• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 unveil event will have PC and PS4 versions, allow lots of YouTuber gameplay

iFirez

10am PST I guess right? So that's 6pm UK time right?!?
20 days to go!

I'm impressed that they're letting so many community members record and such; they must be happy with the state of the game and confident enough with it too... exciting times.

FinKL

Nah I've been using a cronus emulating to a K&M for a long time, outside pvp I rarely touch my controller when playing (rarely meaning sparrow racing, was impossible on K&M).

Yeah I'm not sure where people get this "Platforming on kb/m is impossible" idea. I preordered the D2 PC version at Gamestop and the guy said "you sure you want PC, I'm not sure how movement would work, it will be hard with blinking and everything"

We've been fps platforming since Unreal tournament, come on now.

jaaz

Showing the PC version and PS4 (pro) version side by side almost assures that there will be very little difference between the two in terms of IQ. Very interested to see where they go with resolution.

Regardless, I don't see how Bungie can show a PC version that significantly upstages the version from one of their content partners.

Tagyhag

I just want 60fps, please!

Showing the PC version and PS4 (pro) version side by side almost assures that there will be very little difference between the two in terms of IQ. Very interested to see where they go with resolution.

Regardless, I don't see how Bungie can show a PC version that significantly upstages the version from one of their content partners.

Even if the PC version looked much better (which it probably won't) those differences won't show up that well in streams.

ZeoVGM

Banned
"He participated in the Battle of Saturn and is the only known survivor, as his ship crashed on Mars. However, his survival was unknown at the time, as control of the Crows passed to Variks. Uldren suspected that his sister survived the battle, as he could still sense her.[citation needed] He then spent the rest of the Taken War and throughout the SIVA Crisis to search for her, evading everyone including his own followers. His last known report indicated he disguised himself as a Fallen and allowed himself to be captured in order to find the Kell of Kings and replace it in preparing for a coming war. He also indicated that Mara approved of what he was up to."

I'm sure he's going to make an appearance during the Cabal war in Destiny 2.

Man, I need to read more of the Grimoire.

nomis

Showing the PC version and PS4 (pro) version side by side almost assures that there will be very little difference between the two in terms of IQ. Very interested to see where they go with resolution. Regardless, I don't see how Bungie can show a PC version that significantly upstages the version from one of their content partners.

Please show me precedent for this being the case. Also even if you're right and they show both versions at the same settings, it doesn't mean that there won't be options far in excess of the Ps4 in the release PC build.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Wouldn't be too surprised if it was 60fps with a dynamic 4k checkerboard on the Pro, like with CoD IW last year. That would show well against the PC version.

jaaz

Please show me precedent for this being the case. Also even if you're right and they show both versions at the same settings, it doesn't mean that there won't be options far in excess of the Ps4 in the release PC build.

No precedent, just common business sense. You don't upstage one of your early content partners--or whatever the nature of Sony's deal is with Bungie--by showing a version of the game side-by-side at the same reveal event that looks significantly better. All people will be talking about is how much better it looks on the PC version. They must feel the PS4 version is very comparable.

If you want precedent, there have been a number of previously console-only game releases that have not revealed PC footage until close to release, but there could be other reasons for that--including simply that the PC version was not ready.

Wouldn't be too surprised if it was 60fps with a dynamic 4k checkerboard on the Pro, like with CoD IW last year. That would show well against the PC version.

Yep, I think this is a distinct possibility.

ZeoVGM

Banned

There is very little chance that Bungie allows Destiny 2 to be 60 FPS on Pro but 30 FPS on a regular PS4.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
There is very little chance that Bungie allows Destiny 2 to be 60 FPS on Pro but 30 FPS on a regular PS4.
Oh yeah, that definitely won't happen. Wasn't saying that. Just talking about possible configurations for the Pro that would be reasonably comparable to a PC version debut.

If it's 60fps, I imagine it'll have dynamic res on all consoles.

Deku Tree

How did the FPS work with CoD IW on PS4 vs Pro?

