• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In the world of DLC and micro transactions... does Nintendo handle it the best?

Shifty

No, Amiibos are their own issue.

Nintendo are definitely up there when it comes to delivering quality total packages though. Mario Odyssey is the most content-rich complete games I've witnessed in years.

Funny how Bethesda is one of the better ones now, when it could be argued they started this whole thing with the ridiculous horse armor. Now look where we are. Damn you Bethesda. :)

Yeah I noticed that paradox I have explanation that Bethesda is still doing what they were doing last generation and other companies got much worse.

Steven Universe

Neo Member
Even if it is mostly just cosmetic, it is still literally locked on-disc DLC which requires the purchase of a plastic toy to access.

Dress it up all you like but that's not something to be applauded IMO.

they are bad, i hate them when i need to buy to unlock features like making the game harder or unlocking more challenges.

I’m not an Amiibo chaser either, but they really aren’t hurting anything. Wasn’t that harder difficulty in Metroid a rumor, or misinformation, that was debunked? Isn’t hard mode still in the game? Besides one game it seems like the rest are costumes or “little cheats” to make the game easier for you. I honestly don’t see how someone can think Amiibo are some unholy thing when looking at the current landscape of Mkcrotransactions and DLC. Amiibo unlocks are only bonuses that seem pretty useless. Small incentives for your toys you buy.

Plus I’ve been thinking about buying the way cheaper Amiibo card packs on eBay/Etsy/whatnot. There are always options out there if you can’t find an Amiibo you want. I’d mostly get them as collectible cards if I ever decided to get into them.

Amiibo unlocks aren’t DLC and Nintendo never advertises them as such!

Remeard

From my understanding you can buy an Amiibo for Mario that automatically restores you to full health with unlimited use.

That's not really the dlc that I'd want around.

nkarafo

Nintendo is just lagging behind the "times" as they always do. Like they did with optical media and Internet connectivity. They will reach this stage eventually.

radewagon

The difference being Amiibo are almost always frivolous add ons versus being really needed content, people who obsess about having every little thing are the only ones who will have an issue here, and they need help in other ways.

I think the whole Battlefront II pay-to-win fiasco is really changing the narrative of what's considered legitimate DLC. DLC has always had items with a hefty level of frivolity to them. DLC that is purely cosmetic does not get a free pass as somehow not being DLC simply because it does not change the mechanics of play. One need only to look at the number of fighting game skins to recognize that frivolous DLC is not only a perfectly valid form of digital content but is also incredibly popular.

Lately, it seems like Overwatch is getting a magical free pass on its exploitative gambling-esque loot box system simply because gameplay is not altered with the prizes. Those skins are DLC. Highly coveted, and yet totally frivolous, DLC.

Amiibos offer mostly frivolous digital add-ons, but they offer them in an exclusive fashion that make them a very difficult kind of DLC to forgive due to the known trouble that Nintendo has with certain Amiibo stock.

So, yeah. Amiibos are DLC. They often times offer content that can not be earned in the actual game. And even frivolous DLC should not be locked behind a product that is difficult for many to acquire due to stocking issues.

Extra Addition (via Edit)
I think many of us are also disregarding that experiences of play, even when mechanics remain unchanged, can be altered with purely cosmetic changes because of the way those cosmetic changes affect our personal experience of a game's scenario. For example, Fat Drake. Yes, I know he's not DLC. But playing uncharted with Fat Drake, though it does not change any mechanics, it can completely change the experience. A lot of frivolous DLC is like that. Without affecting game mechanics, they manage to affect our enjoyment. It's totally a thing.

shauntu

From my understanding you can buy an Amiibo for Mario that automatically restores you to full health with unlimited use.

Or enable 'Assist' Mode from the pause menu, and double your health and make it regenerate automatically.

Zog

Banned

While I am no fan of selling cheat codes as DLC (and I won't buy them) I don't have any problem with the existence of cheat codes for single player games. If someone tells me that they used an Action Replay to get 120 Shines in Super Mario Sunshine, I am not going to be bothered by it even though I got 120 Shines without cheats.

ironmang

You know that you can sell amiibo, unlike DLC...
It's just that supply is limited a lot of the time (scalpers), and the figurines take up a lot of space.

After paying for shipping and fees it's just not worth selling. Plus like you said they take up space and not everybody wants to clutter their place with ugly toys.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Ya gotta be kidding? Nintendo is probably trying innovate a new way to rip people off better than EA because they would get away with it.
Give them time and loot crates will be physical plastic toys for 12.99 that open up a single item in game.
And everyone will go mad on them, because "Nintendo"
No, Amiibos are their own issue.

Nintendo are definitely up there when it comes to delivering quality total packages though. Mario Odyssey is the most content-rich complete games I've witnessed in years.
Isn't that TW3,regardless of the quality of MO we would have to be ignoring everything to give Nintendo a pat on the back to say that.
Seriously Nintendo fans are like Apple fans.

Unfortunately no. Amiibo was poorly done and has made some content impossible to get. The only saving grace is the games I’ve bought only benefit from cosmetic bonuses. Maybe in the future I might get other link tunics for botw. No loot boxes or microtransaction to my knowledge so they’re not the worse at the moment at least.

They’re as good as Fromsoft and Witcher 3 when it comes to actual larger dlc content however. Hopefully zelda dlc 2 delivers.

Nintendo are weird, some games have mass ammounts of free dlc, while games like Mario Golf World Tour had half of its game gated as first week paid DLC

Big0Bear

I just think Nintendo is selling things I don’t need. Both zelda and Xeno have nothing in their passes that I want so I’m happy

Dunki

For me the question would rather be. Are they handle it "good" because they do not want to do it or are they handle it could because they do not understand it? Besides games Nintendo is pretty much known for not understanding the Industry or living in the past. Be it internet, friend codes or probably in this case also DLC.

Also their Amibos are much worse at this rate. Just ask yourself how much did you spend for Amibos and ho much did you spend for DLC?

R00bot

ITT: people claiming that figures that barely ever add anything additional to gameplay, work in multiple games, are reasonably priced for their quality, and are actual physical items are worse than DLC that augments gameplay/are pay to win.

Amiibo aren't even DLC.

Zog

Banned
ITT: people claiming that figures that barely ever add anything additional to gameplay, work in multiple games, are reasonably priced for their quality, and are actual physical items are worse than DLC that augments gameplay/are pay to win.

Amiibo aren't even DLC.

Buying Amiibos is the same as buying on disc DLC.

matt360

Who buys Amiibos for in-game bonuses? People buy them because they look cool and they are nice collectibles. The fact that they help you out a little along the way is just icing on the cake. I've never had a situation in any Nintendo game thus far where my experience was impaired by not having an Amiibo.

Nintendo is doing things the right way.

Zog

Banned
Who buys Amiibos for in-game bonuses? People buy them because they look cool and they are nice collectibles. The fact that they help you out a little along the way is just icing on the cake. I've never had a situation in any Nintendo game thus far where my experience was impaired by not having an Amiibo.

Nintendo is doing things the right way.

Are you saying that no one buys Amiibos for the on disc DLC?

matt360

Are you saying that no one buys Amiibos for the on disc DLC?

Obviously some people do, but don't the vast majority of people buy them first and foremost as collectibles? I don't personally know a single person who has every consciously purchased a specific Amiibo to unlock a specific bonus in a game. I know those people exist, but I imagine they are the minority.

Zog

Banned
Obviously some people do, but don't the vast majority of people buy them first and foremost as collectibles? I don't personally know a single person who has every consciously purchased a specific Amiibo to unlock a specific bonus in a game. I know those people exist, but I imagine they are the minority.

Well, I imagine that the people who buy them only as collectibles are in the minority. Interestingly, every retail store I have seen them in shelves them in the video game section of the store and not in the toy section (or any other section).

If there were some stats on this I would be interested in looking at them.

Exempting the Champions amiibo, the normal amiibo give armor that are all equivalent to each other (and to the in-game Wild armor), both in effects/stats and how you upgrade them (star fragment heavy). In effect, they are cosmetic.

What they add to a game tends to be on the minor side, but that in and of itself doesn't justify the fact that content, cosmetic or not, is locked behind Amiibo with no other way to access it.

Without delving too deep, a quick search of "Amiibo" on Amazon has them priced between £9.99 and £69.99 for single figurines. That's the paywall range to unlocking specific clothes/items in BotW. If any other company was charging £69.99 for an in game cosmetic they'd be raked over the coals for it (and rightly so).

Where opinions on this differ, and what I think is a fair point to the discussion is whether you feel Amiibo-gated content in games is a "bonus" to owning Amiibo, or if you feel (like I do) that Amiibo-gated content are effectively on disc DLC.

Personally, I'd be completely okay with Amiibo if the content could be unlocked through other means, be it as in game unlockables or charged for it through the eShop.

Top Bottom