• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No.9 Backers are starting to receive the physical edition and oh boy...

Beartruck

This is your reminder that the reason Capcom is the way they are this generation is because Keiji ran them into the ground last generation before skipping out on the company.

Servbot24

Banned
Calling it an empty box is really misleading. It's really just a "My First Retro Game Box" crafting set.

An empty box would have been better than a flat piece of cardboard, the piece of cardboard is even more of a slap in the face

Think about that

Sending an empty box would be better than what they actually sent

Wereroku

But didn't those backers already got a code? So they got an extra code?

Yes everyone got a code when the game released. The only thing that came with an additional copy was the USB sticks.

An empty box would have been better than a flat piece of cardboard, the piece of cardboard is even more of a slap in the face

Think about that

Sending an empty box would be better than what they actually sent

The fucking description says it's for a physical box. All copies of the game were digital until they got the publishing deal.

Wereroku

The 7 days mockup has better lighting than the final game.

So you admit you lied by saying they claimed that picture would be the released game? The initial videos are still pretty close to the final game.

Surely this is an exaggeration, but could you provide a link?

There is no link this is just hate on the man for stuff he didn't do.

I'd say shipping it disassembled is a good idea, makes damage during transit less likely. The rest of it, though...

What's the rest of it? Most likely the manual will fit the NES box. They probably just made the Famicom manual and NES manual the same size.

Jezan

Yeah it wasn't the best game in the world and had it's problems but it played well and was pretty fun for a play through. This belief that it was hot trash like Big Rigs or something is exaggeration at it's best.

You should check out the star citizen kickstarter if you want to see some delays.
Wow, do you work for Inafune?

You are the clear example of "All's well that ends well". Did you forget everything that happened ?

Wereroku

Wow, do you work for Inafune?

You are the clear example of "All's well that ends well". Did you forget everything that happened ?

No I just don't understand the hate around people receiving the rewards they were promised. The game gets shit on constantly by people who never bothered to play it. Yeah the kickstarter had problems but saying they lied about the box is a false. I probably put more money in this than most people on neogaf but I gave the game a fair chance. Also yes it sucks that they delayed these so much but I'm not going to shit on it just to shit on it.

Holy **** is this actually even legal? e:

Those************** and their wording really got them out of this.

u7ZCm6I.png

Wow, dat fine print tho.

It's always been known the box wouldn't include a physical copy of the game. I specifically remember thinking during the Kickstarter that this reward was a massive waste. A box with no physical game. Yay.

The other issues with it are pretty funny and sad though.

Wereroku

Wow, dat fine print tho.

There is no fine print around this. Every time they wrote or talked about it they said it was for a physical box only.

I'm sure the man's work on high profile failures like Dark Void, Lost Planet 2 and Bionic Commando 2009 really helped their bottom line.

Just going to ignore his contributions on game like Dead Rising and Lost Planet 1? Seems real fair to through out the good games to fit your agenda.

This is your reminder that the reason Capcom is the way they are this generation is because Keiji ran them into the ground last generation before skipping out on the company.
Maybe a couple of years ago but Capcom now has no excuse to keep acting the way they do.

NinjaMouse

Gold Member
I'm not really understanding the reactions in this thread. Probably because I haven't been following this whole kickstarter thing

but

The tier does just say box. Not physical game
and it does seem like a good idea to keep the box flat so it isn't damaged in shipping
the manual doesn't fit that is amusing

soooo

reaction.gif?

Were backers expecting a premium plastic box with a physical copy of the game or something?

Yeah, I backed this at $60 fully expecting an empty game box. The complaining in this thread really is just jumping aboard a (justified) hate train. I do, however, take issue with the fact that the damn manual doesn't fit in the box. I really just thought, "why bother", since the entire thing continues to be phoned in. I'm also quite annoyed at never getting the USB drive shaped like a Famicom cart like they promised as an addition to the backer rewards.

Inafune's legacy really is pretty stained after this whole mess, and it's a shame. I, along with many others, I'm sure, kind of considered him a legend and contributor to retro gaming history. It really sucks to have him essentially kick himself off that pedestal this way.

Futaleufu

So you admit you lied by saying they claimed that picture would be the released game? The initial videos are still pretty close to the final game.

There is no link this is just hate on the man for stuff he didn't do.

I lied? WTF is wrong with you?

When you start a kickstarter and post a mockup highres 2D image of your game protagonist in an action shot by someone who used to have a reputation making solid platformers, most people will asume that's what the game production is aiming for and that the final product will attempt to resemble that.

I've only backed two games on Kickstarter so far. Project Phoenix (MIA, possibly KIA) and Shantae: Half-Genie Hero (released). I felt really bad that I could not contribute to Mighty No. 9 at the time because of funds since Mega Man fans were going through a rough patch.

But now? Whew!

I can see the practicality of not assembling the box beforehand, because that would increase cost of shipping since you would have to ship the box...in another box.

However the manual not fitting in it is pretty absurd.

Wereroku

When you start a kickstarter and post a mockup highres 2D image of your game protagonist in an action shot by someone who used to have a reputation making solid platformers, most people will asume that's what the game production is aiming for and that the final product will attempt to resemble that.

Yes and then when they release video footage of the game running and say this is what our game will look like you then go by that. They had actual footage of the game running within the active kickstarter period. I remember it pretty well since people started bitching about how it didn't look like the concept art then as well. They never stated the game would be exactly like the concept art.

He is obviously trying to rewrite history here.

You are the one rewriting history. Feel free to look through the campaign it's all archived.

Aren't the 3DS/Vita versions still supposed to be in development?

From the June 15 Kickstarter update:
1. Hand Held versions They are not being cancelled, we are still in the process of porting. The porting had to be put on hold for a while due to the other versions being delayed and the recent adjustment we had in comcept. However, everything is back on track now. The developer restarted the porting process in early May, and we estimate to release them within 2017 (it could be earlier, but it’s hard to estimate a more precise date at this point). We will update on this when we have more information.

alf717

I'm confused. Someone paid $60 for a box got said box and is complaining? What were they expecting? It still came with a digital copy of the game right?

jackdoe

Technically, the Kickstarter promised an empty box, so that's what they're getting. However, they also promised a "Full Color Manual" that comes INSIDE the box and that oversized manual looks pretty monochrome to me.

Wereroku

I'm confused. Someone paid $60 for a box got said box and are complaining? What were they expecting? It still came with a digital copy of the game right?

Yes people are complaining just to shit on the game some more at this point. This was never hidden.

Technically, the Kickstarter promised an empty box, so that's what they're getting. However, they also promised a "Full Color Manual" that comes INSIDE the box and that oversized manual looks pretty monochrome to me.

They never promised it would fit in the box. And since no one has taken pictures of the manual we don't know if it is color or not.

BasilZero

Wow

So its not an actual physical copy of the game but the physical box...but not only that, you HAVE to assemble the box......talk about adding insult to injury....

Edit: Though it technically says its a box...so, its user error I suppose. But weird that you gotta assemble the box though....

AudioTechnica

Neo Member
Holy shit is this actually even legal? e:

Those fuckers and their wording really got them out of this.

u7ZCm6I.png

I'm not sure but it might not legally be a box unless it's actually assembled. It's like if I agreed to sell you a computer but just shipped you all the smashed up parts of a computer and expected you to assemble it yourself.

I mean, I could give you any piece of cardboard and you could find a way to make it into a box if you tried hard enough, so backers might have legal grounds if they wanted.

jackdoe

Yes people are complaining just to shit on the game some more at this point. This was never hidden.

They never promised it would fit in the box. And since no one has taken pictures of the manual we don't know if it is color or not.
"This will be shipped to you with the instruction manual already inside". That sounds like a promise that it would fit in the box.

vid

I'm still confused by these posts... the image you're talking about was pretty clearly labeled as a "concept" piece. The Kickstarter page makes reference to it being a 2.5D game multiple times. They released a video before the campaign was over showing a 2.5 game in action.

I understand someone not liking the game or its art style, but even the slightest bit of scrutiny of the Kickstarter pitch makes it clear what you're backing.

Project Phoenix (MIA, possibly KIA)

Boy, you want to talk about actual scams? I feel bad for my roommate who pledged deeply for this one just because it said "Final Fantasy" a few times in passing. I remember reading over the pitch for that one and having no idea what they were trying to sell... and it seems like they didn't know either.

I backed the game at the $60 point like a fool for the "physical edition", but I knew it'd just be a box and a manual. I figured maybe a DRM-Free Disc version of the game too, but whatever. I knew I was buying a box and getting a digital download for the game.

It's however utterly insane to me that the Instruction Manual doesn't even fit in the box.

What the fuck.

v1perz53

The only part of this that is worthy of comment is that the manual doesn't fit in the box. Everything else is either regular or optimal. Why would you ship a box assembled as opposed to flat if it was made as a collectors item, and would only contain a manual at most? And the tier was very clear that it was $60 for a cardboard box, a manual and a game code, no physical game.

Rob2K19

LMAO The joke that keeps on joking.

So glad I realized Gunvolt would be our one true Rockman successor when it was announced.

Wereroku

"This will be shipped to you with the instruction manual already inside". That sounds like a promise that it would fit in the box.

Yeah my bad didn't see that part of the description at the bottom. Clearly something went wrong with the famicom box. It will be interesting to see how the NES version compares. I am guessing they used the same layout for both and just translated one the NES one to japanese.

Really? There is a huge gap of quality between the "7 days" build shown during the KS and the first demo released way after the KS ended.

Going to just act like you weren't saying they were claiming the original concept art was going to be the game now since you have been proven wrong?

So? It still pretty much resembles the final version we got. The downgrades to the lighting were made to accommodate the older platforms but it still gives an accurate picture of the final game.

Futaleufu

Yes and then when they release video footage of the game running and say this is what our game will look like you then go by that. They had actual footage of the game running within the active kickstarter period. I remember it pretty well since people started bitching about how it didn't look like the concept art then as well. They never stated the game would be exactly like the concept art.

Really? There is a huge gap of quality between the "7 days" build shown during the KS and the first demo released way after the KS ended.

Sacul64GC

Banned
Yeah, I backed this at $60 fully expecting an empty game box. The complaining in this thread really is just jumping aboard a (justified) hate train. I do, however, take issue with the fact that the damn manual doesn't fit in the box. I really just thought, "why bother", since the entire thing continues to be phoned in. I'm also quite annoyed at never getting the USB drive shaped like a Famicom cart like they promised as an addition to the backer rewards.

Inafune's legacy really is pretty stained after this whole mess, and it's a shame. I, along with many others, I'm sure, kind of considered him a legend and contributor to retro gaming history. It really sucks to have him essentially kick himself off that pedestal this way.

Wait I thought we were getting the USB in the 60$ version?

Top Bottom