• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Found injured puppy in backyard.

jadedm17

Edit : If you want to help : https://www.gofundme.com/rescue-dog-surgery-expenses

Remember me? Life keeps happening apparently.

My roommate woke me up just before 8 AM EST to inform me a medium-sized black shepherd mix had found its way into my backyard. Quickly I was informed she was very injured with a small cut on her right, a large one on her left, and one underneath so bad that part of her was hanging out.

https://imgur.com/a/1MQDb

Horrible picture but getting help was priority one; Funding an expensive surgery has become priority two.

https://imgur.com/a/ehid8

I took her to an emergency vet around the corner where she is bandaged and relaxing.

Everyone at the place has been super helpful, but a huge downside has been that everywhere from the animal shelter down the road to one a town over being closed on monday, along with the local college's animal center. Pet rescue won't help because she doesn't have an owner (?) and the other emergency center will put her down : She's still got her puppy teeth, estimated 7 months old.

$1500 I don't have later she's gonna have surgery later today. The part hanging out looks to be fat but the doctor said until he operates he doesnt know; If its part intestine anything hanging out needs to be removed and fixed.

Wish her and me luck, today got expensive quick. @_@

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Good job in helping an animal in need. I am glad that we didn't see a case of Old Yeller.

I hope the dog makes it and can find a home.

MastAndo

Gold Member
You're doing a good thing OP and deserve to be commended for it. Hopefully it all works out in the end and she finds health and a home.

WaterAstro

Wow, if you just left it to the vet, they would have put it down so fast.

You might want to put up some sort of crowdfunding. Animal shelters, that aren't assholes and have a no-kill policy, usually do this when they need it.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Its not your dog so u should not have to pay the bill, should of left the dog at the vets door , rung the doorbell and walked away.

jadedm17

She's doing great, resting overnight.
No intestines and they did it quicker than thought; Of my 1000 deposit they owe me money back. All around great news.

She's doing great, resting overnight.
No intestines and they did it quicker than thought; Of my 1000 deposit they owe me money back. All around great news.

This is the best news I've read in many weeks. That dog is extremely fortunate to have found you. Have you thought about adopting her? If so, you will have the most loving friend you can imagine.

Seirith

Awesome job! You get the awesome person award for helping the dog out!

I would put up some posters in the area, make a post on Craigslist and contact your local shelters. Someone may own her and she got loose and got hurt by another dog or a person. The owner should pay you the medical costs or they do not get their dog back.

We found an injured cat many years ago, the owners contacted us and we told them their cat was going to die, we paid to save it and they needed to pay us for the vet costs. They did with no issue.

jadedm17

This is the best news I've read in many weeks. That dog is extremely fortunate to have found you. Have you thought about adopting her? If so, you will have the most loving friend you can imagine.

I'm absolutely ready for that - and I'm picking her up tomorrow - but have a few hurdles, namely money (shots, meds, food, toys, etc.) and my cat (who loves people but hasnt gotten along with any animals).

It's also still possible she has an owner : My neighbor saw a medium black dog playing in my yard a few days ago, uninjured and with a leash. She assumed it was my dog. I'll take care of her and go from there.

That's a nice thing to do, I mean you clearly made this thread for the props, so props!

Mostly to share my story : GAF has been a huge part of my life for the last five years or so, and has provided a lot of light in some dark times.

WaterAstro

Hope the cat likes her. They are very territorial.

If you know how to introduce new pets to cats, you should do that. Look it up on youtube if you don't. Requires a lot of separation and scent sharing before you put them face to face.

jadedm17

Some have expressed wanting to help so I made a gofundme; Nothing is required but anything is appreciated.

https://imgur.com/a/7VwFJ

https://www.gofundme.com/rescue-dog-surgery-expenses

If you know how to introduce new pets to cats, you should do that. Look it up on youtube if you don't. Requires a lot of separation and scent sharing before you put them face to face.

That will be a big focus of the next few days. Thanks.

Zoe

Especially since animals don't like the stink of the vet.

You did an awesome thing that most people wouldn't bother themselves with. That Dog is lucky to have ended up on your deck, and I was happy to help out with the gofundme.

Keep us updated on how she does!

jadedm17

[KoRp]Jazzman;253071379 said:
You did an awesome thing that most people wouldn't bother themselves with. That Dog is lucky to have ended up on your deck, and I was happy to help out with the gofundme.

Keep us updated on how she does!

Thank you.

She's got a crate now and is incredibly sweet, never whining while I'm around. The cone she's not enjoying - hitting most things as she moves - but is tolerating. Already she wants to play, and gets along with my mom's poodle great : My mom is stopping over while I work nights so she's never more than a few hours alone.

I'll introduce my cat fully in a few days; He's a territorial daddy's boy.

No home has been found so it looks like she's mine; That's find, even my mom says I can't get rid of her, she's an amazing dog.

My roommate who wanted to put her down is now protective saying I can't give her back anyways. She seems trained - sit, laydown, tentative to get on couch - but the questions of how she got hurt, how an owner would let her, and if they could afford to pay me arise. The money isn't even about paying me, but if they can't afford it then what would they have done if she showed up there like this? If you can't afford surgery then you can't afford to keep right... Right?

Cone is another day or two, meds a week, stiches off December 5th.

jadedm17

Bump for exposure

Thanks immensely; I was prepared for $1515 so the help from my local animal hospital to this outreach of support is very appreciated.

https://imgur.com/a/jiMJI

https://imgur.com/a/RuwrQ

https://imgur.com/a/TpG0n

She's happy, much healthier, and is getting along decent with the cat*.
*Mostly, the cat gets annoyed a lot because she's much bigger and throws her size around, but the cat isn't afraid to stand his ground and do what he needs.

I also forgot to mention I work at a steakhouse and she eats better than me : Over the last 3 days she's had a 13 oz ribeye, 6 oz sirloin and 6 oz filet, among other things.

dbztrk

Thanks immensely; I was prepared for $1515 so the help from my local animal hospital to this outreach of support is very appreciated.

https://imgur.com/a/jiMJI

https://imgur.com/a/RuwrQ

https://imgur.com/a/TpG0n

She's happy, much healthier, and is getting along decent with the cat*.
*Mostly, the cat gets annoyed a lot because she's much bigger and throws her size around, but the cat isn't afraid to stand his ground and do what he needs.

I also forgot to mention I work at a steakhouse and she eats better than me : Over the last 3 days she's had a 13 oz ribeye, 6 oz sirloin and 6 oz filet, among other things.

If I show up hurt in your backyard, you gone feed me too?

LazyGuysStudio

Neo Member
HUGE respect to the OP!! I'm all about dogs and when I started reading this I felt it's unfair something like this happened to a dog. I'm happy she's doing great and wish you both all the best in the world!

jadedm17

If I show up hurt in your backyard, you gone feed me too?

How cute are you?
My type of woman is broken, emotionally unavailable and never been taken care of by a real man, if that helps any; I'd love to meet someone actually worth my effort.

There's a tiny rat-like pup yipping around my neighborhood I've been trying to catch too; I won't be keeping him/her if I catch him/her. lol
HUGE respect to the OP!! I'm all about dogs and when I started reading this I felt it's unfair something like this happened to a dog. I'm happy she's doing great and wish you both all the best in the world!

Tonight's dinner was prime rib and sirloin, so I think she's doing well. Tomorrow dog park fun.
I'm also lucky to have my loving retired mother down the road (who is also baby-sitting our families other dogs while they're in NY) to stop by and take her out, play with her during longer days : She's never more than 4 or 5 hours alone thanks to that.
Next step is some real training : She's got tricks and a great personality, but I'd love that real shepherd obedience in YouTube videos. She's almost there.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I admire what you're doing for the dog and I hope you get enough donations... But sorry, I won't be contributing. Last time I donated to someone on GAF with a long sad tale, and a pile of proof, the money ended up being used for drugs.

Godspeed.

WaterAstro

I admire what you're doing for the dog and I hope you get enough donations... But sorry, I won't be contributing. Last time I donated to someone on GAF with a long sad tale, and a pile of proof, the money ended up being used dor drugs.

Godspeed.

Unfortunately, that stuff is going to happen, but this thread, OP has picture proof of the puppers.

I think we can trust this donation if anyone is willing.

I admire what you're doing for the dog and I hope you get enough donations... But sorry, I won't be contributing. Last time I donated to someone on GAF with a long sad tale, and a pile of proof, the money ended up being used dor drugs.

Godspeed.

What happened?l

You don’t need to donate to OP, there are trustworthy charities that helps dogs.

Check out charitynavigator

jadedm17

Unfortunately, that stuff is going to happen, but this thread, OP has picture proof of the puppers.

I think we can trust this donation if anyone is willing.

Jinfash, I sweep my house twice a day, I can send a pile of dog hair if you need proof. lol

Honestly its just a small pile to the massive credit debt I've spent years working paying off (and I've come close to the end); The gofundme was setup when my local FB Lost Pet page had a few offering to help, as well as family.

I'll be fine, I mostly just wanted to share my story with GAF.

Top Bottom