• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 05•19-21•17 - Express elevator hauls Alien to top, passing everything

Kusagari

No whitewashing controversy for one.

Did your average movie goer really know about that though?

I don't know. When I saw the Blade Runner trailer before Alien last night, it struck me how similar the movie must look to GitS to your average person. Just replace ScarJo with Gosling.

Were you part of the press screening for WW?

I was not! I believe that review got assigned to one of our other editors. It hasn't screened here in Portland yet either way.

Did your average movie goer really know about that though?

If they didn't before (and I think the noise was sufficient enough that more than a few did) they certainly do after the film splat-packed.

(also, we are probably "average moviegoer." It's not like bullshitting about movies online is hard to do, or that our doing it puts us in some special tier of audience)

Ridley327

On the other side, apparently way more of a bigger budget and an R-rating vs GITS' PG-13.

Oh, don't get me wrong, there are certainly major hurdles it has to overcome, even if reviews are great, but the road to success isn't as bumpy when compared to GitS. The budget apparently as high as it is the worst thing about its chances, so we'll see if it winds up being a near miss, which I think WB would consider somewhat successful, or an outright flop.

Alien: Covenant made $30.3M overseas and stands at $81.9. Considering it has only Japan and China (where it will probably drop 95+% on its second weekend), it may fail to break $150M internationally.

My god, man

If a screening is more than 30 mins outta my way it don't happen no more, I'm old
ShawnMichaelsSuperkicksFlair.gif

So is it ok to say that Ridley Scott is to Alien as what George Lucas is to Star Wars?
Easily. Scott can join Peter Jackson and George Lucas in the group who lost their talent and drove their franchises into the dirt with offensively terrible flicks.

Shit, I'd rather watch a 24 hour marathon of Battle of the Five Armies or Attack of the Clones than ever have to watch Covenant again.

kswiston

The only time I have driven any distance for a film was the Roadshow version of Hateful 8 that was playing in Michigan, about an hour from me.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
In that thread about which movies had the best and worst release slots this year I predicted that King Arthur would be a massive bomb and that Alien: Covenant would underperform. Seemed obvious to me.
And everyone knows that Prometheus was an Alien movie. That was bad for Covenant. Really bad.

So Covenant will be kind of a disappointment for Fox, financially, likely finishing its domestic run under its reported budget by 5-10mil.

I can see them tossing Scott 75-80 mil for one last prequel film to tie off whatever it is he's been doing with this series. Set it entirely on a spaceship (or two) and shrink the cast down to like, 4 or 5 people. But I doubt they're gonna let him move forward with his weird ideas for prequel-sequels and sequel-prequels for the next 4-6 years.

He'll get one more mid-budget whack at this, and then they'll revive it down the line (5-10yrs, probably) as an anthology or some shit. Or they'll just remake Alien.

I'm sure they could film the sequel in Australia again and get another grant for filming there. Thus not having to cut down too much on the budget.

I wonder where the Alien franchise will go from there. Covenant is certainly not a bomb but it's not a success either. And I'm surprised that Ridley Scott managed to make that film for only $97M. His films tend to be expensive.

Yea, I couldn't believe it when I saw how low the budget was either. Had some very expensive looking set pieces.

Turns out Australia gave Alien Covenant and Thor 3 $47.25 million dollars in incentives to shoot down there. I'm assuming Fox got $20-$23ish million of that.

Penguin

My god, man

If a screening is more than 30 mins outta my way it don't happen no more, I'm old

Believe it

Hmm well what if it isn't out of your way going, but coming back?

Like the theater in Jersey isn't too far from where I work in Midtown, but getting back at night... will be a thing

Schlorgan

I forgot, what started this?
This:
Wow, Ghost in the Shell is crazy successful on the international market, it just has made as much money world wide in about 20 days as John Wick 2 did in 66 days.

In a lot of markets it is still ahead of Ant-Man I wonder how much money it will make in total. Casting Scarlett seemed really worked out, else it would have ended like Power Rangers.
What a weird turn for that thread.

I wanted to go to one of those so badly.

(Not badly enough to trek to Newark, mind you. But still.)

Smart man, you only go to Newark to get to another country

You've never bumped for the business

And I never will!

The only time I have driven any distance for a film was the Roadshow version of Hateful 8 that was playing in Michigan, about an hour from me.

I loved that version! I lucked out and the theater 10 mins away had it otherwise I never would've went. I still have the program!

Hmm well what if it isn't out of your way going, but coming back?

Like the theater in Jersey isn't too far from where I work in Midtown, but getting back at night... will be a thing

Go home and torrent Batman movies instead

I can't see Alien having good legs. It wasn't really a crowd-pleasing movie at all, didn't come close enough the series highs to be enthusiastically recommendable, unceremoniously dumped every remaining plot thread in Prometheus to go in a different direction, and had an ending that is sure to get mixed feelings.

Movie was like a cover band playing greatest hits.

kswiston

Wonder Woman is going to ruin our fun by getting good reviews and a good opening.

I'm actually going to that one on the Thursday opening. GotG2 is this Wednesday.

Kusagari

Yeah, I drove an hour and a half to see that.

So worth it. One of the best movie experiences I've ever had.

Wonder how much marketing went into Alien, cause I've been seeing it everywhere now for almost a month. Ads on TV nonstop.

While I rarely ever see anything for Pirates 5 or Wonder Woman still, it seemed like Fox was going all out with Alien marketing....

Wonder Woman is going to ruin our fun by getting good reviews and a good opening.

I'm actually going to that one on the Thursday opening. GotG2 is this Wednesday.
Positivity can still be fun! It may be the thread of the year if it has a Hunger Games level breakout. :p

(Which, just to be clear, I don't think that's happening but I could be underestimating how thirsty people are for a quality wonder woman film)

Penguin

Would be something if got positive reception and a poor box-office that will be a thread with all the finger-pointing and theories.

I'm still skeptical about Wonder Woman's opening and overall performance. The older estimates sounded around what I'd expect (recent have it over $90mil OW, I think). It'd be great if it were to surpass even those expectations.

Schlorgan

I would love a quality WW movie, I just don't know how much I want one in any way connected to BvS.

I bet we end up with a mid-50's to low-60's RT.

I can see them tossing Scott 75-80 mil for one last prequel film to tie off whatever it is he's been doing with this series. Set it entirely on a spaceship (or two) and shrink the cast down to like, 4 or 5 people. But I doubt they're gonna let him move forward with his weird ideas for prequel-sequels and sequel-prequels for the next 4-6 years.

Huh. Wonder if we'll possibly get a (Covenant spoilers)
Waterston/McBride-running-from-genespliced-abominations-on-Covenant thriller out of this. I'd most definitely be down for that over yet another retread or the boring lore dump that Awakening would likely be.

BumRush

So Covenant will be kind of a disappointment for Fox, financially, likely finishing its domestic run under its reported budget by 5-10mil.

He'll get one more mid-budget whack at this, and then they'll revive it down the line (5-10yrs, probably) as an anthology or some shit. Or they'll just remake Alien.

Yeah I could see them putting it on ice and just remaking alien in 10 years (unfortunately). I so badly wanted this to do well.

Wonder Woman getting good reviews and having a strong opening would be fantastic. If it performs as well as Man of Steel, I think that's a win.

I mean, it's a WW1 prequel following two critically mauled pop culture movies.

While BvS underperformed, it made plenty. And Suicide Squad did really well for itself (unfortunately). So I don't think it matters much for WW's box office.

Although, it'll be interesting to see how Justice League does if Wonder Woman manages to resonate with audiences. I'm also skeptical about it passing a billion, especially after overestimating GOTG2 to be the billion dollar comic movie this year.

kswiston

Wonder Woman getting good reviews and having a strong opening would be fantastic. If it performs as well as Man of Steel, I think that's a win.

Man of Steel numbers would be great. That film was just shy of $300M domestic, and I doubt Wonder Woman has a $225M budget tying it down.

I'm guessing $225-250 million. My guess is it's a better film, but the quality of the previous films might make folks a bit hesitant.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Kwiston, can you compare GotG 1 and 2 adjusted for inflation?

Sorry if I annoying in that regard, fogot to ask that earlier

So what would be good numbers for WW? I'm thinking 250+ on a domestic run sounds great, but what do I know?
I think WB would feel great about $250M domestically, even though there'd be some armchair analysis from bloggers about how worrisome it is that WW is the "lowest grossing DCEU film to date"

Top Bottom