• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've started to read comics again. Looking to start with DC Rebirth, Batman, All Star Batman, The Flash, JL, JLA. Going from Rebirth #1 on each title to current will I miss any basic stuff? I know Batman has a crossover with Nightwing and Detective comics, but since Rebirth wasn't a hard restart how much have I missed?

Obviously you should pick up characters you like, but I feel like you'll be disappointed with some of those books. Justice League is awful. JLA is a book in search of a reason to exist.

I'm still pulling The Flash because I make "wise" financial decisions, but it's ironically slow and we've little to show for 23 issues. Dodgy art, too. You could just read the Button crossover, which doesn't relate at all to previous 20 issues, and be good.

Batman is divisive but it's Batman. Likely the most pulled book around here. You can look for forward to dozens of Bane issues that run together.

If you're diving into Rebirth, I unconditionally recommend you pick up Superman and Detective Comics. Detective is a better Bat book than Batman. Trinity is a better bet than Justice League if you want to see the three heaviest hitters in a book that doesn't suck. Green Arrow is also cash money. Deathstroke is awesome, but less mass appeal there.

Messi

I dont think there were any Tie Ins to events that you had to pick up. Atleast I dont remember any until maybe the Death of the Family arc. If you read past the Court of Owls story arc and didnt like the book then dont worry about it. But I definitely recommend going back at some point with fresh eyes if your looking for a really good Batman book.

There are no crossovers in Rebirth until Justice League vs. Suicide Squad, The Button, and the Lazarus Contract. But those didnt happen until atleast the 2nd year. DC has been doing a much better job with their crossover events lately.

JL vs Suicide Squad and Night of Monster Men were mid first year.

Vic_Viper

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Its 40 degree Celsius and I am dying.
Cant some of the Ice-People from Injustice come over and chill a bit with me? :(

Also, has anyone gotten the Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 3 Omnibus? Would love to see a size comparison with the First Prints of Vol 1 and 2:

Darkseid War leads right into the Rebirth one shot, but that's it.

I still need to read the one shot, would you recommend I pick up Darkseid War alongside? I hadn't thought about that, but I did want to read it.

Its 40 degree Celsius and I am dying.
Cant some of the Ice-People from Injustice come over and chill a bit with me? :(

LOL. It got up to 26 here a few days ago and I thought I was dying.

Bii

Anyone here notice when buying a graphic novel from anyone on Amazon gets you a free digital trade?

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/05/29/free-marvel-graphic-novels-kindle-buy-anyones-graphic-novels-print/

I dont know how it works and I still havent used mine. They used to show up as free for some books and others were discounted but now I cant seem to get it to show anymore lol. The Article says you can get the AvX trade but it doesnt seem to work for me, or atleast its not free.

It worked for me. I preordered the next One Punch Man manga and was sent the promotional e-mail about it. I grabbed Civil War II for free, for my lack of better judgment. Amazon has a wonky way of redeeming free digital stuff. It doesn't show as "free" since you can never see the checkout page.

I still need to read the one shot, would you recommend I pick up Darkseid War alongside? I hadn't thought about that, but I did want to read it.

It's very, very good, so I'd recommend it. Feels like a Crisis event in a really compact format. Make sure you get the GL and Shazam oneshots too, if they're not included.

It's very, very good, so I'd recommend it. Feels like a Crisis event in a really compact format. Make sure you get the GL and Shazam oneshots too, if they're not included.

I want to say it's like a 3 book set, parts 1 and 2,and then a separate HC for the one shots! Is it okay to read without having read the rest of the run?

Read Pretty Deadly vol 1 last night.

I'm guessing one of the reasons it doesn't get talked much about is because it releases infrequently. I rarely hear about it so I didn't expect too much out of but

Goddamn was it great. I think I enjoyed this more than East of West. Now, given, we do have 30+ issues of EoW v 10 of Pretty Deadly but I'm just talking about my personal enjoyment.

Outside of Bitch Planet, I hadn't actually read much of KSD's work. I skipped over her Captain Marvel work after a couple issues I picked up didn't grab me.

I don't know where KSD's writing and direction ends and Emma Rios' art begins, but that's more a sign of a great collaboration than anything else I think.

The mythology of the world is very interesting and Emma Rios designs demand you pour over the characters and settings. It builds on Western and Greek/Roman tropes pretty quickly and becomes it's own thing.

The dialogue is pretty sharp and mostly everyone's way of talking feels distinctive. There's a kid in the story and it was pretty satisfying to see them talk and react like a kid actually might in their situation.

