• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Covenant - The Prologue footage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vectorman

Banned
Goo drop will probably be a flashback during the David experimentation reveal. All that Shaw stuff before it will be cut in favor of revealing her dead/experimented on body or her being alive so something like that.
David sorta had a weird thing with Shaw especially with him watching her dreams while she was in cyro. It's weird cause he seems to point out her kindness towards him. Would seem fucked up to turn against her especially after he praised her for giving him back his body and everything. Then again, like Ash, maybe his programming is just hardwired to preserve alien life and Shaw is just expendable no matter how kind.

jmdajr

I do wonder if Ridley's going to attempt solidifying how Queens work in these stories with one of these movies. Queens were Cameron's attempt at somewhat explaining the existence of these things (to a point) but now that Ridley's entire mission with these movies is to make understandable the origin of fanged lovecraftian penisbeasts from the depths of space, and he's already established these things are 100% bioweapons as created by an android experimenting with a godlike race's lab equipment - how do you fit the Queen in there?

We have eggs and facehuggers. Is he going to actually address how those two things exist in this film in a way that establishes the Queen pre-dates them, and laid that egg?

Who knows, but Ridley can take my money.

Gravidee

What the hell was that?!

She magically puts him back together again (did she even take his body with her?) then they kick around the alien ship and 'learn their ways' which, of course, is really easy because the hack writers have no intention of working around it.

His body was left on the other dude's ship so she probably went to retrieve it before leaving. As for the learning their ways stuff, David already knew their language and fooled around with their technology during the events of Prometheus. It would be pretty straightforward to figure out how things work from there, since the interface of the ship should be the same as the other one.

PowderedToast

that's the one thing I don't want to happen :(
she should just sleep and be the main character again in the next movie

as one of the few people who liked prometheus, I enjoyed this prologue a lot
this was how they dealt with ripley's character in the first alien 3 script by william gibson and hicks became the protagonist instead. that said, while they've been revisiting old discarded concepts since ridley came back I can't see a reason for it happening here w shaw. but who knows.

I've long come to terms with the fact these won't be the alien sequels i want, but this was pretty cool regardless. the series has flirted with showing full blown civilisations for ages, so it was nice to finally see one.

Patison

I saw 15 minutes from first act as well...and I'm not impressed, especially when compared with what came before it (original Alien movie).

Cinematography and camera work are amazing and they aren't afraid to have shots that last longer than 3 seconds but CGI effects (Alien, its attack) look so fucking cheap now and I can't imagine they'll hold up in 40 years time. Original is still outstanding and I've felt legitimately grossed out by it.

I hope sound wasn't final, super generic and lacked any kind of atmosphere.

Ship design - computer screens look nice, but there's absolutely no sense of place, no immersion. Original felt like living, breathing organism (and opening shots highlighted that!), this one is bland spaceship no. 4567. Maybe this gets better.

Oh, in those 15 minutes characters managed to make at least 2 decisions that didn't make any sense, unless they are all androids.

At this point, I'm just hoping for cool popcorn flick.

David sorta had a weird thing with Shaw especially with him watching her dreams while she was in cyro. It's weird cause he seems to point out her kindness towards him. Would seem fucked up to turn against her especially after he praised her for giving him back his body and everything. Then again, like Ash, maybe his programming is just hardwired to preserve alien life and Shaw is just expendable no matter how kind.

Well Shaw's whole goal was the find out why the Engineers wanted to kill us and David goes scorched Earth on them while she was asleep. I dunno how she's going to take that, maybe he spares her because of her kindness but I'm doubting that's what happens.

I can buy that he bombs one of the engineer colonies or something but the homeworld? Presumably the center of their government and military, which would be appropriately defended by their military, including war ships? For a race so much more advanced than us, even if the android figured out their tech, it would have been hard for him to just be left alone to land and then bomb the place, no? And let's assume he does succeed in sneaking in and bio bombing them, are the no other ships in orbit/the system able to figure out what's going on and shoot him out of the sky?

I can buy that he bombs one of the engineer colonies or something but the homeworld? Presumably the center of their government and military, which would be appropriately defended by their military, including war ships? For a race so much more advanced than us, even if the android figured out their tech, it would have been hard for him to just be left alone to land and then bomb the place, no? And let's assume he does succeed in sneaking in and bio bombing them, are the no other ships in orbit/the system able to figure out what's going on and shoot him out of the sky?

