• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

iNvid02

I honestly feel that this one is already set in stone for winning the multitude of GOTY awards by the end of this year. There has to be one huge surprise of an game defeating this perfect gem. I can not even see Fallout 4 beating it.

its just really refreshing when a game comes along and beats your expectations to a pulp, its even better when they were lofty to begin with.

but as much as i think this will be my favourite game this year, i welcome the competition if it means i get to play another game(s) that opens a can of kick ass on my expectations like the witcher did.

PLEASANT SURPRISES FOR EVERYONE

Denton

A few questions,
did she grow out of being a hunchback? And I thought they were separated due to the Wild Hunt and Geralt losing his memory, didn't know he willfully left her. Any more details on that? :)

She got healed through magic. And Geralt leaving her happened very early in their relationship, it was dealt with in the very first book, Last Wish.
Read the books :)

Berto

I honestly feel that this one is already set in stone for winning the multitude of GOTY awards by the end of this year. There has to be one huge surprise of an game defeating this perfect gem. I can not even see Fallout 4 beating it.
Fallout 4 will beat it. By that time Witcher 3 will be forgotten and we all know how the press love Bethesda.

She got healed through magic. And Geralt leaving her happened very early in their relationship, it was dealt with in the very first book, Last Wish.
Read the books :)
Thanks for the reply, but I just don't have the time to read many books at the moment lol. Care to summarize the details of him leaving her and what impact it had on her, etc? For a fellow gaffer :D

Denton

Fallout 4 will beat it. By that time Witcher 3 will be forgotten and we all know how the press love Bethesda.

I have no doubt that Fallout 4 will be inferior since Bethesda is just not capable of writing high quality, consistent story and chharacters, but yeah this is very possible. I wonder about GAF goty though.

The biggest thing it has against itself is coming out so early in the year. Fallout 4 and MGSV will have a bigger mindshare by the end of the year.

The only way I see Fallout 4 winning is due to it being out later in the year, and fresher in the minds of those who choose their GOTY.

True, true. But I honestly believe that this game is so unique in what it delivers and that it excels in every single thing the former RPG's set out to do, that it will surely hold a special place in allot of people's hearts.

The only way I see Fallout 4 winning is due to it being out later in the year, and fresher in the minds of those who choose their GOTY.

Fallout will win most GOTY awards; not because it'll deserve them, but because, for some reason, Bethesda seems to have a subscription on them regardless of the kind of product they actually turn out.

I agree though that I can't see any game in the foreseeable future topping The Witcher 3 in the open world RPG genre. Fallout 4 will not even be close, because The Witcher 3 is so far beyond what Bethesda has so far been able to deliver on the world building and writing fronts (which have never been their forte anyway) it's not even funny.

961.gif

Denton

GAF GOTY = Bloodborne

hmm, probably true, though personally as good as Bloodborne is, TW3 is even more impressive.

Thanks for the reply, but I just don't have the time to read many books at the moment lol. Care to summarize the details of him leaving her and what impact it had on her, etc? For a fellow gaffer :D

Well basically he left her one morning without saying goodbye because he found her "too controlling". She did not take it very well, especially considering he was not shy about sleeping around a bit. They do reconcile in first short story of the second book, only to separate several months later again :)
They go through a lot, but when all is said and done, they belong together.

Repo Man

God!... this game!...

I like it that most of the time ( not always ) I can choose a conversation option that best suits my personal mood at the time of playing be it the "dickhead response" or the "good guy response" and I get more or less the same results albeit through an entirely different conversation and reaction from the npc. There's been a few occasions where I've actually laughed out loud and there hasn't been many a game that has pulled this off.

This is my personal GOTY, I've never played anything as detailed and brilliant as Witcher 3. Yeah there's still time for other games like Fallout 4 to show off what they have but this game is going to be seriously hard to top!

PS. Sorry for stating any obviousnesess... I'm only about 28hrs into the game unlike some of you who are on your 2nd playthrough. RL sucks, what can I say!? :(

RDreamer

A few questions,
did she grow out of being a hunchback? And I thought they were separated due to the Wild Hunt and Geralt losing his memory, didn't know he willfully left her. Any more details on that? :)

Alright, so here's kind of the timeline (mostly book "spoilers," but a few things from the games, too sprinkled in:

When she was young, she was abused by her mother and father, physically and mentally then she went to Aretuza magic school, basically because they abandoned her. She tried to commit suicide there, but she obviously didn't actually kill herself. At this point she was a hunchback.

In the book, Geralt meets Yennefer when he and Dandelion accidentally find a Djinn. It is during this that Geralt learns she was a hunchback, though she obviously isn't now. Sorceresses and Sorcerers in the Witcher world can do some crazy shit with magic. In one of the books someone regrows his eyes, for instance. Yennefer is basically using strong illusionary magic to show that she's beautiful rather than a hunchback. Anyway, Yen tries to capture the djinn, and Geralt saves her by using his last wish. He binds her fate to his, and basically djinns can't attack their masters. Geralt was its master, so he couldn't attack her. Something to that effect. They have sex in the rubble, it's fun and crazy.

Now, after this point the books kind of skip ahead and don't say a lot of what happened. Geralt gets hurt fighting a striga (seen in the flashback intro to the first game). While he's recovering at a shrine you get some info on Yennefer. You kind of get the picture that there was some strife over the fact that Yennefer, as a magic user, can't get pregnant. She's trying like hell to fix that, and Geralt is kind of avoiding her. He gives a gift to the shrine for the next time she comes, for instance. Then, the next time you actually meet Yen she's fucking pissed off because apparently Geralt just up and left her without a word.

They eventually kind of make up to each other, but keep going their separate ways both because they fight a bit but also because shit with Ciri gets real. There's one story where Yennefer is kind of forced to choose between another love and Geralt. She was ready to choose Geralt, but he was kind of a fucking ass about the whole thing and she ended up dumping both of them.

As I said, though, they kind of make up eventually but then keep separating, like they need to be together but also can't. They on again off again like crazy.

At the end of the book saga Geralt dies. Then Yennefer basically dies trying to save him. Ciri saves them both and takes them to a paradise on another world. They rest there a while, but then the game's storyline starts and the Wild Hunt attacks. That's when they take Yennefer (to get to Ciri), and Geralt follows. Him and Letho fight the Wild Hunt, and Geralt then exchanges himself for Yennefer. She's dumped in Nilfgaard with no memory for a bit and kind of gets Letho in trouble because, hey, she's kind of a feisty lady!

Geralt obviously gets away from the Wild Hunt (and you find out why in Witcher 3), and that's when he loses his memory and Witcher 1 starts.

So, yeah, from Yennfer's perspective she was abused all her life and the one time someone does something grand and nice for her he up and leaves without a word the first time. Then they keep ending up together, and she is obviously going to fear it's because of his last wish and not anything real.

IKizzLE

I personally put bloodborne and witcher 3 on the same level. Both excel and falter in certain areas but are overwhelmingly positive on the whole. With that said, I doubt either will win the majority of GOTY.

RDreamer

How's the English translation for the books? Well-written?

I liked it. I also thought the fan translations were pretty great, too. Definitely worth a read through.

If you're only into reading physical books and don't want to read a fan translation for whatever reason, you'll have to wait a bit as the last 2 books aren't out yet. I think the last one will be out in 2017, unfortunately.

Zushin

Up to Time of Contempt. But after smashing through the first 3 books and the game (and absolutely loving it) Im starting to get burnt out D:

Denton

I liked it. I also thought the fan translations were pretty great, too. Definitely worth a read through.

If you're only into reading physical books and don't want to read a fan translation for whatever reason, you'll have to wait a bit as the last 2 books aren't out yet. I think the last one will be out in 2017, unfortunately.
Btw regarding your summary above, I dont think the magic used to heal sorceresses is illusory. Afaik it physically corrects the flaws. And just like vilgefortz was regrowing his eye, so is actually Phillipa in the game.

ramyeon

Damn these threads move fast. Looking forward to sinking some time into this during the weekend. I don't even want to play anything else.

Ark

I might have to get around to reading these one day. That was a good write-up by the way, much appreciated :)

RDreamer

Btw regarding your summary above, I dont think the magic used to heal sorceresses is illusory. Afaik it physically corrects the flaws. And just like vilgefortz was regrowing his eye, so is actually Phillipa in the game.

Except that Geralt could see through the "illusion."

I suppose maybe I'll re-read that section again to see, but that's why I took it to be more of an illusion than a rebuild. I know Vilgefortz was regrowing his eye, but remember Lydia van Bredevoort had to have an illusion to fix her fucked up jaw/mouth? That's more along the lines of what I thought Yennefer had done.

CoolOff

So a friend is asking if there are any early game items that he should keep an eye out for and not get rid of. I remember some talk about the early witcher gear, can someone clarify?

Any other items that I'm not remembering?

Elandyll

Banned
If Witcher 3 doesn't get GOTY around here, I'm through with you people! :p

Bloodborne is indeed my GOTY at this point (not that Witcher 3 is bad though, it is excellent in its own right), but it will (probably) have some serious competition with Fallout 4 and MGS V, I expect.

Obviously, just my opinion :)

I suppose maybe I'll re-read that section again to see, but that's why I took it to be more of an illusion than a rebuild. I know Vilgefortz was regrowing his eye, but remember his assistant had to have an illusion to fix her fucked up jaw/mouth? That's more along the lines of what I thought Yennefer had done.

I always took the scene as Geralt "deducing" what she used to be looking deep into her eyes (and putting her slightly uneven shoulders with everything he knows about sorceresses). Yen's hunchback has been corrected through magical plastic surgery. Lydia (Vilgefortz' assistant) had her deformities inflicted on her through magical accident/experiment/whatever, and they weren't easily treatable, so they covered it behind an illusion. Ciri's scar was supposed to be hidden like that as well (at least at the beginning).

They are different methods of altering mages appearances. Physical changes and illusions are just the most popular of them.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I see that patch 1.05 is now available for consoles but I have a quick question -

I started the game with v1.04. If I download 1.05, will I have to start a new game or I can continue where im at. Want to make sure before I download the current patch. Thanks.

RDreamer

I always took the scene as Geralt "deducing" what she used to be looking deep into her eyes (and putting her slightly uneven shoulders with everything he knows about sorceresses). Yen's hunchback has been corrected through magical plastic surgery. Lydia (Vilgefortz' assistant) had her deformities inflicted on her through magical accident/experiment/whatever, and they weren't easily treatable, so they covered it behind an illusion. Ciri's scar was supposed to be hidden like that as well (at least at the beginning).

They are different methods of altering mages appearances. Physical changes and illusions are just the most popular of them.

Yeah, you're probably right. I get the impression all of them use both methods all the time, so for all we know she did mostly heal it through magic, but was also using a lot of illusionary magic for other things, in addition.

Sober

I have no doubt that Fallout 4 will be inferior since Bethesda is just not capable of writing high quality, consistent story and chharacters, but yeah this is very possible. I wonder about GAF goty though.
Gamers don't care about those things, they care about sandboxy open worlds where you can craft your own houses and shit.

that is to say that Fallout 4 will be a game ass video game and will triumph in spite of probably very poorly written everything.

Coreda

I see that patch 1.05 is now available for consoles but I have a quick question -

I started the game with v1.04. If I download 1.05, will I have to start a new game or I can continue where im at. Want to make sure before I download the current patch. Thanks.

You're good. If patches affected saves there'd be all kinds of havoc. You may want to search for the separate console patch threads to check for the console-specific changes. Here's the one for 1.05.

Arcayne

32 hours in, I think I've spent about 4-5 hours just side questing and exploring Novigrad. Crazy how dense this one city is. Wish I could play more aside from my day offs.

I suppose maybe I'll re-read that section again to see, but that's why I took it to be more of an illusion than a rebuild. I know Vilgefortz was regrowing his eye, but remember Lydia van Bredevoort had to have an illusion to fix her fucked up jaw/mouth? That's more along the lines of what I thought Yennefer had done.

Yeah I remember that Geralt somehow saw through the illusion right at the first time they met.

If I am not wrong Triss also uses illusion on her chest scar, which for some reason can't be erased physically.

emag

Gamers don't care about those things, they care about sandboxy open worlds where you can craft your own houses and shit.

that is to say that Fallout 4 will be a game ass video game and will triumph in spite of probably very poorly written everything.

Is that any worse than TW3 "triumphing" in spite of having very poor gameplay, tons of filler, and being a trash-loot-fest? Different elements are important to different consumers.

Yeah I remember that Geralt somehow saw through the illusion right at the first time they met.
From what I remember, it seemed like Geralt saw through the illusion through kind of his "senses," maybe his "Witcher senses" if you will. There's some line about how her eyes looked like the eyes of a hunchback (and maybe something about her movement as well). Regardless, he can't actually see through the illusion, it's more of a deductive thing.

Geralt ain't picky he will pretty much plough any lady if the need arises

unless your a crone

I probably went against canon, but I mostly played Geralt as a one woman guy. The only exception was with
Keira
. Other than that, I turned down every woman who asked for a ploughing, from Velen all the way to Ard Skellige.

From what I remember, it seemed like Geralt saw through the illusion through kind of his "senses," maybe his "Witcher senses" if you will. There's some line about how her eyes looked like the eyes of a hunchback (and maybe something about her movement as well). Regardless, he can't actually see through the illusion, it's more of a deductive thing.
Yeah you are correct. "Sense" is the right word here.

This or MGSV will probably be GOTY. Fallout 4 will probably get a few, but I doubt it will win overall because it will inevitably be inferior to New Vegas with Bethesda behind it(not that it won't be a good game in its own right though).

Just completed Gremist's alchemy quest and all I received was some alchemy ingredients. Pfft. Was at least expecting to get some formulas. I have most of the superior versions already so maybe that's why.

Still, it was odd after the quest how he would say he's thought me everything he knows when he thought me nothing.

Oynox

Speaking of crossbows:

Which one do you use? Catschool or bear? It seems to me like the catschool crossbow is simply better than the bear one:

It has 3 more base damage
+10 armor piercing
15% more attack power

and only

3% less crit hit chance
2% less crit damage

I do not understand why. I mean, both are level 29 and need nearly the same amount of ingredients.

Top Bottom