• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sold 250k, Xbox One 100k in Germany

Jack cw

Considering the largest PS4 userbase is at the moment in the US, where the game wasn't bundled, and that the bundle was introduced in Scandinavia less than a month before the launch (changing your existing pre-order to the bundle would have meant a loss of your place in the line), I'd say its actual sales were quite high.

Killzone: Shadow Fall beats Call Of Duty and FIFA during PS4 launch
http://metro.co.uk/2013/12/02/killz...l-of-duty-and-fifa-during-ps4-launch-4209919/

Fair enough, but that data is nearly 7 weeks old. And dont forget that Killzone was part in some major promotions (Buy 3 get one for free). Its still an impressive result but it doesnt really disable what I said.

Ps: Apperantly more german sites posted this news.

whiteape

Pics or it didn't happen :D

Was in a rush, sorry. But i've touched them, to test if they were just empty packages, but they were heavy. MediaMarkt sells them as a Bundle as well (449€ for PS4+ACIV).

I've got a DS4 there which i haven't seen in the wild before as well in germany. (They had more than 20 of them.)

Everything at MediaMarkt Alexa, Berlin.

ds4_mediamarkt_alexa.jpg

Melchiah

Fair enough, but that data is nearly 7 weeks old. And dont forget that Killzone was part in some major promotions (Buy 3 get one for free). Its still an impressive result but it doesnt really disable what I said.

Ps: Apperantly more german sites posted this news.

Here's a closed GAF thread about the KZ sales:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=739009
The source looks a little fishy though, but no-one claimed the figure was wrong there.

S¡mon

Banned
MediaMarkt received a new shipment this week. Some MediaMarkt stores don't accept pre-orders anymore, so the units they'll receive will go on shelves.

The question is: for how long will they stay there? It is known that several Dutch MediaMarkt stores got a new shipment this week (without a pre-announcement) and they all sold out within several hours.

Jack cw

Here's a closed GAF thread about the KZ sales:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=739009
The source looks a little fishy though, but no-one claimed the figure was wrong there.

I have no doubt that Killzone is Sonys top seller on PS4 and the best selling exclusive on next gen systems. I was talking about the system sales last gen, were the real system sellers were multiplatform games and I think that this trend is going to continue.

Melchiah

I have no doubt that Killzone is Sonys top seller on PS4 and the best selling exclusive on next gen systems. I was talking about the system sales last gen, were the real system sellers were multiplatform games and I think that this trend is going to continue.

Yeah, the 3rd party games tend to be the most popular, but franchises like GT and Halo also sell systems. And I'd say the combination of several smaller 1st party titles do the same.

I was talking about the system sales last gen, were the real system sellers were multiplatform games and I think that this trend is going to continue.
I wonder how much of that had to do with hardware installed bases and word of mouth. With a 50/50 hardware split, at any given time you'll have twice as many people advising you to play AssCreed as advising you to play inFamous. If we go from a 50/50 to a 67/33 split, I bet sales of games like inFamous would increase by more than half, for example, as you'll have 33% more users praising it, and 33% fewer users shitting on it because it's not available on their platform.

The numbers that are quoted in the original article are fake. The german gaming magazine pcgames.de asked Media Control Gfk, which are quoted in the original article, and they said they haven't released any number of the console sales in germany yet. So the number 250k vs 100k are completly fictional and made up by the original author.
Source

The numbers that are quoted in the original article are fake. The german gaming magazine pcgames.de asked Media Control Gfk, which are quoted in the original article, and they said they haven't released any number of the console sales in germany yet. So the number 250k vs 100k are completly fictional and made up by the original author.
Source

While I agree that the numbers could be a fake, your own source article and the update on the original article for the numbers both stipulate that no official press release with sales numbers from Media Control Gfk has come out.

The update for the original article concedes that no offical press release from Media Control Gfk with sales data was released but states they got them somewhere. The google translation isn't very good.

Update: Die Zahlen von Media Control GfK liegen unter anderem auch Börse Online vor. Eine offizielle Pressemeldung der GfK mit den Verkaufszahlen gibt es nicht, dementiert wurden die Zahlen jedoch nicht.

Google translation

Update: The numbers of Media Control GfK are among other Exchange Online . An official GfK press release with the sales figures are not available , but the numbers were not denied .

And in your article on it

Auf Anfrage von pcgames.de gab eine Sprecherin von Media Control Gfk an, dass zu diesem Thema keine Daten als Pressemitteilung weitergegeben wurden, was zwei mögliche Erklärungen zulässt. Die Verkaufszahlen der PS4 und Xbox One könnten von Dritten stammen, die die Media Charts Zahlen abonniert und die Infos an das Online-Magazin weitergegeben haben. Oder aber die Meldung der Kollegen ist schlichtweg getürkt. Eine konkrete Stellungnahme zu diesem Sachverhalt wollte das Marktforschungsunternehmen Media Control Gfk nicht abgeben.

Google translation

On request of pcgames.de stated a spokeswoman for Media Control Gfk that on this subject no data has been passed as a press release , which allows two possible explanations . The sales figures for the PS4 and Xbox One could come from third parties who have subscribed Charts numbers and passed the info to the online magazine the media . Or the message of colleagues is simply faked . A concrete opinion on this issue did not leave the market research company Media Control Gfk .

So I'm curious to see what happens. When do we expect an official press release by Media Control Gfk?

nampad

Source

They are fake or a GfK subscriber leaked them. Your linked article says so itself. GfK hasn't commented on the numbers themselves.

They are fake or a GfK subscriber leaked them. Your linked article says so itself. GfK hasn't commented on the numbers themselves.

It could very well be a leak. Eurogamer often reports UK software and hardware rankings before the official releases. They don't give concrete sales numbers but I'm certain they get them

But it could also be fake. Be dumb to fake that though as it's hard numbers so when the real numbers came out everyone would know you were lying

Moonstone

So I'm curious to see what happens. When do we expect an official press release by Media Control Gfk?

Ha called it! The original article was just strange. If Börse online publishes those numbers they are probably legit.

GfK never does a press release on sales data. They just publish boring top 3.

For sales data we have to wait for Interview with a Sony/MS guy. The big media outlets get sometimes GfK numbers and publish them when they run a story about the videogame industry (like Focus magazine did a couple weeks before the launch with LtD hardware numbers for all consoles).

The media source that usually publishes numbers is "€uro am Sonntag" (also a print magazine, their online site is finanzen.net). Numbers usually come from financial sites, because GfK wants to sell their services to investors, not to gamers.

Ha called it! The original article was just strange. If Börse online publishes also they are probably legit.

GfK never does a press release on sales data. They just publish boring top 3.

Maybe there will be Interview with a Sony guy who will reveal them. The big media outlets get sometimes GfK numbers and publish them when they run a story about videogames (like Focus magazine did a couple weeks before the launch with LtD hardware numbers for all consoles).

The media source that usually publishes numbers is "€uro am Sonntag" (also a print magazine, their online site is finanzen.net). Numbers usually come from financial sites.

Ah ok. I always hate how hard it is to get actual sales numbers but I suppose companies exist solely to track these numbers and make money off of it. Giving away the numbers for free is not a good business move. Hopefully we get some more confirmation on the numbers

It could very well be a leak. Eurogamer often reports UK software and hardware rankings before the official releases. They don't give concrete sales numbers but I'm certain they get them

But it could also be fake. Be dumb to fake that though as it's hard numbers so when the real numbers came out everyone would know you were lying
We get off-the-record NPD numbers all the time on GAF.

unofficial != fake

chadskin

Sales figures may be false. Media Control GfK hasn't confirmed the figures as of yet and:

As we have learned from a reliable, industry-internal source, it should in fact act in the message is a hoax. Once we have officially confirmed numbers, we share this with you in a new article.

Source

Seems like everyone is importing from the UK, talk about a vicious circle lol. Swedish shops have put up bundles with heavy mark-up, it's at the point now where it's difficult to gauge what the normal price is actually supposed to be.

Europe and Japan hate Microsoft. Sony is such a reputable name there. Kind of diminished in the states lately (not for PS sales but stuff like laptops, tvs, etc... have dropped a little). Still awesome to see. Owning both systems, I am a much bigger fan of the PS4. Nice to see everyone buying it when and where they can thus leading to it being sold out in many places!

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Wow how many consoles did Sony send to Europe? Must have been at least a million.

They're probably launching with the same or more in Japan.

madmad90

Banned
Guess which console i bought.... I am really happy with, some of the other features like the TV and Kinect Things are pretty awesome.

