• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Wick: Chapter 2 |OT| I Know Gun Fu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daffy Duck

I watched this last night and really enjoyed it.

It was more of the same John Wick just dialled upto 12.

The fight scenes and shooting was epic, also the way he reloads his guns and just flicks his hands to eject the magazine then reload the pistols, oh my it's beautiful.

I love how they have setup Chapter 3, and I love the paranoia setting in at the end as he looks at everyone as a potential assassin as he doesn't really know and now feels all alone in the world with just his dog as a friend.

Chapter 3 is going to be amazing, I can just tell.

Just watched it and I loved it. Every bit as good as the original, extremely well choreographed. I love the fight scene in reflection of your soul area.

I don't know how I feel about a third. The original didn't need a sequel, however I'm not complaining because it was a good ass movie.

Watched the original a while back, didn't like that much, thought it was OK. Watched Chapter 2 today, loved it! watched the original again, it was a bit better this time but I still think is not that good, I prefer Chapter 2 way much more.

Weird.

Looking forward to 3.

Just watched it. Best action movie I've seen after the matrix. Wow

If I hadn't seen the movie I would think this comment had to be some ridiculous hyperbole, but it's totally true, I've legit not stopped thinking about the movie since I saw it in feb, the action setpieces are so phenomenal. Can't wait for the Blu ray.

Kalentan

Just finally saw it. So good!

I can't say if I liked this or the original more. They were different in their own way that I find it hard to directly compare them.

xrnzaaas

Just seen Chapter 2, awesome sequel, John Wick (and Keanu) is cool as fuck. :) I loved almost everything, well maybe except for
the unnamed dog not getting any action, at least he kept Charon company

PS. Are you here for the Pope? XD

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
The aim bot thing is ridiculous. Always a 2 hit kill, you kidding me -_-

It does look beautiful though. I dunno how they managed to make it look beautiful but it does.

SJRB

Gold Member
It's easy to notice that they basically said "o you like this sequence in the first movie? Well here are three more of the same, only with five times the bodycount".

So many surreal moments in this movie. I really enjoyed it, but some of the sequences are just bizarre.

- Coming to take back his car, wrecks it in the process, changes his mind and returns to the warehouse to wreck it some more
- crowd at a concert cheering as John Wick straight up shoots a guy through the head on a podium next to the DJ
- the subsequent shootout in the middle of the crowd with somehow 0 non-baddy casualties
- The bizarro "suppressed" fight where John and Cassian walk parallel through a subway station shooting at each other and no one noticing
- John Wick killing people on the streets left and right in front of dozens of people and no one even flinches
- John's aimbotting and wallhacking
- The insane 100% impenetrable "body armor" suits
- John getting shot in the kidney from point-blank range three times and basicallty just walking it off
- Overall the total non-reaction of bystanders when a bloodied, injured man walks around the streets

Opposed to the first, this movie really moved past my treshhold for suspension of disbelief.

black_13

Banned
Was worried the sequel wouldn't be able to match the level of the first one but they sure did and probably passed it!

This is what an action movie is. Brutal and no BS filler.

Moff

I really didn't like it, I am honestly surprised this received such a warm reception and a better imdb score. the action felt way less intense than in the first one and generally the movie never managed to interest me in the plot or the characters. maybe I was just not in the right mood.

The bizarro "suppressed" fight where John and Cassian walk parallel through a subway station shooting at each other and no one noticing

This was the only one I didn't like, mainly 'cause I thought it looked really stupid, not cool.

Shredderi

I loved it! Liked it at least as much as the first one. Phenomenal action movie. I'm glad to see it did well in the box office as well.

Moonkid

I thought it was okay. For reference in the first John Wick I found both the clinical action and the way it was filmed not particularly entertaining. The sequel doesn't change much in this regard but I did appreciate the efforts to diversify a bit. My biggest problem was with the characters, most of them felt pretty drab especially Common.

N7.Angel

Damn, just saw it and it was amazing, the setup for chapter 3 is insane, I kind a want a prequel to this shit now when he was a pure assassin, would be crazy.

