• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT Academy 2012: From Virtual to Reality

ruttyboy

So, predictions on the next two rounds anyone?

If it’s following the format up to now I’m going to guess round three will feature a road going 370Z, and round 4 a road going GTR.

Ooooh, I was so close!

Also, I didn't realise, but you can still go into the first two rounds. I thought that they would shut down, how does that affect reporting for our little competition?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Fuck 3-3 is doing my head in. I can't drive this 4WD for shit. :| Either slam into the cones or understeer like the boat into the cones/off-track trying to get through the corners quickly. How the hell are you supposed to get a 35 second time on this!?

ruttyboy

Haven’t had a chance to have a go yet, can anyone tell me, is it still the same two music tracks that endlessly repeat? I’m annoyed that you can’t do custom soundtracks, but I’m too lazy to turn off the music, I’m an idiot.

Jeez already? Gonna have to get around to updating our leader board soon.

Do it on the 16th like u said -.-

Haven’t had a chance to have a go yet, can anyone tell me, is it still the same two music tracks that endlessly repeat? I’m annoyed that you can’t do custom soundtracks, but I’m too lazy to turn off the music, I’m an idiot.

You can do it on the ingame pause menu now.

amar212

I’m annoyed that you can’t do custom soundtracks, but I’m too lazy to turn off the music, I’m an idiot.

I think there is an option for User Music, go to Sound Options.

However, it will work for in-race BGM only, menu music is menu music.

TheSeks

3-3 and 4-5 are the only two I need to gold and I can't even finish 4-5 to even get a bronze on it. :/ It's pissing me off. Both of these cars want to slide when I'm going through the corner or pull off track when I'm taking them with a reasonable (50-80MPH) speed.

Goldrusher

3-3 and 4-5 are the only two I need to gold and I can't even finish 4-5 to even get a bronze on it. :/ It's pissing me off. Both of these cars want to slide when I'm going through the corner or pull off track when I'm taking them with a reasonable (50-80MPH) speed.
Go slower, focus on a clean run.
The gold times are all pretty easy. Much easier than GT5's license tests.
Lots of room for mistakes, wheel spin, slides, etc.

ruttyboy

I think there is an option for User Music, go to Sound Options.

However, it will work for in-race BGM only, menu music is menu music.

amar you are a life saver, it is indeed in the options. Also, it´s for both menu and in game, you can actually set different music for each! Only trouble is it skips to a new track every time you load a different screen or restart an event...

I just went through golding both rounds quickly to see what´s what. Loving the feel of the 370 a LOT more than I thought I would (that Indy double hairpin licence test in GT5 put me right off it), seems really stable and controllable even when the back starts to go, I´m almost sure they´ve done something to the handling model.

Seks - are you playing with a controller? With the GT-R you kind of need to brake while turning in and then control the angle of the car with the throttle, not a full on drift but you need to be agressive to counter the understeer (turn off traction control if you haven´t already).

4-5, that´s the Nurb one right? Keep your foot down drifting and then passing, keep to the left of the track so when it turns slightly left it will move you out naturally to be in the right place to brake and turn for the sharper left ´kink´, then onto the final corner which is just about braking in the right place and holding the throttle until you can accelerate away.

TheSeks

Go slower, focus on a clean run.
The gold times are all pretty easy. Much easier than GT5's license tests.
Lots of room for mistakes, wheel spin, slides, etc.

If I go too slow I won't make the target time. I mean 4-5 I'm .007 from the cut-off time (35:500 IIRC) for Gold. LITERALLY .007 off.

The cars want to understeer a lot and the 720Z wants to lock the brakes and not turn while I'm braking. Lay off the brakes and then turn and the car wants to spin out with no TCS or ABS on.

Seks - are you playing with a controller? With the GT-R you kind of need to brake while turning in and then control the angle of the car with the throttle, not a full on drift but you need to be agressive to counter the understeer (turn off traction control if you haven´t already).

4-5, that´s the Nurb one right? Keep your foot down drifting and then passing, keep to the left of the track so when it turns slightly left it will move you out naturally to be in the right place to brake and turn for the sharper left ´kink´, then onto the final corner which is just about braking in the right place and holding the throttle until you can accelerate away.

Yes, DS. Yes all the aids besides the racing line is off.

3-3 is La Sarthe "various elevations corners" and 4-5 is Monza's infamous corner with cones on where you can generally cut to make a decent line. I keep hitting the cones or going off track braking from 5th gear automatic to 2nd gear in an attempt to reach their recommended gear change. Or I brake and go off track at 3rd gear because the 720Z wants to lock the brakes and wheels up instead of braking and turning.

Arcteryx

If I go too slow I won't make the target time. I mean 4-5 I'm .007 from the cut-off time (35:500 IIRC) for Gold. LITERALLY .007 off.

The cars want to understeer a lot and the 720Z wants to lock the brakes and not turn while I'm braking. Lay off the brakes and then turn and the car wants to spin out with no TCS or ABS on.

Yes, DS. Yes all the aids besides the racing line is off.

3-3 is La Sarthe "various elevations corners" and 4-5 is Monza's infamous corner with cones on where you can generally cut to make a decent line. I keep hitting the cones or going off track braking from 5th gear automatic to 2nd gear in an attempt to reach their recommended gear change. Or I brake and go off track at 3rd gear because the 720Z wants to lock the brakes and wheels up instead of braking and turning.

What part of 3-3 are you having issues with? I found I had to turn in much much earlier than with "normal" cars. Maybe try increasing the sensitivity if you're still having understeer trouble.

As for 4-5: are you clearing the first car prior to the first turn? The first turn is really the ONLY hard part of that trial, you need to go as far right as possible, I ended up getting a great run even with some wheelspin at that section. Once you get that turn down its smooth sailing from there.

TheSeks

Yeah, I'm passing the red/first car before the turn off. Catching the Yellow/second car is impossible.

The whole La Sarthe track is what I'm having issues with. The lens flare blinds me at times.

TheSeks

3-3, passed. Took a bit but finally got it.

4-5 FUCKING FINALLY PASSED IT after like 50-150 attempts. Unfortunately it won't save my time since my connection is screwed up and I got signed out of PSN during the run. It's like 00.37:047 so it probably will be in like the 25,000-75,000 area like most of my times are and I didn't beat Goldrusher I'm sure.

All gold again. But man fuck these challenges and requiring gold for the cars. Those are the only thing I care about. I don't care about the competition or GT Academy gear they'll probably give out for participating. >_<

ruttyboy

ruttyboy, you should join us for our GT5 NeoGAF Racing League events. You have considerable pace.

You are too kind Sir! Although I will admit I’m surprised by how well I’ve been doing in this academy thing, never really had an opportunity to compete in like for like events before (I suck at tuning cars).

I did ask to be put onto the NRL friend list intending to race with you guys but two things have stopped me so far. Firstly, I’m not sure my net connection would be good enough, but mostly I don’t have any experience of racing with other people and I’m massively paranoid that I’d ruin someone’s race by smashing into them and I’d never be allowed back...

paskowitz

You are too kind Sir! Although I will admit I’m surprised by how well I’ve been doing in this academy thing, never really had an opportunity to compete in like for like events before (I suck at tuning cars).

I did ask to be put onto the NRL friend list intending to race with you guys but two things have stopped me so far. Firstly, I’m not sure my net connection would be good enough, but mostly I don’t have any experience of racing with other people and I’m massively paranoid that I’d ruin someone’s race by smashing into them and I’d never be allowed back...

Honestly, don't sweat it. A lot of members were in the same boat as you are now. The only way to get better is practice. As far as your connection, I would not worry about that either. Several members have spotty connections. Just try not to watch a movie on netflix while you race.

andylsun

No one on my friends list has this game (and it's free). Anyone want to add me to give some times to race against - PSN ID: andylsun

I've golded all the events unlocked so far, even using the DS3 (couldn't be bothered to plug my wheel back in). Once the 7th and 8th rounds are open, will switch to the wheel and redo all the events to improve my times. Hope to get in the top 10,000

I'm only 0:0'100 away from 1st place WW on 3-1!!

Me and 900 other people

*edit*

Holyshit!

FjxvD.jpg

Closest I've ever been. Only +0:'176 from first place. I don't know what's the ranking by country but I only saw 3 Portuguese from 1-250, from 250-349 there's perhaps 2 more? I'm definitively in the top 10. And I think I can shave off some miliseconds still.

Think I'm gonna start taking this more seriously, who knows I might make it to the national finals. So exciting! :p

l2ounD

finished round 3, wow@ La Sarthe

I need to play that track some more, with the lights low it looks gorgeous!

Kaze, KaizorPenguin... Screw you guys!

n5EpU.jpg
d8mRt.jpg
DG69o.jpg
7mSRm.jpg
0N2r0.jpg

I mean... +0'002 and +0'003? REALLY?

*headbutts table*
It's pretty much impossible for me to beat Kaze13 on 4-1, but KaizorPenguin... I think I can still do it. But now I'm gonna focus on Stage 3.

Btw, who is AbandonedTrolleyw and JimBOBmcnab? I don't recognize the PSN IDs. Anyone knows them as gaffers? If not I'm removing them, they're messing up the GAF leaderboard.

Kaze13

I concentrated on 4-4 last night and I just could not get that last .047. I think I got the entry fairly spot on but getting the exit right is very hard? Great job on that time.

Suzuka spooner curve. I have yet to look at top time ghost though so that might change things. I like to figure it out myself until I hit my limit (which in this case is really close lol)

Ah yes, that one took me quite a bit of time to get on top. Around 40mins :p Basically just turn hard on the first corner, even sliding a bit, then follow power, and brake just a tiny bit when turning left and control your throttle.

I meant on two rounds, but its actually three rounds.

I have no idea what you're talking about, but you're #7 in the first round, #6 the second round, and currently #7 overall. I haven't checked rounds 3 & 4 yet but they won't go final until the next set of rounds open, so it's not too late to improve.

Nice group of challenges from 3/4. A few I don't think I'll be able to compete for top 10 in though. 4-1 felt pretty squirrelly with a controller. Love the challenges with other cars, Monza will be fun to gun for a top time on.

l2ounD

Finished round4,

The 370z was really fun and love the feel of that car, so I managed to post some good times! :D

Though, 4-5 was a pain.. I kept hitting the yellow Z sometimes too early or too late, also I hate the custom course tracks! Time was slow there too. ugh..

Kaze13

Well crap. Spent an hour trying for 4-4 again and finally bested MM's time (22.750) but now my Internet is acting up...FML. Hopefully it goes up. Anyway. Damn, RounD! 23rd overall at 4-4! Wow.

Edit. Yay it went up. And double damn! RounD you beast! 7th overall? Do you have racing experience?!

amar212

Hey guys, clarification needed, thanx in advance:

Are the Rounds 1-2 closed now for the NRL compo, or can we improve more? Same question for rounds 3-4 in one week and upcoming 5-6/7-8?

Are the Rounds 1-2 closed now for the NRL compo, or can we improve more? Same question for rounds 3-4 in one week and upcoming 5-6/7-8?

1-2 are closed for now, its probably too much work to update it all the time, but maybe they can all be updated for a last time when gt academy ends.

I thought it would be best to lock the standings for previous rounds when new ones came out so people wouldn't have to constantly keep doing the old challenges to keep their place on the leaderboard.

I for one vote to keep all the rounds open.

+1.

Not everyone has time to put 100 hours a week into this -.-

Doesn't mean you need to update them all the time mind you, that's probably tedious, but at least update all of them once the final round ends.

Toxa has been putting some good times on Rounds 3-x, and its good to see I've only dropped one place on most of my 4-x (RounD is a beast!)

Risgroo

Been improving my times in rounds 3 and 4, found a few tenths on nearly every trial. Now I need to get back to the first two rounds, where I'm way off the rest of you.

Top Bottom