Chobel

Guess which console i bought.... I am really happy with, some of the other features like the TV and Kinect Things are pretty awesome.

Are you from Germany? Because TV stuff is not good at all in Europe
Unless you're into stutter

stryke

Well, apparently you do. Good job there.

Don't patronise me. I don't care what he may think of his console, but I care enough to be annoyed that a sales thread gets bumped and all I see is some random praises of console features when I was expecting updates on the validity of these numbers...

Don't patronise me. I don't care what he may think of his console, but I care enough to be annoyed that a sales thread gets bumped and all I see is some random praises of console features when I was expecting updates on the validity of these numbers...

That's your third post on the subject. Way to not care, bub.

Finalizer

That was a little harsh don't you think? I'm sure someone does.

Well, apparently you do. Good job there.

These "well I liked [thing] anyway" type posts are defensive reactions to uncomfortable threads, and are of no worth in a sales discussion thread. They are worthless and off-topic, and are not to be encouraged.

That's your third post on the subject. Way to not care, bub.

Furthermore, this is delving into mere trolling.

Well, he has a point.
"Bu... but I like my PS4/Xbone. It's awesome!" in every sales thread, just to defend your console of choice, is getting annoying already.

Right, yet the only thing that clown achieved with the griping is that we now have more irrelevant posts. Again, good job.

These "well I liked [thing] anyway" type posts are defensive reactions to uncomfortable threads, and are of no worth in a sales discussion thread.

... but griping about it, that's alright? That's odd, because it seems to me like the supposed irritant (someone talking about a purchase) was more on topic than the reaction.

Honey Bunny

Seems like everyone is importing from the UK, talk about a vicious circle lol. Swedish shops have put up bundles with heavy mark-up, it's at the point now where it's difficult to gauge what the normal price is actually supposed to be.

Swiss site I use has US imports for a 250 dollar markup advertised on the front page. The stock indicator for the local version says they won't have more until early March. Madness.

Swiss site I use has US imports for a 250 dollar markup advertised on the front page. The stock indicator for the local version says they won't have more until early March. Madness.

The Swedish shops are really uneven with the pricing mark-up, but at least some of them are honest about the situation. Some, not so much.... buying up UK stock (presumably), upping the price and acting like it's a good deal. Weird.

demigod

Right, yet the only thing that clown achieved with the griping is that we now have more irrelevant posts. Again, good job.

... but griping about it, that's alright? That's odd, because it seems to me like the supposed irritant (someone talking about a purchase) was more on topic than the reaction.

So we're at the stage where we resort to namecalling now? Goodjob!

The ability to play TV is something special? You know you can hook a cable box directly to a tv and save power (gotta run cable box and xbox one for it to work). Thumbs up for trolls!

Someone said not in a sales thread do opinions matter...and it's partially right. Dealing with sales figures are black and white. It's a nice trend to see Sony outselling MS in virtually every country (including ps3 sales over 360 sales).

Surfheart

I'm not so sure the situation is so cut and dried in Australia. The PS4 has been heavily supply constrained since launch whereas it has been possible to locate Xbones for sale.

There is a big thread on a popular. Australian forum for people waiting for their pre- ordered PS4s. The Xbone one is tiny by comparison.

Where to find a xbox one

PS4 waiting thread

As you can see the xbone thread is 2 pages long while the PS4 thread is 52 pages into part 2.

I'm not so sure the situation is so cut and dried in Australia. The PS4 has been heavily supply constrained since launch whereas it has been possible to locate Xbones for sale.

There is a big thread on a popular. Australian forum for people waiting for their pre- ordered PS4s. The Xbone one is tiny by comparison.

Where to find a xbox one

PS4 waiting thread

As you can see the xbone thread is 2 pages long while the PS4 thread is 52 pages into part 2.

and that's a great sign for Sony. I know there was a point they were losing money but being in demand like that....good news going forward. Be interesting to see how the VR headset launch sales go

shink

Where to find a xbox one

PS4 waiting thread

Very minimal stock here indeed. You can pre-order for the February shipment though.

Rixa

This week different chains in Finland got shipments. My local Gamestop called to me yesterday that they will get their shipments of PS4 in next week (when Ill pick mine).

Ive heard that next shipment to Finland is in march, dunno how legit information is tho.

Top Bottom