• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost in the Shell |OT| I was born in the sea of information

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems like most of the positive reviews are coming from either seeing it as its own thing and/or not having familiarity with the anime

dunno if that's good or bad

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

I think that's how it's gonna pan out. If you're absolutely in the camp of "OMG THEY WHITEWASHED THE MAJOR!" you're probably not going to like it. But "it's not for you.jpg" because Paramount is obviously targeting folks that didn't watch the anime in 1995.

For me, the art-style turned me around on it. I thought they wouldn't do it justice with ScarJo being on board. But seeing the trailer(s) has made me cautiously optimistic that it won't be a total dumpster fire. So I'm hoping it at least entertains me, even if it isn't "Ghost in the Shell"-y in anything else.

Shy

I came back from seeing it about two hours ago.

It's not good at all. Generic crap.
With a few tweaks they could just given it a different name and released it.
Without giving a spoilery review, i'll use this analogy
The live action ghost in the shell is to the anime version, as Into Darkness is to the Wrath of Khan.

Whenever they reused a scene from the 95 film, where there was quiet and thoughtfulness, their version either loud and bombastic, or lacking any subtly (which can also be phrase to best describe the film)
Entirely missing the point.

On the few positives i will say.

It looked good for the most part. (I think they went overboard with the holo-billboards)
Kitano was very good. (but not very Aramaki like, i'd say. and dat hair looked awful)
I liked the fellow who played Batou . (out of all the characters, i'd say the came closest with him. And even then, eh)
I also liked a character with a small part called Dr. Dahlin (who is the equivalent to the Coroner Dr. Haraway from Innocence)
And the final thing i can think of the top my head. I liked that they gave Togusa his mullet and a Mateba like revolver. (it might actually be a real Mateba. I couldn't tell because i have very bad eyesight. Sorry)

Seeing it Saturday and hope it's good. Only watched random episodes a long time ago back on adult swim so I'm pretty much going in without knowing hardly anything to compare it to.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Maybe asked, but if I wanted to read/watch original stuff before this movie, what do I read/watch?

You're on a short clock if you want to read/watch much before seeing. The 1995 original movie is most people's introductions to the franchise as a whole and is as good of a place to start as any.

Watch the two seasons of the Stand Alone Complex TV series if you want to see the world of Ghost in the Shell fully fleshed out. Stand Alone Complex is probably the definitive Ghost in the Shell experience. If the 1995 movie or this new live-action movie interest you at all, you should watch it. It also has a movie in its continuity called Solid State Society that's also really good.

That's probably all you really need to get primed for the movie, if anything, but there's lots of other stuff you can read/watch.

Digibro has a pretty good video breaking it all down.

B33

Banned

With a few tweaks they could just given it a different name released it.
The live action ghost in the shell is to the anime version, as Into Darkness is to the Wrath of Khan.

Whenever they reused a scene from the 95 film, where there was quiet and thoughtfulness, their version either loud and bombastic, or lacking any subtly (which can also be phrase to best describe the film)

On the few positives i will say though is.

It looked good for the most part. (I think they went overboard with the holo-billboards)
Kitano was very good. (but not very Aramaki like, i'd say. and dat hair looked awful)
I liked the fellow who played Batou . (out of all the characters, i'd say the came closest with him. And even then, eh)
I also liked a character with a small part called Dr. Dahlin (who is the equivalent to the Coroner Dr. Haraway from Innocence)
And the final thing i can think of the top my head. I liked that they gave Togusa his mullet and a Mateba like revolver. (it might actually be a real Mateba. I couldn't tell because i have very bad eyesight. Sorry)

How's Kuze?

Chumley

Banned
Reviews are very heartening so far. 71 percent I always figured was on the high end of what it was likely to get, so I'm really excited. Of course it could always go way down but so far so good.

Wow, some people just want this movie to be bad.

A ton of people here literally said "it shouldn't have been made" when asked what the filmmakers could have done, barring not casting ScarJo, to make them happy.

Kthulhu

I intend to see this this weekend. My expectations aren't high, but if it can at least be a decent film on it's own and get some more people interested in GiTS that otherwise wouldn't be, I'll be happy.

Any impressions from someone's who's never seen the anime? How is it as a standalone movie? Don't care about how it is as an adaptation

Kthulhu

Any impressions from someone's who's never seen the anime? How is it as a standalone movie? Don't care about how it is as an adaptation

I'm gonna try and drag one of my friends who's never see it to the movie, and I have a co worker that is gonna see it who's unfamiliar. I'll post their thoughts if I can.

