• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

Lilo_D

After nearly 70 hours, i think I'm gonna stop playing and I've only done one dungeon :/ i just don't have the interest anymore. Could just go to Hyrule castle now and at least see the ending i suppose, but in terms of exploring the rest of the map and finishing the other dungeons, i don't know if i have it in me.

Turned off after half an hour this morning, just don't have it in me atm, which is sad. Might try and come back in a few months.

Edit - like this basically. Im burnt out on it. I'm actually looking forward to just dicking about in Lego city on Friday.

You can beat it whenever you want, it's still a good 70hrs
I can't get over games like witcher3 for 20hours tbh
Have fun on lego city

Cartho

Anyone know where I can quickly get an iron sledgehammer? I was doing the one shrine where you stasis the ball and then have to use the sledgehammer to hit the ball into the target but the sledgehammer broke.

That ****ing shrine I swear to god. That and the ones where you need to use the tilt controls to move maze for the ball have made me want to hurl my Switch into a wall.

So I think I permanently fucked up that quest where you are supposed to hunt down that white horse.

I failed to catch it early on in my adventure and hours later I felt I had enough stamina that I could tackle it again but now I can't find it.

I tried sleeping through the days to reset the nearby horses and tried talking to the quest giver again but nothing changes. I think I scared it enough times for it to move all the way to another nearby area but I don't remember where or if its still even there. What do I do?

Zesh

Great OT title. I looked at my play time last week and discovered that it was over 90 hours; I was expecting like half that.

boxter432

So I think I permanently fucked up that quest where you are supposed to hunt down that white horse.

I failed to catch it early on in my adventure and hours later I felt I had enough stamina that I could tackle it again but now I can't find it.

I tried sleeping through the days to reset the nearby horses and tried talking to the quest giver again but nothing changes. I think I scared it enough times for it to move all the way to another nearby area but I don't remember where or if its still even there. What do I do?

maybe wait for a blood moon and then look up where it shold be located. Nothing is "failable" in the game so I bet it will respawn

maxcriden

That ****ing shrine I swear to god. That and the ones where you need to use the tilt controls to move maze for the ball have made me want to hurl my Switch into a wall.

I simply could not get the final chest in that shrine. At all. I'd like to but...Bouncing off those two posts to get it, that is some seriously tricky stuff.

The tilt control maze one was another of my least faves. On the bright side, lots of great shrines out there as well.

maybe wait for a blood moon and then look up where it shold be located. Nothing is "failable" in the game so I bet it will respawn

I had multiple blood moons since then. I think the problem isn't that it didn't respawn but it didn't despawn from where I last had it.

maxcriden

I didn't know I had a house in Hateno ha.. I'll have to go check that out. Edit: just remembered the abandon house the crew is knocking down.

So there's more than one Korok Trial/shrine you find the fog in the Lost Woods? Got it.

You've already gone to Korok Forest, right? Starting from KF there are three trial shrines I think, you start all three from there. I think they're designated with paths maybe. We've only done one of them so far, it's different from the one you did though.

Definitely pursue that Hateno sidequest, IMO. It has a great benefit associated with it.

thatJohann

Is there a New Game Plus? Can I continue doing quests after the final boss or what? My OCD is forcing me to do everything and getting overwhelmed. Just wondering if I can power through and then come back and do the side missions. Anyone know?

kris.

Banned
I didn't think Nintendo would ever be able to reach the highs of Majora's Mask for me but oh my god this game is getting there.

Zedark

Is there a New Game Plus? Can I continue doing quests after the final boss or what? My OCD is forcing me to do everything and getting overwhelmed. Just wondering if I can power through and then come back and do the side missions. Anyone know?

No to the first one, though the DLC seems to have something of the sort in a Hard Mode, and yes to the second.

So who has a preference for playing BotW in docked versus portable mode? I just got the Switch yesterday and from what I read on Digital Foundry I assumed I'd like portable mode better: "beautiful screen, exact pixel mapping" etc. but I'm digging docked mode on my 23 inch IPS monitor way more. Portable mode just makes everything so much smaller. I feel like i'm playing a different, inferior looking game. The aliasing looks worse too.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
So who has a preference for playing BotW in docked versus portable mode? I just got the Switch yesterday and from what I read on Digital Foundry I assumed I'd like portable mode better: "beautiful screen, exact pixel mapping" etc. but I'm digging docked mode on my 23 inch IPS monitor way more. Portable mode just makes everything so much smaller. I feel like i'm playing a different, inferior game.
Portable mode is actually quite good. I like the big screen. However, I played 90% of the game in docked mode.

ksamedi

So I went to most places on the map and cleared around 80 shrines but where can I find the snow bowling game ? Seem to have missed it.

jariw

So who has a preference for playing BotW in docked versus portable mode? I just got the Switch yesterday and from what I read on Digital Foundry I assumed I'd like portable mode better: "beautiful screen, exact pixel mapping" etc. but I'm digging docked mode on my 23 inch IPS monitor way more. Portable mode just makes everything so much smaller. I feel like i'm playing a different, inferior looking game. The aliasing looks worse too.

The big screen experience (including surround sound) is better. The portable experience is convenient if you don't have access to the big screen.

Kandinsky

I'm taking a week off of the game, and I'm on the third day and it's hard as hell lol D:

I should stay away from the OT too!

jariw

Anyone know where I can quickly get an iron sledgehammer? I was doing the one shrine where you stasis the ball and then have to use the sledgehammer to hit the ball into the target but the sledgehammer broke.

Didn't that shrine have a Sledgehammer in it?

Anyhow, there's one available at
Link's house
. That's the place where I usually get a new one.

I've been playing this game for over 80 hours and I just discovered a dark statue thingy that you can sell your heart containers and stamina to. It's like every inch of this world has something. The sheer amount of things to do and discover is mind boggling. Nintendo has done in one try what most open world games lack.

Hattori

Banned
sweet new thread x)

so do spears max out at 30?
I've killed a bunch of Lynels and never got one that's higher

Boem

You don't have to use the sledgehammer. I was stuck on that one for a long time, but then I used a spear and got it in one or two goes. Spears make that stuff a lot easier - you can get a lot of stabs in a very short time (I think by charging the attack? Not sure, it's been a while), and it's a lot easier to see which color the arrow needs to be to get to the distance you want after each additional stab. It's also a lot easier to shoot the ball in the direction you want (especially if you lock on to the ball) since the spear stabs straight ahead.

Once I used a spear I got that one in no time at all. I've read a lot of techniques online about using two different weapons a specific number of times, putting the ball in a very specfic place, etc. All that is unnecessary. You don't need to move the ball at all, and just using a spear is all you need. Much easier than trying to do it with the sledgehammer too. And, like I said, don't forget to lock on to the ball with L. Didn't realize you could do that at first and it makes it so much easier.

This game needs one dungeon. One huge, multi-level dungeon you leave and re-enter as you progress through the game, serving as a measuring stick for your advancement in stats and skill. It should have no map and be a dark, mysterious place. It sounds like the dlc might grant my wish, but I guess we'll see.

I'm also really excited for the hard mode, as there are a lot of variables and rules they could impose that would make for a great experience. If it's merely a "monsters do more damage/there are fewer resources" affair I'm going to be very disappointed.

KevinG

I've been playing this game for over 80 hours and I just discovered a dark statue thingy that you can sell your heart containers and stamina to. It's like every inch of this world has something. The sheer amount of things to do and discover is mind boggling. Nintendo has done in one try what most open world games lack.

I've heard about this, and still haven't found it. Haha.

I've got everything invested where I want it, so I wouldn't utilize the statue at all. Just funny that I have yet to stumble on it.

This game needs one dungeon. One huge, multi-level dungeon you leave and re-enter as you progress through the game, serving as a measuring stick for your advancement in stats and skill. It should have no map and be a dark, mysterious place. It sounds like the dlc might grant my wish, but I guess we'll see.

I'm also really excited for the hard mode, as there are a lot of variables and rules they could impose that would make for a great experience. If it's merely a "monsters do more damage/there are fewer resources" affair I'm going to be very disappointed.

Besides the "no map" part Hyrule Castle sorta fulfills that.

And the first DLC will have the Cave of Trials which sounds a bit like that too.

KHlover

Banned

Phantom Hourglass has forever ruined that idea to me. Do not want.

You don't have to use the sledgehammer. I was stuck on that one for a long time, but then I used a spear and got it in one or two goes. Spears make that stuff a lot easier - you can get a lot of stabs in a very short time (I think by charging the attack? Not sure, it's been a while), and it's a lot easier to see which color the arrow needs to be to get to the distance you want after each additional stab. It's also a lot easier to shoot the ball in the direction you want (especially if you lock on to the ball) since the spear stabs straight ahead.

Once I used a spear I got that one in no time at all. I've read a lot of techniques online about using two different weapons a specific number of times, putting the ball in a very specfic place, etc. All that is unnecessary. You don't need to move the ball at all, and just using a spear is all you need. Much easier than trying to do it with the sledgehammer too. And, like I said, don't forget to lock on to the ball with L. Didn't realize you could do that at first and it makes it so much easier.

I can second this. I just found this shrine last night. I got the first one in OK with the sledgehammer but with the second "bonus round" one either it was too much force or not enough. I eventually got the second one in by
hitting it straight ahead with a sword 11 times

As for finding more sledgehammers, there are three of them lying around with lots of rocks to mine
in southern Akkala just east of Ulria Grotto

Heero5

I don't know, while that does sound cool it also reminds me of the painful Temple of the Ocean King.

Just got my Switch with this game yesterday. I am working through the introductory shrines trying to get the
paraglider
. Does any else feel bad when killing the
bokoblins
? Their scream hurts my soul.

ffdgh

This game needs one dungeon. One huge, multi-level dungeon you leave and re-enter as you progress through the game, serving as a measuring stick for your advancement in stats and skill. It should have no map and be a dark, mysterious place.

Didn't people hate that about Phantom hourglass and I assume Spirit Tracks?

vareon

I'm at 3 shrines left. Using the guide a bit, the only thing I know is that they're located in Hebra, Wasteland, and Gerudo, and one of them is a shrine quest.

I'd like to explore every inch tonight but I have a headache :/

Apt101

So rupees. I needs em. What's the best way you long-timers have found to farm them? I'm pretty much resorting to mining, but there has to be a better way.

Berzerkiymc

Neo Member
ok little update here

67 shrines down

4 divine beasts

41 kurok seeds

master sword
Hylian Shield

5 armor sets

Zelda's Horse

5 memories

also full map unlocked.

80 hours in and i feel like im now discovering 25% of the game

The Hermit

That's an accurate title.

I finished last week and stopped for a while. Decided to return yesterday and investigate the peak of mount Lanayru.

I am hooked again.

About to play this on a 3 hour flight. This is where the Switch shines. All this goodness on the go.

Just arrived from a 2 and a half hour flight and it passed by like a breeze. Now I am at the hotel playing.

It is amazing how I can just put the switch to sleep in a second and resume the game in 5 seconds whenever I want to. I did just that when they were delivering the in flight lunch. This shit is just so convenient. I just wish and hope there will be great games after BOTW in the Switch's life, I am worried this will still be the highlight once the generation is over :(

purg3

slept with Malkin
Finished the last divine beast last night. Just need to close out the remaining memories and final battle. I haven't had this much fun getting lost in a game in quite some time. Definitely speaks to the world they created.

jonno394

You can beat it whenever you want, it's still a good 70hrs
I can't get over games like witcher3 for 20hours tbh
Have fun on lego city

I know I can, just even going to Hyrule Castle now will take me likely a couple of hours, and It just doesn't excite me right now. It's a fantastic game, but I really struggle with huge openworld titles, so to have got 70 hours out of this is a miracle!

Silvard

Does anyone know the total amounts of gems/rare items you need to upgrade everything, without disclosing what it's for? It would be useful for me/people who aren't sure whether to sell the stuff because they don't want to have to farm them later for the upgrades.

jariw

So rupees. I needs em. What's the best way you long-timers have found to farm them? I'm pretty much resorting to mining, but there has to be a better way.

I do a combination of things.

After each bloodmoon, I visit this place (
on the east side
) where there's a lot of things to mine. It takes about 10 minutes to run through the whole area now and gives me around 5000 rupees in average, I guess. There are a couple of shrines that have rare ore close to them as well.

When I've been to Hebra, I sell all my
gourmet meat

I do a lot of guardian hunting, and sell all the parts that I don't need for other purposes.

I also sell the (red/yellow/white) chuchu jelly that I don't need for upgrade. Hitting the big chuchus with a fire/ice/electricity tools gives me twice the rupees.

I occasionally sell some of the monster parts I don't need.

If I cook, I've occasionally made some dishes/potions to sell.

I do the climbing rupee mini game occasionally, for fun. Have never done the bowling yet.

Dr.Hadji

On the latest 8-4 Play, Mark sort of laments that the first 20 or so hours of the game is so surprising that its disappointing to finally recognise the loop and structure of the game. Which I thought was an interesting point (as I've seen if brought up in the thread as well). Mark's same point can be made about almost any game. The running around in the courtyard in Mario64 and jumping into your first painting is a certain type of magic that the rest of the game doesn't recreate.

I feel that this sentiment is coming up more often with BotW because
1. BotW's "begging" is so long compared to other games. Mark's 20 hour begging is longer than most single player games! Following natural assumptions, one might be fooled into thinking this long stretch of game is going to be how the entire game is going to be.

2. Being a game whose premise in the unfettered sense of adventure and exploration, finding some sort of structure might dampen the mystery a player might expect to last throughout the entirety of the game.

An interesting feeling that's coming up here and there. While I felt these things too, the only thing that changed for me is that I had to take a more active role in engaging in things that would be stoke those same fires of adventure. While the beginning of the game, that mystery was given out freely.

Top Bottom