• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

I love Marvel Legendary and have never played it competitively. We just add up our points at the end for fun to see who "won" or not at all.

I think Marvel Legendary is more approachable and has more replayability than the Encounter games but the Encounter games are a tighter gameplay experience overall. You really do need at least the first expansion of Marvel, though. That's when it really gets good. You could also just grab one of the newer big box expansions like Civil War which was supposed to be good and there's a new X-Men big box coming out within the next few months.

zulux21

Not really anything like Boss Monster, IMO.

The Legendary Encounter games are better than the plain Legendary game. I.e. Alien, Predator, Firefly, Big Trouble in Little China. I've only played ALien and Predator though.

encounter games are a better entry point but marvel is better if you want more flexibility.

don't recommend firefly though, that is just pure garbage.

I haven't played big trouble or predator (though I imagine it's like alien which is great)

but again..

Legendary Firefire is pure garbage, do not get that.

I love Marvel Legendary and have never played it competitively. We just add up our points at the end for fun to see who "won" or not at all.

I think Marvel Legendary is more approachable and has more replayability than the Encounter games but the Encounter games are a tighter gameplay experience overall. You really do need at least the first expansion of Marvel, though. That's when it really gets good. You could also just grab one of the newer big box expansions like Civil War which was supposed to be good and there's a new X-Men big box coming out within the next few months.

The encounter games are overall better experiences play wise to me, but the Marvel one is much simpler to set up and play. It's just alot quicker set up and play, while encounter games do have a paint in the butt set up and the break down requires a ton of card separation and organizing when done.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Got my Xia expansion kickstarter finally. Going through the rules and looking at some videos, this entire thing looks entirely necessary every time you play the game. They really did a great job with the improvements.

I have a stupid question about the difference between Arkham LCG and LOTR LCG.
I've bought the Arkham one and started playing to see how the game works.
Now, for LOTR I've only see some video, but my question is:
Why LOTR is considered more replayable than arkham?
I've read it's because Arkham has a plot, but to me the mechanism feel the same?
In both you have a deck that let the enemy "move forward" and one for the heroes. That's the base AFAIK, so the difference is that on arkham at the end you read an epilogue?

XShagrath

I have a stupid question about the difference between Arkham LCG and LOTR LCG.
I've bought the Arkham one and started playing to see how the game works.
Now, for LOTR I've only see some video, but my question is:
Why LOTR is considered more replayable than arkham?
I've read it's because Arkham has a plot, but to me the mechanism feel the same?
In both you have a deck that let the enemy "move forward" and one for the heroes. That's the base AFAIK, so the difference is that on arkham at the end you read an epilogue?
It's been a while since I've played LOTR, but here are a couple of the biggest differences (for me).

Locations - In LOTR, the locations are in the encounter deck and come up randomly. You can get swamped with them, or see very few. In Arkham, the locations are fixed (but may have different effects during games).

Deck-building - With Arkham, you are using the same basic deck through the campaign with small tweaks (by buying cards with XP or gaining story assets). In LOTR, you are building decks specifically to tackle a certain single scenario. This means you will probably lose the first time you play a scenario, unless you have looked through the encounter cards and determined what you need to defeat it.

Story - I feel Arkham gives a much richer narrative, due to the campaign-driven method. That isn't to say that there isn't a strong story in LOTR, but it does require a little more imagination, as you'll be breaking up your group to explore multiple locations simultaneously, for example.

Gameplay - LOTR is more like a puzzle. You see your stats and what you need to do immediately out in front of you. Of course, the shadow cards can modify that a bit. With Arkham, there's a little more randomness (chaos bag), but also more mitigation (pumping stats via card effects or discarding for icons).

Winning/Losing - LOTR is very much win/loss. With Arkham (due to its campaign), you just continue on and there are many branching paths. Re-playing the same campaign is not boring, as you can run it with different investigators and get a very different outcome.

Someone who's got more experience with LOTR can correct any of this if I'm off-base. I stopped playing during the first Hobbit expansion, as I didn't enjoy having my current deck destroyed and having to completely build new decks all the time to get through scenarios, even within the same cycle.

The encounter games are overall better experiences play wise to me, but the Marvel one is much simpler to set up and play. It's just alot quicker set up and play, while encounter games do have a paint in the butt set up and the break down requires a ton of card separation and organizing when done.

Yeah. I'm just not really into Alien/Predator either and am a ridiculous Make Mine Marvel-ite.

Even though Encounters is the "better" game, I just have more fun with the Marvel one.

Ravelle

I have bought Escape Room The Game.

Enjoy playing it but while I was playing it with the family I realized the game won't be played again after we finished all the rooms because the game has zero replayability.

Experien

Got my Xia expansion kickstarter finally. Going through the rules and looking at some videos, this entire thing looks entirely necessary every time you play the game. They really did a great job with the improvements.

Got mine too and played a few games solo. I don't like how it is set up for solo play and probably wont' touch it again.

Izayoi

Banned
My wife and I bought Century Spice Road and we are really enjoying it! We played it at a local game shop and had a blast, we ended up buying it the same day.

Really looking forward to the expansions!

The mega man board game is down to like $40 after a coupon

:|

My love of mega man and my desire not to drop $40 on garbage I know I'd need to house rule to hell to make playable is tearing me apart

Experien

My wife and I bought Century Spice Road and we are really enjoying it! We played it at a local game shop and had a blast, we ended up buying it the same day.

Really looking forward to the expansions!

Expansions? The standalone expansion things? I am curious what they will add besides different symbols.

Karkador

Banned
$40 is still an insane price for an awful game. I could suggest several $40 games that you will actually have a good time with.

I mean, hell, you could even spend $40 on a fair amount of that old Megaman TCG, like whole boxes of it, and even if you never play it (though it's probably a better game), it's gonna satisfy that fan urge to own a piece of the thing you like.

zulux21

$40 is still an insane price for an awful game. I could suggest several $40 games that you will actually have a good time with.

I mean, hell, you could even spend $40 on a fair amount of that old Megaman TCG, like whole boxes of it, and even if you never play it (though it's probably a better game), it's gonna satisfy that fan urge to own a piece of the thing you like.

but the TCG doesn't come with the minis
EPcKL59.png

:p

beyond that though I know I have seen the megaman game cheaper before, and it will likely continue to get cheaper.
it's a bad game that had a lot of funding.

but the TCG doesn't come with the minis

:p

beyond that though I know I have seen the megaman game cheaper before, and it will likely continue to get cheaper.
it's a bad game that had a lot of funding.

Ditto to this being a bad game. Played it once at a friend's house. It took hours and hours and hours, and we barely got anywhere with it. Also, it was incredibly boring.

Don't get it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
yup that sounds like you were playing robinson crusoe lol
The first game was fine because we were learning the game - we got wrecked on the first scenario on round 7 because I rolled 2 snow, 2 rain and a thing that broke my non-existent palisade. I think everyone took like 6 wounds.

The second game felt much closer but we realized we wasted too much of the early game ignoring the items that would have actually won us the game. We were two wood from winning. But in reality I don't think we were that close to winning. We would have had to survive yet another weather phase and somehow have 5 wood afterwards.

It was a funny contrast to how much we demolished Eldritch Horror the day before.

Had a great game of Smash Up with my girls over the weekend.

Zombies/Dinosaurs vs Vampire/Ninjas vs Kittens/Faries

Such a crazy and close game. I am so proud that my 8yr old used a long con strategy with her deck. The ending score was16 to 15 to 14. My oldest happened to pick one of the more complicated factions, cats, and floundered a bit at the beginning until she figured out the best way to utilize them. The game took a little over an hour to complete but they were so into it that time flew by.

This is the perfect game to play with little ones working on math skills. There are a huge amount of ever changing variables and modifiers that change the totals every turn and they really have to work it all out if they want to succeed in the game. Hell, my kids had to correct my math more than once during the game due to modifiers I overlooked!

I ordered the latest expansion. It was the only one I am missing!

Heads up, One Deck Dungeon is currently $12.88 on Amazon. Looking forward to trying it out after seeing some play through videos. Game looks fun!

It's been a while since I've played LOTR, but here are a couple of the biggest differences (for me).

Locations - In LOTR, the locations are in the encounter deck and come up randomly. You can get swamped with them, or see very few. In Arkham, the locations are fixed (but may have different effects during games).

Deck-building - With Arkham, you are using the same basic deck through the campaign with small tweaks (by buying cards with XP or gaining story assets). In LOTR, you are building decks specifically to tackle a certain single scenario. This means you will probably lose the first time you play a scenario, unless you have looked through the encounter cards and determined what you need to defeat it.

Story - I feel Arkham gives a much richer narrative, due to the campaign-driven method. That isn't to say that there isn't a strong story in LOTR, but it does require a little more imagination, as you'll be breaking up your group to explore multiple locations simultaneously, for example.

Gameplay - LOTR is more like a puzzle. You see your stats and what you need to do immediately out in front of you. Of course, the shadow cards can modify that a bit. With Arkham, there's a little more randomness (chaos bag), but also more mitigation (pumping stats via card effects or discarding for icons).

Winning/Losing - LOTR is very much win/loss. With Arkham (due to its campaign), you just continue on and there are many branching paths. Re-playing the same campaign is not boring, as you can run it with different investigators and get a very different outcome.

Someone who's got more experience with LOTR can correct any of this if I'm off-base. I stopped playing during the first Hobbit expansion, as I didn't enjoy having my current deck destroyed and having to completely build new decks all the time to get through scenarios, even within the same cycle.

I'll add that if you play the LOTR saga as a campaign, you get some of that character building similar to arkham, with more focus on permanent card attachments than xp deck building.

random question: is there a place to scope out individuals or teams creating new board games or card games that are in need of help? I wanted to see if there's something I could do some art for. The best I can find is random freelance postings on Reddit and Deviantart, as well as some others -_-

Izayoi

Banned
Expansions? The standalone expansion things? I am curious what they will add besides different symbols.
Nothing but unsubstantiated rumors at this point, but there's lots of cool things mentioned - additional resources, new mechanics, etc.

For larger games (4-5) players we've created a house rule where you can sell an unwanted merchant card back to the deck for a yellow resource because the merchant deck runs dry pretty quickly.

I'm mainly looking forward to having a larger deck with more options - I would also really like to see additional resources and higher point value cards that are more difficult to obtain.

Olorin

random question: is there a place to scope out individuals or teams creating new board games or card games that are in need of help? I wanted to see if there's something I could do some art for. The best I can find is random freelance postings on Reddit and Deviantart, as well as some others -_-

Boardgamegeek.com is what you're looking for. There's a whole sub-forum about creating boardgames.
I'm actually working on a card game myself, but it's still in the early testing phases (and I have a lot of friends who are also artists)

Finally got around to setting up and playing Gloom of Kilforth. Honestly I pretty much backed this game because of artwork and back when I was on my solo gaming kick. The best way I can describe this game is it's a Arkham Horror and Eldritch Horror board game with variable locations map set up and really pretty cards.

Finally got around to setting up and playing Gloom of Kilforth. Honestly I pretty much backed this game because of artwork and back when I was on my solo gaming kick. The best way I can describe this game is it's a Arkham Horror and Eldritch Horror board game with variable locations map set up and really pretty cards.

I'm not sure how I missed the Kickstarter back in '15, but your description has me really intrigued. Will have to follow-up and watch some videos.

Edit: Looks like the creator has a historical game on kickstarter right now with a little under 3 days to go.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I think the first reviews of Wasteland should start hitting this week.

Most reviewers got it during Origins and I got a lot of rules questions last week.

So.... Soon.

panty

I think the next OT needs at least a few figures.. the current one is too eurocentric ;)

Played a 2p game of Arkham Horror yesterday. We both had 2 characters and we actually won the game, wasn't even that tough. It's a great game to play every once in a while and we started thinking buying some expansions for it just to expand the game. Any recommendations?

... thinking buying some expansions for it just to expand the game. Any recommendations?
You'll generally see people recommend Dunwich Horror as a good starting point. It's got a bit of everything (investigators, items, spells, GOOs, a new board). What is quite interesting are the injury and madness cards. Instead of losing some of your stuff, you draw an injury card or a madness card which gives you a permanent ailment.

I haven't bothered to pick up any of the small box expansions yet, but my second acquisition was Innsmouth Horror. TBH, I just got it recently and we haven't had a chance to play since we've been invested in Mage Knight this last while. Innsmouth supposedly gives a greater challenge, has heralds (mini-bosses), a bunch of new investigators, a tough mini-board, and new GOOs. It also has personal stories which are unique side quests for each character (includes cards for base AH, Dunwich and Innsmouth - maybe even some of the small box) that has a success/failure states.

BGG and Reddit has some good threads on the breakdown of different expansions, especially if you're also looking to get a small box expansion too. I seem to recall that a lot of people like the King in Yellow one.

Edit: Here's a summary of the large box expansions, and here's a summary of the small box expansions. It's interesting that this guy has ranked most of the small boxes ahead of the large boxes by saying that the large ones lack "value" - I wouldn't necessarily go by his scores based on the other reviews I've read.

Here's a good BGG thread with links off to other posts.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I was given a chance to get in on a KD:M pledge at cost. But it's one of the most expensive pledges. I'm weighing my options...If I buy it and sell all the pin-ups and shit, I should make at least a small chunk back, right?

I was given a chance to get in on a KD:M pledge at cost. But it's one of the most expensive pledges. I'm weighing my options...If I buy it and sell all the pin-ups and shit, I should make at least a small chunk back, right?

In theory.

1. Don't hinge your decision on the expectation that you MUST sell X many dollars worth. Even then, you'll have to decide if you're planning on selling it piecemeal or as a huge lot. There's going to be some effort involved, and hopefully you won't run into any assholes.

2. There are other people who grabbed Satan's Lantern pledges with the intent to sell off pin-ups and promos. It's hard to know how saturated the market will be when it all comes out. Plus, there will inevitably be recasts sold on ebay and the like.

3. You'll have to wait till at least Spring 2018 to start making some money back.

4. Only you know your financial situation and can assess what you can afford. If it's what you truly want, try and work it into your upcoming budget/future spending, or consider selling off stuff you no longer want to lessen the blow.

Edit: Is the seller local, or from BGG, Reddit or eBay?

joelseph

I think the first reviews of Wasteland should start hitting this week.

Most reviewers got it during Origins and I got a lot of rules questions last week.

So.... Soon.

Sad it didn't make Geekway. Will have to make the trip to Ohio next year, looked hella fun.

The second game felt much closer but we realized we wasted too much of the early game ignoring the items that would have actually won us the game. We were two wood from winning. But in reality I don't think we were that close to winning. We would have had to survive yet another weather phase and somehow have 5 wood afterwards.

It was a funny contrast to how much we demolished Eldritch Horror the day before.

That was our first game - cheering each other on building all this crap we didn't need and then whoops, freezing/starving to death when the snow hits. Won our second game after having laser-focus on necessities only.

Third game I tried solo with Friday and the dog, got waaayy too comfortable with the reduced food requirements but wasn't clearing the event cards fast enough and that lead to a snow event. Coupled with rolling two rainclouds that turn and only having one food and no wood in the bank I was wiped :(

We also played the second scenario (cursed island) and won on the first shot, I'm sure it felt easier than the intro one but it may have just been luck.

Good fun in any case - my preorder of First Martians should be shipping on the 3rd, keen to find out what's different and see how the app supposedly constructs more meaningful 'stories' compared to the event deck in RC.

panty

You'll generally see people recommend Dunwich Horror as a good starting point. It's got a bit of everything (investigators, items, spells, GOOs, a new board). What is quite interesting are the injury and madness cards. Instead of losing some of your stuff, you draw an injury card or a madness card which gives you a permanent ailment.

