• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kyrie Irving wants to be traded from the Cavs LeBron blindsided

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
ESPN

Kyrie Irving is ready to end his run with the Cleveland Cavaliers, as league sources told ESPN that the guard has asked the team to trade him.

The request came last week and was made to Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert. Irving has expressed that he wants to play in a situation where he can be more of a focal point and that he no longer wants to play alongside LeBron James, sources said.

James was informed of Irving's request and was blindsided and disappointed, sources said. Other members of the team have learned of Irving's intentions in recent days as well.

RDreamer

Makes sense. He got his ring. Why stay in fucking Cleveland especially when they might not be that able to drop the Warriors in the next few years. Get to a better market.

Kettch

That's surprising. Irving got to be a play maker quite a lot in the finals games that I watched.

It's Love I would expect to want out, he barely got to touch the ball.

kazinova

Thank goodness we got that one win. I'd be in the long line at the ledge right now if it weren't for that.

As it stands I'm just shaking my head as that organization circles the drain. But realistically what can any do to challenge GS without players coordinating ending up all on the same team for intentionally low contracts?

Shruggie

NYR

Wait a season and the team is yours. Bit of a bitch move considering he sucked in the playoffs.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Woj reporting Kyrie wants to go to the Spurs.

20170721_16190357b0m.png

Fury451

Banned
We should've been transitioning to him taking a focal role already.

If he waits till Lebron leaves as a free agent, he will be the focal. Weird timing to do this now.

NYR

Wow, did not see this one coming. Can't Kyrie just wait a year when LeBron leaves, he'll have the Cavs all to himself.
This is exactly what they'll do, I bet. They will trade LeBron before they trade Kyrie, LeBron is already gone, especially now, why lose both and go back to being the worst team in the league.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I wonder what he is thinking. By himself, he won't immediately make another get to the finals.

There's no where else that's better. He must really hate Cleveland.

Might as well include what I posted in the NBA thread

I don't entirely trust Windhorst's reporting on anything, let alone this. The bit about Kyrie not wanting to play with LeBron any longer is entirely inconsistent with everything Kyrie has said about loving playing with LeBron. (Years back, before LBJ returned to Cleveland, Windhorst reported things about Irving where Kyrie essentially said Windhorst was making things up, couldn't be further from the truth. [Edit: here])

That said, if Kyrie either knows or simply has a strong belief that LeBron will leave next summer, it makes sense to ask for a trade now because fat chance the Cavs will cut him loose next summer if and when LeBron bolts. He has a better chance of landing somewhere this summer while the Cavs believe they might still be able to influence LeBron to stay.

I can believe he asked for a trade, it makes sense if LeBron has a high likelihood of leaving. I don't believe he doesn't want to play with LeBron, and I don't believe LeBron is "blindsided."

And this is why you never kick the can down the road in terms of being competitive when you're on the cusp.

Dynasties can crumble fast. Toronto, Boston, and Washington gonna come out hungry to beat Cle for HFA.

Tall4Life

Might as well include what I posted in the NBA thread

I can believe he asked for a trade, it makes sense if LeBron has a high likelihood of leaving. I don't believe he doesn't want to play with LeBron, and I don't believe LeBron is "blindsided."
Woj qualified the rumor as well that he wants to go to the Spurs. It's legitimate.

This is exactly what they'll do, I bet. They will trade LeBron before they trade Kyrie, LeBron is already gone, especially now, why lose both and go back to being the worst team in the league.

LeBron has a no-trade clause, so he'd have to waive that in any potential trade. Although I agree with you, it probably would be more wise to just move LeBron before he leaves for nothing, I highly doubt that will happen. Cleveland probably believes (irrationally) they've got a chance to keep him after next season.

The "focal point" bit is from Brian Windhorst, who is barely an upgrade from Chris Broussard.

In general, maybe, but Windhorst is tapped into the Cavs pretty well. Then again, maybe Windhorst is just getting the Cavs' spin on Kyrie's request to leave.

Kyrie is more dangerous to GSW on multiple teams other than CLE. CLE as is presents zero threat.
The only team where this statement is true is Spurs since they can cover his awful defense. No elite team has the cap space to get him though.

Warriors broke the Cavs so much, both Lebron & Kyrie want to leave.

Top Bottom