• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Star wars Battlefront 2 Pro vs 1X vs PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
People claiming there's any meaningful differences between these versions are insane.

There are non trivial differences, it is not insanity, but is also not BEAST BEAST BEAST as if we here high school/college jocks at a keg party... technology evolves a lot over a year and with a higher budget I can pack more advanced silicon. Xbox One X is a good piece of HW, MS needs to be praised because they do more for BC than Sony with Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One improved BC (the latter comes quite likely thanks to their choice to stick with a virtualised HW environment with Xbox One which at launch are quite a bit in their extra CPU clock advantage).
Still, it is not a magic piece of box punching wildly far above its weight compared to the competition... yes, the one year later and higher cost bit... what is next People start mocking the N64’s performance compared to the Xbox One S?

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Spencer said framerate is king, so I guess he is pretty impressed by the PRO's output here...

All in all, on a 4k TV, the XBONEX is a bit sharper, but not by much. In as much as DF says XBONEX reaches 2160p, they refusee to says it's average resolution. By the looks of it, XBONEX does not look 2160p in most of these scenes, it always looks lower than that, especially when compared to the PC...It even looks lower than 1800p in one particular scene in the forest.

In any case, this is looking like another case of an average resolution of 1440p on PRO vs an average of 1800p on the XBONEX. I find DF is reaching with the extra detail talk though, most of the zoomed in detail is not so much better settings on XBONEX, but the higher resolution showing the same detail a bit clearer.

AF, shadows et al look a bit crisper because of a slighly sharper picture on XBONEX...yet, the XBOX version does have some lod issues, I think the PRO's performance is better here, just as it is on FF15 on the PRO. I'm talking framerate metrics of course.

he says it tops 1440p not averages 1440p he also says most of the time the X hits near or 2160p or have you watch a different video

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
So, we have about 2-3 PS4 owners for every Xbox One owner and you wonder why there are more Sony fans... really?

Try to read my reply next time?

I’m saying the reason it can feel more toxic for some now compared to earlier is because there’s more Xbox players on NeoGAF than before. During this generation NeoGAF has been SonyGAF, and now that more are cheering about Xbox then people suddenly feel it’s toxic.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

I’m saying the reason it can feel more toxic for some now compared to earlier is because there’s more Xbox players on NeoGAF than before. During this generation NeoGAF has been SonyGAF, and now that more are cheering about Xbox then people suddenly feel it’s toxic.

No, it is more toxic. It is not because less Xbox fans have been banned unfairly IMHO, it was not Sony GAF but well moderated GAF.

Console forums, astroturfers aside (which are always nice parts of console launches), tend to have some sort of reflection on the console market in general in the biggest gaming countries (last generation a lot of U.S. posters could not accept that the rest of the world had English speakers that wanted to post here too and were from countries where PS3 dominated). Early this generation a lot of people were rightfully banned because, like their PS3 early period brothers and sisters, could not cope well with expectations being wildly different from reality. When dissing the competition after years of not having a leg to stand on (happened to the Sony fans before too) and filling threads of “OMG BEAST BEAST, feel sorry for the Sony fans (looooooosers”) quality comments and not seeing the ban hammer fall then yeah the level of discussion is toxic compared to the quality of comments GAF was accustomed to (why do you think so many people flocked to it, many developers, people in the gaming and movies businesses, etc... all Sony fans? Please...).

Fbh

So... im not home right now and can't watch the video but is it an improvement over the Beta on Ps4 Pro?

I remember it looking a bit blurry despite being 1080p or more

solis74

My thoughts exactly. I can't even believe that just because it drops 1fps SOMETIMES that its being used as console war fuel.

Edit: timberger comment above right on time 😂

Played the demo all day today on my X, it has to be the best looking game I’ve played to date, got to give EA props in that regard.

Sonygaf is really having a tough time lately with X1X taking the crown in all DF face offs and they no longer live under a protected shield here now with unbias mods

This %100. No Sony obsessed mods, all new members gets a green light to join so that will even out the field and eventually take over. Not gonna lie, it's embarrassing to watch them struggle with DF articles and their insecurities since the tables have turned for good till the new X2 drops...why look so stupid and downplay a marvelous tech xbox team put together which crushes competition by a landslide..you and I knows this X is a most powerful console on the market.

