• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Covenant isn't even out yet but let's speculate on Alien: Awakening

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I'm super-pumped for Covenant, everything I've seen points to it probably having a pretty simple monster-movie plot. Ridley Scott has already told us that the next film will be a prequel to Covenant titled Awakening. So simply, what do you guys think the movie will be about, who will it focus on and how will it tie together with Prometheus and Covenant?

Personally, I feel it's going to delve into what David did in those 10 years in between the films. We will see what David learned from studying the engineers in that time and what makes him want to destroy that civilization in the beginning of Covenant. We'll also see him expermenting on them while trying to create the "perfect organism", since he now sees himself as God, even over the engineers it seems.

So what do you guys think? Will Shaw be back? Will it be a one man show just focusing on David? Will it all take place on the dreadnaut ship or will it also be on planet "Paradise"? Will we get a lot of alien action or will it be more restrained like Prometheus? I know Covenant isn't even out yet but since Awakening is a prequel I don't think it's ridiculous to speculate...so speculate!

It's a prequel? Well they'd probably want a human element. Before sending a colony ship you'd probably send an exploratory mission right? So they'd do it that way unless they go Predators style bonkers

200w.gif

EGM1966

Wait what.... we're going from Prometheus as a prequel to Alien to Covenant as a sequel to Prometheus and a prequel to Alien to Awakening as a prequel to Covenant and a prequel to Alien and I presume a sequel to Prometheus (assuming it's set between that and Covenant)?

Must have missed that detail and that's just plain bonkers.

Blader

I assume he misspoke, because the Convent prologue that was just released tells the whole story of what happens between Prometheus and Covenant already.

Chemo

The only reason I'm even going to see another Alien movie is because of Danny McBride. My speculation about Awakening is that I probably won't go see it, I guess.

I assume he misspoke, because the Convent prologue that was just released tells the whole story of what happens between Prometheus and Covenant already.
Yeah, fully aware that he could've misspoke or was speaking in a non-committal stream of consciousness, I just wanted to enjoy what he stated for a moment as someone who wants a full movie like what we got with The Crossing. Now I want him to double down and clarify what Awakening is. I haven't seen a more recent interviewer reference Awakening in a question to Scott, just asking really nebulous, "Do you make another one after Covenant?"

Yeah, fully aware that he could've misspoke or was speaking in a non-committal stream of consciousness, I just wanted to enjoy what he stated for a moment as someone who wants a full movie like what we got with The Crossing. Now I want him to double down and clarify what Awakening is. I haven't seen a more recent interviewer reference Awakening in a question to Scott, just asking really nebulous, "Do you make another one after Covenant?"

Hopefully Ridley Scott had just gotten into the red wine again. At least if he was drunk again, he didn't do something really stupid this time like hiring Lindelof again.

jett

D-Member

Not exactly, I think it's like 10 years of difference between Covenant and Prometheus.

Not sure what you can fit in there though... Another human spaceship crashing on that planet? :p

Yeah. Prometheus.

There's literally nothing that possibly makes me think Scott will make something worse than AVP:R.

Mobius 1

I watched Prometheus again this week. The idiotic decisions are still there, but without the high expectations of old I enjoyed it, if anything for adding to the universe and it's absolutely flawless production design.

And David. Fassbender is already up there as one of the best things on the whole franchise.

Strimei

Wait, another prequel? To what is itself a prequel? Which is itself like a sequel to a prequel?

Jesus Christ, Ridley.

I enjoyed Prometheus, dumb as it was, and am looking forward to Covenant, but dunno how I feel about this.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Can Ridley Scott just show a queen or pulse rifle on screen for gods sake. His final validation.

Strimei

After watching Prometheus a couple of times, the only thing I'm confused about is why the engineers decided to wipe out humans.

Can't blame him after seeing the bumbling idiots they sent to that planet.

In all seriousness though, yeah that's a point that should be expanded. I vaguely recall hearing something about two factions of engineers and stuff, maybe from the novelization?

Tovarisc

Tad off-topic, but Aliens related.

Did these Ridley Scott projects really kill off Neill Blomkamp's Aliens project? I remember there been some talk that Neil abandoned project after Ridley elbowed to in front of him in line for making Aliens stuff.

Tad off-topic, but Aliens related.

Did these Ridley Scott projects really kill off Neill Blomkamp's Aliens project? I remember there been some talk that Neil abandoned project after Ridley elbowed to in front of him in line for making Aliens stuff.
Yeah, seems so.
Blomkamp is making short VR movies I believe.

Bumping this thread because a short interview was uploaded today where someone asks Fassbender if he'd be returning for the next Alien film, failing to bring up the "Awakening" title, but specifically mentioning the timeline Scott stated once. Fassbender doesn't correct him and says yes. But it's a pretty fluffy "yes" and during a press junket it might be extra awkward to say that your director misspoke, if that's the case.

EXCL – Alien: Covenant, BadTaste.it intervista Michael Fassbender

Anyone seen any better followup questions on Awakening directly to Scott? I'll stay on the lookout myself.

Just for my own curiosity (because I don't really know the industry), is there a reason why interviewers wouldn't be asking about Awakening? Is it interview etiquette? Is it a case of interviewers not doing their homework? Is it because the question would only serve a niche audience? Is it that there's an agreement in place to not to ask about the specifics of the next movies atm (or at least to not upload those segments of the interview until Covenant's released in more countries), even if Scott's already mentioned it himself? It just seems to me like Awakening is one of the obvious things to ask Scott about if you managed to grab him after that Fandango interview dropped.

Prometheus and the first AvP movie basically share a bunch of the same plot points and concepts because they're both made from the same notes/concepts left behind from the making of Alien

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
The twist all along was the Aliens made the Prometheus people and are actually super intelligent creatures that speak in a British accent.

It just seems to me like Awakening is one of the obvious things to ask Scott about if you managed to grab him after that Fandango interview dropped.

Like you suggest, it's probably just a combo of

- the people who made AC are only available because they're out promoting AC
- readers and media consumers are more interested in the soon-to-be-released AC than the idea of a prequel/sequel to it
- there really isn't that much of AA to talk about

Alien Covenant was originally going to be Prometheus: Paradise Lost or something like that.

Just because RS said he's making Alien Awakening, a prequel to a sequel of a prequel, doesn't mean it's actually coming out.

Like you suggest, it's probably just a combo of

- the people who made AC are only available because they're out promoting AC
- readers and media consumers are more interested in the soon-to-be-released AC than the idea of a prequel/sequel to it
- there really isn't that much of AA to talk about

Yeah, gotta promote the tangible movie that's releasing right now, of course. I wouldn't want to know before seeing Covenant what conventional sequels to it have in store (ignoring that we know that it ties into the original Alien), but with Awakening falling between Prometheus and Covenant I think I have an idea of what that hints at and that's been distracting and I'd appreciate a few words of clarification. "Awakening returns to Shaw's journey," or, "It's not Shaw's story," mostly. I get that outside of Fox broadcasting The Crossing prologue, they're not reminding people about Shaw much for whatever number of reasons. And due to release order, the premise of Awakening could be spoilerific to Covenant regardless of it being a prequel. We'll see what the interviews are like after Covenant's wide release.

Alien Covenant was originally going to be Prometheus: Paradise Lost or something like that.

Just because RS said he's making Alien Awakening, a prequel to a sequel of a prequel, doesn't mean it's actually coming out.
Oh, I know this all too well. Prometheus 2, as told in interviews, has changed so much over the years. I've stated many times here that I was jelling a lot with Scott's, "The beast is done. Cooked," sentiment back in 2014 in regards to the Xenomorph. I was expecting a more unique direction from this saga... What could have been~

wait, so we're getting 1 then 3 then 2? what the fucking fuck?

There's been no clarification after Scott's single casual mention of the subtitle "Awakening" and where it fits chronologically, but that seems to be the case at the moment.

I speculate that it'll never be made after this one bombs.
An interview just went up with Scott revealing how much Covenant cost.

Ridley Scott via The Guardian said:
A film like Alien: Covenant would normally be 100 days; we did it in 74. We made it for $111m, as opposed to $180m or $260m.

It's a bit lower than Prometheus' estimated budget of $120-30 in 2012, I believe. I don't know the intricacies of either budget, or how marketing money factors in on the end. But it's some data to help measure if Covenant bombs or not (not that I'd be the one to interpret that, I don't understand how this stuff works).

Spoke too soon today, an interview was uploaded where someone asks Scott about this...

Ridley Scott's secret plans for the future of the Alien franchise (fyi there's a Xenomorph origin detail that nearly everyone knows just before the embedded timestamp)

... and Scott talks right over the Awakening part of the question at 4:11, likely doesn't hear it and talks generally about sequels :lol Interesting answer regardless.

That's enough Covenant for me today. Looks like the interviews are going into the specifics of the movie too, understandably. So maybe I'm done digging through these until I watch Covenant and I'll wait to see if there's spoiler-free Awakening news that spreads around in the interim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom