• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega talks Shenmue's Future in Famitsu

Najaf

nilbog21 said:
shenmue 3 on iphone!!

I'd play some Shenmue 3 on an iphone. As long as I get to see the story concluded, I don't care what format it takes on. I always thought that a Shenmue 3 graphic novel would be slick and sell well to boot. One can dream, right?

Mama Robotnik said:
In terms of financing, could Sega not make "Shenmue III" using the Megaman IX approach, having the game made for a Dreamcast-esque engine with less expensive assets?

I know people want a 1080p surround sound internet-co-op behemoth, but in terms of funding and audience, this may not be feasable.

But that's the Shenmue way! Suzuki or no!

That's just crate.

:lol :lol :lol

How was this gem missed?

:lol

Well, Microsoft isn't going to be stupid enough to moneyhat Shenmue again. Nintendo is too wise with their money to do it.

Sony seems to have bankrolled Heavy Rain, which is certainly just as stupid as bankrolling a Shenmue game, so they're probably the ones to appeal to if you guys really want your Suzuki-less Shenmue sequel.

Segata Sanshiro said:
:lol

Well, Microsoft isn't going to be stupid enough to moneyhat Shenmue again. Nintendo is too wise with their money to do it.

Sony seems to have bankrolled Heavy Rain, which is certainly just as stupid as bankrolling a Shenmue game, so they're probably the ones to appeal to if you guys really want your Suzuki-less Shenmue sequel.

Well hey, Nintendo greenlighted other smaller games. Not that I expect this game to come out ever though.

slit

Najaf said:
I'd play some Shenmue 3 on an iphone. As long as I get to see the story concluded, I don't care what format it takes on. I always thought that a Shenmue 3 graphic novel would be slick and sell well to boot. One can dream, right?

If it's an absurd psychic sex dream, then yes.

Bel Marduk said:
Well hey, Nintendo greenlighted other smaller games. Not that I expect this game to come out ever though.
Nintendo isn't going to fund anything unless there's at least a reasonable expectation of profit. There is no reasonable expectation of profit with this series.

Barnzini

Neo Member
Najaf said:

I'd settle for a graphic novel that gives some closure to the series for sure.

Make it happen Sega plz.

At this point all I want is a graphic novel / manga. But as long as Sega keeps teasing the prospect of another game, that too is out of the question. In truth the only way for us to ever know the rest of the story is for Sega to die before Yu Suzuki does.

Kibs

Just stop getting our hopes up already :(

Knowing Sega's recent track record - the 'best' that may come out of this, is some XBLA ports (which would be awesome, but) .... done by Backbone.

The Spoony Hou said:
ShenMue Kids.

Sounds fucking awesome, actually.
watchmen-babies.jpg

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
TacticalFox88 said:
Translation:You fuckers won't buy it so we're not making it.
They should apply detailed market research and release Shenmue: Searching Memories which would encompass everything casual gamers want out of Shenmue. A rail shooter.

Smash88

Banned
KuwabaraTheMan said:
Iwata, get on the phone.

If you want hardcore games to embrace the Wii, be remembered as "the man who saved Shenmue".

No. I want an HD version.

I'm not trying to be an ass, but I would rather have an awesome looking game to go with the great gameplay.

Let me in said:
The million dollar question is if Yu Suzuki would be involved. Don't they have him staring at a wall somewhere?
No, he's retired. Left SEGA last summer sometime, now relaxing at home watching TV and tending his garden.

M3d10n

InfiniteNine said:
They could always redo the engine, and then release the game as a complete trilogy on one disc.
I recall Shenmue I & II were quite expensive, probably even by today's standards. The budget for a 3rd installment would far exceed the ceilings for downloadable/collection/retro games.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
This strikes me as being just like Kojima talking about Zone of The Enders 3.

I don't expect either to happen.

StoOgE said:
Why Chu Chu Rocket, Ooga Booga, Propeller Arena and Outrigger weren't ported to XBLA/PSN still totally amazes me.

Maybe VOOT bombed. I don't know.

But Sega should be porting the fuck out of AM2/AM3 arcade games to the system.

OH well, I love Sega.. and it wouldn't be Sega if they made smart decisions. So maybe Shenmue does have a chance.

Last year it was Japans top selling XBLA game. Now I know that's the smallest market but add in whatever sales it got from the other territories then it probably did OK at least. There must be some sales data out there.

Pachael

Barnzini said:
I'd settle for a graphic novel that gives some closure to the series for sure.

Make it happen Sega plz.

Heck, I'll pay $60 for a translated script for the rest of the series.

I'd also probably pay another $60 for a translated Matsuno FFXII script.

It would work well on the Wii, Quicktime Action events or w/e you call those things work well on the Wii. Like button presses in Resident Evil rail shooters.

Zhengi

Come on Apple, get it on the Iphone!!

:D

j/k

Actually, I don't care for what system it comes out for. I just want the third part. In fact, they should package all 3 together so that we may have all 3 games on one system.

Lard

Banned
Zhengi said:
Actually, I don't care for what system it comes out for. I just want the third part. In fact, they should package all 3 together so that we may have all 3 games on one system.

That is a good point.

But as other people pointed out - it's not Shenmue without Yu Suzuki.

wRATH2x

Banned
It would not be Shenmue without Yu Suzuki or bad voice acting. Remember that people.

I'm wondering why won't they rerelease 1&2 and then give us 3? I mean other than financial reasons.

Sloane

Banned
Dabanton said:
Nintendo? :lol Not a chance.
Well, they could call it Shenmue 3: Ryo & Mario, put a few Mario mini-games in the arcades, sell 20 million copies, and everybody would be happy.

If Yu Suzuki isn't on board then SEGA shouldn't bother wasting their money. It would be like the NiGHTS game. Making it for the sake of making it without putting in all the necessary effort - then wondering why all the fans who demanded it don't give a shit about it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
it would have been kinda funny if the the OP was blank

Broman1978

KuwabaraTheMan said:
Iwata, get on the phone.

If you want hardcore games to embrace the Wii, be remembered as "the man who saved Shenmue".

HELL NO!!!

I want a HD Shenmue on Playstation 3!
A 3-BD set
Disc 1- Shenmue remake with better controls and and better textures
Disc 2- Shenmue 2 remake with better controls and better textures
Disc 3- Shenmue 3 with awesome graphics
<3

Sysgen

Seems like the perfect game for a chapter series if they're concerned about profitability. At this point I'd pay $30 a chapter.

Kittonwy

Banned
Mama Robotnik said:
In terms of financing, could Sega not make "Shenmue III" using the Megaman IX approach, having the game made for a Dreamcast-esque engine with less expensive assets?

I know people want a 1080p surround sound internet-co-op behemoth, but in terms of funding and audience, this may not be feasable.

That approach would be suicide.

There is no feasible way to resurrect the Shenmue series, it's dead, people need to let it go.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Sega's getting really good at the cockteasing lately, between this and Needlemouse.

I suppose they came through with localizing Yakuza 3, though, so anything's possible...

Kittonwy said:

There is no feasible way to resurrect the Shenmue series, it's dead, people need to let it go.
It depends.

If it was released on the PS3/360 in that form? Yeah, total suicide.

Released on the Wii? It'd be one of the prettier games on the platform.:lol

Dennis

Banned
Kittonwy said:

There is no such thing as a 'dead' series in games.

Fallout was gone for what? a decade? And then we got Fallout 3.

ITT people try to be cool by saying those who hope for a new Shenmue should just let go.

To clarify, I think the chance of getting a new Shenmue is pretty small, but it is not zero.

Broman1978 said:
HELL NO!!!

I want a HD Shenmue on Playstation 3!
A 3-BD set
Disc 1- Shenmue remake with better controls and and better textures
Disc 2- Shenmue 2 remake with better controls and better textures
Disc 3- Shenmue 3 with awesome graphics
<3

As long as people are saying this sort of stuff, Shenmue is never going to return. Why the hell would Sega throw an gigantic amount of money after a series no one, but a little group of hardcore people, care for? The first games never sold amazingly well, and they've tried to make them relevant to the western audience with the Xbox re-release.

There is no reason for Sega to even consider doing such an insane stunt as the above for the Shemue IP. If anything, releasing it on Wii would make a bit more sense, since production cost could be kept lower and actually give the game a chance of becoming more then a fanboy dream.

Fuzz Rez

Banned
I would hope re-release of Shenmue I&II. I have the orginal copies but when ever I trie to play them my Dreamcast dies. I have lost two Dreamcasts while playing Shenmue :lol It's like freaking curse or something. Don't really need Shenmue III and reason for that is that they would just probably make it just an another open world game.

Vinterbird said:
As long as people are saying this sort of stuff, Shenmue is never going to return. Why the hell would Sega throw an gigantic amount of money after a series no one, but a little group of hardcore people, care for? The first games never sold amazingly well, and they've tried to make them relevant to the western audience with the Xbox re-release.

There is no reason for Sega to even consider doing such an insane stunt as the above for the Shemue IP. If anything, releasing it on Wii would make a bit more sense, since production cost could be kept lower and actually give the game a chance of becoming more then a fanboy dream.
As I said earlier, all they'd have to do is fix some of the technical issues (the strange pop in problems) and you'd have one of the Wii's prettiest 3rd party endeavors.

If they really wanted to do something with the series and they really cared then they would bring out shenmue and shenmue 2 as wii games with slightly (if at all) upgraded graphics and wii controls. If the game was going to have any kind of chance for success or even just to break even it needs as many attractive gimmicks as possible.

If they put it on wii they could basically use the same engine and save a bundle of cash.

It will never happen

Top Bottom