• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGaf Creative Writing Challenge #223 - "Objects in Space"

mu cephei

Theme - "Objects in Space"

Could be a story set in space! or, focus on the three-dimensionality of what is happening in your story. Or anything else you like (Firefly fanfic...)

Word Limit: 1000

Submission Deadline: Friday 27th October by 11:59 PM Pacific.

Voting Deadline: Monday 30th October at 11:59 PM Pacific.

Very Optional Secondary Objective: The Other

Have a character, or a POV, that is somehow Other. Different, excluded, etc. Here's the wiki link .(I totally pinched this from one of the previous challenges. But it was 2011).

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

Important side note: A lot of our regulars like to write out short critiques/comments for the stories, but you can always opt out by simply adding a note like "I'd prefer no critiques" in the post where you submit your story. We're an understanding group and respect that not everyone wants comments on their work. Above all, we just want to read your story.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ
Previous Challenge Threads and Themes

Alucard

Banned
Nice! I'm so good with this word count. Looking forward to getting in on this one just to see what a 1000-word story looks like.

Anyone have free online suggestions for stories this length?

Alucard

Banned
Thanks, Freeza! I'll check some of the links out later.

I started writing a bit this morning. No clue where it's going but I like the sound of it so far!

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Congrats Mu! Thanks for doing something that'll force me to write concisely (and do something sci-fi! I've been meaning to take another crack at it)

Also Alucard, here's a link to a flash fiction site called flash fiction magazine. They post a new story every day. I tend to read a few of them with my morning coffee. If you search far back enough, you might find something I wrote there too :p

Alucard

Banned
Flowers, nice! Did you get put into one of the books too?

Might shoot for this mag to get some publication credits under my belt. Need to be a better writer first, though.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Flowers, nice! Did you get put into one of the books too?

Might shoot for this mag to get some publication credits under my belt. Need to be a better writer first, though.

Not in the books. Just on the site. It actually was an old challenge story taboot.

Plum

Feeling good about this one. For the first time I've come up with an idea I love whilst, inadvertently, sticking with the secondary objective as well. Gonna see if I can get a first draft done tonight so I can refine it throughout the week ahead.

Bt0PHsk

Top Bottom