Emma Rios is maybe one of the most distinctive artists right now. On the interior side of the trade cover was a quote from Brandon Graham about Emma Rios. He talks about how her work is a fantastic blend of euro comics and manga. He's fucking dead on.

The Manga influence is easily seen. Her brush work and action give it away. I think her designs are also more indicative of designs you might see from Manga or Japanese video games.

You might need to pay a little more attention to see the euro influence on her storytelling. She packs a lot of panels per page without compromising room certain panels need. Sometimes she'll pack 4 panels where one wide-screen panel could go. As a result, the book feels a little denser without getting bogged down.

I think we also have to give her special credit in the first few pages. There's a scene where the main characters recount their story and Rios does *amazing* work in layout and composing those pages. I think they're pretty damn special. Disparate scenes blend into each other with cards and narrators laid over them. They're very complicated pages to assemble and they're still *very* readable (you paying attention JHWIII?!?)

Jordie Bellaire does really great work like always. One of her best attributes is the ability to enhance linework rather than compete. The linework is very lush and detailed so Bellaire isn't doing much rendering here. She picks the colors that set the mood in which the inks do their work. She'll do color holds here and there but they never even approach garish. Her restraint should be noted. Of course, there's the trademark blue v red color schemes in here that were so prevalent in Manhattan Projects although they take a backseat to the warm browns and dusted yellows of the setting which are more often contrasted with dark blue greys.

I can't say I remember much about the lettering. I know Cowles fully believes in the lettering being as out of the way as possible and noticable. At no point did I feel like there was a misplaced balloon or odd lettering choice so he's succeeded as far as I could tell from my read.

Anyway, great book. Feel like it should be recommended more often. Vol 1 had a satisfying ending so I'm not entirely sure what to expect from vol 2 but I'm looking forward to it.

uvwbKnZ.jpg

Great writeup Ed, really glad you enjoyed it. I read through both vol 1 and 2 a month or two back, and love it as well. I believe they literally plot, illustrate and script the book scene by scene, back and forth between the whole team during production, which speaks alot to why it feels like you can barely tell where the writing ends and the art begins. Very special book, especially artistically. Hold onto your butt because vol 2 goes even further.

Sounds silly, but I kind of fear recommending it, or at least feel like I have to heavily caveat it. It's so accomplished it should be a must read on one level, but it's so different and unsparing compared to a lot of other books. I think it commands a lot of reader engagement, maybe more than folks are used to, I don't know.

Slam started off so well but it seems like one of those books that just die off. Issues 5 - 8 have all been cancelled by Boom

Damn, really? I really liked that book. I thought they were at least going to commit to two arcs.

Yup and now Boom is dead to me. Not much of a loss though since most of their shit seems to be written for 12 year olds.

They will always be king as long as they publish Giant Days, which is easily my favorite book.

mreddie

Guys, admit it, if you had shrinking powers, you would try that too.

I think the Ant-Man film actually had that scene in the script.

ElNarez

Banned
Guys, admit it, if you had shrinking powers, you would try that too.

I think the Ant-Man film actually had that scene in the script.

no I wouldn't

that's a ticket to getting crushed to death in a moist hell

what the fuck is wrong with people I swear

That should have been our title

I just want to know why he is called Mister Fantastic
4OHRU.png

Someone asked Stan Lee once:
VF: In the Kevin Smith movie Mallrats, Jason Lee asked you a question that has crossed every serious comic fan's mind at least once in his life. You dismissed it at the time, calling it a "superhero secret." Are you finally ready to answer Lee's question?
SL: Remind me.

VF: "Is the Thing's dork made out of orange rock like the rest of his body?"
SL: I never gave it a thought. I guess common sense would say it was made of orange rock too, but I always thought it was more interesting to think about Reed Richards. As you know, he had the ability to stretch, and sexually, that would seem to be a great asset in many areas.

The thing with Pretty Deadly is that it read HORRIBLY month to month. Brutal. It was painful for me. On the one hand, I would really enjoy it. That art, unf! But given the storytelling style, it should have been an OGN. It's all like poetic and mysterious. It asks you to lean in and pay close attention. Sit and be thoughtful with the characters. Then you put it down and pick up the next issue 4 weeks later and all the threads have fallen away. Easily the worst experience I've had trying to follow a story month to month.

Okay, there has to be a bundle somewhere. CMX EU best sellers currently:
1. Detective Comics #957
2. Pathfinder #7
3. Pathfinder #6
4. Pathfinder #3
5. Pathfinder #5
6. Pathfinder #4
7. Pathfinder #2
8. Pathfinder #1
9. Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time: Eye of the World #4
10. Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time: Eye of the World #5

Status