• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Look at the Live-Action Portion of ReBoot... reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheerilee

So far I haven't seen anything I would consider a dealbreaker. Different, yes, but I'm willing to wait and see where they go with this. If this new show is as good as the original, I certainly won't be bitching about the presence of live-action Users.

Sure, but what does the name recognition buy except negative response from old fans? Just call it something else.

Then why not call it something else? I thought the point of reboots and remakes was to capitalise off of old fans while attracting new ones?

Mainframe basically died and their remains were purchased by Vancouver-based VFX studio "Rainmaker".

Rainmaker/Mainframe has survived for decades since then by working on direct-to-video Barbie movies, and they've been itching to do something more meaningful. Then the clock ticked forward and some previously-lost Reboot rights reverted back to Rainmaker/Mainframe, and now they want to prove themselves, to prove that they're worthy of being known as the studio that made Reboot, even though they've essentially been rebuilt Ship of Theseus-style into an entirely new studio.

They were trying to pitch a new Reboot for years, and this live action/CG hybrid approach was the only one that got any sort of traction with networks and investors.

If these guys are truly Mainframe, then I have faith that they can make this Reboot work. If they can't do it, then I guess that means they're really not Mainframe anymore.

Cheerilee

There are just enough ex Mainframers left in Rainmaker to make this a worthwhile venture. Maybe.

Even if it was entirely fresh blood, I'd be willing to give them the chance to prove themselves if they expressed a desire to take up an old mantle which they had the right to claim.

I'm cautiously optimistic. Very cautiously. My expectations are low, but it costs me nothing to give people the benefit of the doubt, and if they succeed, that's great for everyone.

Didn't Reboot suck?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKfSeaaUda8

I've been back in LA for years now. Did it remotely. Miss Vancouver but I probably wouldn't be able to afford living in downtown like I did back in Mainframe days.

Probably. I remember the turn over in the animation department was really high due to the pressure of the production schedule. Those poor guys worked like enslaved Binomes.

RebootS3_zpsctuhchz8.jpg~original

I'm not surprised by this. I remember there being a huge delay between the first half and second half of Season 3. There was like.. what? A year long break? It was pretty obvious that the show was going through some production issues. But then again, Mainframe was also working on multiple shows for YTV Canada. They also had Beast Wars (called Beasties here, yeah) and some other stuff as well.

I'm surprised that they even made it to a season 4 with those two movies.

Personally I think season 3 was Reboot at it's best. It was most definitely the least formulaic and it was trying to imitate the story arc style of Japanese anime from the time. Dragon Ball Z was clearly a big influence. It was pretty ambitious.

To be honest, I wasn't the biggest fan of the season 4 movies. But they were still solid. It is still a series worth watching, even though the CG is dated. At the time, it was pretty state of the art for a CG show, but there are animation and modeling techniques present that really date it. But that is the state of technology and what the animators had to work with.

The voice cast is also great. Tony Jay as Megabyte and Shirley Millner as Hexidecimal killed it. Also, the woman that voiced older AndraIa was a radio personality in Vancouver for a station called CFox. It was weird hearing her voice on the show. Mel Gibson's brother Donal Gibson was the voice of the web surfer guy.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
That sounds so bad. Why the fuck do they need human characters at all?! I remember the original having surprisingly sharp humour and it doesn't even need a remake as it still holds up pretty well. Fuck's sake.

Because TV execs are still worse than Hitler, this hasn't changed from 20 years ago.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I've been back in LA for years now. Did it remotely. Miss Vancouver but I probably wouldn't be able to afford living in downtown like I did back in Mainframe days.

Probably. I remember the turn over in the animation department was really high due to the pressure of the production schedule. Those poor guys worked like enslaved Binomes.

RebootS3_zpsctuhchz8.jpg~original
I can confirm - living downtown on this salary isn't maybe the best?

Ganhyun

this... feels like a bad idea..

but its cool seeing people itt that put in concepts for it and also worked on the original.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom