• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

Quikies83

I'm going, I'm hyped as well.

The NYC show was sold when i tried to buy tickets but the moved the show to a bigger venue so I got my hands on some tickets now. Can't wait.
Glad they moved it to accommodate more people. I think this tour will bring out a lot of their older fans (like me).

Can anyone recommend me some stuff? I grew up on metal through my middle, high school, and college years, but slowly fell out of it. I've been getting back into it. Bands I like for the sake of comparison (not all of which may qualify as metal by certain peoples' definitions)

In Flames
Pantera
GWAR
Amon Amarth
Helmet
Motorhead
White Zombie
Megadeth
Prong
Most 80s hair metal (Motley Crue, Ratt, Skid Row, etc)

Lots of other stuff, but that's the jist of it. Any suggestions?

Bitanator

Can anyone recommend me some stuff? I grew up on metal through my middle, high school, and college years, but slowly fell out of it. I've been getting back into it. Bands I like for the sake of comparison (not all of which may qualify as metal by certain peoples' definitions)

In Flames
Pantera
GWAR
Amon Amarth
Helmet
Motorhead
White Zombie
Megadeth
Prong

That is a great template of bands for recommendations, I'll edit my list in later today

Gray Matter

Glad they moved it to accommodate more people. I think this tour will bring out a lot of their older fans (like me).

When the NYC show sold out the first time I bought tickets to the Boston show, then a few days later the NYC show was moved to a bigger venue. I now have tickets for both the NYC and Boston shows.

I'll probably give away the ticket to the show in Boston closer to September. I'll keep it for now for back up.

bebop242

In Flames
Pantera
GWAR
Amon Amarth
Helmet
Motorhead
White Zombie
Megadeth
Prong

I was in the same boat as you with you a couple years ago with simular tastes.

Some stand outs for me

Gojira- all their stuff but especially From Mars to Sirius.

Meshuggah- Obzen

Between the Buried and Me- Colors

Also have discovered and enjoyed Opeth, Soilwork, Lord Dying, Cattle Decapitation, Allegaeon and Code Orange.

When the NYC show sold out the first time I bought tickets to the Boston show, then a few days later the NYC show was moved to a bigger venue. I now have tickets for both the NYC and Boston shows.

I'll probably give away the ticket to the show in Boston closer to September. I'll keep it for now for back up.

You're going twice?!

Gray Matter

You're going twice?!

No, I was planning to go to the NYC show (September 23rd) all along because I have tickets to go see roger waters September 24th but it sold out before I could buy my ticket, so my plan was BTBAM Saturday the 23rd then roger waters Sunday the 24th.

I bought tickets for the Boston show because there is absolutely no way I'm missing colors live. A few days later the NYC show got moved to a bigger venue, which means I can go to NY and still see roger waters the next day.

I was upset that I was going to miss the roger waters concert, but everything is back on track now. I'm keeping the ticket for the Boston show for now in case anything happens, but if nothing happens I'll probably give it away, most likely to someone in this thread.

Cindro

Just a friendly reminder about how unbelievably excellent this record is.

81orgNK27CL._SX355_.jpg

That's all - carry on!

I'm sure its already been brought up but that new Decrepit Birth track is fucking amazing. It seems like after their last two albums that were more Death inspired they are bringing back the Suffocation influence.

It serioulsy sounds like Cerrito era Suffocation with Schuldiner on lead guitar. My mind has been blown to the ceiling. Check this shit out asap.

Assuming the rest of the album sounds like this they should just call it Despise the Symbolic Sun of Perseverance.

Cindro

I also dislike Iced Earth. If you remove them from the equation though, and just focus on how Jon's guitar work and Hansi's vocal work synergize on this album, the record really shines. I consider it an all-time classic, and the best thing Schaffer has ever done.

And they're making a third D&W album this year?? I need a source!

New Alestorm tune is out (along with the album). It's repetitive, crass, and stupid, but probably my favorite song they've put out so far this year.

Honestly, I don't expect to buy this one. I have three of their albums and while there's enough difference between them to justify that, I just don't see it here. I'll give the whole thing a listen when it hits youtube, but I'm fairly unimpressed.

More interested in this Wind Rose joint that also drops today. Hope it hits youtube soon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qF1EQXIG1c

Regiruler

I'm at the point where I've read a little too much of what Chris has posted on reddit and it's rubbed off on me the wrong way, and finding the direction of the band just a bit too far into the distasteful. I really liked Back through Time as it was a great balance with just enough seriousness, and enough "family friendly" humor (Swashbuckled being a favorite).

I hope in the near future Gloryhammer becomes the primary band while Alestorm trades places. Gloryhammer is still really fresh and there's a bunch of places he can take it (also I really want them to tour in the United States).

New Alestorm tune is out (along with the album). It's repetitive, crass, and stupid, but probably my favorite song they've put out so far this year.

Honestly, I don't expect to buy this one. I have three of their albums and while there's enough difference between them to justify that, I just don't see it here. I'll give the whole thing a listen when it hits youtube, but I'm fairly unimpressed.

More interested in this Wind Rose joint that also drops today. Hope it hits youtube soon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qF1EQXIG1c

...The entire bonus portion of the "deluxe edition" is dogs barking for the vocals sections. That is an amazing dedication to a gag.

XShagrath

I found Alestorm to be a really fun and interesting band when they first appeared, and I used to listen to them quite often. However, their past two albums haven't grabbed me at all. There's only so much you can do with the "pirate metal" theme before it starts to either get repetitive, or just go off in uninspired directions (like what I'm noticing on this album).

I'll give it a full spin before passing final judgment, but it probably won't make it into my regular rotation, same as the last album. Their first three still got listened to occasionally. I would also like to see Gloryhammer take the driver's seat, as there's more opportunity there to move off in different directions and keep things fresh.

Regiruler

Will a day ever come when Alestorm gets mentioned and Running Wild doesn't? ��
You may think you've heard all this music before
That Running Wild did it back in '84
But times are a-changing and we don't give a damn!
So if you don't like it, go start your own band!

Even though I don't like them all that much anymore I find the bonus disc as a concept to be really funny.

I found Alestorm to be a really fun and interesting band when they first appeared, and I used to listen to them quite often. However, their past two albums haven't grabbed me at all. There's only so much you can do with the "pirate metal" theme before it starts to either get repetitive, or just go off in uninspired directions (like what I'm noticing on this album).

I'll give it a full spin before passing final judgment, but it probably won't make it into my regular rotation, same as the last album. Their first three still got listened to occasionally. I would also like to see Gloryhammer take the driver's seat, as there's more opportunity there to move off in different directions and keep things fresh.
Basically how I view Amon Amarth and their Norse shtick. I imagine Powerwolf will go the way of that dinosaur too now that I own three of their albums and have no real need for a fourth.

Pro

I don't know. I still find all of Alestorm's songs extremely fun and catchy. I've got plenty of serious metal to listen to. I've got no issues with the new album. F--ked with an Anchor is the tune of 2017.

e_i

I don't know. I still find all of Alestorm's songs extremely fun and catchy. I've got plenty of serious metal to listen to. I've got no issues with the new album. F--ked with an Anchor is the tune of 2017.

I can see the song being an live favorite. I can see everybody singing along with it.

DrM

Redmond's Baby

And Youtube comments never disappoint:
Very touching, may I play this at my funeral?

Add some bagpipes and Scots got a new national anthem.

MDF was good

Insect Warfare was probably the best set I've seen

Agoraphobic sounded better than last time (though the last time was super loud and blown out, preferred that chaos)

Goratory was great

Goolagoon was cool

Fiend was nuts

Morbid Angel was fuckin great

Terrorizer was fun, Pete sounds good on drums but the guitar is trash. They also played Hordes of Zombies (lol) and a terrible new song

Time overlaps and bands running late were trash. I missed multiple bands I wanted to see and only caught two Akercocke songs because they were running 20 minutes late

I've been on an Opeth kick lately, and goddamn, My Arms, Your Hearse has really been clicking for me. It's such a focused and spooky album.

I always saw it as one of their top three albums with Still Life and Blackwater Park, but the more I'm listening to it, I think it might be my new favorite. It's either MAYH or Still Life.

Control Denied is also a must listen. I like listening to Sound of Perserverence and The Fragile Art of Existence back to back. A fucking crime that Chuck Schuldiner left this planet so soon. Damn my eyes are getting watery just writing this.

If you like TSoP-era Death and especially Control Denied, I'd highly recommend checking out Witherfall. They're a new prog metal band fronted by ex-White Wizzard singer Joseph Michael and current Iced Earth lead guitarist Jake Dreyer.

Their sound is like "Control Denied/Nevermore-meets-King Diamond-meets-Savatage-meets-Opeth-meets-early Yngwie Malmsteen" with a dash of Pink Floyd type moments scattered about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pALdy-MVwM

Quite frankly, while I like old school Iced Earth, I think Jake Dreyer is arguably too good a guitarist to be in that band. lmao Dude's gonna go places in the years to come, imo.

e_i

The Animals As Leaders the other night at the Starland Ballroom was great. Tosin called the audience the craziest motherfuckers he's seen all tour (people were crowd serfing and moshing during the show). People sang along with Physical Education. Alluvial was great, and Veil of Maya had the audience going (a couple moshers were thrown out). I think Opeth played the next night and I missed out (goddamnit). I think AaL played a new song I haven't heard before, and it was fantastic.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Demons & Wizards s/t is really really good. It's almost the very last great thing Schaffer AND Kürsch did, lol... their respective bands kind of turned to shit after that

I am digging this Witherfall album. Reminds me of Pharaoh a bit?

Also -- no one went to MDF?

Demons & Wizards s/t is really really good. It's almost the very last great thing Schaffer AND Kürsch did, lol... their respective bands kind of turned to shit after that

I am digging this Witherfall album. Reminds me of Pharaoh a bit?

Also -- no one went to MDF?

Yeah, I can definitely see some similarities to Pharaoh, albeit a much heavier version of them. I think the main similarity is between Witherfall's singer Joseph Michael and Pharaoh's singer Tim Aymar, who also sang for Control Denied (which I think Witherfall bears more resemblance to).

But yeah, for the record, the guitarist in Witherfall- Jake Dreyer- is Iced Earth's current lead guitarist. I know he joined the band after Schaffer had already written all the music for Incorruptible, but just imagine what Dreyer could bring to the table for IE if Schaffer actually let him contributes to the songwriting for the next IE album?

I doubt that'll happen, but it's still cool to think about.

Top Bottom