They should do like Nioh and give you a slate of options with a trade off between resolution and frame rate.

Give the regular PS4 a 720p 60FPS mode and a 1080 30 mode.

nomis

No precedent, just common business sense. You don't upstage one of your early content partners--or whatever the nature of Sony's deal is with Bungie--by showing a version of the game side-by-side at the same reveal event that looks significantly better. All people will be talking about is how much better it looks on the PC version. They must feel the PS4 version is very comparable.

If you want precedent, there have been a number of previously console-only game releases that have not revealed PC footage until close to release, but there could be other reasons for that--including simply that the PC version was not ready.

Yep, I think this is a distinct possibility.

Regardless of graphical settings, people will be talking about the PC version being twice+ the framerate anyways, why would they hamstring the appearance of one of their three platforms just to avoid a perception of console graphical inferiority that everyone who plays games is aware of anyways? Im pretty sure Battlefield 1 for example first showed on PC and Xbox running at like 720p, Dice didn't gimp the PC version just because of a marketing agreement. Your logic is sound, I just don't buy it actually happening.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
How did the FPS work with CoD IW on PS4 vs Pro?

They should do like Nioh and give you a slate of options with a trade off between resolution and frame rate.

Give the regular PS4 a 720p 60FPS mode and a 1080 30 mode.

Don't worry, I've got the first screenshots of the 60 FPS mode on PS4:

9NEw588.png

HmdP1fB.png

gdEPoBo.png

nomis

Holy shit @ people thinking Bungie is going to gimp the pc version so Sony doesn't cry.

Or that Sony requires platform performance parity because of a co-marketing deal.

Yeah, Sony isn't gonna lose any customers that they weren't going to lose anyways by virtue of the PC versions mere existence, just because their footage is missing a few extra particle effects etc. The backlash against Bungie/Activision for intentionally screwing over a possibly huge PC player base is way worse than some phantom threat of Sony having shit on their face.

nomis

I think people are just speculating since they're showing both versions side by side at the reveal and the first game has a very consistent presentation across platforms.

They didn't make the Xbox and Ps4 versions of D1 equivalent because they were beholden to one of the platform holders, they did it for the sake of simplicity. The power delta we're talking about here with the PC is way too big for them to ignore in the same way.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
They didn't make the Xbox and Ps4 versions of D1 equivalent because they were beholden to one of the platform holders, they did it for the sake of simplicity. The power delta we're talking about here with the PC is way too big for them to ignore in the same way.
I wasn't saying that.

I'm just saying that this event will probably not showcase dramatically higher resolutions or framerates and that Bungie isn't a studio I would expect to make an absolutely killer PC version given how similar the current and last gen versions of Destiny looked.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Hope its different enough that I know the difference between Destiny and Destiny 2 right away.
I think differences will probably be more apparent in the size/diversity of the spaces and how the player navigates into different activities as opposed to a dramatically changed gameplay loop.

Hux1ey

Banned
I think people are just speculating since they're showing both versions side by side at the reveal and the first game has a very consistent presentation across platforms.

I remember when Playground Games showed Horizon 3 for the first time on PC and it was locked to 30fps

I wasn't saying that.

I'm just saying that this event will probably not showcase dramatically higher resolutions or framerates and that Bungie isn't a studio I would expect to make an absolutely killer PC version given how similar the current and last gen versions of Destiny looked.

Exactly and probably Vicarious Visions is doing the PC port. I wonder if we will hear what exclusives ps4 will get.

jaaz

Holy shit @ people thinking Bungie is going to gimp the pc version so Sony doesn't cry.

I have an i7-6700 with a Strix OC 1080 ti and a PS4 Pro. I hope this doesn't happen because I want to completely max out this game on my PC. But I am skeptical given this news. It's not without precedent with other developers, although not Bungie to my knowledge.

Deku Tree

I hope Bungie realizes that with CoD and Overwatch etc all at 60fps that they need to be 60fps too.

That said what is the PC version gonna have ... PC gets higher res if your machine can handle it, maybe more FPS and more AA and KBM. And free online. Possibly hackers and aimbots in PvP. But that's it right?

Yeah I'm not sure where people get this "Platforming on kb/m is impossible" idea. I preordered the D2 PC version at Gamestop and the guy said "you sure you want PC, I'm not sure how movement would work, it will be hard with blinking and everything"

We've been fps platforming since Unreal tournament, come on now.

Well I'm a console pleb that just started PC gaming about a year ago, so I think that sentiment comes from people like me who haven't played a platform-y shooter on PC yet. Closest thing I can think of that I played on PC is Borderlands 2 and that didn't have anything as demanding as the platforming stuff in King's Fall.

Okay so about 30 fps potentially on PC - what many of you are neglecting to take into consideration is that Bungie has very much opted for this framerate for their console shooters specifically as a design choice. Now, i'm not gonna say one way or another whether is 30fps or 60fps, but do understand that their design team has very much designed its gameplay around 30fps in the past, including Destiny 1. They've given talks about it for crying out loud.

If you're designing gunplay & weapon balance with the FPS as such a foundational part of your gameplay design, it becomes increasingly difficult to go ahead and have a separate version in which you have to rebalance every piece of content you have produced & will produce for it. And this doesn't even take into account the fact that there are PC users who want even higher framerates than 60 fps.

You're then faced with 3 options:
- Have the PC version run 60 fps, continue pursuing 30 fps on console; rebalance new weapons between the two platforms individually. This will result in the two versions of the game feeling very different from one another, both in framerate & in gunplay.
- Lock the PC version to 30fps, release all launch & future content across PC & console with a uniform gameplay design & balance.
- Target locked 60fps between console & PC, release all launch & future content across PC & console with a uniform gameplay design & balance.

The 2nd & 3rd option requires way less work for each piece of content you decide to introduce to the game, which is something their team is going to want, since faster turnaround for content delivery from the Live team is one of their many goals for the lifespan of D2.

Now, speaking as someone who has friends/colleagues who are working on it - they are very, very confident with what they've been building since 2014, and ya'll are going to be pleasantly surprised with the game. Easily has been one of my most anticipated games for almost 2 years now.

I hope Bungie realizes that with CoD and Overwatch etc all at 60fps that they need to be 60fps too.

That said what is the PC version gonna have ... PC gets higher res if your machine can handle it, maybe more FPS and more AA and KBM. And free online. Possibly hackers and aimbots in PvP. But that's it right?

Well, they made every Halo at 30fps, so who knows. But one would hope they've finally learned.

Well, they made every Halo at 30fps, so who knows. But one would hope they've finally learned.

30FPS has never held them back from being successful. They have spent over 15 years building FPS gameplay design around that number & have given several talks in the past as to why they pursue it as a design choice. Destiny 1 is massively successful and is also 30fps.

Destiny 2 at 60fps with Keyboard and Mouse and they're gonna finish it before they launch it instead of getting it halfway to where we expected a year later

wooooooot

BigEmil

30fps first person shooter = no buy.

Destiny 2 at 60fps with Keyboard and Mouse and they're gonna finish it before they launch it instead of getting it halfway to where we expected a year later

wooooooot
You think they won't do that again? Leave out parts to sell later as expansions? This is Activision and Bungie were talking about.

30FPS has never held them back from being successful. They have spent over 15 years building FPS gameplay design around that number & have given several talks in the past as to why they pursue it as a design choice. Destiny 1 is massively successful and is also 30fps.

That's why I was saying I don't know if they're looking at 60fps and making a connection, because they made Halo which was hugely successful, as well as competitive.

With that said, their reasoning was a poor one in my opinion. Halo MCC plays better at 60fps, Halo 5 plays better at 60fps. Disregarding the gameplay response time improvement 60fps allows, I've found fluidity (or lack thereof) to be way more visually impactful than the graphical quality it compromises.

Top Bottom