• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canada, U.K. pressures Boeing, Trump over Bombardier-Delta Air Lines order

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
I actually think that now with Airbus backing, C Series orders are going to increase dramatically. The plane was reported by SWISS and Baltic Air to be even more fuel efficient than the advertised 20% improvement over previous generation airliners. That almost never happens. I'm guessing other air carriers were waiting to see how this all played out.

catmincer

That was a fucking stupid move by Boeing and a masterstroke by Airbus. They should have just waited for bombardier to give up on the program.

jstripes

Banned
As much as I'm not a fan of Bombardier at this point (streetcars)... the project now being majority foreign-owned is a bit of a let down.

Nortel, ATI, BlackBerry...

Pedrito

I don't get what happens with Quebec governement's stake, It gets diluted from 49% to 19% and they don't get anything in return? Surely that can't be right, especially with an election a year away. Opposition parties won't shut up about that.

As much as I'm not a fan of Bombardier at this point (streetcars)... the project now being majority foreign-owned is a bit of a let down.

Nortel, ATI, BlackBerry...

Canada sucks at tech business.

Apathy

the fact boeing doesn't even make the fucking planes they are complaining about makes this even fucking more petty.

Jebusman

Banned
I don't get what happens with Quebec governement's stake, It gets diluted from 49% to 19% and they don't get anything in return? Surely that can't be right, especially with an election a year away. Opposition parties won't shut up about that.

Canada sucks at tech business.

We're great at starting businesses. It's just the whole "actually keeping them relevant" part that always sort of falls apart near the end.

there is not much to understand about Quebec but it is an interventionist Province and will most of the time intervene in situations like Bombardier, Videotron and other Qc Inc corporations.

that said. Trump is a dick

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Bombardier stock up as much as 26% today due to the deal. Boeing is down. You played yourself, Boeing...

Cheerilee

Can someone explain to an idiot how this gets around the issue?

Picture for a moment, that General Motors used to make station wagons (those boxy old cars that lost their marketshare to sport utility vehicles), and then GM stopped making them.

Then a number of years later, a fictional Canadian auto maker decided to revive the station wagon concept by making an entirely new design (they're not old clunkers anymore, they're some cutting-edge full-electric modern Tesla hotness, and they have more storage capacity than cars, but less than SUV's). Demand reappeared. Canuck Auto now has dozens of preorders waiting for them in America.

GM bitches up a storm, and complains that Canuck Auto was deemed "too nationally-important to fail" and given support money by the Canadian government. GM wants Canuck Auto banned from America (GM doesn't even want to revive the station wagon themselves, they're just being dicks). GM is a massive hypocrite because they too were famously deemed "too big to fail", but GM doesn't care. The American trade board is not concerned with GM's status as a hypocrite, just whether or not it's true that Canuck Auto got money from the Canadians. All the rest of the world can do is pull the same trick and close their borders to GM in response, and that's fine by GM (even though the Canadian government was literally negotiating to buy a bunch of cars from GM, since they were the cheapest option).

So Canuck Auto essentially sold their new station wagon design to Ford. It's a Ford station wagon now, made in partnership with Canuck Auto. Get fucked GM (by which I mean, get fucked Boeing).

4Tran

By 2023, Airbus can buy out or shut down the entire project, yes.

Also, those saying that Bombardier is making no money here, that's not true. Their stocks just went up 20%. It'll continue flying for a little while.
Bombardier stands to win by quite a bit. The C-Series plane is an attractive product; one that there are potentially lots of buyers for. What's keeping them on the fence is that they're uncertain about long-term support. With Airbus as the majority owner, those fears go away and you can expect the plane to find a lot more buyers. Boeing has given their competition a big boost and they only have their own greed to blame. It's beautiful.

darscot

Picture for a moment, that General Motors used to make station wagons (those boxy old cars that lost their marketshare to sport utility vehicles), and then GM stopped making them.

Then a number of years later, a fictional Canadian auto maker decided to revive the station wagon concept by making an entirely new design (they're not old clunkers anymore, they're some cutting-edge full-electric modern Tesla hotness, and they have more storage capacity than cars, but less than SUV's). Demand reappeared. Canuck Auto now has dozens of preorders waiting for them in America.

GM bitches up a storm, and complains that Canuck Auto was deemed "too nationally-important to fail" and given support money by the Canadian government. GM wants Canuck Auto banned from America (GM doesn't even want to revive the station wagon themselves, they're just being dicks). GM is a massive hypocrite because they too were famously deemed "too big to fail", but GM doesn't care. The American trade board is not concerned with GM's status as a hypocrite, just whether or not it's true that Canuck Auto got money from the Canadians. All the rest of the world can do is pull the same trick and close their borders to GM in response, and that's fine by GM (even though the Canadian government was literally negotiating to buy a bunch of cars from GM, since they were the cheapest option).

So Canuck Auto essentially sold their new station wagon design to Ford. It's a Ford station wagon now, made in partnership with Canuck Auto. Get fucked GM (by which I mean, get fucked Boeing).

Except they sold it to VW not Ford.

Top Bottom