• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My dog passed away today the feeling is so numb

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcelw540

Hey everybody this past 2 weeks has been rough. So my dog (boxer) Marvin was starting to have issues with having feces that looked like black tar. We immediately took him the vet and they said he seems normal besides that so they assumed it was something either stuck in his stomach or a tiny bit of bleeding in the intestine. They gave us medication and was looking up for a few days then he stopped eating and drinking. We took him back to the vet they didn't know what it was but gave us new pills to help him eat. Didn't work we took him to an emergency vet for the weekend since he was shaking and breathing heavy. They took him for Sunday to Monday morning. They told us it's something serious but the x-rays and blood test couldn't pin point it. We picked him up and seemed a bit better and took back to our normal vet to check up. They immediately transferred to the highest rated vet in my province to do an ultra sound. He had the ultra sound this morning and told us to come in the afternoon. They told us he had cancer in the intestine. He had 2 months with treatment and a week maximum at the vet or less then 48 if we took him home. Me and my family decided to make an appointment at our local vet to put him down tomorrow. We took him back home to feel more comfortable and he loved being in his bed in the living room. We brought him home and he stayed there for about two hours until we noticed his bowels gave out and his legs. At this time our local vet closed so we arranged to go back to the top-end vet that we were earlier because it's 24/7. We did it a few hours ago and it's unreal thinking I'll never see him again and just to think 3 weeks ago he was perfectly normal. I'm glad he's not suffering but I wish I could spend more time. I'll post a picture of him in a bit.

anaron

I'm truly so sorry for your loss and his passing. :(

Losing my dogs is/was the hardest thing ever for myself and so many others.

Don't beat yourself up over unspent time with him, you loved him and he knew that you loved him. It's always really tough to lose a pet, just remember the great times you had together.

daffy

Banned
Literally gasped at the bowels and legs giving out part. I wouldn't be able to deal. Would literally be a puddle. So sorry op :(

Sounds like you made a difficult but the best possible choice for your dog. You gave him the best care you could, you didn't prolong his suffering, and you were with him to the end. Not a lot of dogs get that. Not a lot of people get that, actually. It's a shitty situation, but I think you guys did the best you possibly could.

I hope he lived a great life and that you have plenty of good memories.

V-Gief

It really sucks to lose loved ones like that. Sorry for your loss :( I had to put down my dog last year, and the one two years prior to that, both due to cancer. Fucking cancer. I hope that you're able to continue on and remember the good times you had with Marvin.

Soul_Pie

Sorry to hear. :( You absolutely did the right thing, though.

Try to remember the great moments and the love you had, and still have.

Dogs are the best, we're lucky to have them.

Pikma

Banned
I'm very sorry to hear this, I know how painful this can be but please try and cherish the happiest moments you spent with him, I'm sure you'll continue to make him a happy boy wherever he is.

RIP Marvin

Boxers are such beautiful dogs, I've had 3 over the years :(

Sorry for your loss, but remember that you gave that dog a bloody great life, with much more love, food and care than many dogs will get. Remember the good times OP, hoping you feel better soon.

My condolenses. It is heart-wrenching losing a pet or any animal for that fact. Seems like you did the best you could with the situation. I always worry if the pets are suffering by keeping them alive or if I could have done more when going for the injection.

Always hard to know what to do as things can never be clear about whats bothering them. Animals always put up with pain like a champ. I feel for you and hope you know deep inside that you did your best and its never easy.

Cheesy to say but time does heal wounds. Hopefully good memories can remain and the pain reside over time.

mr lurtle

Really sorry to hear that. I lost one of my dogs last year and my second one got really sick recently and almost had to be euthanized as well. Thankfully she pulled through so far but still has ongoing treatment every day.

Sorry for your loss. People always tell you how good it is to have a dog in your life but nobody ever tells you how hard it is when you have to let them go. I'll be in absolute bits when it's time for my big fella to cross the rainbow bridge.

xk0sm0sx

You made the right choice, OP.
Your dog knows it has the most loving owners in the world, and it passed away with no regrets, so take comfort knowing that you gave the dog the best in his life!

highrider

Banned
Despite the contentious pet threads on here, dogs and cats are the best. I'm sorry for your loss op, and thank you for giving a pet a loving home.

My condolences.It's hard and painful but it's also the right thing to do to avoid suffering. Remember the good times as they will always stay with you.

Remf

I feel your pain man. I actually have an appointment this morning with the vet to take my 2nd boxer in to possibly put her down (had to put the first one down 4 years ago due to cancer as well). She's stopped eating and has been having more shaking fits lately. If there is a way for her to get better, I'll do it, but she's old and I don't want her to suffer either. Unfortunately it is one of these things we have to deal with since there is only a finite time they will be with us. It will be rough for a while, But it will get better

dcelw540

Thanks for all the kind words guys. I appericate it, waking up today and realising he's not on my bed or walking around in the morning is still processing for me. Day one without my favourite guy.

17596266_328151240920790_2647528011460509696_n.jpg

17439192_1140651676063440_2921213794396930048_n.jpg

I'm very sorry for your loss, OP. I dread the day I have to say goodbye to my buddy.

Thanks for all the kind words guys. I appericate it, waking up today and realising he's not on my bed or walking around in the morning is still processing for me. Day one without my favourite guy.

17596266_328151240920790_2647528011460509696_n.jpg

He was a damn handsome dog.

br3wnor

That's awful OP, sorry for your loss.

My wife's family dog is 13 and he's got a few medical ailments, when it's his time I am going to be crushed. Have known him for 7 years and he's the first dog that I really connected with. We moved in with my in-laws for a year before we got our house and my wife was taking night classes so I hung out with him every night for 2-3 hours, just me and him chilling. Grew such a bond and I'm so grateful to have had that time with him. Now we only see him a couple of times a week but he still perks up every time we meet.

Have an 8 month old pup of our own now and while it's (hopefully) very far off, the day his time comes is going to be brutal, the love we have for him is so intense.

Dogs are amazing creatures.

ch4fx_

Very handsome boy OP, he was lucky to have someone like you to care for him. Feel good in knowing that he appreciated you as much as you appreciated him.

I went back & forth on which appreciate(d) to use, apologies if the past tense comes off as inconsiderate. Certainly NOT my intention.

Sorry to hear.

Our 12 year old pom is about to die, I think. I've been thinking every day this week I'll come home to her dead, but she keeps going. We've been nursing her with a syringe and she ate for the first time last night on her own too so maybe she's getting better.

I know the feeling, I'm dreading it.

I'm thinking of me and my fiancé dog now, while I'm at work, and someone started cutting onions. I'm Hoping she is around for at least for our kids to have memories of her. Sorry OP for your loss.
I've had a dog die in my arms, I hope no one has to experience that either.

katkombat

Banned
Love you OP, it will get easier.

I'm down to one dog (he's a 9yr old English bulldog) from 4 and it was never easy. I love my dogs

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Sorry to hear OP me & my family lost our cat 'Garfy' 3 weeks ago we had him for 20yrs he was like a son to me & a brother to our Daughter who was 4 when we got him we are/were all pretty distraught

Osukaa

OP I'm really sorry for your loss and I know how hard it is to lose a family member. I lost 2 of them last year. A dog that we had for 13 years and a Cat we had for 12 years. Honestly I still get teary eyed when I realize that they're not here for me to relax with and pet them and even cuddle with them when I feel down. My pets were there to listen to all my problems that I wouldn't dare tell anyone else and to lose that is just heartbreaking.

I sympathize with you man. It hurts like hell and it sucks but what gets me through the hard times is just remembering all the fun times we had together in life cause it was a hell of a up and down life cycle but we still all stuck through it and I think that part of the reason I never gave up was because of them being in my life. We should feel blessed that we had that time and of the memories we have together. I know your dog was awesome and he felt loved and was happy to be with you. Keep your head up and its ok to mourn. I wish you all the best.

Ashhong

God dammit. I don't know what I would do if this suddenly happened to my dog. They are such happy and kind animals that just want to be loved. Hurts me deep to read stories like this. My sincerest condolences :(

bender

What time is it?
I'm sorry for your loss. Know that you did the right thing. I'll keep your family and Marvin in my thoughts.

Brutal man. Losing dogs is the worst. Not just the loss of a close friend but how ridiculously empty the house feels afterwards.

Sounds like you did the best thing for him and the dude had a good life...and a cool name.

suplex

I am very sorry for your loss.

Boxers are awesome dogs, a friend of mine used to have a boxer back in high school, and he was always so lovable chill and goofy.

I'm planning on getting a Boxer in the future, and naming him/her Marvin actually, after Marvelous Marvin Hagler.

joelseph

Our 12 year old pom is about to die, I think. I've been thinking every day this week I'll come home to her dead, but she keeps going. We've been nursing her with a syringe and she ate for the first time last night on her own too so maybe she's getting better.

Hang in there. I'm sending positive vibes her way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom