• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Source 2 and Left 4 Dead 3 accidentally confirmed by Valve tour group of dev floor

AHA-Lambda

What's the blue circle thing under the product images?

I recognise DOTA 2, Steam and I assume Source 2, what's the other one?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I hope they change things up for L4D3 as opposed to doing what L4D2 did and simply expand the concept but still feel pretty much the same but with 'more'.

I remember a video of Source 2 of them showing off a huge flock of crows years ago. I wonder if they could make super swarms of zombies, or hell, I'll take flocks of zombie crows.

Team Fortress 3 will (likely) take another 8-9 years just like last time folks, don't do this to yourselves.

I mean, we're already 6 years there.
But it's titled '3', so we gotta multiple the amount of time between the original and the sequel by 2.

MrCow

Guys .. you guys .. listen

what if - no hear me - what if L4D3 is actually the codename for Half Life 3?

feel

So excited for the Source 2 games. Playing all Source 1 games has been an incredible ride this past decade. I adore their visuals and feel, <3 Valve.

About L4D3, I hope they make a deeper campaign that is not held back by Multiplayer balance.

AndyCH

Banned
Yawn. like we didn't know Source 2 would be coming.

L4D3 is somewhat interesting...I hope they change it up a bit

Valve can fuck off and stay fucked off. It's quite clear that they've had a bunch of mongoloids running the place for the past decade. 10 years, and they haven't even fucking acknowledged the fans of one of the best games ever released. But hey, I guess there are steam deals every 6 months :LOL

Those L4D and Portal mini-games are just an elaborate ruse.

lololololololololol

Bluth54

I mean, we're already 6 years there.
But it's titled '3', so we gotta multiple the amount of time between the original and the sequel by 2.
But do these last 3 years count since TF2 is still in active development?

It will be interesting to see what Valve decides to do with TF3. The easy way out would be to make a direct sequel to TF2 and port over the maps/weapons/hats/modes to Source 2 and add new content. I don't see Valve taking the easy way though.

I could see Valve wanting to go a different direction. Will they keep the same art style/character designs? The TF2 characters have pretty much become Valve's mascot characters thanks to the videos and comics they do and I can see how they wouldn't want to change them.

robin2

I'd like to hear leaks about Doug Church doing some new immersive sim, more than anything else valve related.

EVIL

T6k3fZR.png

Exactly, could be Ricochet 2, I'm assuming CS:GO is the little globe icon cause you know it is global, so IDK.

The globe is referring to web development (l4d blogs, tf2 blogs, dota 2 blogs, valve software website, international website, etc. globe AND steam app icon refers to work on their web API)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Given that Source 2 will assuredly tackle Source's awful data streaming (or lack thereof), Left 4 Dead would be pretty good franchise to explore larger, more open world-like levels and chapters. I could see it being a frontrunner for the engine.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Given that Source 2 will assuredly tackle Source's awful data streaming (or lack thereof), Left 4 Dead would be pretty good franchise to explore larger, more open world-like levels and chapters. I could see it being a frontrunner for the engine.
The entire franchise is built on short destination hopping runs between fixed locations with reprieve between them.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
The entire franchise is built on short destination hopping runs between fixed locations with reprieve between them.

One huge level that has safe houses, but no loading, maybe there are paths that cut out the safe houses but obviously failure would send you much further back.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

You could achieve that with smart safe house positioning.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Erik Wolpaw implied as much when he said that "We're going to fix [the need for loading screens] eventually" during his Q&A at NYU a couple of weeks after Portal 2 released.

Enco

Coming soon! (2018)

I look forward to seeing what they do. Valve games have HORRENDOUS loading times. Hopefully this is fixed. Easily the worst loading times of any game I have ever played. Ever.

tci

L4D is one of my favorite coop series. Hopefully they keep it a little more true to the original than the second one. The atmosphere was much better.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
You could achieve that with smart safe house positioning.
I see Left 4 Dead as an extremely linear game where most of its balance is adjusted around very specific sightlines, paths, and small side areas. I'm not sure what value opening up the world brings to a game like this where you are supposed to scrape by from checkpoint to checkpoint. Why should players go one way over another? What is going to keep players bound together if the environments open up to much? The complications don't really seem worthwhile to me, but I guess I also don't really know how else they would differentiate a third entry into the series in a valuable way beyond changing things for the sake of change.

Saty

The 'Source 2' column is for everything that using the engine, HL3 included. So there's no need for a separate column for it. It would be nice if we could read the other descriptions under '2'.

I'm just hoping the The Director is actually good this time around and that levels are altered accordingly.

The Parish's "changing" paths were a bit of a joke.

That is the thing I'm looking forward to and hopefully that can be delivered in L4D3.

wizzbang

Banned
The Orange Box 2
Left 4 Dead 3
Team Fortress 3
Portal 3

that is all

This shit needs to die, Valve are much bigger now, things have completely changed. The Orange Box was an anomaly.

Portal 3 could be a full $60 game, I'd pay it. It could be a full $90 game infact if it's as good as Portal 2.
TF3 doesn't need to be made.
Left For Dead, considering the long long long tail of ongoing support is probably going to fetch at least $40 US at launch, if not a full 50 or 60$ US

I was one of the bitter as fuck people over L4D2 (long story, no point re-hashing it all, many people had their reasons) - it's been a reasonable amount of time, L4D1 was amazing. L4D3 could fetch mad money.
Unless "Orange Box 2" is $100 US - this kind of bundle isn't going to happen again.

Metal-Geo

The changing paths in general were a joke. They were praising it during the development of L4D2... but eventually we just got a route that rarely opens up in Dead Center, some minor obscure difference in the graveyard of The Parish and... that's it, I think? Oh, no, a door and an alley that may or may not be blocked in the first chapter of The Parish.

wizzbang

Banned
What if Portal 3, Hal-Life 3, Team Fortress 3 and Left 4 Dead 3 are the same game :eek:

Portal 3 and HL3 could be at least close - they've tied the universes together a little bit. However there's an element of playing it smart - tie them loosely together, let the audiences imagination wonder - no need to actually write any more than that, just fleeting references. I bet Portal 1/2/ Aperture gets a few nods in HL3 too, but very, very little - just enough to wet appetites, smart way to play it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The 'Source 2' column is for everything that using the engine, HL3 included. So there's no need for a separate column for it. It would be nice if we could read the other descriptions under '2'.

I don't think that's the case as having multiple large-scale projects under the one tag would get messy rather quickly -- note that Dota 2 has its own tag rather than being lumped under a more broad Source tag, for instance. More likely is that it refers to Source 2 development in general and whatever Carson was working on incorporated L4D3 in some way.

Zeknurn

L4D3 is nothing new, it was confirmed to be in some kind of development months ago. My guess would be another reveal Microsoft E3 press conference. The franchise always did better on consoles.

It will be interesting to see if they bring every Dota 2 feature into L4D3.

wizzbang

Banned
No, I thought of that too and this corroborates that they're working hard on L4D3 right now. They might use it as the poster-child for the Source 2 engine with the majority of employees moving over to HL3 after L4D3 is finished. Haha, who am I kidding, they'll work on Portal 3 instead.

Good, a sequel to the best game they've ever made sounds alright to me. Although it'd be difficult to top.

Hindle

Banned
I'm interested as to how they change the design.

. I'm expecting a map that's more centralised, like a fort. The players have to go out and bring back items to build up this fort, be it new weapons, or defensive barriers.

Top Bottom