• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock Infinite PC Performance Thread

Salsa

good example of what I mean with the LOD issue

look at the amount of papers:

jboDAsmVY3smnM.jpg

jXL1vwVi1RSjQ.jpg

jbcAlb4vOnSn7Q.jpg

that line is just way too close

also it seems that with the FOV I decided on im a pair of floating arms on cutscenes :( lol

Radeon 6670M (laptop) reporting in. I've just kept it running on Medium and haven't experienced any frame drops. Might try and tinker with the settings tomorrow afternoon.

On a side note, is anybody else unable to run this game in Big Picture mode? The game's picture/sound won't display when I'm hooked up through HDMI, and launching it from within the Big Picture Steam client just causes it to crash.

Chili

Is anyone getting the stuttering with an AMD card?

One thing I've noticed is my GPU (690) load drops down to 0% from close to 100% on both GPUs when it happens, only for a split second and then it returns to 97%+. Memory textures usage is very high throughout and gets higher when the stuttering happen (Every single MB of the 4096 being used). I can't figure out if it's a lack of VRAM or some glitch that causes the GPU load to drop.

Edit: I've tried the poolsize tweak and the oneframethreadlag tweak to false, also tried something else I read on the Steam forums which was to disable AO in-game and enable it from the Nvidia Control Panel. I don't think I've noticed any difference at all.

Also, what do you have to change in the in-game settings to get the game to enable SM5FXAA? It's always set to false in the config.

Qassim

Is anyone getting the stuttering with an AMD card?

One thing I've noticed is my GPU (690) load drops down to 0% from close to 100% on both GPUs when it happens, only for a split second and then it returns to 97%+. Memory textures usage is very high throughout and gets higher when the stuttering happen (Every single MB of the 4096 being used). I can't figure out if it's a lack of VRAM or some glitch that causes the GPU load to drop.

Edit: I've tried the poolsize tweak and the oneframethreadlag tweak to false, also tried something else I read on the Steam forums which was to disable AO in-game and enable it from the Nvidia Control Panel. I don't think I've noticed any difference at all.

Yep, and although I'm on two quite old cards (Come AMD/Nvidia, I want this years refresh!), I shouldn't be stuttering this much on this game. The game renders perfectly at great framerates until I start to turn in certain sections and the framerate just drops.

It is odd, I can keep lowering the settings and it temporarily fixes it, and the lower I go the longer it seems to take before it starts again, leading me to believe that there is some sort of memory issue - it just keeps eating up memory till it is completely full, and isn't able to deal with that properly.

That is just pure speculation though, I pretty much can't play it at the moment.

can someone elaborate on what the "stuttering" issue is?

i've been getting a good framerate the entire time i play it, but every now and then the game will just hang for like a full second or two. is that what people are talking about or is my computer a dumbass?

i've been getting a good framerate the entire time i play it, but every now and then the game will just hang for like a full second or two. is that what people are talking about or is my computer a dumbass?

Yeah I get that. Seems to happen when I walk into a new area (by that I don't mean loading screen new area).

Qassim

Yep, that is what I'm getting. It doesn't always hang, it can just drop severely to about 5-10fps for a moment then go straight back up to 60.

owasog

Don't have the game yet, so I can't test myself.

But you guys with loading-stutter, you don't have a green harddrive by any chance?
Green drives like to park after a few seconds and when a game wants to load a new area, the drive startup takes a moment, causing stutter. Best to put the game on a non-parking 7200rpm drive or SSD.

If it's not loading-stutter, the usual tricks might work:
- Use MSI-afterburner's framerate-limiter.
- Set max prerendered frames to 1 in the driver.

Oublieux

Not sure if Green drives are the problem, but you could also probably bypass it by preventing the HDD from going into standby/park mode in the system settings more easily.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

But you guys with loading-stutter, you don't have a green harddrive by any chance?
Green drives like to park after a few seconds and when a game wants to load a new area, the drive startup takes a moment, causing stutter. Best to put the game on a non-parking 7200rpm drive or SSD.

It's not a drive issue. UE3 is notorious for causing momentary periods of slowdown when it's streaming in new data, and that's precisely what's happening here.

Goldenhen

I am still get stuttering with SanDisk SSD.

derExperte

I turned the head parking off in the firmware of my harddrive. And I don't experience this in other games.

owasog

It's not a drive issue. UE3 is notorious for causing momentary periods of slowdown when it's streaming in new data, and that's precisely what's happening here.
A lot of people with stutter are claiming they are against their VRAM limit. Are you saying this is not the problem?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
A lot of people with stutter are claiming they are against their VRAM limit. Are you saying this is not the problem?

The highest VRAM usage I've seen is ~1.8GB and I have 2GB cards.

Edit: 1866MB according to Afterburner.

Qassim

Hmm.. despite what I said earlier about it seeming to just be a memory problem.. I have got the game on all Ultra settings, running at a perfect 60fps, but I've dropped the texture quality down to normal..

Which for now.. seems to have fixed it completely.

I'm on 2x 5850 1GB. Obviously that is just 1GB VRAM as it isn't shared over crossfire. I could have sworn it was still doing it on lower settings before, but perhaps it was just this.

I could upgrade now, but I don't really want to spend £400+ on a new card that are over a year old. I want a refresh! :(

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member

It seems that the game will do its darndest to allocate as much free VRAM as possible regardless of settings (little variance in usage between high and ultra textures for example), but will not use memory for extensively pre-caching new areas. It could be possible that this is an engine/game code limitation, as stuttering is present even on systems with ample RAM, VRAM and SSDs; maybe the game simply doesn't dynamically stream data in this way.

EDIT: Though it might be memory after all ;)

Qassim, what resolution are you running at? I have the same cards, but haven't installed the game yet.

kharma45

Hmm.. despite what I said earlier about it seeming to just be a memory problem.. I have got the game on all Ultra settings, running at a perfect 60fps, but I've dropped the texture quality down to normal..

Which for now.. seems to have fixed it completely.

I'm on 2x 5850 1GB. Obviously that is just 1GB VRAM as it isn't shared over crossfire. I could have sworn it was still doing it on lower settings before, but perhaps it was just this.

I could upgrade now, but I don't really want to spend £400+ on a new card that are over a year old. I want a refresh! :(

Just another 7-9 months to hold out ;)

Yeah, any feedback on how it is working for you?

I've got the same setup as well- 5770 and Phenom II X4

Just installed it and ran the Benchmark utility:

V2k3d1V.jpg

1920x1080 resolution, on Very High settings.

Not 60fps or anything but honestly, it looked really good with the only real noticable slowdown right at the start. Probably tinker with the settings some more, but for my 3+ year old 5770, it performed pretty well.

Now I just have to see how it fairs in the actual game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Nah, it's UE3. The engine is notorious for stuttering when streaming in assets. Arkham City is a great example.

GorillaJu

GeForce GTX 560, 8gb ddr3 and AMD 965, I have nearly everything on ultra and getting 45-60fps at 1930x1080. Game is beautiful and runs great. Very happy overall

kharma45

I've not got the game myself yet but my brother ran this bench, might be useful for people on slightly lower-end hardware.

7GGWkfJ.png

Ran on an AMD A8-3870 CPU with an AMD 7850 GPU at stock clocks at 1600x1200. Tried to bench at his native res of 4800x1200 but the benchmark utility doesn't support that resolution.

This game's been running wonderfully for me. Steam says six hours played with no crashes. I'm playing at 1920x1200 with an i5 3570k and 670GTX and getting a solid 60 (using Adaptive VSync in the Nvidia CP) with everything as high as possible except Ambient Occlusion and Shadows. Still get stuttery drops to the 30s when it's loading, but I suppose that can't be helped.

I wish there was a 'Save and Quit' button in the menu. What use is telling me when my last autosave was? I'm so glad I don't have to change my graphical settings in an external launcher, though, and I love this new trend of having the borderless window option right in the game.

I'm getting the stutters at certain points in the game. Kind of reminds me of Arkham City. As far as technical issues go it's pretty tolerable though. You just have to stop for a second or two every now and again. Most of the time everything's smooth and, man, drop dead gorgeous.

Just some initial config tweaks to fix two glaring issues for me:

XUserOptions.ini

MinMouseLookSensitivity=0.140000
MaxMouseLookSensitivity=4.000000

Change the min/max slider to something more comfortable. These work well for my setup. The default options are way too high, apart from the very minimum which is way too low.

FieldOfView=1.500000
MaxUserFOVOffsetPercent=45.000000

Expands the FOV sider range. I like mine nice and high and this works well for me. The default max value was still too low.

Thank you so much for both of these!

Currently installing from the retail DVD (I'm a bit behind you guys) and Jesus-fucking-christ it's taking a long time! And I've only just started Disc 2!

Anyway, looks like it'll run nice on my PC!

MNC

I get a stutter with sound crackling at random intervals. Really annoying - at other times it runs great.

i5
gt 540m

any ideas?

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
3770, 16GB ddr3, GTX 660 - Most on Ultra except shadows and I think one other thing that I don't recall, anyway 43-60 fps.

Only get the UE3 hitch when hitting new areas, that's about it. Loving it!

Meia

Is it normal for overall stats to read like this:

81.77, 120.87, 20.10, 223.99, Overall

Or am I doing something wrong here with the benchmark. Haven't seen such wildly different numbers before on anything.

GTX 560 Ti
i5-2500k @ 3.3
16 GB RAM

Very High, 1680x1050 resolution

Ah well, enough with the benchmarks, time to jump in.

SRTtoZ

So with my 7970m I seem to be able to run everything at Ultra except Ambient occlusion I had to switch to normal over "alternate" and Shadows at high instead of Ultra. Keeping those settings maxed I was dropping into the 30's at parts but with them down slightly I'm maintaining 60 fps.

1080p/AA/Vsync/Ultra all except shadows high

true Gek

The internet is here to save the day! I don't know if there are any guides for this game yet, but most UE3 games have the same basic set of tweaks. I would just sit down and search the web for various guides on how to change settings and whatnot through .ini tweaks. It isn't really that hard to do, and once you know one game you will probably be able to figure out the next few.

Hum thanks... I didn't know it! I will try it with the steam account of a friend and then i decide where to bui it!

Truant

The game streams a lot of data, so it stutters like hell when it does this.

A good example would be the elevators, which are just hidden load screens.

scitek

Turning off Background Level Streaming in the ini didn't affect the game negatively for me. I didn't play much with it on, but if a game doesn't crash with it off, it usually ends up an improvement.

Also, going from Ultra shadows to Very High had literally no noticeable difference when I compared screens, but I stopped dropping frames all together in heavily shadowed areas. The "extra filtering" is negligible IMO.

Top Bottom