• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Potato Masher (console-level used PC) vs PS4/PS4 Pro in Watch_Dogs 2

Md Ray

The biggest issue with WD2 is its VERY cpu depenant. A lot of options as well tank performance.

My 6600k at 4.7ghz just barely gets 60 at 1080 with a 1060.

i got wd2 free with my 1080 and had trouble running it at 1080p/60. game isn't very well optimized or a particularly good game in general.

Anyone having trouble targeting 60fps in this game due to CPU limitation should try targeting 50fps before resorting to 30fps. Just change the refresh rate from "60" to "50" in the display tab. I have a GTX 970/i5 3330 setup, and for me, this was the best option. Steady 50fps at 1080p using custom graphics settings that's basically High preset with a few effects turned up, and Temporal Filtering turned Off.

Difference between 50fps and 60fps is like 3 milliseconds. It's still very smooth. Definitely smoother than 30fps and unstable 60fps.

If you want a gaming pc that'll outstrip the PS4 Pro for less money, I recommend picking up an old Dell Precision with a Xeon off EBay and a RX480. It eats the Pro for dinner, and you can do a lot more with it.

Money isn't everything though. A lot of people forget that whenever these threads arise.

What kind of specs do I want from one of those Precisions? I know nothing about Xeons and I see all kinds of models.

Cartho

Oh to be in the USA. You guys don't know how lucky you are. Even a very moderate, midrange PC in the U.K. will end up costing way more. The GTX 1060 in the Potato Masher Pro alone in the U.K. will set you back £220 at least and the i5 750 will cost around £160. That totals £380 which is $487 according to Alexa.

That's already over $100 more for JUST the GPU and CPU. These "oh it's easy to build a PS4 / PS4 Pro equivalent PC for only $4-500" type things are all very well, but it simply doesn't work like that in the world outside the US.

Honestly, I don't see the point. If you're going to build a PC I think it's much more worthwhile to save up for a little longer and get something with more power.

Hux1ey

Banned
And a used PS4 is $230.

Yes, every one knows console gaming is cheaper, this is about comparing similar hardware.

Also you save a lot on PC in the long run due to free online and much cheaper games.

Honestly, I don't see the point. If you're going to build a PC I think it's much more worthwhile to save up for a little longer and get something with more power.

Agreed, but it's cool we have the option for this.

StoopKid

Yes, every one knows console gaming is cheaper, this is about comparing similar hardware.

Also you save a lot on PC in the long run due to free online and much cheaper games.

Lol who are we trying to fool

These vids are about trying to see how you can make a decent pc compared to PS4 price.

What kind of specs do I want from one of those Precisions? I know nothing about Xeons and I see all kinds of models.

Ideally the newest you can afford. The processors are great. I still have an old Xeon W3680 hexacore version. Stick an average video card in it and you're golden. Its super easy for a complete novice, and it'll be a great machine for doing other non-gaming stuff too.

pastrami

Similar hardware in what way? The tech? They certainly aren't using Jaguar CPUs. So it has to be price. But then they present a disingenuous argument by using used PC components in an attempt to drive down costs in favor of one side.

There's a craigslist ad posted yesterday in my area for a $175 PS4. But I certainly wouldn't argue that a PS4 only costs $175.

Hellshy.

Pricing out the original parts is not really relevant though since the parts are pretty old now. Even if you can find them, you're paying a premium over newer, often more capable hardware.

You can totally price out a gaming Pc that is a bit better than the Masher Pro today for a price that isn't too much more ($50 to a $100).

This is simply to illustrate what a typical mid range gaming PC available BEFORE the PS4 even came out can do today. And that is - pretty much the same or better than a PS4. The whole to the metal,superior optimizaiton , etc, etc of what si the usual console narrative, these videos show (along wiht a ton of other evidence) is mostly BULL SHIT.

With the upgraded Masher Pro, once again they're showing that the same person with that PC only had to spend about the same money or less, than selling and then upgrading to a Ps4 Pro to achieve same orbetter performance levels.

This, in other words, is the typical PC gaming scenario. Not the "$4,000 just for a few more resolution lines" - that is the typical youtube commment on DF videos, for example.

They show that PC gaming on a budget can more than keep up with consoles, and in terms of performance can still be better. Now, PC gaming on a budget isn't necessarily $299.99 at your local walmart (it usually never is), but netiher it is necessarily $1,000 or more, and there is longetivity and cheap, easy upgrade paths that have you still getting better performance than consoles, even console refreshers like the Pro.

So you think that horizon would play and look as good on that pc as it does on a ps4 or a pro? Maybe the issue is most multiplatform games don't take advantage of to the metal coding.

LordRaptor

Sad Affleck, you put "vs", "PC", and "PS4" in the title, so regardless of qualifiers the depressingly predictable results ensued.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
So you think that horizon would play and look as good on that pc as it does on a ps4 or a pro? Maybe the issue is most multiplatform games don't take advantage of to the metal coding.

"Small forwards are generally worse ball-handlers and passers than Point Guards"

"So you think Eric Snow was a better passer than Lebron James?"

ViolentP

There is a huge difference between can and want. If more people realized that, experiments like these wouldn't feel so offensive.

Hux1ey

Banned
Lol who are we trying to fool

These vids are about trying to see how you can make a decent pc compared to PS4 price.

That's part of it, but it's about showing how this machine compares to the PS4 over the generation. I think it's interesting.

Similar hardware in what way? The tech? They certainly aren't using Jaguar CPUs. So it has to be price. But then they present a disingenuous argument by using used PC components in an attempt to drive down costs in favor of one side.

There's a craigslist ad posted yesterday in my area for a $175 PS4. But I certainly wouldn't argue that a PS4 only costs $175.

Power wise I meant, obviously this is a pretty low end machine, even for 2014.

There is a huge difference between can and want. If more people realized that, experiments like these wouldn't feel so offensive.

I can't believe anyone could find this offensive tbh.

xJavonta

Banned
There's always people coming into these thread to whine about it being "not fair" as if that's the point of the video

Maybe watch the damn video before bitching about typical fanboy shit. The whole point is to inform those considering PC gaming of what can be done on a console budget. It's not trying to say PC gaming is the ultimate platform and that PS4 is a terrible deal or anything like that. Stop being so defensive of your purchase

Lister

Banned

Yes? Do you have any evidence that it wouldn't?

The CPU would have to be beefier than what's on the console, but that's a given, and even entry level gaming PC's have CPU's that are significantly more powerful than what's on consoles.

Lister

Banned
I think the point was that PS4 can do things PC can't, just like PC can do things PS4 can't.

Also none of those games listed are available on PSNow

Persona is nearly playable on Ps3 emulator though, isn't it? I think we'll have a fully playable version by the fall.

Same for the new Zelda, somehting your PS4 definitely can't do.

I just love seeing what budget PC hardware can do and it's great that old hardware can stay relevant over the course of many years.

I just love seeing what budget PC hardware can do and it's great that old hardware can stay relevant over the course of many years.

Yep, That's why I still love my old build, no need to upgrade for me, the longevity is really nice because I'm fine with 30 fps and medium graphics personally.

Darkroronoa

Oh to be in the USA. You guys don't know how lucky you are. Even a very moderate, midrange PC in the U.K. will end up costing way more. The GTX 1060 in the Potato Masher Pro alone in the U.K. will set you back £220 at least and the i5 750 will cost around £160. That totals £380 which is $487 according to Alexa.

That's already over $100 more for JUST the GPU and CPU. These "oh it's easy to build a PS4 / PS4 Pro equivalent PC for only $4-500" type things are all very well, but it simply doesn't work like that in the world outside the US.

You would not buy a i5 750 CPU today, a Pentium G4560 is better and much cheaper. Also you can buy them ALOT cheaper than £160 using ebay.

But yeah US prices are very good, here in europe hardware is more expensive after taxes, still not that bad.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
There's always people coming into these thread to whine about it being "not fair" as if that's the point of the video

Maybe watch the damn video before bitching about typical fanboy shit. The whole point is to inform those considering PC gaming of what can be done on a console budget. It's not trying to say PC gaming is the ultimate platform and that PS4 is a terrible deal or anything like that. Stop being so defensive of your purchase

It seems to do a good job producing "fanboy shit" from both sides of the issue though. The only thing this seems to prove is that old parts for cheap can get you a comparable or better experience on a multi platform game.

bee

I think the point was that PS4 can do things PC can't, just like PC can do things PS4 can't.

Also none of those games listed are available on PSNow

not quite yet but as i'm sure you know, they are coming later in the year

also what can a ps4 do that a pc can't? (plz don't list games :p )

LordRaptor

Destroyed.

Again - wtf?
Just flinging shit at someone is "destroyed"? Whats my stance??? Why is it amazing??

I don't know why I'm bothering, he's not coming back and nobody is going to quote anything that makes me look like a hypocrite because I've literally never posted anything about "you shouldn't compare the switch to things" let alone have a stance on it.

e: just super low effort console warrior ad hominems.

Hux1ey

Banned
And yet when a console owner says the exact same thing, responses are completely different.

They are? Some are happy with 30fps medium settings, some are not. Many PC gamers play old crappy old laptops, they just like the type of games PC offers, it's not always about graphics/performance.

You would not buy a i5 750 CPU today, a Pentium G4560 is better and much cheaper. Also you can buy them ALOT cheaper than £160 using ebay.

But yeah US prices are very good, here in europe hardware is more expensive after taxes, still not that bad.

Yup. The G4560 is £51.99 or lower for instance, and a solid performer. It's a great time to be a budget builder.

Hellshy.

Yes? Do you have any evidence that it wouldn't?

The CPU would have to be beefier than what's on the console, but that's a given, and even entry level gaming PC's have CPU's that are significantly more powerful than what's on consoles.

Hard to find evidence but look at most big first party titles on ps4 . They usually perform better and look better than most multuplatform games on console. Clearly there is a benefit they have to focusing on one hardware set and to the metal coding.

On my pro horizon looks better than most games i own on pc. It is one of the best looking games I have ever seen.

jaypah

As a console and PC gamer I love these videos. Fun seeing how hardware stacks up over time. The threads are pretty good too. I think some people get the wrong idea about these videos and it leads to entertaining posts. But then it gets too bad, like the guy who was a little funny because he was too drunk but then he got destructive and it wasn't as funny anymore.

LordRaptor

Hard to find evidence but look at most big first party titles on ps4 . They usually perform better and look better than most multuplatform games on console.

First party console titles benefit from the financial benefits that they are funded by a platform owner, and they are funded by a platform owner for reasons beyond making that single title as profitable as possible.
e: Its not "to the metal coding".
Its time and money (which are basically the same thing).

NastyBook

They are? Some are happy with 30fps medium settings, some are not. Many PC gamers play old crappy old laptops, they just like the type of games PC offers, it's not always about graphics/performance.
I'm referring strictly to the bubble of neogaf, where this happens often whenever the discussion of PC vs consoles comes up. And I agree with you, btw.

SgtCobra

This thread has officially become a PC vs Consoles thread, please thread with caution, respect your fellow GAFfer, listen to each other and most importantly, have fun.

jaypah

First party console titles benefit from the financial benefits that they are funded by a platform owner, and they are funded by a platform owner for reasons beyond making that single title as profitable as possible.
e: Its not "to the metal coding".
Its time and money (which are basically the same thing).

Time, money and talent. We can't have threads praising Sony devs but then place the praise on "to the metal". Sony allows games to cook, they put money into them and their devs are pretty damn talented. All things that we hear a lot when we discuss why other companies don't stack up.

93xfan

Banned

Agreed, but it's cool we have the option for this.

If it was just about comparing similar hardware, they wouldn't be mentioning the price of the masher so much.

bee

And you'll be playing those games the exact same way PS4 owners do, albeit with some added latency. Is that really what you want as a PC gamer?

options are never a bad thing (one of the best things about pc actually), personally i have no interest in playing any of them, they're just not for me

oSoLucky

Can we just talk about how amazing the Potato Masher is for a PC build?

I wish the videos were just about that. There is no need to compare to any console unless fishing for clicks imo. That's my biggest gripe with the whole series. Anyone that actually cares about the performance comparisons can easily enough search DF videos on the PS4 version. I'm completely down with extolling the virtues of gaming on a budget, but these are just bad and needless comparisons all around.

The ironic thing is, that both sides(PC and console warriors) in these threads continually make disingenuous or uninformed claims and look silly to me in the process. PC to console is apple to oranges to start, so I guess you're destined for shit discussion when you start with a shit premise.

It would be cool if more companies sold pre-built "Potato Mashers", but most that I've found charge more than what the actual machine is worth. I've been thinking of getting a HTPC(gotta leave the big tower in the bedroom) and would pay a small premium for not having to shop around so much, I do that enough when I upgrade the main one.

LordRaptor

I wish the videos were just about that. There is no need to compare to any console unless fishing for clicks imo.

I mean... I see your point and understand it, but I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with "most popular consoles performance on a TV" as a baseline for comparison for multi-platform titles.

Top Bottom