• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch or PS4 to complement a gaming PC?

If you had to choose between one of these consoles to complement a gaming PC which would you choose atm? Going to buy one soonish (next couple months). I had a PS4 up until a few months ago when it died so I've already played mostly everything on it I wanted up to this point but of course it will get some great games coming up. Switch I have yet to touch however. What do you think gaf? Which would you pick?

orochi91

Which upcoming software line-up do you care more about?

That should answer your question~~~

I'd have both alongside my PC.

Which upcoming software line-up do you care more about?

That should answer your question~~~

TBH, I haven't really been playing too much attention. I Just know Mario Odyssey is coming out next month and that looks amazing. I know there is a new Metroid Prime in the works but who knows when that comes out lol.

I'd say Switch because it has more software that interests me and more software that's likely to stay exclusive to that platform discounting emulation. That's about it really.

If I had a good PC I'd use it for most games that are available on PS4 and PC.

Clive

Do you need portability? Do you like Nintendo games? Do you like Sony games? There is no answer that will fit all people.

oti

Banned
Switch will have more exclusives, especially now with Japan embracing the PC. But if you want to play Sony's first party games more, buy a PS4.

Cerium

Given that you've already played much of the PS4 library and have a PC capable of playing multiplatform games at a higher fidelity than any console, I would say that a Switch would be the most natural complimentary system. You'll have access to an already fantastic first party library, and the portability offers something neither your PS4 nor PC can provide.

For certain types of games (2D indies and the like) Switch is the best system you can play on.

MoonFrog

Switch obviously has less of a catalog, but would have less overlap with PC going forward.

That's balanced out a bit it seems by your previous PS4 ownership.

So what're the Switch (non-PC) games you want to play coming out soon or already out?

What PS4 games (non-PC) did you miss that you want or are coming out soon?

Really comes down to what you want to play, but in any case the PS4 and PC have a much bigger overlap in games than PC and Switch. So Switch seems the better complement to me, but again if you must play Sony exclusives rather than Nintendo ones then there's only one choice.

HardRojo

I'd get both, PS4 has a lot more going on for it right now considering its time in the market, but Switch is starting to grow into its own thing and I'm pretty sure it'll be a damn fine console to have by next year, it all depends on your tastes OP, but I'd suggest getting both if possible (one now and the other next year, maybe. Which one to get first is up to you).

Switch certainly seems like the way to go. Nintendo exclusives, at least in my mind, have always held a better draw. Like Zelda, Mario, and now Metroid coming next year too. That and the jrpgs and things like that that have usually found a home on PS4 have been slowly making their way to PC too, not that I'm sure if you play those but it feels like the only real exclusives you'd miss out on are Sony exclusives where as games made for the Switch, not even just Nintendo ones, seem less likely to be ported over. I could be completely wrong though, I'd still go for a Switch for Zelda and Mario alone. Zelda was amazing, Mario looks great, and there's plenty of great stuff they've announced going forward like Fire Emblem, Metroid, and Pokemon. Plus you could take it on the go if you really wanted!

morpix

I have both. Just choose which one you want first while you save up. Get the Switch, play Zelda for 100 hours.

dippa

Neo Member
Switch helps if you want to play a lot in another room, outside of the house, or you want that indie experience away from a gaming PC (travelling or something like that).

PS4 would be more if you feel like you're missing out on Horizon, Uncharted, the kinds of exclusives that don't come to PC. Or if you want those kinds of blockbusters that you'd rather play on the couch (but having a gaming PC, you've kind of already made a call on that).

Biggest thing I'd look at is: what kind of games do you play most on both platforms, and what are the things you want out of those games most when you're playing them (variety, graphics, frame rate, online play, etc)? That'll be the best guide.

Something in general though: the more you're into indies, the better the Switch is.

hidys

As someone who has a gaming PC with a Switch and PS4 I would pick the PS4. Quite frankly unless you really want Breath of the Wild there just isn't a need to get a Switch at the moment. Maybe when Odyssey comes out that opinion might change but on PS4 you've got Uncharted 4, Horizon, Bloodborne and Persona 5 just to name a few.

MattAces

Then both. Easy.
But for real though, I got a Switch just to play exclusive and I have a Wii U. Switch is unfortunately the most under utilized console for me, however when I manage to get a game, I will spend quite a lot of time in it.
You don't get to play Yakuza, Kingdom Hearts on those platforms.

As someone who has a gaming PC with a Switch and PS4 I would pick the PS4. Quite frankly unless you really want Breath of the Wild there just isn't a need to get a Switch at the moment. Maybe when Odyssey comes out that opinion might change but on PS4 you've got Uncharted 4, Horizon, Bloodborne and Persona 5 just to name a few.

I've already played all those PS4 games and they are incredible for sure. Well actually my PS4 died right in the last dungeon of Persona 5 =\

Mr_Moogle

For me personally its PC/Switch with my PS4 Pro collecting dust most of the time.

Really depends on which exclusives you prefer though. PS4 has some great Japanese games you wont get on other consoles like Persona V, Bloodborne, Nioh etc

Switch is your typical Nintendo console with some decent indie support which suits its handheld pretty well.

Kambing

Thinking about what’s available today:

Games — PS4 in the lead for exclusive software so far in my opinion. Notable titles include Bloodborne, R&C, Nioh, Gravity Rush 2, Persona 5, Yakuza 0/Kiwami, Uncharted 4 and TLL, Horizon Zero Dawn, TLG and Until Dawn. Against Zelda, MK8, MarioRabids and Splatoon 2 as must haves on the Switch.

Portability — Switch wins by default. If you plan to play while out and about or travel much its a no brainer.

Looking into the future, the correct answer is both OP.

daviyoung

Banned
Unless you really want Sony games like God of War, Last Of Us, Yakuza etc then go with a Switch.

I find Sony's games are underwhelming most of the time so I have PC and Switch.

This is all a matter of preference though. On Switch, you have Zelda, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2, ARMS, Mario + Rabbids. Mario Odyssey is next month, Xenoblade 2 is December etc etc. Besides, he said he had a PS4 already and played most of what he wanted on it already.

I've already played all those PS4 games and they are incredible for sure. Well actually my PS4 died right in the last dungeon of Persona 5 =\

Well there you go.

Seriously as a PC gamer, it would have to go to the Switch, going from the most desk bound system to one you can take everywhere is super balanced, as well as the games you will never get on PC, sweet combo ;)

Unless you really want Sony games like God of War, Last Of Us, Yakuza etc then go with a Switch.

I find Sony's games are underwhelming most of the time so I have PC and Switch.

This is me too.

The only exclusive that's been a must buy for me on PS4 was Bloodborne. Now my PS4 collects dust.

I personally think the Ps4 is the best complimentary console alongside a PC. Not only does it have big name exclusives you can't get anywhere else, but it is also a back up to your PC in case a game is poorly optimized for PC. Also, there are a ton of exclusive coming.

Unai

I have both, but if I had to choose one the Switch is the easy choice. Even the sony exclusive games usually have similar games on other platforms while Nintendo games fell more unique. Portability is a nice bonus.

Even the so called poorly optimized PC games like Dark Souls and Batman Arkham Knight, 99% of the time are still better on PC.

Occam

Switch still is pretty barren. While I got one a while ago (because I got a great deal), I really wouldn't have minded waiting another year.
PS4 on the other hand has hit its stride and is the system to own right now.

I've always cared more for the Japanese third party games on Sony systems more than the first party games, but those seem to be mostly all releasing on Steam these days.

So if it was me in your position the Switch would be the obvious choice.

That said I have PS4 and Switch with no PC.

Mr_Moogle

Anyone who says Switch only has BOTW is way off the mark. MK8, Splatoon 2, Mario + Rabbids are also great games with Mario Odyssey around the corner.

I'd also argue Sonic Mania even though its not exclusive, is best suited to a handheld.

sfried

I've always cared more for the Japanese third party games on Sony systems more than the first party games, but those seem to be mostly all releasing on Steam these days.

Steam has been enroaching of almost all of Sony's "exclusive" 3rd party titles that Switch's 1st party software coupled with really nice 3rd party support for on-the-go experiences make the PS4 seem redundant, especially when you have a beefy PC.

Top Bottom