• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GafStarter: interesting game projects on Kickstarter & co.

Corto

It looks like this kind of funding won't be viable for future projects on the level of Double Fine Adventure and Wasteland. Which is a shame.

I don't think this affects the Kickstarter model though. The Kickstarter is not an investment as there is no financial return to the pledgers. I might be wrong though. I hope not. Obsidian needs a multi-million dollars Kickstarter for the game I expect them to create with this.

NichM

Banned
Yeah, ignore this. I heard about it from a developer friend who was worried, but he looked into it more and told me it's nothing to worry about for mostly the reasons you mentioned.

Acosta

I don't think this affects the Kickstarter model though. The Kickstarter is not an investment as there is no financial return to the pledgers. I might be wrong though. I hope not. Obsidian needs a multi-million dollars Kickstarter for the game I expect them to create with this.

Yeah, I don't think Kickstarter is affected by this as it´s not investment, it´s basically a donation with rewards.

I've just started a campaign for a fighting game that is pretty GAF inspired:

I'd love to get some feedback!

Building a fighting game single handedly without real experience does not promise it will be solid, balanced and fun to play.

Also asking for such an amount of money to fund a browser based game with just 3 characters is something you should be able to pull off on your own anyways, just check out some fighting games on Newgrounds. Sorry :/

SparkTR

A zombie survival sandbox Kickstarter has appeared called The Dead Linger! Honestly I'm surprised it took this long.

They're asking for $60,000 to build an alpha which will be available in 3-6 months. Honestly, their pitch was decent and I'd love for it to become a reality (it sounds like a first-person zombie themed rogue-like with multiplayer), but I'm always wary of unscrupulous people who want to take my money and run.

Their last game was Detour, a small Steam game that got middling reviews. It seemed like a nice concept with a poor execution. The devs are pretty active on their forums and seem motivated and excited about making games. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, I'll back out the minute an alarm goes off though.

Metallix87

8 hours left to go for Feeble's Fable, with roughly $28,000 to go...

It won't make it at this rate...

Is there any way we can spread the word quickly and drum up some last minute support?

Mind sharing? Just curious, would love to see some number crunching, cross comparison, etc.

Right now, it's nothing in depth. I'm working on making it much more expansive, but as of this moment, here is what I have:

kickGAF.jpg

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Feeble's Fable didn't make it and left a disappointed final message. I think they would have done better if they did more to talk about what their game actually was beyond showing how nice the art was. Oh well.

In recent days, Spike and Americana Dawn both got funded.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
... and Americana Dawn got funded.

I wanted to say thank you for making this happen for my friend - the moment I posted it on GAF she noticed a huge surge of pledges (though, that may have been just a coincidence, as it was also featured on indiegames.com a few days later) Nevertheless, thanks to everyone for nearly doubling the goal amount! :D

epmode

Starlight Inception "We plan on launching our Kickstarter campaign for Starlight Inception tomorrow (April 3rd) at 9:00 AM Central Standard Time"

http://eschatch.com/news/news.html
The Kickstarter is live. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/732317316/starlight-inceptiontm?ref=live

I really don't like this bit:

Pledge $30 or more
8 Backers
Special Edition of Starlight Inception, including digital game soundtrack, all launch DLC, and all previous reward tiers.

Use Kickstarter to avoid this bullshit, not perpetuate it.

Toppot

Molecat should be tried again, the market is now much better for it, especially given that this game actually has a playable demo, most games on kickstarter are just ideas...

I backed it before and I'd back it again!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Is anyone against the idea of opening a new Kickstarter thread where we can collect all interesting Kickstarters in the OP, with possible links to the GAF thread? I am "this" close to doing it. The general discussion/mention on Kickstarters can be transferred to that thread too then of course, so we dont have 2 general Kickstarter threads.

MRORANGE

Is anyone against the idea of opening a new Kickstarter thread where we can collect all interesting Kickstarters in the OP, with possible links to the GAF thread? I am "this" close to doing it. The general discussion/mention on Kickstarters can be transferred to that thread too then of course, so we dont have 2 general Kickstarter threads.

I've started working on it into a more clearer thread:

RSwek.png

Central thread listing Kickstarter projects, feel free to post new projects here.
Know about a new project? post here or send a link to the thread.

Top Bottom