• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I managed to enhance that image guys

il26a.jpg

AlStrong

Yeah, but on B3D he said that even a GPU similar to the 5670 in terms of heat would require a ridiculously loud and fast fan.

Well, we do have to consider cooling that other really high clocked chip besides the GPU. :p

edit:

Oh yeah, the 5670 is also a pretty high clock itself (775MHz), and the stock cooler isn't too loud.

Though for a console, I'd probably expect the temps to be of some concern for prolonged gaming periods.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I remember someone posted a seemingly bogus game list a couple months ago. Doesn't seem so BS anymore seeing as how the New Super Mario Bros prediction was correct. Wouldn't be too surprised if the name changes were correct.

There were also articles claiming the Wii U was good for MMOs. What was the basis for this?

The trick to bogus lists is to stick safe predictions on it in order to legitimise it. NSMB is a safe prediction especially when they have already shown a WiiU demo of it.

Instro

I remember someone posted a seemingly bogus game list a couple months ago. Doesn't seem so BS anymore seeing as how the New Super Mario Bros prediction was correct. Wouldn't be too surprised if the name changes were correct.

There were also articles claiming the Wii U was good for MMOs. What was the basis for this?

Presumably the idea is that developers could map a significant amount of hotkeys/skill bars/buttons/information to the UPad screen, making the system far more friendly to MMOs than a normal console controller. Personally I think this is pretty viable, particularly if Nintendo is indeed making the online component fairly open compared to LIVE's restrictions.

guek

Banned
You guys are going to hate me but I saw a printed out image of the wii u tablet being held portrait style with some icons on it today.

Well what did you see exactly? Describe it in better detail and stop being so vague. If you're going to get in trouble for hinting at things you've seen, don't talk! Otherwise, spill dem beans!

This is how I read Ideaman's post: Nintendo is spending their time making sure the stupid gimmicks are in for launch, they'll likely update with features that are good and that everyone wants later.

/fin

This is how I read Ideaman's post: Nintendo is spending their time making sure the stupid gimmicks are in for launch, they'll likely update with features that are good and that everyone wants later.

/fin

AKA: They're Nintendo.
Though, to be fair, I doubt that Video Chat will be a selling point at first anyway.

M74

The possibility to track your head/eyes (to change what happens in the game depending on it for example), capture a little footage of you and insert it into a title, taking a video and store it in the system, the video calls option seen at E3 2011. All these (and possibly others) weren’t accessible to third-parties developers until at least February of this year.

I would love for developers to take advantage of this technology to provide a pseudo-3D experience, like the one seen here.

- We can wonder if all the features the Wii U is capable of, will be ready at launch, or, like the 3DS video capture, we will have to wait for system updates to use them. It seems Nintendo has quite some time to implement all before the release, but it’s not sure.

I'll be skipping the day one purchase if this proves true. I'm frankly tired of Nintendo's "we'll get to it later" attitude for what should be embraced as major features. Either the features are implemented and ready for prime time, or you product isn't ready for launch. Not to mention, this lackadaisical attitude undermines 3rd party support for the system's unique features. If they made a better show of it, they could rapidly grow the install base through the perceived "wow" factor of these features. Heavy reliance on system updates, like what they did with the 3DS, is a bad move.

BurntPork

Banned
240/320 is just unrealistic. It would be a 360esque GPU... who will have to render much more than a 360.

320 @750MHz would be ~2x as powerful assuming that it's similar to an RV730.

Up to your old tricks again, bp? haha

Also, don't forget that much of the system outside of the main RAM and CPU is likely to be included on the GPU package (DSP, I/O, Memory Controller). Much of it is relatively low in power drain, though, and Wii U can get away w/ alot more thanks to the shortcuts Nintendo takes in outputs (only a few USB, lack of HDD, etc).

And oh yeah, it's most likely to suck on geometry.

I also expect it to have a pretty loud fan. Maybe not 360 loud, but loud.

What old tricks? :/

Ah... can't say I recall 240-320 being reasonable. That would be a hilariously tiny chip. :p

Anyways, the ALUs aren't the only part of the equation here ( # of ROPs/TF/TA units, texture cache sizes etc). Clocks are highly variable and can have a fairly big impact on TDP via operating voltage, so it's really a question about balancing die size and clocks and resultant TDP. You certainly don't want a large chip operating at low clocks just to keep within TDP, and besides, the triangle throughput rate is directly proportional to clocks, so going with a low clock would be detrimental to that part of the rendering.

The 40nm process is certainly very mature now as well, so that'll have some impact on the number of chips that can operate within a certain TDP at a particular clock/voltage (not cherry-picking as much). So I mean, 400-640 ALUs is reasonable provided an inverse clock speed relation. You don't want the die size to be so large that it becomes a cost that carries through for the millions of chips to be fabbed.

I was basing that on the fact that you said that a 70W TDP for the console with a 40W GPU would be pushing it. Or maybe I confused you with someone else.

And yeah, I know there's more to it, but from there it gets so complex. :p

Anyway, thanks. That's exactly the range I'm hoping for. I was thinking that specs similar to Turks (480 ALUs, 8 ROPs, 24 texture units) perhaps increased to 12 ROPs.

Well, we do have to consider cooling that other really high clocked chip besides the GPU. :p

edit:

Oh yeah, the 5670 is also a pretty high clock itself (775MHz), and the stock cooler isn't too loud.

Though for a console, I'd probably expect the temps to be of some concern for prolonged gaming periods.

Yeah, a 3-3.5GHz tri-core CPU would be a bit hot. :p

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
banned site

wow, they are quick

More tidbits, as features doesn't seems to interest you (a pity).

For the memory, it won't be 1GB. If it's the case, there must have been a drastic change of plans by Nintendo. Studios already developed their games with an available pool of memory for their projects of AT LEAST 1GB. And then you have to consider the reserved space for the system software layer. Even if the latter is optimized, the system will have AT THE MINIMUM, the AT LEAST 1GB used by companies to build their games + the amount occupied by the OS. And as i already explained in Thread 2, Nintendo TOLD a few months ago third-parties that they are aiming for a bigger quantity than 1GB + let's say 0,2GB for the OS.

Vinci

Danish
Only MMOs I could see working on the Wii U screen would be Guild Wars 2 and others which feature fewer icons on the action bar. Otherwise that screen would get hard to manage really fast.

http://www.**********.com/?mode=viewstory&id=176055

wow, they are quick

More tidbits, as features doesn't seems to interest you (a pity).

For the memory, it won't be 1GB. If it's the case, there must have been a drastic change of plans by Nintendo. Studios already developed their games with an available pool of memory for their projects of AT LEAST 1GB. And then you have to consider the reserved space for the system software layer. Even if the latter is optimized, the system will have AT THE MINIMUM, the AT LEAST 1GB used by companies to build their games + the amount occupied by the OS. And as i already explained in Thread 2, Nintendo TOLD a few months ago third-parties that they are aiming for a bigger quantity than 1GB + let's say 0,2GB for the OS.

So from 512MB to 256MB?
More reasonable, at least.

guek

Banned
I want there to be at least 1.5GB of ram if microsoft is indeed going "batshit crazy" in their next console. But if it turns out to be 1GB then oh well.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
I'll be skipping the day one purchase if this proves true. I'm frankly tired of Nintendo's "we'll get to it later" attitude for what should be embraced as major features. Either the features are implemented and ready for prime time, or you product isn't ready for launch. Not to mention, this lackadaisical attitude undermines 3rd party support for the system's unique features. If they made a better show of it, they could rapidly grow the install base through the perceived "wow" factor of these features. Heavy reliance on system updates, like what they did with the 3DS, is a bad move.

They have plenty of time since January/February until the system launch to implement all these features :) But maybe some of them won't be available at the release date. I expect the ones relying on the camera to be accessible for developers before though, it's a rather important function and it would be weird that the front camera that you'll see on your padlet will have nearly no use until later system updates.

M74

I want there to be at least 1.5GB of ram if microsoft is indeed going "batshit crazy" in their next console. But if it turns out to be 1GB then oh well.

I have this (perhaps irrational) concern that anything less than 2GB will seriously hamstring the console in the foreseeable future in light of the rumors that Orbis/Durango will have anywhere between 4-8GB.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
So from 512MB to 256MB?
More reasonable, at least.

Keyword here is "if the latter is optimized".
And i've not used "OS" this time, but "system software layer", but you can add "background thingies". To be clear, maybe the OS will take 250MB, and there will be an additional 250MB reserved for multi-tasking, to put your game on hold, store your progression, switch to little applications, switch back to your game + other features.

Keyword here is "if the latter is optimized".
And i've not used "OS" this time, but "system software layer", but you can add "background thingies". To be clear, maybe the OS will take 250MB, and there will be 300MB reserved for multi-tasking, to put your game on hold, store your progression, switch to little applications, switch back to your game + other features.

512MB for all that still seems like overkill.
Really seems like it would be easier to code a layer into the system that could save your progress at almost any point, rather than having a full suspend feature like that.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
512MB for all that still seems like overkill.
Really seems like it would be easier to code a layer into the system that could save your progress at almost any point, rather than having a full suspend feature like that.

Yeah i hope for them it will be flexible and let developers tap into the maximum of memory that they can.

BurntPork

Banned
I have this (perhaps irrational) concern that anything less than 2GB will seriously hamstring the console in the foreseeable future in light of the rumors that Orbis/Durango will have anywhere between 4-8GB.

Orbis and Durango will definitely have at least 4GB, perhaps as much as 12. ;)

guek

Banned

If MS or Sony create a console with 4-8GB of ram, the kind of console they'd have to build to balance the system around that much memory would force them to price it such that it would only sell a pittance for the first 2-4 years.

If both MS and Sony go that route, I see a ratio of sales nearly identical to what we saw this generation, but with everyone as a whole likely selling less overall. Nintendo would probably get a larger share of 3rd party support than this gen simply because porting would be easier, but not by much. If either MS or Sony decide to be closer to Wii U specs than they are to the other console, things would turn out very differently, most likely in nintendo's favor.

Luigison

Combining my previous post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35909560&postcount=19446

With the current head/eye tracking and IdeaMan's post below makes me hopeful. The glasses won't be needed if eye tracking is good enough. Besides the Wii U should be able to track the Wii U controller well enough.

Also, if the rear camera is good enough it could make the screen appear transparent.

As promised, some new infos concerning the Wii U dev kits & their features

Warning: this data is relevant in a revision 4 dev kit / SDK 2 context.

My sources told me that several features, introduced in the E3 2011 presentation video or expected, were not available to the developers. It was in January/February.

Some of them are linked to the DRC camera, like the facial recognition, or the possibility to take movies with it. These functions are documented and planned, but weren't implemented at the time.

The possibility to track your head/eyes (to change what happens in the game depending on it for example), capture a little footage of you and insert it into a title, taking a video and store it in the system, the video calls option seen at E3 2011. All these (and possibly others) weren’t accessible to third-parties developers until at least February of this year.

This could have changed with later dev kits and SDK (like the 2.03)

What could be speculated from that & other tied infos that i've spread here and there on the speculation threads:

- Nintendo focused until rather lately on the asymmetrical setting of the Wii U, basically the hardware and its capability to render a content on two separate screens, one of them being a controller, leaving other points of the system for after.

- If some games at E3 2012 use these not-activated features, it will be a late implementation:
---- Because of a lack of time, maybe some companies willing to take advantage of those won’t demonstrate titles with an extensive (for the moment) utilization of facial recognition & other things relying on the camera.
---- Or these studios could have planned ahead of their activation and develop with this in mind, and they’ll have to adapt their projects when there are at their disposal (like the DRC not shown to developers until a few days before E3 2011).

- A lot of those features (i won’t reveal them all) are associated with the camera, it could be a sign that the situation about this component wasn’t settled by Nintendo, and they intend to use a sensor not-available at the time (higher resolution than the DS/3DS ones ?), or if they’ve chosen an already existing model, maybe they want to add an outward facing one, etc.

- These are surely linked to the system OS/Background. And crossed with the amount reserved for it that I’ve talked about before, it could hint toward Nintendo still in heavy development & creation of the software layer, the UI, the operating system, of the Wii U. And perhaps it’s only once this layer will be enough advanced in its conception that those features will be available to studios for their games.

- We can wonder if all the features the Wii U is capable of, will be ready at launch, or, like the 3DS video capture, we will have to wait for system updates to use them. It seems Nintendo has quite some time to implement all before the release, but it’s not sure.

Nothing groundbreaking, but I think it wasn’t heard-before, and it could nurture the speculation about the designing process of the Wii U, how some titles could implement or not these anticipated features, what we can expect concerning that come E3, if the Wii U will be complete in this area or not at launch, our wishes in regard to what these functionalities can bring to our games, applications, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom