• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: Discovery |OT| To Boldly Stream Where No One Has Streamed Before

pulsemyne

That wouldn't make sense given The Borg was using that network for centuries. Also, the only reason The Borg didn't hit Earth sooner is they weren't aware. Though that even gets a bit messy given First Contact and that episode of Enterprise.

The enterprise episode actually states that the Borg ship sent out a sub space message to the delta quadrant and that it would take around 200 years to get there. The message contained a series of pulsar locations giving a star map location for earth.
It does make some sense then for the Borg to receive the message and proceed towards earth and attack and assimilate earth and romulin outposts in an attempt to gain information about the alpha quadrant.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Really? I thought they were two very different characters. At the very least, Tory wasn't even remotely as aggressive as Landry was.
I felt like she was channeling some Season 4 Tory and would have loved to have seen where it went.

Z0Mw3YG.gif

The enterprise episode actually states that the Borg ship sent out a sub space message to the delta quadrant and that it would take around 200 years to get there. The message contained a series of pulsar locations giving a star map location for earth.
It does make some sense then for the Borg to receive the message and proceed towards earth and attack and assimilate earth and romulin outposts in an attempt to gain information about the alpha quadrant.
The Borg were not even aware of Earth until Q sent the Enterprise to that side of the galaxy. It was only after that encounter they set a course for 001.

The outposts were a weird thing because afaik they didn’t have a concept for the Borg in season one.

OmegaFax

The Borg were not even aware of Earth until Q sent the Enterprise to that side of the galaxy. It was only after that encounter they set a course for 001.

The outposts were a weird thing because afaik they didn’t have a concept for the Borg in season one.

It was a causality loop. The Borg were already on their way to the Alpha Quadrant when the Enyerprise-D encountered them in Q Who.

Picard destroys the Borg Sphere in First Contact, the surviving Borg make use of 22nd century technology to send a message, 200 years later they probe colonies in the Neutral Zone, and Q intervenes and sends the Enterprise to encounter them.

The outposts were a weird thing because afaik they didn't have a concept for the Borg in season one.

I like how in enterprise they said it was 200 years before the borg would receive it, which would be right around the time in TNG that Q sent Enterprise to the borg,

I though that was clever.

Ah ok I need to get one

jb1234

It was a causality loop. The Borg were already on their way to the Alpha Quadrant when the Enyerprise-D encountered them in Q Who.

Picard destroys the Borg Sphere in First Contact, the surviving Borg make use of 22nd century technology to send a message, 200 years later they probe colonies in the Neutral Zone, and Q intervenes and sends the Enterprise to encounter them.

Add to that Seven of Nine's parents studying the Borg 20 years before Picard meets them. At this point, it's not really worth trying to piece together Borg continuity because the writers clearly didn't.

I thought the DISCO shirts were just a merch thing, but Michael is rocking one in that preview.

I wonder what the deal is with Lorca's eyes. Before I thought it might be something that was troublesome to correct, but now it sounds like he's just reluctant for some reason. Maybe he's punishing himself?

You know, he explains it himself in episode 5, you should watch it.

JettDash

She has no rank any more so it seems unlikely.

I know, but my guess is that they eventually find some way to give her a rank as a Starfleet officer again. I dunno how, maybe the current Captain has the power to do it meritoriously, given that it is a time of war. And then though a series of events I won't bother to guess, she becomes the Captain. Maybe not this season, but perhaps eventually.

DBT85

Is it too obvious a guess that Michael eventually becomes the Captain somehow?

I'm hoping eventually is at the very end of a good 4 or 5 seasons.

She's currently without rank and I'm not sure even if she saved the whole galaxy single handed she'd go straight to Commander again. Who knows.

Her as an Ensign getting in on all the big missions doesn't sound right though.

It's all a bit of a mystery and where the show will go. I'm not expecting this to ever really be like other Treks with a planet/villain/god of the week type format, whole episodes dedicated to a holodeck or following the kids as they grow gagh worms in class with disastrous consequences etc.

All I know is I'm loving the show. Feels stronger in its first 5 episodes than any previous Trek, for me at least. I know there are some out there who think it's shit and just want The Orville to get 7 seasons lol.

JettDash

I'm kinda torn whether I would want to be a Starfleet officer. I mean the adventure and purpose sound amazing. But at the same time, I'm pretty lazy and so maybe be I (and Starfleet) would better off with me staying on Earth and drinking like Chris Pine Kirk was planning on doing.

Effect

I hope not. I like Lorca as Captain. She should however, take Saru's place as First Officer. Saru annoys the hell out of me.

If Lorca is still on the show at the end of the season and in command I think this is the likely outcome. How Saru gets out of his position I don't know. I don't want him killed but I could see that happening, especially if Doug Jones is doing other things. I don't see Michael in command at the end of the season. I do think and hope she'll have her reputation restored and be back in a position of command to some degree. I need that to happen. I need her on her way to becoming a captain again when this season ends.

eizarus

Banned
If Lorca is still on the show at the end of the season and in command I think this is the likely outcome. How Saru gets out of his position I don't know. I don't want him killed but I could see that happening, especially if Doug Jones is doing other things. I don't see Michael in command at the end of the season. I do think and hope she'll have her reputation restored and be back in a position of command to some degree. I need that to happen. I need her on her way to becoming a captain again when this season ends.
I can see Saru stepping aside from Michael once she redeems herself (in his eyes), but yeah having her become captain by the end of season 1 would be rushing it. Is it a 10 episode season?

Morts

I can see Saru stepping aside from Michael once she redeems herself (in his eyes), but yeah having her become captain by the end of season 1 would be rushing it. Is it a 10 episode season?

15, with a two month break after episode 9.

Saru stepping aside seems to convenient to me, especially since they're set up as always having been rivals. I'd love to see hi m in charge with Burnham as XO.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces

Saru stepping aside seems to convenient to me, especially since they're set up as always having been rivals. I'd love to see hi m in charge with Burnham as XO.

[Threat ganglia intensifies]

AlStrong

Mirror Stamets kills Saru after his webhead senses tingle? :p

Is DISCO just sort for Discovery or am I missing something?

Ivysaur started with it to avoid having to use STD, for rather obvious reasons I'd say.

Also, I don't care about continuity with other shows, but I do sense this show's flaws when it skips vital exposition / introduction of elements:

The Mudd character was a fine alteration here (quite happy with that one), but after the skirmish on the ship, Lorca and the redshirt are suddenly in a fighter craft. And that's where you know you're missing something, because A) there is no canon for fighter craft of that kind, B) there is no in-show indication that these exist or even used (this type of craft should have been introduced in the pilot movie, but that didn't happen), so they're just suddenly there. Those should have been setup somewhere, imo.

nOoblet16

A streaming only show that has:

-Weekly releases
-Non american releases delayed by 7 hours
-Weird american practice of a winter break that's 2 month and artificially prolongs the season

Fuckin what !

berzeli

Banned
A streaming only show that has:
-Weekly releases
The Handmaid's Tale did this. As does most Hulu shows.
-Non american releases delayed by 7 hours
This also tends to be the case for many other shows.
-Weird american practice of a winter break that's 2 month and artificially prolongs the season
Which is down to production, the show only wrapped eight days ago
Fuckin what !
Literally none of this is weird.

derFeef

That episode felt like "let's do crazy TOS shit with costumes and all"
You can see it in the eyes of the actors that this is a bit... weird.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
By the way how are Saru's threat ganglia supposed to work? I would have understood them as means of expression whether Saru feels threatened by something (and this is totally fine), but Micheal used them to determine / validate that the creature is not dangerous. Since Saru is not a infallible as far as I have gathered so far, him just not being of the opinion something is a threat is an extremely weak argument. So is Micheal just being stupid about the ways she validates her hunches or do the writers actually want to say that Saru can reliably indicate using his ganglia that something he is not experienced with is objectively dangerous? Because that would be very shitty in a Star Trek series. The creature as a super computer to control the drive was already wild, but I would actually like Star Trek to be a bit more grounded than everyone a partial Q (and in turn making it even worse, because Q's abilities are at least sensible in regards to his overall understanding and control over reality).

By the way how are Saru's threat ganglia supposed to work? I would have understood them as means of expression whether Saru feels threatened by something (and this is totally fine), but Micheal used them to determine / validate that the creature is not dangerous. Since Saru is not a infallible as far as I have gathered so far, him just not being of the opinion something is a threat is an extremely weak argument. So is Micheal just being stupid about the ways she validates her hunches or do the writers actually want to say that Saru can reliably indicate using his ganglia that something he is not experienced with is objectively dangerous? Because that would be very shitty in a Star Trek series. The creature as a super computer to control the drive was already wild, but I would actually like Star Trek to be a bit more grounded than everyone a partial Q (and in turn making it even worse, because Q's abilities are at least sensible in regards to his overall understanding and control over reality).

I think you can see it as an gut feeling/subconcious feelings. Like how he interpreted the movement of the spaceships via his "instincts" as a non-predator. The assumption then being predator movements and other stuff being universal. It is just an tv show, but I don't think it needs to be ESP to be explained.

Top Bottom