Not if he knows how to talk to them. You are also under the belief that they have a similar or same social setup to how humans do. They may have no reason to ever fear themselves.

Syriel

I do wonder if Ridley's going to attempt solidifying how Queens work in these stories with one of these movies. Queens were Cameron's attempt at somewhat explaining the existence of these things (to a point) but now that Ridley's entire mission with these movies is to make understandable the origin of fanged lovecraftian penisbeasts from the depths of space, and he's already established these things are 100% bioweapons as created by an android experimenting with a godlike race's lab equipment - how do you fit the Queen in there?

We have eggs and facehuggers. Is he going to actually address how those two things exist in this film in a way that establishes the Queen pre-dates them, and laid that egg?

We make missiles and bombs in factories.

If the Aliens are bio-weapons, maybe David just decided to be more efficient and built the Queen as a factory of sorts. This way he doesn't have to oversee the process himself.

Leynos

And this in an antiquated war ship more than 2000-years-old. No one on this planet, or in the surrounding system thought this unusual, or dangerous?

I can see that (and it would make sense) but I'd also like the idea of queens sort of evolving out of his design without his forseeing it. A "Life finds a way" moment maybe? "Oh. This is 100% out of my control now."

Meet the new god same as the old god. Which is where I feel Ridley's going with this anyway (I still think this whole venture ends with David as the jockey on LV-426)

I can see that (and it would make sense) but I'd also like the idea of queens sort of evolving out of his design without his forseeing it. A "Life finds a way" moment maybe? "Oh. This is 100% out of my control now."

Meet the new god same as the old god. Which is where I feel Ridley's going with this anyway (I still think this whole venture ends with David as the jockey on LV-426)
I think so as well.

Melon Husk

Oh, in those 15 minutes characters managed to make at least 2 decisions that didn't make any sense, unless they are all androids.

At this point, I'm just hoping for cool popcorn flick.
Prometheus 2it is, then? Sigh... I'll still probably watch it.
I can't be let down if I expect nothing.

Okay, I'm sorry but some of you haters are really pissing me off so let's fucking do this shall we:

-The parts with David and Shaw interacting on the Dreadnought with the voice-over is not in the movie. The movie opens with the last bit of footage of David bombing the engineer homeworld.

-Covenant takes place on the Engineer homeworld only.

-Yes actually, Shaw did bring David's body along and the reason she fixes him is because she needs him. He picked up on thier language and learned how to control their ship. He guides her through it and even says, "They made is as simple as possible."

-David is a fucking advanced AI, who picks up on shit pretty damn quick. You don't think he would learn a literal fuck-ton after 10 years aboard the Dreadnought?

-Shaw knows David has issues but if you were in her situation, you would save and fix the know-it-all A.I. too. Besides the fact that she'd be fucked without him, She also has a good heart and David respects that about her. He even says no one has ever treated him like she does, not even his creator.

-And everyone saying how fucking dumb everyone acts in Prometheus and Covenant(which people haven't even fucking seen yet), just remember that Kane touches an Alien egg, they constantly split-up and Ripley goes back to save her fucking cat. This series was built with horror conventions in its acidic blood.

-Finally, and this is just my pride talking, I called the fact that Shaw becomes the first Queen Alien months ago in the Alien Covenant trailer 2 thread. It's pretty obvious that between the set-up in Prometheus of her hating herself for the fact that she can't make life and David's affection for her, that he will give her the gift of being able to give life. Just not the way she may have hoped. It mirrors what David did to Halloway in Prometheus when he straight asks him how far he would go before dropping the goo into his drink.

Sorry about all that but there is so much hate for this and I don't get it. It's the director of the original and best film in the franchise making the best looking Alien film since 1986 and all everyone can do is complain. I feel like I'm living in an alternate dimension or something.

gspec

The xenomorphs existed before the movie Prometheus. In the movie, there was an xenomorph painting on a wall or ceiling on the alien ship or facility.

-Finally, and this is just my pride talking, I called the fact that Shaw becomes the first Queen Alien months ago in the Alien Covenant trailer 2 thread

Was it revealed anywhere that this is actually a thing? We're just speculating as to how a queen might show up in this movie. So far as I can tell there's no evidence one has been folded into this movie at all, much less that Shaw IS one.

(which is... like... how)

The xenomorphs existed before the movie Prometheus. In the movie, there was an xenomorph painting on a wall or ceiling on the alien ship or facility.

Turns out that was a Deacon, I guess. Not a xenomorph. Which still doesn't really make any sense, but there you go.

Was it revealed anywhere that this is actually a thing? We're just speculating as to how a queen might show up in this movie. So far as I can tell there's no evidence one has been folded into this movie at all, much less that Shaw IS one.

(which is... like... how)

Turns out that was a Deacon, I guess. Not a xenomorph. Which still doesn't really make any sense, but there you go.

It's still just a guess but it's too poetic to dismiss. And how...really?

That wasn't a Xenomorph that was a Deacon, a fully grown version of what we saw at the end of the film.

Edit: beaten like a drum

It's still just a guess

Then you probably shouldn't be backbursting with applause for yourself just yet

And the how is due to the fact flat-out transforming Shaw into a queen is a level of weird beyond what this series has suggested. Like, turning a person into an egg is beyond the pale for some fans (Deck'ard once went full-bore apeshit on me for suggesting it was a cool idea) and this theory necessitates turning this:

noomi-rapace-shaw-prometheus.png

Into this:

latest

And I don't know that I'm seeing David being that advanced in genetics. And if he can just turn people into that, that's... that's fuckin' nuts.

Moff

didn't cameron make the queen up because he wanted a big baddie? why would scott introduce one?

I don't know how I'd feel about that

Erigu

That's like Jango Fett bumping his head: "see, that's why the Prometheus characters were all so fucking dumb: they take after their creators!"

-Shaw knows David has issues but if you were in her situation, you would save and fix the know-it-all A.I. too. Besides the fact that she'd be fucked without him.
Oh, let's not pretend Shaw is being smart, there. Or she wouldn't have put herself in that ridiculous situation to begin with.
"Should I wait to be rescued and tell people about that alien race that apparently (for some reason) wanted to annihilate us 2000 years ago? Nah, I should simply leave a hilariously vague warning, use another of those super-advanced alien ships, pray very hard that whatever infected my boyfriend won't kill me, and go find those aliens' homeworld to remind them that we're still around!"

-And everyone saying how fucking dumb everyone acts in Prometheus and Covenant(which people haven't even fucking seen yet), just remember that Kane touches an Alien egg, they constantly split-up and Ripley goes back to save her fucking cat.
As has been said a thousand times already since the release of Prometheus: those were space truckers completely out of their element, not top scientists who were meant to contact an unknown alien species.

And the how is due to the fact flat-out transforming Shaw into a queen is a level of weird beyond what this series has suggested. Like, turning a person into an egg is beyond the pale for some fans (Deck'ard once went full-bore apeshit on me for suggesting it was a cool idea) and this theory necessitates turning this:

Into this:

latest

And I don't know that I'm seeing David being that advanced in genetics. And if he can just turn people into that, that's... that's fuckin' nuts.

It was in jest bud, jesus.

Also, have you ever looked at the Giger artwork? She doesn't have to look like Cameron's queen to give birth to an alien brofessor.

http://www.cgsociety.org/CGSFeatures/CGSFeatureSpecial/custom_story/5894&page=1

didn't cameron make the queen up because he wanted a big baddie? why would scott introduce one?

I don't know how I'd feel about that

he kinda has to, now. David creates the xenomorph. We know the xenomorphs life cycle thanks to Cameron creating a queen (now that the Alien using organic material to transform things/people into eggs is out via Ridley cutting the scene from the original), so now, considering this entire series is all about taking vague, inexplicable "lore" and turning it into prequel fodder, he's gotta figure out a way to squeeze the queen into these movies somehow.

Unless he's planning on pushing ALIENS out of the canon. (such as it is)

It was in just bud, jesus.

what

And yeah, she's probably gotta look like the queen, because otherwise queens don't make any sense. (not that making sense is obviously a priority anymore)

Plus good luck explaining how a human body shoved out the eggs we see in the trailer.

Kazuhira

Holy shit,David is dropping the black goo bombs for real.
My biggest issue with the whole affair is why would she repair him after all the shit he did?

What other choice does she have? She will never reach the planet in her lifetime unless she uses stasis chamber,and someone needs to take care of the ship.

The reactions would be interesting.

"Oh, I don't consider that to be part of the story I'm telling. Fabulous movie, absolutely, yes. Great pace. Great movement. Visceral. Thrilling. But what James did on those movies, what Jimmy was going for... it just doesn't fit with this vision, you know? It's not where I see the series going. It was never my plan, you see. It's a good idea. But I'm using these films as an opportunity to get things back to the themes and ideas we had back then, you know?"

(Ashes cigar. Sips wine)

he kinda has to, now. David creates the xenomorph. We know the xenomorphs life cycle thanks to Cameron creating a queen (now that the Alien using organic material to transform things/people into eggs is out via Ridley cutting the scene from the original), so now, considering this entire series is all about taking vague, inexplicable "lore" and turning it into prequel fodder, he's gotta figure out a way to squeeze the queen into these movies somehow.

Unless he's planning on pushing ALIENS out of the canon. (such as it is)

what

And yeah, she's probably gotta look like the queen, because otherwise queens don't make any sense. (not that making sense is obviously a priority anymore)

Plus good luck explaining how a human body shoved out the eggs we see in the trailer.

I meant jest. You seem to have a hate-on for this already so I won't be reading your review man.

Vectorman

Banned
Kinda crazy how she ended up birthing a squid thing, but she gets away by getting a c-section and is still somehow pretty much ending up in the same situation except now she's possibly been turned into an alien queen and births xenos. That's some bad luck right there, Shaw.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

Into this:

latest

Not entirely. The first Alien movie did have the creature taking along some characteristics of the host. And the scrapped idea was one person being turned into an egg, the other the host. While the latter was cut and the former completely ignored by Cameron in favor of the Queen/Drone.

I could see something of that form making it into the film. Specifically, the characteristics of the host being transferred to the creature. Add in something about David wanting to fuck her or be more human to be with her. And you got yourself the Ridley Scifi script for Alien explaining the birth of the Queen. Explains why she is more intelligent and resources and whatever shit he feels like doing. Doesn't go against Aliens.

jett

D-Member
Ridley Scott seems to consider himself to be the master creator of all things Alien so I wouldn't be surprised if he retconned Aliens out of existence. Hell, he retconned his own movie in Prometheus.

-griffy-

Banned
Ridley Scott seems to consider himself to the master creator of all things Alien so I wouldn't be surprised if he retconned Aliens out of existence. Hell, he retconned his own movie in Prometheus.

Ridley Scott is the David of the Aliens franchise.

TaterTots

Banned
I enjoyed it and I want to know why the engineers decided to wipe out humanity. Will that ever be answered? Why did the engineer they woke up in Prometheus just bounce and not kill them, but tried to continue his mission? He was going to let them live but shit on Earth? Or was he going back to his home planet? That's the most confusing thing for me. The rest makes sense, but a lot of people in here are way over thinking and analyzing a sci fi movie lol.

Erigu

I don't think Shaw knew that David was the reason why Holloway got infected.
Not as far as we know, indeed.
So either she learned about that off-screen (David did appear to know what it was that infected Holloway, so... follow-up questions, perhaps?) and is somehow betting on the murderous android to not kill her off as well, or she still doesn't know what happened to Holloway exactly and is merely hoping those pesky alien germs will spare her during the entire journey.
Top scientist.

(Note that I kinda have to ignore the latter parts of Prometheus where the characters are suddenly super concerned about those urns of black goo ("OMG, an entire room of those urns, and they were heading for Earth, so logically it means that [...]"), because only David should have known that stuff was dangerous, at that point. That fucking movie, I swear...)

Moff

the alien 2 and 3 queen could always be explained by some rogue strain that had a queen
I always liked the egg morphing, it makes the xenomorphs just much more unpredictable and explains their natural aggressiveness and it's just generally a very creepy idea

but the signs seem to point at her becoming a queen, she already gave birth to one after all

I meant jest. You seem to have a hate-on for this already

I strongly disliked Prometheus because it was a poorly thought-out film, and Ridley Scott's worst storytelling tendencies were indulged to their fullest. I really liked the Martian however, so it's not as if he's incapable of still making good movies. He obviously can.

I'll be watching the thing hoping for a good film. That's not facetiousness or disingenuousness. It'll get a fair shot.

Ridley Scott is the David of the Aliens franchise.

oh shit

There's a throng of individuals running/moving to the center of the "arena" as David's ship docks. It's like they are anticipating- or perhaps surprised- by the arrival of the ship in general, no? A standard docking procedure wouldn't draw such a crowd.

I haven't read any spoilers so I'm just speculating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom