• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Fall Update for Xbox One starting to roll out today

Is this still rolling out slowly?

I have all the surveys asking me what i think about the new updates but see no signs of anything since 10/13.

for example, the survey asked what i thought about the sounds when navigating the menus but all i hear is the old boop boop boop shit.

RedToad64

Still no overscan options? That’s just sad. Everything has overscan settings, even the Steam Link, PSTV, etc. I don’t understand why this has never been implemented.

watership

Still no overscan options? That’s just sad. Everything has overscan settings, even the Steam Link, PSTV, etc. I don’t understand why this has never been implemented.

Not sure why modern 1080p HDMI connections need overscan. Unless I'm missing something.

Giolon

The new UI is finally a pretty good UI for the Xbone, but I still get atrocious performance issues on my system. Choosing My Colors in Preferences causes a spinning wheel to appear for 30 seconds or so then the pop up just disappears and nothing happens. Launching simple apps lie blu-ray player or movies can take over 30 seconds. Hitting the guide button can cause the entire system to hang for 10-15 seconds.

Why can’t MS still get decent OS performance out of their console?

Flagship

The new UI is finally a pretty good UI for the Xbone, but I still get atrocious performance issues on my system. Choosing My Colors in Preferences causes a spinning wheel to appear for 30 seconds or so then the pop up just disappears and nothing happens. Launching simple apps lie blu-ray player or movies can take over 30 seconds. Hitting the guide button can cause the entire system to hang for 10-15 seconds.

Whoah that's insane! I'm have a 1tb (matt) xbox one and it's been extraordinarily fast. Have you tried power off hold? Maybe that will clear cache or rebuild database or something along that line...

big_z

something is wrong with your console. it's pretty instantaneous on mine. loading up apps like the store or achievements still takes a couple seconds but basic navigation is fast.

That really sounds like your console's got an issue, I've had the new OS since it launched for preview members and haven't had anything that severe.

Have to say I'm really liking it now. It had some annoying bugs at first, like pins disappearing, but now it's pretty solid for me performance-wise and the new layout's definitely become my favourite out of all the X1 dashboards so far.

Snoopycat

Banned
I like the new dash more than the old one. It's faster and much less cluttered. Pinning friends on the front page is really useful too.

JP

We have two accounts on the console, one of which signs in automatically, how do we gain access the second account on the console?

ElNino

We have two accounts on the console, one of which signs in automatically, how do we gain access the second account on the console?
From what I recall my kids doing, you open guide and go all the way to the left where your gamer picture is and you can switch profiles there.

JP

From what I recall my kids doing, you open guide and go all the way to the left where your gamer picture is and you can switch profiles there.
Thanks for that, I've done it now.

Strangely, it seems that the once you select the Dark or Light theme it changes across both profiles. Not a major issue but I was hoping to have the profiles use different themes to avoid confusion.

Not sure if it was still on the previous dashboard but can't you watch Major Nelson's show anymore? There was a time where it would be displayed on Xbox Home on the console but I don't see it there. I heard the latest episode has some cool info on the new dashboard, I'd like to check it.

I've been apart of the update since it was in preview and it has been leaps and bounds better than previous iterations. I was giving up hope that going to the store or anything other than front page will always be God awful slow but so far everything has been extremely snappy

Head.spawn

This is probably the buggiest update I've ever seen them push live.

It didn't feel ready three weeks ago, two weeks ago or today. Still running into bugs I reported like a month ago. :/

Don't get me wrong, the meat of it is excellent. I just have some nitpicks.

Poona

Since this update I can't access the store anymore.

It says an update is needed for the store and so I go into my games and apps to check for updates and see there is an update for the store and so choose to install it but it constantly stops the installation at 98%.

I've looked around on google and so forth to see if anyone has any other similar issues but they're about games not installing, and talking about stuff like removing discs or disconnecting from the internet but I can't really do that when what I'm doing is an app that I'm simply downloading.

Night.Ninja

Banned

It says an update is needed for the store and so I go into my games and apps to check for updates and see there is an update for the store and so choose to install it but it constantly stops the installation at 98%.

I've looked around on google and so forth to see if anyone has any other similar issues but they're about games not installing, and talking about stuff like removing discs or disconnecting from the internet but I can't really do that when what I'm doing is an app that I'm simply downloading.

Have you tried a hard reboot >

Poona

Have you tried a hard reboot >

Is that just opening the guide and choosing restart? Done that a few times, as well as tried turning off the console by pressing the power button on the front, also tried unplugging it from power and waiting 2 minutes. I still cannot get the store to update. It still fails at 98% so I can't enter the store to purchase items.

Just a bummer when I click on the Cuphead promo on the home section telling me to get the game, and also try and see what the various deals are and it tells me I can't access it as I need to update the store.

If I'm truly stuck it's not all that bad though as I only have the console for a little while longer until I trade it in for the X.

Jumeira

Banned

Something is up with your console. I have 2 xboxs located in 2 different places and the speed is the same, very fast.

sign out and back in and try again

Poona

sign out and back in and try again

That didn't work either.

In the end I just reset the console and told it to remove all games and apps as that's what I'll be doing in a few weeks anyway when I trade the console in for the X. After resetting everything the store now works (even without getting the store update, although I downloaded that as well after to see if the store was any different).

yyr

I got the update today. It felt faster from moment one. But...

