• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Endless Space |Intel Thread| 4X Space Strategy by ex-Ubi/EA devs

Emitan

WTF are these?

ViYwN.jpg

epmode

That blue one in the lower left kind of looks like a Disney duck. Duck bill. Something ducky. I can't stop staring!

That blue one in the lower left kind of looks like a Disney duck. Duck bill. Something ducky. I can't stop staring!

DAMN YOU, EPMODE. Now cannot unsee.

It does remind me of B5's Minbari colour scheme crossed with the strange leviathan ships from Genesis Rising.

bSgwp.jpg

(awful comparison, really)

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
how is it better than Sins of Solar Empire: Rebellion? Looks like both have good graphics and depth. Deciding on which game I should buy to get access to alpha.

Who knows, Sub...we've got a fair idea of what to expect with Sins:Rebellion. This? Not so much, but I think it's a safe bet that the alpha will be in better shape than the mess that was Sword of the Stars 2. Not hard, but still.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Who knows, Sub...we've got a fair idea of what to expect with Sins:Rebellion. This? Not so much, but I think it's a safe bet that the alpha will be in better shape than the mess that was Sword of the Stars 2. Not hard, but still.

what? Sins:Rebellion is made by these guys?

Corto

Pylon, GAF should have a dedicated RSS feed for your threads hehehehehe And I find those ships just beautifully alien just like they should.

Edit: So the Alpha will be accessible through Steam included in the pre-order pack? Neat.

dionysus

Yaldog
No no, it was more a comment on my faith in Amplitude delivering a more stable alpha than what Kerberos shat out and called a final release - before being quickly called on it.

Is that game playable yet? SotS2 reinforced why I stopped buying games on day 1.

Carcetti

Looks great! I can never resist a space 4X, but the I've been burned a lot of times by them too. This looks very nice in any case.

Is that game playable yet? SotS2 reinforced why I stopped buying games on day 1.

Well, actually, sort of. It's playable but patches are still coming out and I always feel like I should wait for the next one before actually playing.

McNum

So, let me see if I get this straight, if I pre-order the Emperor's Edition on Steam, I get an alpha version of the game, and some kind of vote in how certain things should be in the game while it's being developed?

I don't think I've seen that model ever before. Kind of surprised how cheap the "ultra-super-get-your-name-in-the-credits" version is. That's less than most standard editions...

Corto

So, let me see if I get this straight, if I pre-order the Emperor's Edition on Steam, I get an alpha version of the game, and some kind of vote in how certain things should be in the game while it's being developed?

I don't think I've seen that model ever before. Kind of surprised how cheap the "ultra-super-get-your-name-in-the-credits" version is. That's less than most standard editions...

The Alpha build is downloaded through Steam also. I find the whole community features very cool and a different take on the whole Alpha funding/crowd funding of games. I'm pleasantly surprised that Valve entered this space.

McNum

The Alpha build is downloaded through Steam also. I find the whole community features very cool and a different take on the whole Alpha funding/crowd funding of games. I'm pleasantly surprised that Valve entered this space.
Well, I've grown a little tired of GalCiv2, so maybe I should get me some Emperor's Edition while it's on sale. It'd make me giggle a little to see a "McNum" under special thanks.

itxaka

Defeatist
that looks incredibly clean to be a 4x game. Theya re usually full of statistics and things and shit.

Apparently from what I just read, the consensus is that the UI is great, and it doesn't overwhelm you and with the tooltips it never leaves you scratching your head.

*Edit* Jumped in on the Admiral Edition, the alpha client is 1.6gb.

epmode

I really, really, really, really, really want this to be good. But I have been burned before! Does anyone have impressions from the current build?

Corto

Dabbled a bit on the alpha and the UI is indeed very slick, not cluttered, the tool tips are abundant and there seems to be a very neat system of notifications that brings forth the most important info you have to handle with the highest priority.

The research tree is huge!

2963274b.jpg

Island

Is this alpha in a semi-playable state? I only heard about this game today. I would probably pick it up if it wasnt for D3 and TERA right now (Oh and a side of Tribes to!)

Wouldnt mind getting it though for another side project if its playable. Meaning there is enough content here for an entire match, etc.

Took a leap of faith and preordered it and played the alpha for a few hours. Not the kind of game I usually play, but I had fun with it. It felt pretty detailed and complex, to the point where I really would have liked to have a some ingame manual(unless I missed it?).

As to if it's good: Since I don't usually play these kinds of games I can't make any comparison, but aside from a slightly confusing UI I had a hard time putting it away.

Edit: As for stability, from what I could see it's quite playable. I had a few bugs - one which was sort of bad, but other than that it was smooth.

Corto

Is this alpha in a semi-playable state? I only heard about this game today. I would probably pick it up if it wasnt for D3 and TERA right now (Oh and a side of Tribes to!)

Wouldnt mind getting it though for another side project if its playable. Meaning there is enough content here for an entire match, etc.

The alpha seems to be playable with just a few races and multiplayer locked out with a starting warning of possible balancing issues.

Great work, fellows! Can't wait to try it out!

More impressions, if you've got 'em!

EDIT: Adam over at Space Sector did a roaring first impressions preview of the alpha! HERE.

And it's early days. I wholeheartedly implore folks who've preordered to keep an eye on the Amplitude forums and throw down your ideas and vote on gameplay ideas/design choices etc.

Crazy this is an alpha.

I also am not too familiar with 4x type games(played Homeworld but that was more RTS, right?) but, I have to say again the UI is very smooth. The notifications, hover info, even the point mouse and zoom in, all work to make the game user friendly while having depth. The interface doesn't work against you.

In games like Total War, I usually let the AI handle the governing duties while I fight. I let the AI manage my systems for now while I just explore. Lost my ship to a pirate but I didn't see the battle, next time I'll go out with a fleet.

It seemed overwhelming at first but once I sat down played played it, I saw how intuitive everything was.

Probably will play a little more but I may wait for the actual to fully experience the game. All I can think of now is maybe some voice-work and expand the music would be nice to make it more atmospheric.

I've got a feeling the soundtrack will be sublime, given the clean and space-operatic ambience they're going for! Tasteful. The alpha trailer certainly paints such a picture.

volturnus

Banned
I'd never heard of this game before, but I'm a sucker for space strategy games and wanted to support the creation of such games, so I bought right after seeing it in Steam's facebook feed.
I was completely blown by the scope and complexity of the game in its alpha state, and I'm enjoying at lot so far, even though I feel like I suck at it.
Very nice thread btw.
Click the first tech in queue and the list is reset.
It didn't work when I first tried, but after restarting it worked fine. Can't complain, though, since it's an alpha.

Corto

Behold the Conqueror of Pardalis

18992-6420.gif

18e05df6.jpg

How're you liking the Planetary/Star System development aspect, Corto? It sounds quite interesting, based on the Space Sector preview.

I'm still wrapping my head around it, but there's a system wide development system and then each individual planet has its own called "Exploitations". You can also hire heroes that can affect your military or development/research stats. It's not daunting though, just needs a bit of acclimatization.

I'd never heard of this game before, but I'm a sucker for space strategy games and wanted to support the creation of such games, so I bought right after seeing it in Steam's facebook feed.
I was completely blown by the scope and complexity of the game in its alpha state, and I'm enjoying at lot so far, even though I feel like I suck at it.
Very nice thread btw.

It didn't work when I first tried, but after restarting it worked fine. Can't complain, though, since it's an alpha.

Yes. The interface some times seems unresponsive. Another situation I've encountered that was selecting ships. Understandable in the current state of development.

edit: a deselect/delete option in the interface would be very welcomed. The research queue is an example of this need and I've already lost some developments just by selecting them in the queue. A two step confirmation process would be optimal.

Corto

Oh and there are random events that can affect the galaxy/ships/planets. I had a Supernova Explosion (nothing too spectacular, just a text notification) in one of my plays that affected my ships navigation systems.

Oh and there are random events that can affect the galaxy/ships/planets. I had a Supernova Explosion (nothing too spectacular, just a text notification) in one of my plays that affected my ships navigation systems.

Awesome! Curious as to the automated combat...works well?

Corto

Awesome! Curious as to the automated combat...works well?

The encounters can be auto resolved with a simple encounter screen that shows a power shift bar and the fleets compositions. Or you can opt for the manual combat, fights then are divided in phases (long range, medium range and melee) and for each phase you can select a "card" with some special ability (sabotage, engineering/repair, offence, etc) to use in that phase. I havent't discovered yet how can we get more cards/abilities, maybe through military research (almost certain that would be the case).

TGMIII

In my head I LOVE the idea of 4X/Space sims but I can never really get into them. I tried X3 and Sword of the Stars 2 recently and they just didn't grip me. Trying hard not to buy this without hearing some good feedback, so to those of you who bought it how is it at the moment obviously keeping in mind it's an Alpha.

Top Bottom