemos war.

In no particular order but all great games.

@Joelseph great selections too.
I am interested in this and some other solo wargames but so many of them have poor graphic design. :|

How many players do you play with typically? Does it get bogged down with 4? What expansions would you recommend?
For me 3 is the most I would go with Mage Knight and only if they know the rules already otherwise it will be a long session. I really enjoy 2 player game of Mage Knight but most of the time I just play it solo.

After looking through every game listed in everyones top 10's, I went ahead and cracked out a bit and ordered 4 games off Cool Stuff (and added about 60 games to my wish list on there). Specifically I ordered Scythe, Hanabi, Not Alone (it was on sale yesterday when I placed the order) and Race for the Galaxy. Figured I'd order a big one that everyone seems to be pretty crazy about (Scythe), Hanabi as a smaller game and Race for the Galaxy since it was on a LOT of lists in some way and Not Alone since it was on sale and seems pretty fun. Also still have an unopened Pandemic Legacy to bring out, and Cthulu Wars. Might have went a bit overboard, but man the bug bit me and I just went for it.

Vyse24

I don't play a ton of games solo, but Feast for Odin, Scythe, and Robinson Crusoe would be my first choices.

I want to try the Race for the Galaxy solo mode but it looks complex enough that I've never sat down and learned it.

I've tried it with the first 2 expansions, and it's simple enough. Never tried it with the 3rd.

EYEL1NER

I am interested in this and some other solo wargames but so many of them have poor graphic design. :|
Some of the DVG games have some bad CGI imagery of soldiers and stuff, but I don't think most of the "Leader" games look all that bad. Phantom Leader and Hornet Leader look great once fully setup.

fenners

From what I understand race for the galaxy has 5000 expansions and 90% of them are garbage

The ones from the first set all add interesting ideas & cards. It's just that Race + Gathering hits that perfect height before tipping over into too many mechanics - the card pool is deep, with tons of different strategies/directions, the mechanics are teachable without there being too many oddness, and there's no direct 'take that' element, giving new players time to grow. The extra currency type, the takeover mechanic are interesting, but totally for fans. I stuck with Race + Gathering for hundreds of games & I'm still not bored.

Some of the DVG games have some bad CGI imagery of soldiers and stuff, but I don't think most of the "Leader" games look all that bad. Phantom Leader and Hornet Leader look great once fully setup.
7NCOtzE.jpg

It's not flat out bad but it just looks amateurish. I have yet to see one with appealing chit design.

7NCOtzE.jpg

It's not flat out bad but it just looks amateurish. I have yet to see one with appealing chit design.

You can get minis to replace chits, thats what some do. But the chits work fine for that type of game, and not much to do with generic military stuff.... stylized artwork would set off its target market

You can get minis to replace chits, thats what some do. But the chits work fine for that type of game, and not much to do with generic military stuff.... stylized artwork would set off its target market
For the chits, its the number soup that is very unappealing to me. Artwork can be utilitarian while still be appealing.

Lyng

As much as I love top tens, would you guys mind posting your top ten solo/solitaire games? I'm slowly building up my solo library but want to see if there is anything I've overlooked.

The only sologame that truly managed to hold my interest is Liberty or Death: The American Insurrection. I love it very much.

Keasar

Doomtown: Reloaded has a Kickstarter for a new expansion and I must admit I am so goddamn tempted to go for that mother lode bundle of everything.

I have only tutorial played the core box with myself but it is such a cool game and concept, it would be a shame to loose the chance to get it all again if the game gets dropped once more as it did when AEG stopped publishing it.

That price though is not easy to swallow.

ParityBit

Doomtown: Reloaded has a Kickstarter for a new expansion and I must admit I am so goddamn tempted to go for that mother lode bundle of everything.

I have only tutorial played the core box with myself but it is such a cool game and concept, it would be a shame to loose the chance to get it all again if the game gets dropped once more as it did when AEG stopped publishing it.

That price though is not easy to swallow.

Oh man .... my friend has this game and I always wanted it. I may have to do the $75.

Has anyone played Vast? More specifically, Vast on solo?

It looks awesome, but I can't justify getting it if it is meh

I picked this up, and am looking forward to playing it, but it's going to take an evening to figure out how the game generally plays. Each character has their own unique gameplay, so it's like learning several games at once. I don't think it's too complicated, but I'd hate to bring this to the table for the first time without a firm grasp on how to play it. My friends are impatient and tend to butcher rules if someone can't explain the rules with confidence.

I don't expect it to be a great solo experience, but again, I haven't played it yet. Seems like something that becomes more interesting the more players you have.

Mr E.

7NCOtzE.jpg

I prefer function over form. Thunderbolt Apache leader has functional chits which are easily read across a table. Most war gamers are concerned with the narrative the numbers generate in there heads.

However for a nice looking solo game try Nemo's war by VPG. The chits used for chits are individually drawn and based on real ships (a couple of fantasy ones thrown in) all cards are drawn individually with art reminiscent of the time period with quotes from 20,000 leagues under the sea added for flavour.

4 ways to victory, Explore, Science, War and Imperial. Which alter the way you play each time. They even through in a mini Nautilus for those who like toys (joke).

Having fun with this one but it's costly.

I prefer function over form. Thunderbolt Apache leader has functional chits which are easily read across a table. Most war gamers are concerned with the narrative the numbers generate in there heads.

However for a nice looking solo game try Nemo's war by VPG. The chits used for chits are individually drawn and based on real ships (a couple of fantasy ones thrown in) all cards are drawn individually with art reminiscent of the time period with quotes from 20,000 leagues under the sea added for flavour.

4 ways to victory, Explore, Science, War and Imperial. Which alter the way you play each time. They even through in a mini Nautilus for those who like toys (joke).

Having fun with this one but it's costly.

Nemo's War is great. I would warn to stay away from the co-op mode. I did demo the co-op mode at GenCon but thought it was pretty bad. I see it as a pure solo game. The co-op just spits up the "busy" work between players. Like one player is responsible for putting out the gems and reading the cards. Big whoop.

Mr E.

Nemo's War is great. I would warn to stay away from the co-op mode. I did demo the co-op mode at GenCon but thought it was pretty bad. I see it as a pure solo game. The co-op just spits up the "busy" work between players. Like one player is responsible for putting out the gems and reading the cards. Big whoop.

Yeah Alan Emerich conceded it was only added as a challenge from a backer. A token gesture if you will.
A good point to mention though.

I really wish they would have added some extra Act I Act II Act III cards instead for variability. There's 10 finale cards though and the mixture of event deck and adventure deck gives replay value.

emag

The only solo games I enjoy are story-driven ones like Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective and gamebooks (TotAN comes close, but is too unwieldy and random). Well, Age of Steam's single-player puzzle(s) are fun, too.

I don't like playing against an "AI", even one as simple as Pandemic's or that of the D&D Adventure Games'. If it's fiddly, it's even worse.

From what I understand race for the galaxy has 5000 expansions and 90% of them are garbage

There have been five expansions in 10 years, the last two of which are stand-alone (w/ base game). All are widely regarded as excellent, although the additional optional mechanics/modes that some bring in are a bit divisive (takeover option in RvI, prestige in BoW, alien orb mode in AA, invasion mode in XI; everyone seems to like goals from TGS).

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I have been hosting games teaching Aeon's End the last few days on TTS. On Monday, a guy joins in sits down and is like oh man this seems complicated. I ask if he has ever played a deckbuilding game before, and he says no. I ask if he has played coop games, he says no. I ask him what he plays on TTS and he tells me usually Uno, Candyland and Chess. So I offer to teach him.

Next day another guy comes in, bought TTS to play Cards Against Humanity because it is all he has ever played. After both games, both guys were trying to figure out where they could buy the game so they could play at home lol

I am also trying to figure that out :(

zulux21

Just spent $80 on Scythe expansion and a bunch of extras.

And here I thought boardgames would be cheaper than video games...
Heh... On the plus side board games tends to hold their value well so odds are when you tire of scythe you will be able to get most of that price back

swoon

The COIN games play great solo. You can use the AI flowchart or just play all sides. Since there is no hidden information it's pretty easy to do so. My favorite and easiest to get into is Cuba Libre, but the series features many different conflicts.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefamily/18749/gmt-coin-series

i haven't punched it yet, but i assume the new COIN game, colonial twilight will be even easier since you just have 2 players. I find the COIN flowcharts pretty simple, though tedious. Playing 4 sides kinda wrecks my brain after awhile.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Heh... On the plus side board games tends to hold their value well so odds are when you tire of scythe you will be able to get most of that price back

That is so true, and for a game like Scythe I think it will hold. I haven't dumped a bunch of games on ebay in a few years (though I'm due), so I'm wondering if that will continue to be the case generally for modern games now that we have so many new titles coming out every week, and especially Kickstarter sort of diluting the market.

zulux21

Has anyone played Vast? More specifically, Vast on solo?

It looks awesome, but I can't justify getting it if it is meh
I've played vast four times now each with a different character. It has been enjoyable even though i keep losing. I kind of treat it as a mostly two player game even with five. Not sure how it would be solo though as i only recently got my own copy when it was in sale for like thirty.

For the chits, its the number soup that is very unappealing to me. Artwork can be utilitarian while still be appealing.

Game kinda needs that number soup to function. Their games are pretty big, ton of stuff, and if they had to remove that stuff from the chits and such, they would be doubling up one content having to print everything on separate chits and cards for references.

JSR_Cube

Merlin kickstarter is live. I love a good Feld game but at $98USD for getting a Euro style game with pretty standard components through kickstarter, Queen can get bent.

zulux21

That is so true, and for a game like Scythe I think it will hold. I haven't dumped a bunch of games on ebay in a few years (though I'm due), so I'm wondering if that will continue to be the case generally for modern games now that we have so many new titles coming out every week, and especially Kickstarter sort of diluting the market.

the only games I really see tanking are ones commonly sold at places like target and what not. most of the others as long as you buy them on a sale at like CSI likely won't drop to much from what you pay.

excluding odd exceptions like Seafall which obviously was expected to sell way more than it did.

Game kinda needs that number soup to function. Their games are pretty big, ton of stuff, and if they had to remove that stuff from the chits and such, they would be doubling up one content having to print everything on separate chits and cards for references.
I can see that the artist/designer did their best to work within the limitations. I'd like to think there is still some room to better convey that information.
Merlin kickstarter is live. I love a good Feld game but at $98USD for getting a Euro style game with pretty standard components through kickstarter, Queen can get bent.
From all the fire sales I've seen for their games, they must not be doing too well

fenners

I can see that the artist/designer did their best to work within the limitations. I'd like to think there is still some room to better convey that information.

From all the fire sales I've seen for their games, they must not be doing too well

They're clearly not.

When you have to put this up on your shiny new KS campaign, you've got quite the history:

All prior Queen Games Kickstarter campaigns are fulfilled by Queen Games. Through running those campaigns we learned a lot about various Kickstarter challenges, such as coordination of production from multiple manufacturers, delays with production and shipping, challenges with shipping around the world and missing or lost packages.

If you are a previous backer who is still missing parts of your fulfillment due to postal issues, moving, etc., please submit the appropriate form from the links above. If you previously emailed us, we encourage you to submit the form, although your email will be processed.

Top Bottom