TheTurboFD

This was the only one I didn't like, mainly 'cause I thought it looked really stupid, not cool.

I loved the movie but the most stupid part is him shooting 1 guy and literally stabbing another guy on the train platform​. When the passengers come off the train , no one says anything lol.

number11

The first is so great mainly because of how fresh it felt.. it's hard to judge this in comparison. At times the action does feel a bit samey. Those gun fights, despite being awesome, can get a bit repetitive. This is one of the reasons why I thought the intro had the best action sequence.

I love the overall universe in this franchise. The lack of reaction from the public, or the lack of police presence is something I'd hate in any other movie.. but in the John Wick universe it's just something you accept.

A big bonus for me is Keanu. He's not my favourite actor - not at all.

But it's great to see someone who has a reputation for being pretty hollow and bland as an actor, to get a vehicle that is perfect for them.

Keanu really delivers.

Oh, and that Vic 20 in accounts payable. Priceless.

Mossybrew

At times the action does feel a bit samey. Those gun fights, despite being awesome, can get a bit repetitive.

Have to agree a bit here. Loved the movie, just saw it last night, but it's hard to live up to that first "holy shit this is amazing!" feeling of watching the original. Still, it's a minor nitpick, just glad to have this series continuing.

Love the lore, love the setup to Chapter 3 and
Lawrence Fishburne
was a really nice surprise. I wasn't sure at first because
he looks bigger, then I saw the name on the credits.

Was it supposed to be spoilers? I went in blind.

Love the lore, love the setup to Chapter 3 and
Lawrence Fishburne
was a really nice surprise. I wasn't sure at first because
he looks bigger, then I saw the name on the credits.

Was it supposed to be spoilers? I went in blind.

W8, are you saying you didn't recognize him at first?

Sliver

What a dull movie, honestly. Action was boring and all the interesting lore and world building from the first was squandered. Really don't understand the love. First was better, but mostly because it felt fresh in comparison.

Tovarisc

Chapter 2 was good and did solid job with setting up Chapter 3.

Hopefully they stop series to Chapter 3, after that this format could overstay its welcome.

The first is so great mainly because of how fresh it felt.. it's hard to judge this in comparison. At times the action does feel a bit samey. Those gun fights, despite being awesome, can get a bit repetitive.

Though I loved the movie and still place it as my favourite film of the year, I have to somewhat agree with this. My favourite action scenes were the ones that went in very different directions than the original film. My two favourite ones were probably the Assassin Hunt in New York and the final Museum fight.

The first because it has John facing off against a bunch of enemies somewhat equal to him, coming at him from all sorts of directions, and him getting progressively more and more injured as the sequence went on. The second I love because it feels very artistic, and there's a huge element of strategy in the fight. John starts off with just seven bullets, has to constantly take the guns of his enemies to continue, and ends in a hall of mirrors where the reflections end up being used to both his advantage and detriments.

Both feel really distinct and unlike anything in the first (besides maybe the case of the fight with Perkins being a smaller version of the Assassin Hunt, but in that case, the Assassin Hunt is so much bigger and varied that it doesn't feel the same). The fight in the Ruins and Catacombs (which is still a masterclass of action that puts so many other films to shame) is probably my least favourite of the film (since I preferred the car combat of the opening fight) which really demonstrates how good the action in JW Chapter 2 is.

Hagi

This suffered from pretty much the same things as the Raid 2 did, they went balls to the walls excess and abandoned the tightness of the first film. I enjoyed it but it wasn't as slick as the original, bit too much cheese. Museum fight was pretty damn cool I must say.

Spladam

It's easy to notice that they basically said "o you like this sequence in the first movie? Well here are three more of the same, only with five times the bodycount".

So many surreal moments in this movie. I really enjoyed it, but some of the sequences are just bizarre.

- Coming to take back his car, wrecks it in the process, changes his mind and returns to the warehouse to wreck it some more
- crowd at a concert cheering as John Wick straight up shoots a guy through the head on a podium next to the DJ
- the subsequent shootout in the middle of the crowd with somehow 0 non-baddy casualties
- The bizarro "suppressed" fight where John and Cassian walk parallel through a subway station shooting at each other and no one noticing
- John Wick killing people on the streets left and right in front of dozens of people and no one even flinches
- John getting shot in the kidney from point-blank range three times and basicallty just walking it off
- Overall the total non-reaction of bystanders when a bloodied, injured man walks around the streets

Opposed to the first, this movie really moved past my treshhold for suspension of disbelief.

Came to post this. I really liked the first, the second one frustrated me. A bit too over-stylized. Crushed my suspension of disbelief.
For a famous super professional, John Wick makes a ridiculous series of obviously bad choices.

Saw it in theaters and rewatched it the other night. I definitely enjoyed it, and as a complete movie I have to agree that 2 is better than 1. However, I think 1 had something special to it that was lacking in 2. The hot tub club scene in 1 wasn't even close to being rivaled in 2 imo. There was grander spectacle in 2, but something about the very easy to follow deliberate, brutal action of him infiltrating that club than fucking shit up still resonates with me different than any scene in 2. I am still game for a third movie though.

well that was entertaining as all hell and much better than movie one.

(I did laugh a lot at how no one notices John Wick bloodied and shooting people in this movie). Beyond comical

ends very dark and makes you wonder what will happen to john in the next movie.

cinematography and fight scenes A+++.

I enjoyed the film, but can't disagree with your post. I know we're not watching a documentary, here- but there need to be at least some lines that can't be crossed, otherwise there's no tension. The choreography and set pieces are all awesome, but we're basically watching a Terminator plow through children for 120 minutes. A situation doesn't exist that John can't simply shoot his way out of.

-Him going back into the warehouse in his car bugged me too the first time watching, then I realized on the second viewing that he was trapped when he tried to go out with his car. He was driving around looking for an exit, but was essentially in a huge, but fenced in area behind the warehouse itself. So he goes back in, the warehouse door to exit is closed (he smushes someone into it) then he rocks everyone left inside the warehouse.

-The 100% impenetrable body armor would only bother me if Wick walked away with no damage from the shots. We see his body is fucked up and bruised from every shot he takes. Sure, it might be a little silly, but we're in a made up world, so it's okay for me that they have super awesome armor.

Quite disappointed with this. Or maybe I should say, I wasn't aware that I didn't actually want a sequel. Experiencing John Wick was so great and felt fresh because there was no John Wick movie in this world.

It's a good action flick and I enjoyed getting more of the assassin lore, but in the end it's just more of the same which makes it feel stretched out. I think they knew of that danger and tried their best to make it more interesting, e.g. by focusing on all these other assassins.

Also I think some of the scenes in the first were simply better, e.g. the club scene when the music hits.

Steejee

Just saw this on the plane ride home. First one was one of my favorite movies of recent years. Second was enjoyable, but had a lot of issues:

- Goons that Wick was plowing through seemed like far bigger idiots than in the first. In the first, they felt more threatening - aiming, waiting, leaning around corners, not bum rushing Wick. Second they basically acted like FPS cannon fodder with bad aim.
- The suit body armor thing was cool at first but got a bit ridiculous by the end.
- The 'suppressed' fight made me want to scream. The insanely powerful suppressors/'silencers' were a bit much.
- Some of the fight scenes just dragged on far too long. This ties into the first complaint about the dumb goons, but after a while it just feels like he's very stylishly gunning down zombies rather than trained, armed assassins/bodyguards. The whole 'Boogeyman' aspect works much better when he's beating large groups that seem like legitimate threats rather than cannon fodder.

In short, I had to turn off my brain far more in the second to enjoy it than the first.

Just watched, solid sequel but I liked the first more. This was just more of the same really. Some of the gun talk was a little over the top. "Kimber 1911 ... .45 ACP!" lol really? Also the guy talking about all the mods to the guns like they're special.

"I hope you enjoy the porting on this" "I know you have a thing for Germans, but I recommend the Austrian new Glocks, Glock 26 .." "AR-15 with a scope that will magnify to 1.6x!!" + the Benelli M4. I mean shit.. this is just standard 3-gun equipment, and makes sense since this is what Keanu was shown shooting in those YT videos.

A Glock and an AR platform plus these exact mods are the de-facto guns for the average owner in the US so chalking them up as "special" for Wick is kind of silly. But I'll at least give them credit for hiring someone who knew what they were talking about but that part of the movie was suuuuuper cringe.

Overdone scene, also a theme I saw elsewhere in the movie. A bit too much here and there in places that made the film a tad bit amateur hour in my eyes. Overall though, enjoyable action and I really like the final act. Looking forward to the 3rd installment, I just hope they dial a lot of things back and just go back to making Wick a grey character who is subtlety skilled.

I'd rather see Wick be more like Tom Cruise in Collateral than a super hero. In the first film, the mystery of the mob underground, their currency etc and Wick being a subtle badass is what made the movie work. The second film leans farrrrr too much into those things and spoils their mystery. Also, they earn these coins by killing people and shit right? Yet when they go to buy a drink at the bar it costs a coin? like wtf... Writers need some "no men" in the room to balance things out.

Dial it back guys, less is more.

Beardz

The "fight" with the suppressors was laughable not because nobody noticed, but becase both John and Cassian miss all shots.

So interesting tidbit I missed the first several times I saw Chapter 2: Earl, the "homeless" dude, appeared near the beginning of the film in the background as John goes to visit the Museum. There's absolutely no reason to suspect he's anything other than an extra and he's easily missed.

Jobbs

Banned
Am I going crazy? Folks here and critics all seem to think this was as good or better than JW1.

I like action movies -- I like well choreographed action, and yeah, these movies have them. I also want, however, some kind of motivation and investment in the characters. I want something to be at stake. Let's take a look at the story of the two movies...

John Wick 1: John Wick loves and misses his dead wife. He now loves the puppy that his dead wife gave to him. Badguys kill the puppy and it becomes very personal for him (dead wife puppy) and very personal to the audience (everyone loves puppies). This motivation for the revenge movie was novel and effective. We were rooting for John Wick because we were sad about the puppy and about his dead wife.

John Wick 2: I just saw this again last night and I'm still having trouble remembering what it was actually about -- Because afterwards it just felt like a movie where people fight for no reason for 3 hours. But, yeah, let me retrace its steps...

Okay, John Wick has a blood oath called in by another hitman and he has to go do a murder for him because that's the code of the hitmen. So he does it and now everyone wants to kill him so everyone tries to kill him and so he kills them and this goes on for three hours. John Wick horrifically murders hundreds of people while being shot, stabbed, punched, thrown, kicked, and run over by cars so many times he may as well be the wolverine.

The action was neat, and the scene with the mirrors was visually and audioly interesting, but how can you not be left feeling kind of numb? Even if there was a good or interesting or resonant motivation for any given fight, they go on for so long that you'd forget what it was.

Rogan

Banned
Oh man I loved chapter two. Not sure about the pew pew part with Common though. My

- loved the returning characters
- Ruby Rose
- Great wide shots and more assorted action

So I'm into editing and made a 'trailer'. Not sure if posting is allowd, but there is copyrighted music so no monetization. Would love to share it with John Wick fans!
Mods, pls delete if its not allowed!

TheKeyPit

Banned
Oh man I loved chapter two. Not sure about the pew pew part with Common though. My

- loved the returning characters
- Ruby Rose
- Great wide shots and more assorted action

So I'm into editing and made a 'trailer'. Not sure if posting is allowd, but there is copyrighted music so no monetization. Would love to share it with John Wick fans!
Mods, pls delete if its not allowed!
Thumbs up!

Kazuhira

The last part when he starts to run and every assassin is looking at him was really intense,reminds me of the intro of 28 weeks later.
Ch3 will be pure survival,john is completely on his own,no backup,no resources,he has nothing but his fellow dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom