• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW at the ME3 news.....

Speaking of expensive, the one major thing that I hate about Nintendo going next gen is the higher priced games :(
I definitely agree with you. I already thought that fifty dollars was expensive, but with sixty being the new standard, I might be even more frugal this generation. I don't have the money to spend on games that I only think I'll like. I really only buy the must-have titles.

My DS library is embarrassingly tiny, and that handheld probably has one of the best libraries ever.

Anyway, I just read about the Mass Effect Trilogy. It's ridiculous, really. There is now absolutely no reason to get Mass Effect 3 on Wii U. The Trilogy is a great package, but it is unfortunate for those who wanted the Wii U version to do reasonably well.

ozfunghi

Well, EA just effectively convinced me NOT to buy a game that was on my "definitely" list. I'll buy it at 29.99, not a cent more. Great job EA.

PhantomR

Banned
Definite Day 1
  • Deluxe Wii U with NintendoLand bundle
  • New Super Mario Bros. U
  • Assassin's Creed 3 (Damn you EA! This was going to be Mass Effect 3!!)
  • FIFA 13
  • Batman Arkham City....TENTATIVELY. We'll have to see how it turns out.
Christmas
  • Black Ops 2
  • Scribblenauts Unlimited
  • Rayman Legends
Launch Window Interest
  • Wonderful 101
  • Aliens: Colonial Marines
  • Pikmin 3
  • 007 Legends
  • Game & Wario
Digital
  • Toki Tori 2
  • Trine 2
  • Chasing Aurora
  • Cloudberry Kingdom
  • Mighty Switch Force HD

DrNeroCF

Great, so it's Metal Gear Solid HD collection all over again.

Though, if they put ME3's online co-op mode on the eShop for 10 bucks, I'd probably get that, even though I already have ME3 on 360. Being able to play that in bed would be pretty fantastic.

E3 2013: "We have no plans for
Reaper-Shepard's
Big Space Adventure coming to the Wii-U. Sales just haven't been there for us on that platform"
did you just spoil the ending? seriously? I've not allowed anyone to talk to me about 3 as I've waited for the wiiu version... gee, thanks.

PhantomR

Banned
So I went to my local Gamestop yesterday, and watched a dude play a Wii game(Mario Party 9 I think) while on line. I look next to the Wii console stand and see a wall of Wii U games, but what got me was a wall section next to it labeled: Wii U Headsets.

Some black and some white, they were going for $199 to $299 each and they weren't even branded Nintendo by the look of the boxes IIRC. Looked like they had a "b" branded on the left and right headphone, but I really didn't have enough time to take a look at the brand name up close as I had a prior engagement.

MoP CE demands my attention!!! >:O

Has anyone seen this at their local game shops? I mean I know headsets can be expensive depending on the brand/store, but have they seen them this expensive?

<<<------ Headset Noob... :p

fail-headset1.jpg

Now that I think of it, the brand Monster Beats comes to mind and I have no idea if they're any good or not. Idk, I just find it interesting that it's all building up to launch, their advertising their headsets for Wii U and I'm standing there looking at it...but in my head I'm like

tumblr_lwozg0ZtZZ1qhh7cio1_400.gif

Wii U is almost here! :)

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/09/20/turtle-beach-shows-off-budget-friendly-wii-u-headsets

:)

AzaK

Well, EA just effectively convinced me NOT to buy a game that was on my "definitely" list. I'll buy it at 29.99, not a cent more. Great job EA.

And unfortunately if lots of people do this, they'll go "See, gamers don't want core games on Wii U" :(

NOTE: Not saying you should buy it because of this.

Edit: Are there any wireless headsets that work with Wii U?

Shadoken

Why?

I hope it's Remember Me, DMC, and Lost Planet 3.
The last time a street fighter game was on a Nintendo system was SF2 and that sold fucktons.

About time they launched a mainstream SF title on nintendo again.

I really think Capcom should port AE with some touch controls at a budget price. Would give Wii users the best fighting game out there and touch controls will make it easy for the casuals.

I dont know why Capcom arent releasing any fighters , I mean they have no competition aside from TTT2 and its all new games for people moving from Wii->Wii U

ozfunghi

And unfortunately if lots of people do this, they'll go "See, gamers don't want core games on Wii U" :(

NOTE: Not saying you should buy it because of this.

Edit: Are there any wireless headsets that work with Wii U?

Not a problem, i'll invest the money in an other 3rd party game, such as ACIII or Aliens CM.

The last time a street fighter game was on a Nintendo system was SF2 and that sold fucktons.

I really think Capcom should port AE with some touch controls at a budget price. Would give Wii users the best fighting game out there and touch controls will make it easy for the casuals.

I dont know why Capcom arent releasing any fighters , I mean they have no competition aside from TTT2 and its all new games for people moving from Wii->Wii U

Darkstalkers 2 WII U
~Believe

But the fighting genre is too saturated and capcom knows this(it's partly their fault too) Street Fighter X Tekken sold extremely under expectations and Ultimate Marvel VS. Capcom Didn't really do too well either so I think they will lay off on the fighters atleast until we are well into next gen

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
What happened with Mass Effect today? (I overheard people talking about it at the supmarket)

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
What happened with Mass Effect today? (I overheard people talking about it at the supmarket)

Basically, EA will release the entire Mass Effect Trilogy on other formats (PC/PS3/360) for $49.99 - meanwhile ME3 costs $69.99 on the Wii U.

Yagharek

Step 1: Release an overpriced game already released on another console and that 75% of the people even interested by it already played.
Step 2: Announce a better deal on the other platforms to make sure the overpriced game doesn't sell.
Step 3: Use the poor sale of the overpriced game as an excuse to stop supporting the console the overpriced game was released on.

ibqzDDNY1EjNL5.gif

FUCKING. BRILLIANT!

Gamers need to get in with Step 0: Don't buy Wii U games from EA. Ever.

JavyOO7

I understand why everyone is peeved about ME trilogy going to other platforms besides Wii U, but since I never had a 360 or PS3 or a PC (I have a Mac Mini 2011, but I love it =p ), it makes sense to me to get ME3. I just hope its not a crappy port.

Also stealing Drago's format:
Definite Day 1
  • Premium ZombiU bundle
  • Assassins Creed 3
  • Darksiders 2
  • Black Ops 2
  • FIFA 13
Christmas
  • Batman Arkham City
  • Rayman Legends
  • Lego City Undercover
  • Ninja Gaiden 3
Launch Window Definite
  • Wonderful 101
  • Aliens: Colonial Marines
  • Pikmin 3
Digital
  • Trine 2

Good job I've got 2 credit cards and £300 saved up lol

BD1

Banned
ME3: Wii U Edition is sort of head scratchingly listed as "launch window" on the Nintendo release list. Is it possible That ME3 is flat out not coming and they'll replace it with a a port of ME Triology sometime Q1 next year?

Other wise, what the fuck?

Meelow

Banned
ME3: Wii U Edition is sort of head scratchingly listed as "launch window" on the Nintendo release list. Is it possible That ME3 is flat out not coming and they'll replace it with a a port of ME Triology sometime Q1 next year?

Other wise, what the fuck?

I don't know, it's confusing because EA promised it will be a launch title and now it's not, maybe Nintendo got them to bring Mass Effect Trilogy instead of just Mass Effect 3.

But this is EA so I doubt it.

In other news, there's already a dozen Wii U titles during the launch window I'm interested in, half of which are exclusive in some shape or form. Fairly certain Wii U purchasers can comfortably ignore EA entirely this Fall.

Doesn't stop flat out baffling decisions like this from pissing me off though.

I'm hoping we get more plans from Square Enix in regards to WiiU. Yeah we got Dragon Quest X (for Japan anyway). What else ya got?

Unless we get a Lightning Returns port (Which I do not think is happening) we shouldn't really expect much. As it is right now almost all of Square Enix's teams are caught up in Either Final Fantasy 14 2.0 development (Which has an enormous staff of 300 people working on it), development on Final Fantasy 13-3, or development on Versus. Square won't be making wii u games for a while unless they outsource. It's a shame because I want a Crystal Chronicles U so bad :(

Rock in a hard place for Mass Effect on Wii U. Porting all 3 games might be out of the budget from EA since we know how hurt for cash they are.......I kid I kid.....it may not be worth the money for them to do that.

A solid 150k in sales for Mass Effect 3 might actually let them break even on the port to the Wii U. How much do you think the budget was for the game?

Penguin

Rock in a hard place for Mass Effect on Wii U. Porting all 3 games might be out of the budget from EA since we know how hurt for cash they are.......I kid I kid.....it may not be worth the money for them to do that.

A solid 150k in sales for Mass Effect 3 might actually let them break even on the port to the Wii U. How much do you think the budget was for the game?

But they are already porting the other games... I don't see why not just take the extra time and do it right on the Wii U.

Didn't even have to hit launch

Think if it came early next year as a Trilogy people would be just as open to it as a months old port of just 3

GBA saw both SF2 Revival, and SFA3:Upper, plus 3DS launched with a SFIV title.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I'd like to imagine Reggie learning about ME Trilogy, cancelling all his meetings for the day, drive down to EA HQ, knock down the door, snap one or two guard's neck, grab Moore by the shirt, look at him straight in the eyes and go: Dude what the fuck?

What a fantasy land I live in. :(

Though, if Nintendo is smart, they HAD to be on the phone with EA at some point today. If I was Nintendo, I'd be pissed as hell.

AzaK

Not a problem, i'll invest the money in an other 3rd party game, such as ACIII or Aliens CM.

Fair enough, I'm thinking about doing the same myself now and it was one of the titles right at the top of my launch day list (That and Zombi U)

Day 1.
Monster Hunter 3G U
NSMB U
nothing else really i am desperate to play.

I've never played a Monster Hunter game. Should I look into MH 3G U?

But guys! ME3 for Wii U has a special weapon and the comic backstory. That's great right guys?!

Guys?!

Totally, like Batman is; just ask Reggie.

I'd like to imagine Reggie learning about ME Trilogy, cancelling all his meetings for the day, drive down to EA HQ, knock down the door, snap one or two guard's neck, grab Moore by the shirt, look at him straight in the eyes and go: Dude what the fuck?

Though, if Nintendo is smart, they HAD to be on the phone with EA at some point today. If I was Nintendo, I'd be pissed as hell.

See above :)

Meelow

Banned

I had a dream before E3 2012 that Nintendo was going to announce massive third party games outside the launch, with a few being GTAV, the rumored Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, and also Retro's game.

I live in the fantasy land.

BY2K

Membero Americo
EA was the first third-party to announce their support of the Wii U.

They were on stage at E3 2011, for crying out loud.

I've been thinking about EA's strange change of attitude towards Nintendo since E3 2011...maybe it has something to do with Nintendo's patent with using the remote as a golf club and the GamePad as the view of the ball on the golf course ground..? Perhaps Nintendo aren't giving them permission to use that for the next Tiger Woods game on the U..?

Or maybe they've got the hump with Nintendo because they're not using Origin as was rumoured ages ago..?

EA must have had dev kits for what..? Around 18 months..? There has to be some reason for them to only supporting the U with FIFA, Madden and Mass Effect 3..? It's almost as if they don't want revenue. 18 months is long enough to have brought the Trilogy to the U, surely..?

If I were an EA shareholder I'd be fuming, particularly after hearing that pre-orders for the console have been so strong.

AniHawk

and then nintendo wouldn't make origin the only way to play games online on the wii u and ea left in a hissy fit.

they did the same thing with sega when sega had the audacity to make their own games for their own console. except ea's response was more extreme back then.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I've never played a Monster Hunter game. Should I look into MH 3G U?

YES!!

Takes a while to get the hang of things, but once you do, you can easily sink hundreds of hours into it.

Frankly I suspect I will be fine for most of 2013 just with MH 3G U.

AzaK

Not sure what you're getting at? I remember them saying they had an unprecdented relationship with Nintendo.

JordanN

Banned
Regarding the EA/Origin thing, would they have the gall to target only Nintendo? What about Microsoft and Sony? Would they pressure those two companies and give them the same treatment or not go after them at all for fear of backlash? The latter would be hypocritical.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I heard the worst port currently for the Wii U is Sonic All-Star Racing.

Horrible framerate, weird filter they put.

Let me find the preview.

EDIT: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/09/hands_on_wii_u_third_party_round_up

To get the basics out of the way, controls on the GamePad are intuitively set to the right trigger to accelerate, left trigger to drift around corners for valuable boosts, and the A button for weapons. That all works, but the problem in the track that we played is that Sonic's vehicle handled like a shopping trolley, and there was the small matter of an abysmal frame-rate that dragged the action down and caused confusion, rather than fun. The visuals also looked like a strange filter had been applied, lacking any real crisp detail, and we actually got lost on the track after failing to spot some fuzzy pink arrows in a water section.
It was perhaps all summed up by the GamePad feature that, of all of those we saw last week, was the most pointless and worst to use. The GamePad screen shows an overhead map, similar to that seen in Mario Kart 7, yet if you hold the controller up a small rectangular box appears as a rear-view mirror. The problem is that the picture in this mirror &#8212; it only fills a small part of the GamePad's screen &#8212; is fuzzy and hard to see, so it serves no real purpose in the game.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I heard the worst port currently for the Wii U is Sonic All-Star Racing.

Horrible framerate, weird filter they put.

Let me find the preview.

DAMN IT.

If you do find the preview, please post it. I need to change my preorder if so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom