• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

- Nintendont - | Yes, you CAN play GameCube games on your Wii U!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Can you use the Gamepad as a controller when on vWii?
If yes, why can't you do the same when playing Wii Games with usb loaders on vWii?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
What the hell? How are Gamecube component cables so expensive? :| I got one for PS2 for $5...
The video output chip is actually in the cable itself, unlike component cables for any other console. Nintendo made them, and only Nintendo. So there are a finite number. And you could only order them from their online store back in the day.

Rich!

What the hell? How are Gamecube component cables so expensive? :| I got one for PS2 for $5...

The gamecube component cables are unique compared to all others.

They contain a custom chip designed by Nintendo inside that convert the output from the DIGITAL OUT socket of the GC into component analogue. It's why there are literally no third party alternatives. That's why they are expensive, unlike pure analogue cables which anyone can make for other consoles.

Can you use the Gamepad as a controller when on vWii?
If yes, why can't you do the same when playing Wii Games with usb loaders on vWii?

you can't. it's purely video output on everything wii mode. The Wii U basically turns the gamepad into a TV when it boots into Wii Mode. the pics in the OP were chosen because it's the clearest way to prove GameCube games run on the Wii U.

sja_626

I thought Nintendon't had pretty poor compatibility and plenty of issues. Is that no longer the case? If it's really "flawless" as some in this thread have described it they've come impressively far with this project.

Kadin

So I already have a setup on my Wii to play GC games on it via USB, is there a big advantage going this route? I play on a 720p 32" TV so I'm not sure using HDMI vs component would be all that much of an advantage.

Rich!

So I already have a setup on my Wii to play GC games on it via USB, is there a big advantage going this route? I play on a 720p 32" TV so I'm not sure using HDMI vs component would be all that much of an advantage.

Well, the advantages for you would be:

1. the best picture output available for gamecube games
2. support for wii u pro controllers

that's it really. you can get nintendont running on a normal Wii too if you want to use pro controllers on that.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
The gamecube component cables are unique compared to all others.

They contain a custom chip designed by Nintendo inside that convert the output from the DIGITAL OUT socket of the GC into component analogue. It's why there are literally no third party alternatives. That's why they are expensive, unlike pure analogue cables which anyone can make for other consoles.

I had my nintendo.com's component cables modded to output to VGA and also in RGB via scart on NTSC Gamecubes :( if only I had known...

you can't. it's purely video output on everything wii mode. The Wii U basically turns the gamepad into a TV when it boots into Wii Mode. the pics in the OP were chosen because it's the clearest way to prove GameCube games run on the Wii U.

You can't. Gamepad is Wii U only. It can be used as a display though.

How it can talk to the Wii U Pro Controller then? I'd hoped somehow a solution had come up via homebrew... Also, you can only use Wii U Pro/DS3/etc controllers on Nintendon't right? Not on usb loaders playing Wii games even if they support the Wii Classic/Pro?

Madao

here's some examples of GC games running on Wii U with Nintendont:

F-Zero GX

F-Zero GX

Mario Party 4

Metroid Prime Randomizer

Metroid Prime 2 Randomizer

(the last 2 were technically played on Wii but they would work the same on Wii U from what i've tested. i play on Wii because of the GC controller)

I thought Nintendon't had pretty poor compatibility and plenty of issues. Is that no longer the case? If it's really "flawless" as some in this thread have described it they've come impressively far with this project.

a ton of improvements have happened in the last 6 months. Nintendont is now superior to Devolution in a lot of areas.

Damn, don't have any of those controllers. Guess I'll have to get a Pro Controller. Thanks for the heads up. I had no idea this project existed till now.

Arttemis

Are there any plans to make Nintendont reinterpret gamepad inputs into Gamecube controller inputs? Or is the software running in Wiimode completely denied access from responding to WiiU peripherals?

Not essential, but would be a stellar feature if possible.

linkboy

I've had my Wii U hacked for a while now, but I've never set this up.

However, I'm getting stationed in South Korea next month and I'm defintely going through with this since I don't want to take my Wii and all my GC games with me.

I've got all my PS1 games switched over to digital (play them on a hacked Vita) and it'll be nice to have my GC games digital as well.

Kadin

Well, the advantages for you would be:

1. the best picture output available for gamecube games
2. support for wii u pro controllers

that's it really. you can get nintendont running on a normal Wii too if you want to use pro controllers on that.
Pro controller support is huge. Missed that part. Thanks!

Alric

Question, Can I use a External Harddrive (no alternate powersource) that works with my Wii, will it also work the Wii U ?

SoulUnison

Banned
Is Homebrew Channel safer on the Wii U than the Wii?
Do Wii U system updates ever make changes to the Wii Legacy side of the OS?

I had the Homebrew Channel on my Wii years ago and a roommate did a system update so he could play a game he brought home. Couple days later the Wii just totally stopped working.

You hit the power button, it turns on, but there's never any video or sound output, no matter what you do.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
How do you create an emulated memory card? Melee tells me there is no memory card in slot A every time I start it.

Fortunately 20XX has everything unlocked from the start, but it would be nice to not have to go into the debug menu and change a few settings every time I play.

Question, Can I use a External Harddrive (no alternate powersource) that works with my Wii, will it also work the Wii U ?

No, Wii U will want to reformat it.

I had the Homebrew Channel on my Wii years ago and a roommate did a system update so he could play a game he brought home. Couple days later the Wii just totally stopped working.

You hit the power button, it turns on, but there's never any video or sound output, no matter what you do.

You would have to be really REALLY dumb to brick a Wii with the homebrew channel

Check the link in the OP, it takes 5 minutes to install HBC on vWii...very easy and safe

I don't think so.

The "emulated" Wii on Wii U is totally separated from the Wii U, to avoid possible security problems.

And if it's safer...I think so, the worst thing is you could brick the vWii mode, but the Wii U "part", should be fine.

Rich!

How do you create an emulated memory card? Melee tells me there is no memory card in slot A every time I start it.

You select the emulated memory option in Nintendont, and then boot the game. The game will then require the memory card to be formatted (dont worry, theres one for each game), and then it will work fine. Never had any issues.

for most games it'll prompt to format at the start, others like Super Monkey Ball require you to go into the menu.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
You select the emulated memory option in Nintendont, and then boot the game. The game will then require the memory card to be formatted (dont worry, theres one for each game), and then it will work fine. Never had any issues.

for most games it'll prompt to format at the start, others like Super Monkey Ball require you to go into the menu.

I tried to go into Nintendont but it just boots straight into the game. How do you skip the auto-boot?

Nevermind, figured it out.

Pizza

ODClpf5.jpg

huh, just so everyone knows I sent my WiiU in for repairs a couple weeks ago when it was having problems. I had installed the homebrew channel on my vWii, and made sure to delete any and all traces of it that I could before sending it off (I had not tampered with any IOS stuff to avoid any issues like the above picture)

I got my WiiU back, the pcb board had broke, and no mention of the homebrew channel ever existing on there was included with the paperwork I received.

If the error was due to messing with files that most the internet tells you to avoid, I'm sure I would have received this letter. Just be careful, I'd avoid changing any IOS stuff on the WiiU even if it's "safe and vWii specific" versions since that's the sort of thing that can brick the console if one were to goof, resulting in a sad letter like this one.

Madao

i installed homebrew 1.5 years ago and i've kept my Wii U up to date and there has never been any update that removed any of the homebrew stuff installed.
the only update that affected the homebrew channel was that one that makes VC games display 4:3 automatically and there's a fix for that.

Richisawesome - thanks for sorting this, most appreciated. May give it a try sometime, but only want to play using my actual GC controllers.

How is the game compatibility though? I think I read somewhere that it's not as good as Devolution on Wii.

Baleoce

Could I use a 2GB microSD card for the initial homebrew installation? (With an SD card converter).

It's just I have a USB microSD reader for PC, but not SD.

Jomjom

Banned
Is the 2gb or less sd card important to the process of getting homebrew on this thing? I only have 16gb SD cards.

Also, once it's homebrewed, do I need to turn system updates off or does the homebrew handle that automatically?

How difficult is it for me to switch over from Devolution to Nintendont? Just a matter of changing my the directories on my SD card? Any issues with save data?

Rich!

How difficult is it for me to switch over from Devolution to Nintendont? Just a matter of changing my the directories on my SD card? Any issues with save data?

Its really as easy as that.

As for save data...not sure. Just give it a go, it wont hurt anything if you dont delete the devo saves. Just try saving a game in nintendont first, then replace the save it creates with a copy of one from devolution.
See if it loads.

TunaLover

Holy fuck. How likely is this to be disabled via some firmware update?
Nintendo isn't updating firmware in vWii anymore, I think they did one or two, but hombrew was totally unafected.
I Hombrewed my launch Wii U, Nintendo isn't touching vWii to hunt hackers anymore.

Spikeboy

Neo Member
Sorry if I missed the answer earlier, but is this the loader with the Wiimote DRM? Or was that the other loader that I forgot the name of?

This is really cool, though. Thanks for writing this.

was kinda looking forward to Baten Kaitos 0/1...looking at the compatibility list, it doesn't look as good as the rest, what a damn shame.

Edit : the one with the wiimotes DRM is Devolution, this is Nintendont.

Platy

Capcom vs SNK 2 with actual controller is awesome.

Whaa..? That compatability list includes Mario Kart Arcade GP? Interesting....

Triforce is basicaly a gamecube ... so it should not be that hard.

Except for finding the arcade roms ... that is nearly impossible =P

I would give a leg to play the Triforce Rythm Heaven game on the WiiU =/

Sorry if I missed the answer earlier, but is this the loader with the Wiimote DRM? Or was that the other loader that I forgot the name of?

This is really cool, though. Thanks for writing this.

Devolution had that Wiimote DRM, this is nintendont.

I supposed I'm out of luck to rip my games, my wii drive is fried. is there a version of CleanRip for GC that works with the SD memorycard adapter ? (or I could buy a new wii for dirt cheap I guess, or borrow one from a friend...)

Jazzman> yes it does.

Top Bottom