MS says when the next gen starts, Deal with it.

sunofsam

There are non trivial differences, it is not insanity, but is also not BEAST BEAST BEAST as if we here high school/college jocks at a keg party... technology evolves a lot over a year and with a higher budget I can pack more advanced silicon. Xbox One X is a good piece of HW, MS needs to be praised because they do more for BC than Sony with Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One improved BC (the latter comes quite likely thanks to their choice to stick with a virtualised HW environment with Xbox One which at launch are quite a bit in their extra CPU clock advantage).
Still, it is not a magic piece of box punching wildly far above its weight compared to the competition... yes, the one year later and higher cost bit... what is next People start mocking the N64’s performance compared to the Xbox One S?

Yup, like people mocking the Xbox S vs the Pro. Seems silly right. So let's all stop the mocking now! People paid good money for their Pros only a year ago and it's not fair!!

Leave Brittney alone!!!

thelastword

Banned
Yeah, PC is the premium experience for this game. Not only is it the best looking game out there, I'd say, it easily clears the console versions, as well (as it should).

Delicious? Indeed. :p
Yeah, I expressed that in my first post in the thread too. I think PC is the real step up here in terms of a 4k native image, better filtering, better lod, higher quality geometry. It's not often you see such differences under the microscope, but it's there....The XBONEX does look a tad sharper over PS4 PRO in some scenes, but it is very slight at best on the 4k screen I'm watching this.

I know it's tough man, it'll be ok.
Dude, nothing is tough. You have a couple of posters who mention my name in every thread for the wrong reasons, but I do expect better hardware to have the upper hand every single time......That has always been my view and it never changed. What you fail to notice is that the PS4 always had the visual + performance edge over the XBOX ONE....Sometimes we were talking 720p to 1080 with better framerate (as-well) on the PS4. In many cases this is not happening on XBONEX, so I don't know if there is some bandwidth issues in their hardware, but the differences are certainly not as pronounced as PS4 to XBOX ONE in that regard...

First off, are you watching this on a 4k screen as I am? I assure you, I did not watch it on my 1080p phone or my 1440p PC monitor, so I watched it in the way you will see it best.

I mean, forget about all this fanboy nonsense for a minute, I know some of you guys want to gloat, being under the pipe for four years now, but lets have a better discussion than this driveby and hitman like posts. Nobody is angry that XBONEX exists, no one is losing sleep. I figure some of you guys wanted somebody to have a meltdown, but XBONEX came out a year later with a higher clocked GPU and more memory at $100.00 more, anybody sane knew it would have higher resolutions and framerate, but looking at this, it's certainly not the difference MS claimed. It even has worse framerate and tearing in some titles because MS is trying to push the rez mantra too hard This is not a 4k title on XBONEX, forza 7 is, Gears is......so lets get that straight.

For further proof...check this...such a massive difference between consoles? really? I mean, this is nothing close to the differences we had in GTAV and Tomb RaIder DE. Look at this video on a 4k screen or any screen for that matter and tell me this is generational or massive leap according to some.

Pics courtesy of Chromatic and GNEVERD from reset.....

g3a5FSa.jpg

HOXL8Ta.jpg

zWwYQmv.jpg

CalIG0j.png

Zk4uoO3.png

The differences you see between the consoles are due to resolution, not better filtering or textures. dont forget this game uses dynamic rez, but pretty much all these shots show images that are very close. So if you look at PC's image and believe XBONEX is close to 2160p at all times, then you're really not look ing at this objectively. I will say again, XBONEX looks to average around 1800p, that's where it spends most of it's time, it's not 2160p in most or any of these screens here.

EFKbzGm.png

Check the geometry quality between consoles against PC.
BjEiUzK.png

Check the lod issues XBONEX has, seems to be an issue in more than one title so far, maybe some bandwidth issue.
Bgq1ljd.png

Did you feel sorry for yourself and all the other xbone owners for the three years up until now?

Anyways its amusing how all of a sudden now 1440p is a trash resolution to the X1 owners when for almost the entire gen they were fine with 900p or lower on their xbone.
It's crazy too, because rez never mattered to lots of the xbox fans before, they could not tell a difference, when it was more distinguishing on top of better framerates with PS4 versions for 4 years. Now we get games that look close enough on a 4k screen because of the higher pixel count in general, some games with even worse framerate+tearing and some are calling this a generational leap even. This hyperbole and false marketing is what got MS in trouble the first time, people are even calling this a 4k game, when it's clearly not.

he says it tops 1440p not averages 1440p he also says most of the time the X hits near or 2160p or have you watch a different video
If you don't believe me that's fine, if you don't want to watch the videos and see for yourself that's fine. It is plain as day that this does not run at 2160p most of the time on XBONEX. This is no knock on XBONEX, it's the reality. In many cases devs are trying to push rez too hard on XBONEX and framerate suffers. Perhaps it should be 1620p on XBONEX to maintain a smoother framerate....but I'm sure other outlets will pick this up, this is not 2160p most of the time. I'm pretty sure rez goes below 1800p at times too, though not common at all.

As for the average comment. I said the PS4 PRO averages 1440p and the XBONEX 1800p. Do you think the PRO averages 1296p or the lowest rez that they found, that's not how that works.....

mad597

Banned
Yes, I don't know if Naughty Dog set the trend. I still remember in the leaked papers where SONY stipulated they'd rather not have 1440p as a recommended resolution for PRO and they listed some resolutions that would scale better to 4k....However, since ND gave us a simple 1440p patch of UC4 (as good as it looks), I've seen so many devs just stick that to PRO owners as a 4k rez mode...

If these guys can push 1440p, it means they can push 2160CB or 1800CB at worst if they desire. The pro hardware takes care of this and it should be the same of even less pull on the hardware with 1800CB and about on par with 2160CB. That would mean a much crisper image at about the same performance. AKA much better IQ. Why is this not happening..

Even at Pro's launch, there were games with normal 1800p or higher, 4k native and some checkerboard games. Guerilla gave us the CB poster image in HZD, Poliphony gave us 1800CB, Watchdogs 2 looks very crisp as well and so is FF15 at that same rez, but it seems that many have just followed Naughty's implementation of 1440p. I still remember, many including myself were disappointed when Respawn only gave us 1440p on titanfall2, when you had awesome pro implementations like Blops3, Infinte Warfare, Modern Warfare etc.. with their 2160 CB. Then Prey patched up to 1440p, Fallout, Hitman, Dreamfall, Homefront, Hellblade, Firewatch, Here they lie, KOF14, Injustice 2, Mafia 3, Project Cars 2....Hell, even FF12 is 1440p and so many more. Sony has to light a fire under these devs asses. All of these games should be 2160CB and FF12 should be 4k native tbh.....

So many of these pro patches have just not been optimum, the hardware can defintely push more pixels through CB...... PS4 was designed for CB, use it for crying out loud.....

Shocking, thelastword writing books talking up naughty dog in a DF thread where X1X bests PSPRO in BF2, DOES Sony pay you by the word?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
They should legit release a xbox one x BEAST edition.
That ROARS when you turn it on.

mad597

Banned

In other words Sony fans are having issues dealing with a more even playing field. Mods don't ban Xbox gamers on first sight like they did here for years.

Cloud_9

Neo Member
Looks like alot of Xbox fans are acting just as ignorant as the SonyGaf they hate so much here. If you were ok with Xbox being weaker for the last 4 years, why is the ps4pro suddenly unacceptable now? Pretty hypocritical in my opinion. It looks like you guys don't really want am even playing field, you want Xbox biased.

Goalus

This %100. No Sony obsessed mods, all new members gets a green light to join so that will even out the field and eventually take over. Not gonna lie, it's embarrassing to watch them struggle with DF articles and their insecurities since the tables have turned for good till the new X2 drops...why look so stupid and downplay a marvelous tech xbox team put together which crushes competition by a landslide..you and I knows this X is a most powerful console on the market.

Spot on!
The next two years will be tough for the Sony Defense Force.

Cloud_9

Neo Member

Yo, is this crapgamer?

sunofsam

Looks like alot of Xbox fans are acting just as ignorant as the SonyGaf they hate so much here. If you were ok with Xbox being weaker for the last 4 years, why is the ps4pro suddenly unacceptable now? Pretty hypocritical in my opinion. It looks like you guys don't really want am even playing field, you want Xbox biased.
Yes, very hypocritical. About 40% more than usual.

jobrro

SonyGAF is fucking reeling right now.

Not really seeing that in this thread yet it keeps getting stated.

The Xbox is the superior console hardware wise. It was launched for $100 more and a year later. It's a premium console even relative to the Pro a year ago. The rough specs for Scorpio were known 6 months before the Pro launched, why would Pro owners be salty?

I hope you fanboys on either side are getting paid by MS or Sony because I don't see any reason to cry "salt" from either side. Both consoles are as expected. The Pro is approximately the best $399 2016 console possible. The X is approximately the best $499 2017 console possible.

