• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub still has the best environments and vegetation in any racing game

onQ123

You're delusional.

No you are if you think that a gif from a game look better than the game when reality is that it's just smaller .

Play the gif on the same screen that you play the game on.

If you think the gif look better play your games in Picture in Picture mode or get a smaller TV/monitor because all you're saying is that you like the smaller image.

big_z

No you are if you think that a gif from a game look better than the game when reality is that it's just smaller .

If you think the gif look better play your games in Picture in Picture mode or get a smaller TV/monitor because all you're saying is that you like the smaller image.

he is right, if you take a lower detail image and shrink it down to a smaller size it helps hide a lot of the short comings. it applies to all games, not just drive club.

The problem with hyberbole of gifs here on Gaf is that the majority are just seeing them as tiny screens and thus not seeing any of the shortcomings that occur in realtime in full resolution on a big TV.

Even Ridge Racer 1 looks good in a gif.

onQ123

he is right, if you take a lower detail image and shrink it down to a smaller size it helps hide a lot of the short comings. it applies to all games, not just drive club.

The problem with hyberbole of gifs here on Gaf is that the majority are just seeing them as tiny screens and thus not seeing any of the shortcomings that occur in realtime in full resolution on a big TV.

Even Ridge Racer 1 looks good in a gif.

And the game would do the same thing if you put it in the picture in picture mode or played the game on a smaller screen.

Think about that it's still the game it just look better to you because it's smaller the gif don't look better than the game the game just look better to you in a smaller window.

Daffy Duck

After all these years?

Mate, it’s been three years since release lol.

Personally I feel FH3 foliage would look as nice with some equally curated photo mode direct capture screenshots.

score01

Yep. Some posters make it sound like it only helps DC though. The infamous DC vs Forza6 rain gif springs to mind.

DC is a great looking game though. Is it perfect? No. Not by a long shot. Does it still do something better than newer racers? Yep. Do newer racers do somethings better than DC? Yep. I don't get the irrational hatred so people seem to have for the title.

leeh

How the game looks is just my honest opinion. As someone who's mostly seen the game in GAFGIF form, when it was on the big TV I was very disappointed. I mean, I expected it to look a lot worse, but it looked non-native IMO.

To anyone thinking about overscan, it wasn't enabled.

onQ123

How the game looks is just my honest opinion. As someone who's mostly seen the game in GAFGIF form, when it was on the big TV I was very disappointed. I mean, I expected it to look a lot worse, but it looked non-native IMO.

You said you played it on a 4K TV so it was non-native to the 4K screen because it's native resolution is 1080P but it should have scale well into the 4K screen.

leeh

You said you played it on a 4K TV so it was non-native to the 4K screen because it's native resolution is 1080P but it should have scale well into the 4K screen.
You just mitigated your own concern in your post. As you said, 1080p fits natively into 4k and generally improves the 1080p image on a 4K screen.

Don't get the wrong though, the weather implementation is the best I've seen in a game, just overall it was very disappointing.

le-seb

As you said, 1080p fits natively into 4k and generally improves the 1080p image on a 4K screen.
How can upscaling improve quality?
I can understand that displaying a UHD picture on a 1080p display would be equivalent to downsampling, and hence improve IQ, but upscaling???

onQ123

You just mitigated your own concern in your post. As you said, 1080p fits natively into 4k and generally improves the 1080p image on a 4K screen.

Don't get the wrong though, the weather implementation is the best I've seen in a game, just overall it was very disappointing.

What concern? you said it looked non-native & I told you it wasn't native to the 4K TV

lol. ummm no

Putty

Lol. You could predict the outcome of this thread the minute it went live. May as well have just participated in the console racer thread...

onQ123

So the game don't look as good as gifs that are made from the videos of the game & scaled down from 1080P to the smaller size of the gifs but the 1080P game also look better if you scale it up to 4K?

Amazing

After all these years driveclub still manages to amaze.. best graphics, lightning and wheter efects until today. On top of this is really great to play..

The only thing that hurts this game is the aliasing that is really noticeble..

If Sony would lunch a Pro version of this game it would put even further to shame games like Forza and Project Cars..

All this nonsense pics posted here to make the game look bad turns this into one of the most entertaining threads of the last few weeks...

Played the base game + season pass last month (I have no idea what the main campaign is, is it the legends things?), it really bothered me how often there was rain or night (forgot to add this in my post) in the game. I'd say at least half of the time. I'm not a fan of adverse conditions, I like being able to see where I'm driving. It came to the point that I was driving from muscle memory during the final of Elements championship.
https://youtu.be/e9OyCI-QC6Y?t=246 (not my video)
There is no Rain in the base game . heck it doesn't have rain untill the "Elements" DLC pack witch is the 4th pack they release for that game.

There is no rain in the MAIN campaign of driveclub , just day and night events. that's just facts.
And Yeah , the elements dlc final events are there for you to test EXTREME conditions ( Snow+ NIght + Thunder ) it was nothing but awesome how you had to relearn most of the breaking points if you wanted to clear those challenges.All in all , out of hundred of events , only 3 are there for the extreme challenge so it' s not a common occurence in the game

nkarafo

They look amazing in still screenshots.

Unfortunately i never managed to see all that at 30FPS + motion blur.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
On tiny gifs with tons of motion blur every game looks better. Motion blur can go to hell because hides tons of details making almost everything blurry.

I saw the username and it all became clear - you've been bad mouthing Driveclub for years and also happen to be a massive Forza fanboy. You just can't stand the game getting any praise.

vio

Thread is about environments and vegetation. DC wins there easy. Shaders used, amount of foliage and it`s quality is way beyond what other racing games offer.

Other games mentioned here may have better image quality, and it is ok to prefer their overall look, but they don`t beat DC in areas OP mentioned. Definitely not in those.

thelastword

Banned
Driveclub look better than every gif I posted & if it looked worse to you than those gifs something was wrong with the TV you was playing on.
Absolutely, DC is better looking than every gif I've seen posted on Neogaf on a Television screen....I don't know what these guys are talking about and what TV's they played on, but I'd like to know....In gifs DC wins, in videos DC wins, in tech DC wins, on your TV at 1080p DC wins. On my 4k screen DC wins, even though it has no PRO patch....

I can admit that perhaps checkerboarded 4k, TAA, 16xAF and general improvements in graphical quality "whatever that maybe" would take DC much higher, but as it stands, it's the better looking racer by a fair bit even without those.....I hope Yoshida will surprise us...TBH, if DC gets a pro patch, I don't see a racer looking better till PS5....

Driveclub looks great, that's true. Forza games have surpassed it already, but it still holds up very well.
No, Forza 7 barely looks better than Apex, puddles and water look worse.....Cars still have that plastic looking sheen, Forza 7 almost looks stylized imo. Some weak road side textures, roadside grass and foliage looks bland, track detail is weak in general, even the sand effects in Dubai look basic and not convincing, lighting is perhaps the weakest in a modern day racer, no headlights in dark tunnels. Weather effects look prebaked and fake.

People can take all the abysmal stills of DC and post them, that famous yellow car pic is already here btw...As I said in my earlier post, In motion, nothing touches driveclub, because it brings together the immersion and image better than any racer to date....The petals and debris flying as you race, flock of birds, sun glare hitting your windshield as you go up an incline and take a blind corner, hills inclines and road undulations are perfectly captured and must be negotiated, the best lighting in a racer, the best foliage and vegetation, the best reflections and weather, massive ATD in the enviroments as stated by the OP, cloud simulation, proper headlight lighting, haze effects and many others are visible as you race, even muffler emmissions. You won't see those in screens, so it's all about the composition of the image in motion and yes it's very convincing and authentic.

One thing people fail to talk about is sound, how it nails sound, listen to the car tires squishing the water on DC tracks, engine roars, lighting strikes and thunder. All of this contributes to the immersion, but it would not be possible if DC was a bland looking game with weak tracks....Everyday I play DC I'm amazed by the draw distance, seeing the track I have to negotiate from far off, a simple thing like the brake calipers lighting up is the most convincing I've seen the effect in a racer too. Recently, what really blew me away was the lighting and ATD during nightime racing, the headlights shining on the enviromental detail at night (trees, rocks, foliage), these elements look like they would in such conditions, even more impeessive when trees rocks and foliage become wet at night. The look is so authentic with rain or without...There's so much these guys perfected here, pretty much, the only thing this game needs is better AA and AF...., yet other racers may have that, but are several tiers below in all the other aspects where DC domintaes them.

Anyway, I'm all about showing racers in motion, because you can cherry pick screens to show how bad a racer is with MB engaged, PP effects on and of course douse a low quality JPG at it for the count...Take a look at this vid, it's full of compression nonetheless, it's youtube afterall, but take a look at all the detail you see in DC you don't see in other racers, all the effects etc...that you won't really appreciate in screens. As I said, "composition of the image in motion"......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkteQfuMaX0

Synth

You basically just admitted that it's not the gifs that look better but the fact that it's smaller on your screen

No, it's both. The gifs looks better because they're resized/downsampled from the original image. This is the size they will be viewed at, and across any screen, they retain a flattering pixel density, as they won't scale to fill the entire screen. They don't look better because they're gifs. They look better because the gifs are pretty much always downsized.

Play the gifs on the same screen that you play the games on & see do they look better than the actual games

I do "play" the gifs on the same screen that I play the games on actually.
nJNsLDF.jpg

The difference is that a gif scales relative to the display resolution, so a 480p gif doesn't look like a 480p OG Xbox game in regards to image quality. It looks like a 4K game downsampled to 1080p, but smaller.

And "just play the game in a smaller window" is a stupid argument. Nobody would do that, because it would negatively impact your ability to actually play, which is something the viewing of a gif doesn't require. And because we're talking about the perceptions people have of the game and its graphics, and so the default difference in representation matters. Are you going to tell me that when a Driveclub gif pops up on your screen, your natural reaction is to immediately scale it to fill the screen? No it isn't, and so making the equivalence is daft, because you should also understand that nobody else is either.

I don't care what screen you have. Without actively manipulating either the gifs themselves, or the game, Driveclub does not look better than (or even remotely close to as good as) this:
H17T9Vh.gif

and Gran Turismo 5/6 does not look remotely as good as this:
lfagt6npu3t.gif

People see gifs like these at their native non-scaled sizes, and have their graphical impressions set by them. This is why it's so common for them to later play the game and opine that it looks nowhere near as good as the gifs led them to believe... because it doesn't. There's zero hint of any IQ deficiencies in the majority of gifs created specifically for the purpose of highlight a game's positive aspects.

You certainly could create gifs that don't highlight a game's positive aspects, but that's very rarely why these gifs are ever created.

onQ123

No, it's both. The gifs looks better because they're resized/downsampled from the original image. This is the size they will be viewed at, and across any screen, they retain a flattering pixel density, as they won't scale to fill the entire screen. They don't look better because they're gifs. They look better because the gifs are pretty much always downsized.

I do "play" the gifs on the same screen that I play the games on actually.
nJNsLDF.jpg

The difference is that a gif scales relative to the display resolution, so a 480p gif doesn't look like a 480p OG Xbox game in regards to image quality. It looks like a 4K game downsampled to 1080p, but smaller.

And "just play the game in a smaller window" is a stupid argument. Nobody would do that, because it would negatively impact your ability to actually play, which is something the viewing of a gif doesn't require. And because we're talking about the perceptions people have of the game and its graphics, and so the default difference in representation matters. Are you going to tell me that when a Driveclub gif pops up on your screen, your natural reaction is to immediately scale it to fill the screen? No it isn't, and so making the equivalence is daft, because you should also understand that nobody else is either.

I don't care what screen you have. Without actively manipulating either the gifs themselves, or the game, Driveclub does not look better than (or even remotely close to as good as) this:
H17T9Vh.gif

and Gran Turismo 5/6 does not look remotely as good as this:
lfagt6npu3t.gif

People see gifs like these at their native non-scaled sizes, and have their graphical impressions set by them. This is why it's so common for them to later play the game and opine that it looks nowhere near as good as the gifs led them to believe... because it doesn't. There's zero hint of any IQ deficiencies in the majority of gifs created specifically for the purpose of highlight a game's positive aspects.

You certainly could create gifs that don't highlight a game's positive aspects, but that's very rarely why these gifs are ever created.

That's what I told you, the gifs don't look better than the game it just look better to you because it's in a smaller window on your screen ,

onQ123

Wow, so you DO understand.

You're damn right I understand & like I said the gifs don't look better than the game you're just seeing the gifs in a smaller window.

either blow that gif up to full screen or play the game in picture in picture mode then tell me if the gif look better than the game.

Synth

That's what I told you, the gifs don't look better than the game it just look better to you because it's in a smaller window on your screen ,

Holy... fucking... shit... lol

I'm saying the gifs DO look better. I'm saying that they don't look better because they're gifs though. If the were downsampled lossless AVI it would look even better still. They look better because they're downsampled gifs, not because they're gifs.

You asked how a gif can look better... they can look better, because they're downsampled... it's simple, omfg!

Resizing a downsampled image isn't the same as it being native... and it's not how anyone's seeing it. You didn't "blow the gifs up" when you came across them prior to this conversation... and don't even lie to me that you did.

You're damn right I understand & like I said the gifs don't look better than the game you're just seeing the gifs in a smaller window.

either blow that gif up to full screen or play the game in picture in picture mode then tell me if the gif look better than the game.

In a GIF you're seeing LESS detail, which in turn makes it APPEAR better because the details that make it APPEAR less realistic are being hidden by the small size and the dithering. That's why gifs APPEAR better.

You render the GIF at full resolution with no dithering, and the thing would look the same as the actual game... where many people in here confirm it looks much less flattering.

You know this shit... stop it.

Synth

You know this shit... stop it.

Yup, it's ridiculous. Don't pretend to be stupid, just to argue a fucking game looks better than it does.

Blow your gifs (which are embedded in the damn browser) up to full screen, or play the actual game in PiP... this is some of the dumbest shit I've ever seen argued on this forum.

onQ123

Holy... fucking... shit... lol

I'm saying the gifs DO look better. I'm saying that they don't look better because they're gifs though. If the were downsampled lossless AVI it would look even better still. They look better because they're downsampled gifs, not because they're gifs.

You asked how a gif can look better... they can look better, because they're downsampled... it's simple, omfg!

Resizing a downsampled image isn't the same as it being native... and it's not how anyone's seeing it. You didn't "blow the gifs up" when you came across them prior to this conversation... and don't even lie to me that you did.

So you think that a downsampled image actually look better than the original picture?

Mohasus

There is no Rain in the base game . heck it doesn't have rain untill the "Elements" DLC pack witch is the 4th pack they release for that game.

There is no rain in the MAIN campaign of driveclub , just day and night events. that's just facts.
And Yeah , the elements dlc final events are there for you to test EXTREME conditions ( Snow+ NIght + Thunder ) it was nothing but awesome how you had to relearn most of the breaking points if you wanted to clear those challenges.All in all , out of hundred of events , only 3 are there for the extreme challenge so it' s not a common occurence in the game
I never specified the main campaign. I said the game. For me, DLCs are part of it. I have no idea what order the DLCs were released because the menus in the game are a mess.

https://i.imgur.com/zMthz0e.png
Yes, I've played through most of it, just not some DLC championships not included on the season pass.

My point is, the game doesn't look good during clear conditions, so there is a fair amount of races with rain and/or night.

I also didn't say there were tons of extreme conditions, but adverse ones. I just said the elements final is ridiculous, in a bad way. It isn't fun, but it also isn't hard or challenging. Especially not when the flags still stick out like a sore thumb.

This isn't exclusive to Driveclub. The Need for Speed series has been doing this since NFS: HP (2010). The roads were always wet, and now in the lastest one (2015) it was always wet + night.

I love the game, one of my favorite racers. I'm just not blind to its problems.

So you think that a downsampled image actually look better than the original picture?

Why do you keep saying "actually looks better" when you know DAMN WELL that the argument is that it "APPEARS to look better"

It's like you think we're trying to say the gif is doing things that the game isn't.. when in reality we're saying that the details that are a DEAD GIVEAWAY that it's a game, become lost in the size and dithering.

Again... stop this stupid shit.

onQ123

Yup, it's ridiculous. Don't pretend to be stupid, just to argue a fucking game looks better than it does.

Blow your gifs (which are embedded in the damn browser) up to full screen, or play the actual game in PiP... this is some of the dumbest shit I've ever seen argued on this forum.

Sorry I will not dumb down to the point that I think a gif from a game actually look better than the game it's made from.

there is a reason why that gif look better to you & that's because it's in a smaller window on your screen so do the same thing to the game & put them on equal terms & see if the gif look better or is it just that you're looking at the gif in a smaller window.

LostDonkey

Why do you keep saying "actually looks better" when you know DAMN WELL that the argument is that it "APPEARS to look better"

It's like you think we're trying to say the gif is doing things that the game isn't.. when in reality we're saying that the details that are a DEAD GIVEAWAY that it's a game, become lost in the size and dithering.

Again... stop this stupid shit.

I'm convinced that this and Thelastword accounts are just pure troll accounts.

For some reason they repeatedly get away with it.

Top Bottom