• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: Discovery |OT| To Boldly Stream Where No One Has Streamed Before

Yarbskoo

My body is ready.

Vd5jhaq.png

Oh man, that starship collection. I can see more ships in that picture than in my entire collection.

U6ZoZRZ.png

Oh man, that starship collection. I can see more ships in that picture than in my entire collection.

U6ZoZRZ.png

It's a pretty good collection overall, but I was a bit late to it subscribing, I'm only about halfway through where it is currently. There's some awesome kitbash and concept ships coming up.

i read that Jason Isaacs is the captain of another starship separate from the one the main character serves on.

thats a shame I was hoping he would be the major captain of the show. getting excited for this now that its coming up so soon. its been too long, and I haven't really seen a Star Trek show since TNG either.

i read that Jason Isaacs is the captain of another starship separate from the one the main character serves on.

thats a shame I was hoping he would be the major captain of the show. getting excited for this now that its coming up so soon. its been too long, and I haven't really seen a Star Trek show since TNG either.

He is the Captain of Discovery. Long held belief is that we will jump to the ship in the trailer to discovery at some point in the show with Isaacs taking over. There are some beliefs he may not be captain of the discovery for long, but we will see.

CD93

Neo Member
He is the Captain of Discovery. Long held belief is that we will jump to the ship in the trailer to discovery at some point in the show with Isaacs taking over. There are some beliefs he may not be captain of the discovery for long, but we will see.

I honestly have no doubt in my mind that
Yeoh and the Shenzhou are gone by the end of Episode 2. Would like to be proven wrong, it would be nice to be invested in multiple ships, but there are multiple characters making the jump to the Discovery... let alone enough shots in the trailers of Yeoh's Bridge being blown apart.

Nice one. That must've been fun, from all the trailers etc it looks spectacular. Any insights you can share with us? Have you seen the finished episodes?

I'll say the show can stand on its own, even without the fancy vfx.

I think you'll all get a kick out of it.

Pluto

All Netflix originals are mandated to be 4K. And it’s very much an original due to the rights get negotiated for the show (and essentially paid for production on)
Netflix calls all shows that they air exclusively in a territory "Netflix Original" (Riverdale and Better Call Saul in germany for example) but that doesn't mean they are. Star Trek Discovery is not produced by or for Netflix, it's a CBS show.

Netflix calls all shows that they air exclusively in a territory "Netflix Original" (Riverdale and Better Call Saul in germany for example) but that doesn't mean they are. Star Trek Discovery is not produced by or for Netflix, it's a CBS show.

Netflix actually is a producing partner for this show. It's more than just a distribution deal.

berzeli

Banned
Wait so Netflix IS getting it??? Im so confused... how can they plan to have it on their own service at the same time!?!

Oh... not in US or Canada?
United States - CBS All Access (with the first episode airing on regular CBS)
Canada - Space or Crave TV
Rest of world - Netflix
Netflix actually is a producing partner for this show. It's more than just a distribution deal.
Nope. They are only distributors.

Brief message from ivysaur, a poster who used to post in TV-GAF a lot:

Yay!
But I will say I'm going to need a real Star Trek Disco now: "set phasers to party".

On a completely different, and serious, note: calling this show ST's entry into serial TV is disingenuous because DS9 (as a rival to Babylon 5) and even Enterprise already were serial shows at the time. It's just that the rest of television hadn't moved into it yet. But we already had serial sci-fi when the rest of the TV landscape was still doing sitcoms and stuff.

SRG01

United States - CBS All Access (with the first episode airing on regular CBS)
Canada - Space or Crave TV
Rest of world - Netflix

Nope. They are only distributors.

Wait, I thought Canada was getting it through Netflix?! What the damn hell is this?!

rjinaz

wikipedia says the second episode airs this Sunday too is that correct? If so I assume that means the first episode will be on CBS while the second will be All Access? I need to know when to start my free trial, this week or next week.

A great time for sci-fi on UK Netflix right now.

All the previous Star Treks, Star Trek Discovery, Generations, First Contract, Insurrection too. I think Beyond Darkness is there as well. Then you have Season 1 & 2 of The Expanse, Killjoys and... boy not enough hours in the day!

berzeli

Banned
Wait, I thought Canada was getting it through Netflix?! What the damn hell is this?!
Nope, Bell Media did the same deal as Netflix for Discovery+rest of the Trek shows for Canada.
wikipedia says the second episode airs this Sunday too is that correct? If so I assume that means the first episode will be on CBS while the second will be All Access? I need to know when to start my free trial, this week or next week.
Only the first episode airs on regular CBS.
The first two episodes will be available for streaming this Sunday.

AndersK

A great time for sci-fi on UK Netflix right now.

All the previous Star Treks, Star Trek Discovery, Generations, First Contract, Insurrection too. I think Beyond Darkness is there as well. Then you have Season 1 & 2 of The Expanse, Killjoys and... boy not enough hours in the day!

Yeah, I just started the expanse to tide me over until this has some eps.

What's up with SyFy? Since BSG I mostly recall them making absolute dumpster tier shows. And suddenly the Expanse not only looks convincing, but seems to be genuinely good. Did they start boosting their shows budgets or what?

Yeah, I just started the expanse to tide me over until this has some eps.

What's up with SyFy? Since BSG I mostly recall them making absolute dumpster tier shows. And suddenly the Expanse not only looks convincing, but seems to be genuinely good. Did they start boosting their shows budgets or what?

No idea, but they have a good lineup for hidden gems.

The Expanse
Z Nation
Van Helsing
Killjoys
Dark Matter
12 Monkies
Wyonna Erp
Blood Drive

And then some other ones about a town with humans who morph into animals my friend keeps telling me about and I totally keep forgetting the name of. I think it's on after Blood Drive or something.

SArcher

Banned

That's my understanding as well. Both will be available on All Access this Sunday.

I'm not really sure who is best served by the distribution structure.

Those who get the show a day early get it on less popular distribution channels, and the popular channel (Netflix) gets it a day late.

Seems like an invitation for mass piracy.

I'm not really sure who is best served by the distribution structure.

Those who get the show a day early get it on less popular distribution channels, and the popular channel (Netflix) gets it a day late.

Seems like an invitation for mass piracy.

The show comes out at like 7am the following day in the uk. Nobody is desperate enough to pirate a show that will be on less than a few hours after airing in the US.

Top Bottom