• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Miyamoto interview: FZero and the origin of Link

Fabrik

Banned
Added to OP:
- Not a confirmation or anything but here's what he answered to the question: what do you see for the Metroid franchise on Wii U: something like Metroid Prime, Metroid Other M or a third way?
Since Wii U is a HD console with more hardware power, what we can naturally think about is a beautiful HD action game (Huge smile, meaning he won't say more).

ASIS

Something that you left out in that F-zero comment. Before asking the question on the OP. Miyamoto asks "Why F-zero?"

This suggests that he believes other series have much more potential to flourish than F-zero. Its something that might seem minor, but its worth considering nonetheless.

With that said, I disagree, F-Zero would really flourish on modern hardware. Maybe not conceptually, but definitely mechanically.

On the one hand, I'm fine with F-Zero GX as the last word on the series' core gameplay. On the other hand, I still desperately want more tracks, custom tracks, online, and additional game modes (playing on the variety of race scenarios present in "Story Mode").

So I guess what I'm saying is that if Nintendo does an HD remake of F-Zero GX with the above features, then Miyamoto is right, and I really won't ask for a sequel. Of course, I wouldn't want to play GX with anything other than a Gamecube pad...

Fabrik

Banned
Something that you left out in that F-zero comment. Before asking the question on the OP. Miyamoto asks "Why F-zero?"

This suggests that he believes other series have much more potential to flourish than F-zero. Its something that might seem minor, but its worth considering nonetheless.

With that said, I disagree, F-Zero would really flourish on modern hardware. Maybe not conceptually, but definitely mechanically.

Yes and he's curious about the answers, like if he was asking for feedback...

F-Zero UX would be so easy (conceptually) to make. 30 player online races. return of DEATH RACE, track editor using Gamepad screen (with online file sharing), SSX-style currency metagame for upgrading machines and buying into online events...all that in glorious 60FPS HD.

SUCCESS

MisterHero

I'm interesting in a future F-Zero telling a story about its universe. An intergalactic racing federation where the richest people from each planet make bets and wage wars on the racing circuits.

Think Speed Racer, except it's more insane!

Phazon

Added to OP:
- Not a confirmation or anything but here's what he answered to the question: what do you see for the Metroid franchise on Wii U: something like Metroid Prime, Metroid Other M or a third way?
Since Wii U is a HD console with more hardware power, what we can naturally think about is a beautiful HD action game (Huge smile, meaning he won't say more).

bring it on :D

I really wonder what direction they are going to take.

Kurtofan

I'd imagine it's Japanese being translated into French into English and the purple monkey dishwashers that arise from that.

Or, if he really did mean that, maybe he just correctly thinks F-Zero GX is the perfect game.

Gamekult:Après un rapide sondage sur Twitter, l’un des jeux qui manque le plus aux joueurs français, c’est F-Zero. Personne ne comprend vraiment pourquoi Nintendo n’en a plus produit depuis 2004. Y a-t-il une chance que l’on revoie la série sur Wii U ?

Miyamoto:(Grands yeux étonnés) Ca me fait extrêmement plaisir d’entendre l’opinion de Twitter, parce que depuis le premier épisode sur Super Nintendo, il y a eu plusieurs opus, mais je trouve que la série n’a pas beaucoup évolué. Je me disais que les gens devaient au contraire s’en être lassés. Du coup, j’ai envie de dire : merci beaucoup et essayez de patienter en jouant au mini-jeu F-Zero de Nintendo Land. Je suis aussi très curieux et j’aimerais demander à ces gens : pourquoi F-Zero ? Qu’est-ce qui vous manque que l’on n’ait pas encore fait ?

My translation:

Gamekult: after a quick survey on twitter, one of the game French gamers miss the most is F Zero.Nobody really understands why Nintendo hasn't made a new one since 2004.Is there a chance we can see it back on Wii U?

Miyamoto: :eyes open wide: I am really pleased to hear Twitter's opinion, because since the first episode on SNES many games have been made but the series has little evolved.
I thought people had grown weary of it.

I'd like to say:Thank you very much and try to wait by playing NintendoLand's Fzero minigame.
I am also very curious and I'd like to ask those people:Why FZero?What do you want that we haven't done before?

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
How about a new F-Zero with a single player story mode that has you adventuring in a futuristic cyber-world (like the one in GX) doing various missions that involve solving crimes and fighting punks, but have it all tied up by racing in a way that is seamless and makes the racing relevant to the story?

Kind of like how we were supposed to be emotionally invested in the podracing of episode 1 because winning the race was crucial to the story?

The game could also benefit from some RPG elements like upgrading weapons and vehicle parts, and meeting bizarre and cool alien npcs on the way.

There would also be a multiplayer mode that revolves solely around racing and is online, and a "free play" mode where you just race against AI and edit tracks and vehicles..

Kind of like a Nintendo version of the original Speed Racer cartoon...
(I haven't played Rage, but maybe that's also a similar template?)

G.O.O.

I want a new F-zero really badly, but I can't imagine it being as good as GX... and if it's to make something like the GBA games, they can keep it :/

F-Zero's maximum potential has already been reached. The game was called Wipeout HD.
nchij_e8_p5.gif

Anth0ny

- About FZero, he's surprised players want more of this series. The franchise hasn't evolved a lot for him and people should have grown tired of it. He's asking gamers: what is missing that hasn't been already done?

1080p, 60fps, 32 player online.

This is one of the worst Miyamoto quotes ever :(

ASIS

Not to be down on you guys even more... but it also says in the article that Miyamoto kindly asks the fans kindly to "try to wait while playing the Mini F-zero mini game from NintendoLand" :p

At least that's what I think it means, my french isn't very good.

Salt to the injury :p.

Not to be down on you guys even more... but it also says in the article that Miyamoto kindly asks the fans kindly to "try to wait while playing the Mini F-zero mini game from NintendoLand" :p

Try to wait?

Wait?!

SO MAYBE IT'S BEING CONSIDERED.

YEAAAAAAHHH

not : (

Phazon

Du coup, j’ai envie de dire : merci beaucoup et essayez de patienter en jouant au mini-jeu F-Zero de Nintendo Land.

yeah he really says that 'we need to have some patience and meanwhile we can play the minigame F-Zero in NintendoLand'

My translation: Gamekult: after a quick survey on twitter, one of the game French gamers miss the most is F Zero.Nobody really understands why Nintendo hasn't made a new one since 2004.Is there a chance we can see it back on Wii U?

Miyamoto: :eyes open wide: I am really pleased to hear Twitter's opinion, because since the first episode on SNES many games have been made but the series has little evolved.
I thought people had grown weary of it.

I'd like to say:Thank you very much and try to wait by playing NintendoLand's Fzero minigame.
I am also very curious and I'd like to ask those people:Why FZero?What do you want that we haven't done before?

Hmm...well, this translation makes it sound less like an outright dismissal and more like the kind of question a reasonable producer would ask before even thinking about doing a new game.

Anyway, I'm not sure what sort of futuristic racer would sell nowadays. Probably something very different from F-Zero :(

ASIS

Boy, few quotes rub me the wrong way quite like that F-Zero one.

For what its worth, He sounds surprised by the demand. He thought people didn't want F-Zero. But it also looks like he's taking things into consideration now, hopefully that will rectify his mistake, after all he's only human.

gogogow

The fact that Nintendo puts a F-Zero minigame in Nintendoland means they still care about the IP.

Ridley327

For what its worth, He sounds surprised by the demand. He thought people didn't want F-Zero. But it also looks like he's taking things into consideration now, hopefully that will rectify his mistake, after all he's only human.

I'm surprised that he's surprised; I mean, there's been franchises that have sold way worse like Kid Icarus that wind up getting the AAA treatment from Nintendo years down the line.

ASTROID2

If people talk about the F-Zero Nintendo Land game enough (On MiiVerse maybe) maybe they will make a new one.

Edit: Give it to Retro.

radcliff

My translation:

Can we put this in the OP? The original translation almost makes it sound as if Miyamoto is disappointed people like F Zero while the more accurate translation makes it apparent Miyamoto is just surprised F Zero won their survey over other IPs.

NeonZ

I'm surprised that he's surprised; I mean, there's been franchises that have sold way worse like Kid Icarus that wind up getting the AAA treatment from Nintendo years down the line.

I guess the main issue was GX not selling as well as they expected and then the later GBA games being complete bombs. It sold well up until the N64, but they've had at best relative failures since then.

Of course, one could easily say that GX didn't need that astronomical budget with all those songs and animations that had nothing to do with the races or even the main story.

MisterHero

Devil's advocate, but when has F-ZERO sold 20+ million?
There's also the problem with modern games requiring more people per team. Back then the SNES/N64 F-Zero teams could work on other games as well.

Where's your F-Zero? Where's my Waverace and full-size Pilotwings? Huh? HUH?

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Ok, after my fanboy post about a captain falcon action adventure, here's a serious idea.

How about virtually endless customization, to the point where there emerges a kind of sandbox meta-game about finding new combinations of parts and creative, crazy designs that push the meaning of an F-zero "racer" to its limit?
All the while discovering bizarre designs that can achieve greater and greater speed, acceleration, etc.

Anybody play the game Kerbal Space Program?

Imagine a mode where you design the craziest tracks you can imagine and upload them online, challenging others to design racers that can beat your track in a certain time, and then they can upload their victory laps to the network and so on, creating a sort of "cat and mouse" dynamic between racers and track designers.

It would be like the early days of aviation where everyone was trying to get a piece of the pie, with glorious and ridiculous designs abound. Or the space race era, or the race to break the sound barrier.

This would basically distill F-Zero down to its very essence.

Ridley327

I guess the main issue was GX not selling as well as they expected and then the later GBA games being complete bombs. It sold well up until the N64, but they've had at best relative failures since then.

Of course, one could easily say that GX didn't need that astronomical budget with all those songs and animations that had nothing to do with the races or even the main story.

I don't want to live in a world where The Skull doesn't have a blatant rip-off of the theme song from Dawn of the Dead.

- HD graphics
- Online mode
- New tracks

really, that's all you need to add after that many years :)

There are plenty of things they could do. I'm just not sure if the series should lose focus on the central aspect of racing. It does revolve around a bounty hunter placed in a pretty rich world of characters.

Sophia

F-Zero. On the 3DS. With Online Play. Improved Death Race mode included. That would just be a dream come true for me and I can't even see the 3D effects! :S

Boogybro

There's also the problem with modern games requiring more people per team. Back then the SNES/N64 F-Zero teams could work on other games as well.

Where's your F-Zero? Where's my Waverace and full-size Pilotwings? Huh? HUH?

As much as I want both, I'd swap any of Nintendo's racing games for a new Wave Race. Without a second thought being put into it.

Top Bottom