Shy

Welp.
Yep...... *sigh*

Spoiler for Kuze's motivation in the film (WARNING some people may find this a serious spoiler. So please don't yell at me)
It's just boring and dumb revenge plot.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Hoping it stays fresh.

Been super excited for it ever since we got the first clip, and everything since then has looked great.

Chumley

Banned

With a few tweaks they could just given it a different name released it.

On the few positives i will say though is.

I haven't seen it yet but every single shot I've seen from the trailers are far from what I'd call "generic crap". Everything else very well might be, but the visual style and cinematography is already something I think is pretty unique, we don't really get cyberpunk movies like this very often at all.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
I remember seeing the original on VHS. I fell asleep during it. I have the blu ray remake and it seems pretty good.

What's happening with the embargo? Well, we've had these things happen here. No one passes the memo to the Finnish distributors while there's already reviews in the wild. Typical.

I'll write something a bit later on as I need to get a confirmation.

EDIT: We'll obey the written rule. So until tomorrow. :)

anaron

I haven't seen it yet but every single shot I've seen from the trailers are far from what I'd call "generic crap". Everything else very well might be, but the visual style and cinematography is already something I think is pretty unique, we don't really get cyberpunk movies like this very often at all.
Agreed.

Not to invalidate their opinion, but I think certain complaints read as overtly nitpicky.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
So many people are really invested in seeing this money crash and burn, to the point where I see people nitpicking the wildest things.

Theorry

Friend of mine saw a early screening last night. Never seen the anime. And he liked it.
He kept saying it felt alot like the first Matrix film if he needed to make a comparision.

marmoka

Banned
Mixed reviews then.

Honestly, I have a lot of curiosity to watch what they did.

At least they didn't screw it up this time like they did with Dragon Ball.

Was a huge fan of the animation (first DVD I ever bought back when Manga charged ~$30 for the barebones releases) and read the big paperback collection back in the day. I'll probably end up watching this out of morbid curiosity. Hoping for the best.

NewGame

Banned
I don't understand how they could screw up this, all they had to do was remake the GitS movie in live action and they couldn't even do that.

Something like The Matrix did fine and it wasn't an adaptation.

I will still end up watching this but I will try to turn my brain off and not think of the anime.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
If this succeeds, it sends the message that filmmakers should just pillage classic anime/manga, strip them of everything that made them worthwhile outside of visual design, then slap ScarJo, or maybe Chris Evans, on it and call it a day.

I mean, why not? You'll get sales from the fans anyway. And then you'll also get to bill it as a "reboot" of a "classic". And then you'll get in some more viewers who just want to see ScarJo/Evans naked.

Considering Alita and Akira are supposedly in production, this film doing well bodes ill for both those films.

And I shudder to think what they'll do to Kon's films. Maybe Tokyo Godfathers starring Tom Hanks? Millennium Actress with Cate Blanchett!

So yeah, I hope it crashes and burns.

Alienfan

Considering people love to hate on remakes, and people have been lining up since its announcement to shit on it, I'd say the reviews are pretty good so far.

Chumley

Banned
If this succeeds, it sends the message that filmmakers should just pillage classic anime/manga, strip them of everything that made them worthwhile outside of visual design, then slap ScarJo, or maybe Chris Evans, on it and call it a day.

I mean, why not? You'll get sales from the fans anyway. And then you'll also get to bill it as a "reboot" of a "classic". And then you'll get in some more viewers who just want to see ScarJo/Evans naked.

Considering Alita and Akira are supposedly in production, this film doing well bodes ill for both those films.

And I shudder to think what they'll do to Kon's films. Maybe Tokyo Godfathers starring Tom Hanks? Millennium Actress with Cate Blanchett!

This comes off as so bitter. If it does well and introduces people to the original, is that really such a bad thing?

Yeah I hate how the release of this movie means everyone has to burn all their copies of the animes and they will forever more cease to exist. Disgusting movie.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
This comes off as so bitter. If it does well and introduces people to the original, is that really such a bad thing?
But it won't. Do you think people went out to read All You Need Is Kill after Edge of Tomorrow? Hell I think that was a pretty good movie and I haven't read All You Need Is Kill yet.
Yeah I hate how the release of this movie means everyone has to burn all their copies of the animes and they will forever more cease to exist. Disgusting movie.
I don't see anything good that come out of this movie succeeding. It'll just means more half-assed reboots that "miss the point".

In this renaissance of sci-fi films with original, envelope pushing stories like Her, Arrival and Ex Machina do we really need a bad Blade Runner painted over with geishas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom