• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of War PC performance thread

Yes, but the video will come back for me after about 10 seconds. Seems to happen most often in the first 15 mins of playing. No video settings fix the issue.

What are you running? I’m on Win 10, 6800k, Titan XP, 32 GB RAM, latest drivers/updates everywhere. I’m running through a receiver, too.
I had that happen twice during my last session, and it came back after only ~5 seconds.

I'm running W10 Creators, 4690k @ 4.4GHz, GTX 1080 @ 2000MHz, 16GB 2400MHz RAM, installed on SSD.

Pilgore

Neo Member
What is the setting you are changing?

Doesn't matter, I should have made it clearer. ANY setting. If I change any setting I lose 30 frames. I suspect the game turns on Dynamic Resolution without telling as the image is much less sharp and more blurry before changing any setting in the graphics. Once I have, the image is sharp like it should be.

It seems like graphic settings aren't being applied at start-up and only kick once ANY setting is changed (turn DOF on or off, change res, etc).

So try changing a setting back and forth every time you restart to see the difference.

Jintor

I keep getting fucking hitching! It's incredibly frustrating. Framerate is smooth right up to every two minutes and I get like a microsecond of stutter. I have no idea what it could be... I think it's sound related. I'm using the Nvidia game ready drivers, comfortable amount of RAM... I'm gonna set my graphical settings down and see if that does anything...

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Just unlocked a shelob memory and the cutscene literally just cutout?

made a sort of cutting sound too, like a pop

twotonambush

Neo Member
I had that happen twice during my last session, and it came back after only ~5 seconds.

I'm running W10 Creators, 4690k @ 4.4GHz, GTX 1080 @ 2000MHz, 16GB 2400MHz RAM, installed on SSD.

I’m on an SSD, too.

You’re probably right, it’s more like 5 seconds. Happens even if I’m in the menus.

Are you running video through an AVR or straight to the display?

I should also say that, aside from this hitch, the game is running great at 4k with everything but shadows at ultra. HDR works fine as well with latest drivers and a toggle of the HDR switch in windows’ display settings.

That's by design. DLC can't be launched, so the "run" command is rerouted to the base game. The download should still initiate after a few moments, but if not:

steam://install/561950 (textures)
steam://install/666840 (cinematics)

Thanks JaseC, worked.

Been playing at 4k maxed out on my TV with HDR and Ultra textures and it runs at 60fps 99% of the time and looks great. I'm having a real good time with it. Can't wait to play more this weekend.

twotonambush

Neo Member
Thanks JaseC, worked.

Been playing at 4k maxed out on my TV with HDR and Ultra textures and it runs at 60fps 99% of the time and looks great. I'm having a real good time with it. Can't wait to play more this weekend.

Yes, thanks to JaseC for those links - I didn’t think they worked at first but then saw both DLC items in the DLC box on game’s library page.

twotonambush

Neo Member
Just realized I didn't upgrade my drivers to the Game Ready version, I feel like a fucking idiot.

Even the monkey falls from the tree, don't sweat it. I can't find the option to have GeForce Experience start up with Windows anymore, so I've missed out on some day-one drivers, too.

I’m on an SSD, too.

You’re probably right, it’s more like 5 seconds. Happens even if I’m in the menus.

Are you running video through an AVR or straight to the display?

I should also say that, aside from this hitch, the game is running great at 4k with everything but shadows at ultra. HDR works fine as well with latest drivers and a toggle of the HDR switch in windows’ display settings.
I'm running straight to a GSYNC monitor via DisplayPort. I'm running at 1440p with everything maxed except shadows (on high).

mazillion

Even the monkey falls from the tree, don't sweat it. I can't find the option to have GeForce Experience start up with Windows anymore, so I've missed out on some day-one drivers, too.

All you need to do is put a shortcut of the exe in the startup folder

C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

If you can't see AppData then you need to enable "Show hidden files and folder" from the control panel. You can search for it there or find "file explorer options" under "appearance and personalization"

Then just click the view tab and find it in the list of advanced settings.

twotonambush

Neo Member
I'm running straight to a GSYNC monitor via DisplayPort. I'm running at 1440p with everything maxed except shadows (on high).

Anything overclocked in your rig? I think I have my core clock up just a bit on gpu but will have to check.

I’ll be playing more this weekend, will let you know if I find a fix.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yes, thanks to JaseC for those links - I didn't think they worked at first but then saw both DLC items in the DLC box on game's library page.

Apparently, the general issue of free DLC download links on the store launching the base game but failing to register the DLC has been fixed as part of the latest beta client update:

Steam Client Beta said:
General
- Fixed an issue preventing some free DLC from launching properly

Needless to say, though, not everybody is running the beta and some who opt in may encounter issues, so I'll throw the install links in the OP and wait for the above change to be to be included in an update to the stable client before removing them.

Edit: And done.

JaseC

JaseC

Might want to update the RTSS OSD fix to also mention it's been resolved with the Beta30 version of RTSS. Might want to keep the current fix for those who do not want to install beta versions though I've seen people say it doesn't always work.

Hmm, considering the issue isn't quite resolved but the workaround is super simple and does the trick, I think I'll just leave it as-is for now, until the developers have ironed out the remaining wrinkles.

twotonambush

Neo Member
All you need to do is put a shortcut of the exe in the startup folder

C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

If you can't see AppData then you need to enable "Show hidden files and folder" from the control panel. You can search for it there or find "file explorer options" under "appearance and personalization"

Then just click the view tab and find it in the list of advanced settings.

Hey, thanks for this tip!

twotonambush

Neo Member
Apparently, the general issue of free DLC download links on the store launching the base game but failing to register the DLC has been fixed as part of the latest beta client update:

In any event, thanks for all of your help in these PC threads and to GAF in general. Best resource for getting new PC games to run at their best (or at all).

twotonambush

Neo Member
Anyone getting black screens occasionally? Screen goes black for a second then pops back on, almost like it's trying to change resolution.

Does music/sound keep playing? If so, that's exactly my issue, which I think is a bit different than what Codeacious' problem is. They seem like they're related to me, though, as I think my AVR just drops to black if the freeze occurs.

Does music/sound keep playing? If so, that's exactly my issue, which I think is a bit different than what Codeacious' problem is. They seem like they're related to me, though, as I think my AVR just drops to black if the freeze occurs.

Mine drops the sound because my avr doesn't detect a signal for a second.

Hmm, considering the issue isn't quite resolved but the workaround is super simple and does the trick, I think I'll just leave it as-is for now, until the developers have ironed out the remaining wrinkles.

I mean the developer of RTSS bought a copy of the game specifically to find out why it wasn't working and implemented a fix into the next beta release but if that isn't "quite" fixed enough for ya, it's your thread, do what you want.

JaseC

In any event, thanks for all of your help in these PC threads and to GAF in general. Best resource for getting new PC games to run at their best (or at all).

<3

I mean the developer of RTSS bought a copy of the game specifically to find out why it wasn't working and implemented a fix into the next beta release but if that isn't "quite" fixed enough for ya, it's your thread, do what you want.

Oh, sorry, I misread your post. I thought you said to leave the workaround up because there are some reports of the issue occurring even with the updated version.

<3

Oh, sorry, I misread your post. I thought you said to leave the workaround up because there are some reports of the issue occurring even with the updated version.

No problem, I was just confused. I can see with they way I worded it (and my missing comma) it could be interpreted the wrong way though so no worries.

Rewind

I keep getting fucking hitching! It's incredibly frustrating. Framerate is smooth right up to every two minutes and I get like a microsecond of stutter. I have no idea what it could be... I think it's sound related. I'm using the Nvidia game ready drivers, comfortable amount of RAM... I'm gonna set my graphical settings down and see if that does anything...

Are you running full screen also what CPU do you have?

Bossniak

Happened to me too on an 1080ti, i7 4790k,16GB ram
Tried full screen, borderless. I do have a gsync monitor so maybe it's gsync,didn't bother turning it off and trying again

Just had a hard crash ("Shadow of War has stopped working") during the end of a fort assault.

Ugh. The PC version is just really unstable for me.

bchan555

Doesn't matter, I should have made it clearer. ANY setting. If I change any setting I lose 30 frames. I suspect the game turns on Dynamic Resolution without telling as the image is much less sharp and more blurry before changing any setting in the graphics. Once I have, the image is sharp like it should be.

It seems like graphic settings aren't being applied at start-up and only kick once ANY setting is changed (turn DOF on or off, change res, etc).

So try changing a setting back and forth every time you restart to see the difference.

The game isn't saving your graphics setting changes? Is it a permissions problem? If you've installed it in a non-standard location does that location require special write access? Maybe the game can't save ini settings. Even if that's the case, I don't know why the game would lose 30 frames.

Rewind

Tried full screen, borderless. I do have a gsync monitor so maybe it's gsync,didn't bother turning it off and trying again

I have Gsync also but it's fine for me. I'm only in the first fort area though so maybe it will happen later idk it's been buttery smooth for me. I have a 1080 and a 6800k no OC. I have vsync on from the nvidia control panel and have the frame limiter off in the game so maybe that's it?

JaseC

No problem, I was just confused. I can see with they way I worded it (and my missing comma) it could be interpreted the wrong way though so no worries.

Nah, your post is fine. My brain just threw in "as" between "though" and "I've", so I thought "it" was referring to the OSD in the latest beta.

b0uncyfr0

Do we have any guides on which settings cost the most FPS? Trying to get 1440p/60 locked but at Ultra on my 1070 ( AA, DOF, Blur, Large page OFF ) - it drops to the low 50's occasionally.

R9 290, i7 7700, 16GB RAM, Win10 x64

Solid performance with fps in the mid 50s-60 on High preset then turned down anti aliasing to FXAA only.

1080p
Fullscreen
Vsync 60
Dynamic res off
Max fps 60

Bench
Emq2qDB.png

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Feedback on GTX970?
I'm on mobile atm and it's a nightmare to search

I have a 970 and an i5-6600k oced to 4.4, I overclock the GPU with afterburner too

Averaging about high 60s into 70s, 4k cutscenes play at 141, game is smooth as butter but that could be gsync too

kuYuri

3440 x 1440
i7-4790K @ stock
GTX 1080 Ti stock
16GB RAM

Benchmark results are between 98-103fps. Ran very smooth throughout the entire run of the bench. I wonder if normal gameplay is also in that neighborhood.

J_Viper

Do we have any guides on which settings cost the most FPS? Trying to get 1440p/60 locked but at Ultra on my 1070 ( AA, DOF, Blur, Large page OFF ) - it drops to the low 50's occasionally.
I've got a 1070 too.

I was having issues with drops to 50s as well, but once I let the GeForce Experience set the graphics, it went away

I still get bad drops if I run through the swamp area, but aside from that I'm staying north of 60, even in combat

Jintor

Are you running full screen also what CPU do you have?

Full screen. CPU is... 4 core 3.2ghz i5-4460

just glad I'm not alone. i'll try borderless next and then start monkeying with the nvidia settings

it's not dehilibating exactly since i'm like 15 hrs in or more at this point but it's still pretty noticeable

twotonambush

Neo Member
That’s awesome! Thanks. I hated the millions of icons all over the screen in the first one

It’s just great to have the options there...I played HUD-less for about 45 mins and found it to be enjoyable. Will probably play that way all the time once I fully learn the game.

But I don’t think there are opacity options, which I wish were always available.

Also have the same problem, it's really annoying

Cyanity

Banned
I've got a 1070 too.

I was having issues with drops to 50s as well, but once I let the GeForce Experience set the graphics, it went away

I still get bad drops if I run through the swamp area, but aside from that I'm staying north of 60, even in combat

What's your cpu?

Top Bottom