I haven't bothered to pick up any of the small box expansions yet, but my second acquisition was Innsmouth Horror. TBH, I just got it recently and we haven't had a chance to play since we've been invested in Mage Knight this last while. Innsmouth supposedly gives a greater challenge, has heralds (mini-bosses), a bunch of new investigators, a tough mini-board, and new GOOs. It also has personal stories which are unique side quests for each character (includes cards for base AH, Dunwich and Innsmouth - maybe even some of the small box) that has a success/failure states.

BGG and Reddit has some good threads on the breakdown of different expansions, especially if you're also looking to get a small box expansion too. I seem to recall that a lot of people like the King in Yellow one.

Edit: Here's a summary of the large box expansions, and here's a summary of the small box expansions. It's interesting that this guy has ranked most of the small boxes ahead of the large boxes by saying that the large ones lack "value" - I wouldn't necessarily go by his scores based on the other reviews I've read.

Here's a good BGG thread with links off to other posts.
Excellent write-up, much appreciated. I guess it's Dunwich then.

Got to play three games this evening. First one was coup a bluffing game where everyone has two face down cards and you can claim to have their ability to take an action such as the duke can take 3 coins or the assassin can pay 3 coins to kill someone. Other players can claim they have a card that blocks your action. You can also take 1 coin for free or pay 7 coins to kill someone for free. The bluff mechanic comes into play if you call someone for claiming to have a card they don't actually have. If they prove they have one you lose one of your two characters, if they were lying they lose one of their two characters. I was pretty awful at the game and came in last both times but it was still a lot of fun.

Second we played 7 wonders which even though I knew what I was doing I still came in second to last. Guy next to me got 3 of all the science cards and completely obliterated everyone. I feel like going after armies is a beginners trap since you simply don't get enough vp for the investment to be worth it.

Finally I played time stories asylum and wow, this game lived up to the hype. We had to cheat it since we all died on the final boss and our group agreed we weren't going to bother to redo another cycle just to see the ending. Don't want to say much for spoilers but play this game.

Got to play three games this evening. First one was coup a bluffing game where everyone has two face down cards and you can claim to have their ability to take an action such as the duke can take 3 coins or the assassin can pay 3 coins to kill someone. Other players can claim they have a card that blocks your action. You can also take 1 coin for free or pay 7 coins to kill someone for free. The bluff mechanic comes into play if you call someone for claiming to have a card they don't actually have. If they prove they have one you lose one of your two characters, if they were lying they lose one of their two characters. I was pretty awful at the game and came in last both times but it was still a lot of fun.

Second we played 7 wonders which even though I knew what I was doing I still came in second to last. Guy next to me got 3 of all the science cards and completely obliterated everyone. I feel like going after armies is a beginners trap since you simply don't get enough vp for the investment to be worth it.

Finally I played time stories asylum and wow, this game lived up to the hype. We had to cheat it since we all died on the final boss and our group agreed we weren't going to bother to redo another cycle just to see the ending. Don't want to say much for spoilers but play this game.

Man, I wanna play 7 Wonders again ={ People have been bagging on it lately, but it scratches my old MtG drafting itch with my love of civ building. You're pretty spot on with your military view. It's an efficient plan if you can convince your neighbors early that you're gonna win reds and they should lay off. God help you if they decide to chase, cuz getting into an arms race is the only surefire way for both of you to lose to the rest of the table. Also, it's the entire table's responsibility to police science cards. If you decide to only protect one symbol (try to hit 4 of it), you can often wreck someone's science plan while scoring 16 on 4 cards of your own. Good trade.

EYEL1NER

I kinda want to try 7 Wonders again. I hated it back when I played two games of it back in 2014 but bought it shortly after anyway. I don't know if I've ever even opened it though. Playing 7 Wonders Duel (and watching two people play it this last Tuesday night) made me think I should give it another shot soon, especially if a game night happens soon where a good-size group of people show up.

Top Bottom