The "Xbox Select" voice command no longer seems to be recognized. This sucks a lot, as we use that command almost every day. It's one of the most functional voice commands; it allows you to select just about any element on the screen and even works in other apps! (Is it broken for everyone else too?)

I went to Xbox's chat support and the agent was clueless. They were asking me to try basic troubleshooting steps like restarting the console and recalibrating Kinect audio. What's worse, all of their documentation was based on the old version of the OS so it was all out of date. Obviously they weren't given any of the new info.

I decided to switch to (dirt-slow) Cortana voice commands to see what happens. It turns out that "Hey Cortana, select" still works...at least, in Xbox Home. But when I went to the Crunchyroll app and tried it there, Cortana told me that voice commands don't work there. Why not? They always worked before.

The media and navigation features are THE reason I use my Xbox One every day. If they've now decided to gut these, I don't know what I can do. It's not like I can go back to the old version, and there's no similar alternative, right? At least, not one that also works with live TV, yes?

watdaeff4

Anybody else not getting notifications for achievements or messages?

Yes, I checked to make sure I have it turned on in the settings.

MrBenchmark

So tonight’s newest alpha update has these fixes

Blu-Ray Player
Miscellaneous fixes for Blu-Ray HDR playback.

• Display & sound
Resolved an issue which sometimes prevented the TV from switching to HDR mode when playing 4K UHD HDR content.

I’m not in the program anymore so of course I can’t check to see if this fixes the issues I posted about but this hasn’t been openly Acknowledged by them yet there it is in the alpha update.

Giolon

Thanks to everyone who gave me the suggestion to clear my Xbox's cache. I did it, and surprisingly all of the performance stuff I talked about cleared up!

PeterGAF

Banned
Anybody else not getting notifications for achievements or messages?

Yes, I checked to make sure I have it turned on in the settings.
I get this issue every now and then. Not sure if it’s directly related to the new update. But a hard reset will solve your issue.

JoeLT

I honestly wonder if they even read the bug reports users file. When recording a video, anytime a notification pops up on screen the blacks are crushed, as well as anytime spent in the guide in the video blacks are crushed. Same if you take a screenshot as a notification pops up. There’s definitely some strange stuff going on with the colour space settings for the OS and for games.

Edit: Switching the settings to PC RGB seems to fix the black crush in videos/screenshots when the system overlay is on screen. Odd.

Edit2: Another thing to note is in the previous public build when viewing screenshots there was black crush as they seem to be saved as Full RGB. Whereas in the new update dark screenshots display properly regardless of which colour setting you have. So they fixed one thing while breaking another, great.

To Google dns. 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4.

This is actually better than the DNS my isp gave me?

Thing is, sometimes I want to watch Crunchyroll's USA content and then I have to use a different DNS which definitely makes it all slower. But hey when you want to watch One Piece and others, you gotta :)

Screenshots used to be 2-3MB, after the update they are lsited as 4K screenshots on my Xbox One S and are about 11MB.

Anybody else notice this? Can I force it back to 1080p screenshots?

Theorry

This is actually better than the DNS my isp gave me?

Thing is, sometimes I want to watch Crunchyroll's USA content and then I have to use a different DNS which definitely makes it all slower. But hey when you want to watch One Piece and others, you gotta :)

99% of the time Google DNS is a better option then your provider dns.

Night.Ninja

Banned
Is that just opening the guide and choosing restart? Done that a few times, as well as tried turning off the console by pressing the power button on the front, also tried unplugging it from power and waiting 2 minutes. I still cannot get the store to update. It still fails at 98% so I can't enter the store to purchase items.

Just a bummer when I click on the Cuphead promo on the home section telling me to get the game, and also try and see what the various deals are and it tells me I can't access it as I need to update the store.

If I'm truly stuck it's not all that bad though as I only have the console for a little while longer until I trade it in for the X.

Press the power button on the console and it will restart

So tonight’s newest alpha update has these fixes

Blu-Ray Player
Miscellaneous fixes for Blu-Ray HDR playback.

• Display & sound
Resolved an issue which sometimes prevented the TV from switching to HDR mode when playing 4K UHD HDR content.

I’m not in the program anymore so of course I can’t check to see if this fixes the issues I posted about but this hasn’t been openly Acknowledged by them yet there it is in the alpha update.

This sounds promising. Also, I posted on AVSForums about this issue. They seem to have a whole giant thread about using the XB1S as a 4k player so im trying to keep the fires lit on the issue itself!

tezzer

Neo Member
I just updated my Xbox One S, and it can now recognise HDR, as it couldn’t before.

Note, I’m not sure if the update I did today was a beta update or if MS has officially released the updated, I use to be in the Xbox program, but hardly turn my Xbox on unless it’s to watch a 4K Blu-Ray, so not sure.

But the HDR issue has been fixed for me, and I couldn’t get HDR and now it’s back to normal after the update.

MrBenchmark

Scratch that rebooted system player must have updated black level looks just like my Samsung player now!

so make sure and reboot then try it again. hope it stays fixed.

Is anyone else’s 4K settings not sticking on S since this new dash? Keeps telling me I don’t have hdr anymore so I have to switch the input then back to auto on the Xbox to have it come back.

Top Bottom