I have a Pro and no strong desire to get the X anytime soon (sort of want the UHD drive someday which is missing from my current PS4P and OG Xbone), yet I still like seeing these DF videos. The X wins and will win every console showdown for the rest of the gen. Cool. That's expected, but doesn't make the videos uninteresting to me. It's interesting how far developers can go leveraging the extra memory bandwidth, capacity and raw power of the GPU. I also like seeing the difference between Switch games in docked and undocked mode, not to mention how it compared to the other consoles on the market where applicable.

Each console is essentially performing how it should which makes these videos interesting.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yup, like people mocking the Xbox S vs the Pro. Seems silly right. So let's all stop the mocking now! People paid good money for their Pros only a year ago and it's not fair!!

Leave Brittney alone!!!

Thank you Louis, short, but pointless. Seriously though, aside from the movie reference, you can mock all you want, but then it is not a Sony conspiracy if the ban hammer were to drop when the discussion is not there and only fanboys throwing feces are.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
You're just proving my point even more. Get over your damn selves with this whole neckbeard revenge against the mean old PlayStation.

Kind of ironic when tons of thread seem beer keg jockeys filled of BeASt BeaSt poor Sony fans feel sorry for you guys!!!! Lollllliol

;)

gaming_noob

The LOD issues are just during the first few seconds when each new multi game is loading on the X. DF says no problem after that.

Cloud_9

Neo Member
i.e. you? Which account did you post under before?
I agree this place has become a lot worse though.

I was referring to all of the idiots posting about the "anti xbox" mods being gone. The shipping is crazy now. I don't see how you associated me with that.

jobrro

wow. sony defense force is strong with this one.. seriously. so much time put into this post.. for.. what exactly? kinda sad.

Given your avatar I don't think anything could sway you from the opinion of 'sony lol'.

Honestly a major problem with DF on high res videos is YouTube. IIRC they have a Patreon with access to high bitrate videos, but YouTube alone most likely does not do justice to the difference between games on Pro/X/PC. That's part of the reason the do the zoom in, between poor YouTube encoding/bandwidth and people watching on phones (where even Switch looks about the same as Xbone X). The difference between Pro and X is probably significant live, but on YouTube maybe it doesn't appear a lot.

Still wish devs would take advantage of CB rather than doing a simple res bump on Pro.

For further proof...check this...such a massive difference between consoles? really? I mean, this is nothing close to the differences we had in GTAV and Tomb RaIder DE. Look at this video on a 4k screen or any screen for that matter and tell me this is generational or massive leap according to some.

Why are you using screen grabbed youtube compressed images to try to prove your point instead of using the direct feed screens that DF themselves provide in their article??

Detail looks a lot better to me on my 4K screen...

And I leave with a quote from the same DF article
However, for console users with 4K displays, the new Microsoft console delivers a significantly improved presentation overall compared to its Sony counterpart, and the gulf in clarity and pixel counts is just as surprising as it was with Wolfenstein 2.

Leyasu

Banned
Sonygaf is really having a tough time lately with X1X taking the crown in all DF face offs and they no longer live under a protected shield here now with unbias mods

Yep. The mods were a massive piece in the sonygaf jigsaw. It's a shame that they weren't reined in long ago. Anyone else remember the cboat debacle? It's unfortunate that it was misterxmedia that dug that all up, because he undermined its credibility. Then, a couple of weeks after it quietened down, cboat publicly commits seppuku in a bet with a dev. How convenient.

Just like modbot, i would put money on cboat being an account that was shared by a few mods..

Considering the X is $100 and a year late, i think the jaguar cpu inside it, is making its results look less impressive than OG ps4 vs xb1.

Lol what ever you say dude

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Fanboys are always hypocritical, regardless of what side they're on. It's like a law or something.

Yes.

I am a PC gaymer.

You're also grossly overplaying the 'added input lag' that results from dropping 1-2fps... This isn't like frametimes going from 16ms to 33ms.

It results in some stuttering, but not much more. This is also a 60fps console game... input lag is GREAT compared to what they are used to.

Morbid

Banned
You're also grossly overplaying the 'added input lag' that results from dropping 1-2fps... This isn't like frametimes going from 16ms to 33ms.

It results in some stuttering, but not much more. This is also a 60fps console game... input lag is GREAT compared to what they are used to.

Just glad I don't have to deal with any of that shit on my big rig.

1440p 100fps+ baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom